47 47
quade

DB Cooper

In 1975 a skull and parachute were found approx 10 miles east of Estacada Oregon. The FBI determined it was not Cooper (because it was South of the Jump Zone)

Apparently kids had been trying to shoot the parachute out of a tree for several years, and only when a skull was found nearby (by forest workers) was a connection made that it could be Cooper.

I have a transcript of the original news article, but no follow up article that I can find anywhere. Does anyone have any other info on this? I find it hard to believe that nothing else was found. Lack of info on this makes me go HMMMMM

TESTXYZ: While the list of serial numbers was sent to banks, only a very small percentage of bills were checked against it. The Cooper money could very easily have been spent w/o anyone catching it

To the members of the Dropzone online forum:

The curators for the Washington State Historical Society’s exhibition, COOPER, currently on display at the Washington State History Museum in Tacoma, would like to share some information regarding new additions recently made to both our museum’s temporary exhibition and online gallery on the WSHS website, relating to the history and investigation of the hijacking that occurred on November 24, 1971.

Among the new additions now on display for review, are a 1:50 scale model of the Boeing 727-051 aircraft that served as Northwest Orient Airlines flight 305, fabricated with a “cutaway” view of the aircraft for viewing the interior spaces; and original notes and documents on loan from the family of George Harrison, the Northwest Airlines executive at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport who coordinated the hijacker’s demands with the FBI and local law enforcement. The archives from Mr. Harrison include documents never before seen by the public, including 23 pages of handwritten notes with a timeline of the hijacking as it unfolded; a refueling receipt for the Northwest aircraft; copy of the check made out to Seafirst National Bank, for the $200,000 ransom amount paid to the hijacker; and an original copy of the teletype transcript of communications, between the crew of flight 305 and Sea-Tac Airport.

The Washington State Historical Society has obtained special permission from the lender, to digitize and make available the 23 pages of notes by George Harrison, and offer these for review as part of our COOPER gallery of media and information, and which may be accessed at the following URL: http://collections.washingtonhistory.org/details.aspx?id=122775

In addition, we also have new interviews from NW flight 305 passenger Bill Mitchell, and Wally Johnson, Ret. USAF, who was one of the loadmasters for the 727 test flight conducted January 6, 1972.

We are pleased as well, that all of these recent additions have come to WSHS from sources who have just recently contacted our organization and come forward, since the exhibition opened on August 25, 2013.

Please join us this year on November 30, 2013, when WSHS hosts the annual Cooper symposium at the Washington State History Museum (information here: http://www.washingtonhistory.org/events.aspx?eid=141&pid=0). The exhibition will be on display through January 5, 2014 in Tacoma, and hope each of you may have an opportunity to come visit and see firsthand the history behind both Dan Cooper and the legacy of air travel security we have today.

Regards,
WSHS

wshscurators

The curators for the Washington State Historical Society’s exhibition, COOPER, currently on display at the Washington State History Museum in Tacoma, would like to share some information regarding new additions recently made to both our museum’s temporary exhibition and online gallery on the WSHS website, relating to the history and investigation of the hijacking that occurred on November 24, 1971.

Among the new additions now on display for review, are a 1:50 scale model of the Boeing 727-051 aircraft that served as Northwest Orient Airlines flight 305, fabricated with a “cutaway” view of the aircraft for viewing the interior spaces; and original notes and documents on loan from the family of George Harrison, the Northwest Airlines executive at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport who coordinated the hijacker’s demands with the FBI and local law enforcement. The archives from Mr. Harrison include documents never before seen by the public, including 23 pages of handwritten notes with a timeline of the hijacking as it unfolded; a refueling receipt for the Northwest aircraft; copy of the check made out to Seafirst National Bank, for the $200,000 ransom amount paid to the hijacker; and an original copy of the teletype transcript of communications, between the crew of flight 305 and Sea-Tac Airport.

The Washington State Historical Society has obtained special permission from the lender, to digitize and make available the 23 pages of notes by George Harrison, and offer these for review as part of our COOPER gallery of media and information, and which may be accessed at the following URL: http://collections.washingtonhistory.org/details.aspx?id=122775

In addition, we also have new interviews from NW flight 305 passenger Bill Mitchell, and Wally Johnson, Ret. USAF, who was one of the loadmasters for the 727 test flight conducted January 6, 1972.

We are pleased as well, that all of these recent additions have come to WSHS from sources who have just recently contacted our organization and come forward, since the exhibition opened on August 25, 2013.

Please join us this year on November 30, 2013, when WSHS hosts the annual Cooper symposium at the Washington State History Museum (information here: http://www.washingtonhistory.org/events.aspx?eid=141&pid=0). The exhibition will be on display through January 5, 2014 in Tacoma, and hope each of you may have an opportunity to come visit and see firsthand the history behind both Dan Cooper and the legacy of air travel security we have today.

Regards,
WSHS

WSHS CURATORS, You cannot overestimate the value of the information that you have linked to in your post. Just glancing at it as it was printing out, I see information that is extremely valuable and which I have not been able to find elsewhere.

Please post the links to any additional information such as this that you may obtain. Again, you cannot overestimate its value to a researcher.

Also, if you ever come in contact with anyone, such as an FAA Air Traffic Controller who has a complete copy of the Seattle ATC transcripts, including the phone crosstalk between the sector controllers who worked the hijacked flight, please ask them to permit you to post it online. The FBI has released a highly redacted copy of that transcript which essentially removes all information that would assist researchers.

Thanks again.

Robert Nicholson

Wow! Way to go WSHS. This is more new info than we've seen in a long time here.

Hopefully it will give us a temporary bickering break while this new info is examined.

Thanks for posting here.

(proud to have loaned his Cooper twenty to the exhibit)
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

RobertMBlevins

***Robert says: I don't mind laying everything on the line regarding Christiansen.

when asked to produce evidence, he says this:

"I'm going to direct you to Geoff Gray for proof on how Kenny bought the Bonney Lake house for cash. He was the first to claim that as fact, also correct? So ask him how he found out. (*smiles*) And although I already know the answer, I'm not doing other peoples' homework anymore. It's a trust issue. It's a Cooperland thing."

have you figured out the Satisfaction Of Mortgage yet? 18 years to pay it off?

I believe Kenny was working for NWO in 1961 correct? how could he afford to buy real estate on probably less than $512 in 61? he was in poverty in 71 according to statements from you (*giggle*) you claim to know when Kenny paid the lots off, do you mind laying that out for me, proof wise? (Documents) Tom, Dick & Harry will not be enough proof. I can also play the 'trust issue" card in this matter.

can you explain once again how the Rainier apartments were sleazy in 1971. they were built in the mid to late 60's. this is less than 3 miles from the LUXURIOUS homes in Bonney lake. hijacker specials?

These questions will undoubtably be answered over the next few months. I knew that after I released the report on Christiansen, someone, somewhere, at some point...was going to step forward and provide professional assistance. That is what is going on now. So I will leave it up to them.

I still say that for now, you should try contacting Geoff Gray and get his opinion. No matter how you cut it, he was the first to claim some of these things on Christiansen. Most of my work has been with the people Christiansen knew, not his transactions, with the exception of the cash loan to Dawn Andrusko.

I thought you had proof Kenny paid cash for his house? a couple months to find out? once again, you are a little late to be trying to figure this out now.

So, you can't answer how Kenny was able to purchase real estate in 1961, but, managed to SAY Kenny paid cash for his house in 1972? I can't contact Gray. he didn't write your book, you did. this is your mess. why don't YOU contact Gray and clean this up? how do you say it. I'm not doing everyone's homework!

The True Story Of DB Cooper ya say....Hmmmm
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

Absolutely fantastic. I had communicated many yrs ago with Mitchell, but did NOT have the recent picture I acquired of one of the suspects - one concealed from the public by the FBI (one can only wonder why). I need for Mitchell to see this picture and the explanations of the chin. Missing teeth on the lower level - probably wearing a cheap prosthetic at the time of skyjacking which created the pursing of the mouth the composite artist could not get past!

I cannot afford nor am I physically able to make the trip nor do I want to put myself in the public. I only ask that you allow me to send that photo along with some other photos - and hope that Mitchell will NOW be able to ID the suspect as a NO or YES.

Mitchell only saw the pictures I had in the beginning and not the last pictures I acquired AFTER he and I ceased communications.

Any assistance on this will be appreciated. I do NOT need to contact Mitchell myself as you guys can forward the pictures to him - he may be shocked to see the NEW one that a man on this thread located. The FBI had denied my access to that particular set of photo.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Wow! Way to go WSHS. This is more new info than we've seen in a long time here.

Hopefully it will give us a temporary bickering break while this new info is examined.

Thanks for posting here.

+100000
I second this post. Thanks for posting WSHS!!
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

smokin99

***Wow! Way to go WSHS. This is more new info than we've seen in a long time here.

Thanks for posting here.

+100000
I second this post. Thanks for posting WSHS!!

This is some very interesting stuff. I notice further validation that Ted Mayfield's name popped up rather quickly.
but....A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.....Winston Churchill

Tried to see some of it and hear some of it - but dial-up got me no where. Had contacted people about new system - but out of my pocketbook range, but during a hurricane - the tower are down and out. NO go for someone who does NOT leave during a hurricane.

Oh, well, maybe someone can put them on a disk for me. The library here is very small and the unemployed people stack up to use them. I am allowed an hour, but as SLOW as I am - would take me an hour to get on the computer and there is NO privacy!

You guys will just have to tell me what is going on. I did get to listen to the 1st few minutes of Mitchell, but got as far at the boarding of the plane! That is all I got.

uberalles

In 1975 a skull and parachute were found approx 10 miles east of Estacada Oregon. The FBI determined it was not Cooper (because it was South of the Jump Zone)

Apparently kids had been trying to shoot the parachute out of a tree for several years, and only when a skull was found nearby (by forest workers) was a connection made that it could be Cooper.

I have a transcript of the original news article, but no follow up article that I can find anywhere. Does anyone have any other info on this? I find it hard to believe that nothing else was found. Lack of info on this makes me go HMMMMM

TESTXYZ: While the list of serial numbers was sent to banks, only a very small percentage of bills were checked against it. The Cooper money could very easily have been spent w/o anyone catching it

Some where in all of the footage of paper crap is notes and paperwork, I spoke with a young man who lived in Or - but, it was 20's supposedly found - not a skull.

The skull comes from another "find" if one wished to call them that. The skull turned out to be an indian squaw and not recent enough to be Cooper.

Sounds like two stories got co-mingled into one. Two separate entities - hence the Cooper Myths.

Yea, you would be hanging your head low and hoping NO ONE recognized you. You have repeatedly made claims and as soon as you see the heat is on - you tuck your head between your legs and run like CHICKEN LITTLE - "I didn't do it", "It's not my fault - that's what Grey said".

You blame everyone else for your mistakes rather than owing up to the fact that you created a story about a man for whom there was absolutely NO reason to think was Cooper. No confession. No evidence, No facts, No personal knowledge - JUST the forcing and fabrication of things to write a book and make a name for yourself - hoping to cash in on FAME!

At least Duane did confess, he had a criminal record, he was in WA, he fit the ID, He had dark brown eyes, he had the right complexion, he had a scar on his (now I forgot) which hand, but it is in the San Quentin file so it is NOT just words from Jo Weber.

Weber's whereabouts were unknown in Nov of 1971, He had a motive, he had a reason, he had opportunity, he confessed, he had the ticket and a stub, he had the white bank bag, he had a part of a chute, he had the right kind of voice, he had the knowledge of the area, he was broke and looking for a way to stay off the streets. Prison would have been better than the streets for a kidney patient.

I didn't make any of the above up, but since I didn't know who the hell Dan Cooper was - I have no evidence.
OR do I? Time will tell - so far the Historical site hasn't denounced Weber that I am aware of or one of you would have told me so.

If the museum mentions Mayfield as suspect or KC or DL or Drayton - then one would think it essential to talk about the longest running suspect. In so far as I know NO suspect has been mentioned by the site! Gray is promoting his book, but he has NOT declared anyone suspect over another!
Must not forget Coffelt and the many other suspects! Some of which have only been conjured up by individuals writing a book or just wanting to be a part of the Cooper Mystery!

To support one suspect over another suspect or provide time for Blevins or those who wrote about there suspects - would be taking a birds eye view of the case. It is either ALL or NONE at all. If the state presents one subject over another - they place themselves in the position of judge and juror.

Since I cannot down load the stuff and only know what is being said in this thread - has the museum favored a suspect or allowed the books on certain suspects to be presented at the thread? If so they have to give fair representation to ALL suspects.

There is only one who will make history and that is the REAL Cooper, but who is the Real Cooper? Have they found his BONES or made a positive match with dna or prints?

Maybe Vickie's Dad - You Think?;)

I emailed Marla last weekend asking her if she'd consider posting again here when I thought Robert was leaving for awhile. She hasn't responded yet.

Actually, I don't think Robert was the only person who drove her from the board. I think it was also people contacting her ex-husband, children and siblings. But, since a couple of years have passed, that might not be case any more.

Even though the FBI mentioned L.D. specifically other than a few interviews, we know less about him than most of the other suspects and would have been interesting.

Sadly Mark, Marla knows very little about her uncle. She doesn't even know how tall he was, or much of LD's personal data.

What Marla knows is Marla.

She also knows, maybe, a bit more about the FBI and Geoff, too, and why the three of them got so entangled in August 2011.

Now, that would be interesting to discuss. But unfortunately, Marla has chosen not to engage that conversation, and only throws a temper tantrum about her family's privacy, etc, when we ask and Curtis lets her off the hook with his inscrutible silence.

I think the real value of LD Cooper as a suspect is the light it shines on the FBI, starting with how they named him the "most promising suspect" before they had any DNA or fingerprints.

Now, that's interesting!

Plus, how the LD dossier got onto Curtis' desk after languishing in the Bureau's ethers for a year after it left Okalhoma. That too, would be very interesting.

Wouldn't you like to know about the water cooler conversations at the Seattle FO about Marla and her family, and her two dectectives in OK, and how the "most promising" concept got cooked up?

Now, that is something I really want to know!

Thinking that Marla left the DZ because of our bad manners is misleading. Marla left, in my judgement because we no longer served her purposes, and we had begun asking too many questions that put a light in too many shadowy places that she wanted to keep hidden. Heck, that gal was even talking about her sex life before she went, so she's not that bashful.

Truth-seeking questions can do that to people. Makes them find safety in sex talk. Funny, eh?

Speaking of which, if any DZ readers would like a free copy of my book "Sky Thief - A Report on the DB Cooper Skyjacking," send me an email and I'll gladly send you a digital copy. I made this offer a few months ago, and it's still good. But I see that we have a few new readers here, so I wanted to make sure they knew of the offer. In the book I detail quite a bit about Marla and her family, including interviews with her main investigator, Arden Dorney, her monther, LD's sister-in-law, and other principals. Even "Santa Claus!" (smile).

[email protected]

Along those lines, I'm happy to report that a publisher in NYC has enough interest in my work to ask me for a full manuscript.

As for my need for more sun and warmth, I intend to relocate to LA after the first of the year to get Sky Thief made into a TV mini-series, and dry out from 23 years soaking in Cooper Country. Whew.

I am making the MOST important POST I have ever made so give me time to go back and be sure I spell the words right - suddenly so damn much came pouring out of me and I can't stop it! Now I know the names of the places I could not pronouce! ALL because of a glorious map and conversations with one man long ago and that was not Duane. There is the mix of what Duane told me and they merge together.

Perhaps I should mention suspects this thread has NO knowledge of....but for now the names mean nothing.

Perhaps some old legal documents of James Luezke a deceased attorney at law might disclose a suspect the FBI never looked at. A man he represented asked for help to bring forward a suspect - but feared being accused of the crime himself. He was looking for immunity because he knew who Cooper was or had personal knowledge of the crime.

The state claimed it was not in their hands and the application would have to made with the Feds out of D.C.

I have NO knowledge if D.C. was contacted or involved. The individual the attorney represented as a John Doe was never disclosed nor the attempted arrangements for the informant...I know who he was.

This informant sought the assistance of an attorney in 2001 after his attempts to reach me thru a journalist - we did NOT explore the enquiry and felt it of no interest. So happens it was the most important lead that developed out of the news article, but would not come to the fore-front until another man related the the man's story to me.

Was the story I was told true or not? YES, YES, because it was all of the places Duane talked about, but I did NOT know this until tonight!

The records of that old attorney will prove it. I know the name of the John Doe and the name of the attorney.

The Attorney never released the name of the man asking for assistance nor the name of the friend who approached him on behalf of this friend. I know who they are.

The informant died a few yrs later. The man with the information told me - and I didn't get it or understand it at the time. NOW I do! I hope he is still around, but last time I tried to contact him - I got NO reply...he may now be deceased himself.

All the things this man tried to tell me I did NOT understand until I had a good map of the area and suddenly it was there like a flash in the face....like jumping into ice cold water. I had gone to the map for a completely different reason - not for the memories that came, but the file I had pulled had scribbling all over it and Suddenly ALL of that Scribble made sense. HOW or WHY I would have pulled that file and the map at the same time - I DO not know.

377 this was when I was asking questions about Rigger Shield or Field....now I know that is not the name of something on a chute - it is a place.

I have NAMES - names I cannot mention on this thread. Names of places I could NOT spell or pronounce - NOW, I know were most of them are. All because I pulled the map and the file was pulled for something altogether different.

Remember my mentioning Duane knowing a Sheriff north of Seattle - Well, boys it is all there! Until I got that map I didn't even know the correct pronuciation - but when I saw the town and the area...I recalled a conversation I had with a man several months ago and it was SHOUTING LOUD and CLEAR!
This one links back to the family member of the Weber who met her husband in WA.

I could not see the mountain for the snow! GOD gives us answers when we least expect them and YES, I Do believe there is a GOD and that he is using me at this very moment. I am telling details of things even I did NOT know I knew! It is just how my mind works and tomorrow it might be gone.

Snohomish - give it a try. Find the history there and you will find some of Cooper's footprints. Find the name of an old sheriff who believed in giving The Boys a second chance.

I wrote down Wanon County during the conversation - the man kept trying to tell me to REMEMBER this conversation. I could not understand the names he was saying. He seem agitated I didn't know what he was saying - NOW, I know he was saying WHATCOM County and Snohomish County.

Duane had mentioned an area north of Spokane and said there was museum there and his picture was in that museum. Remember guys I told JT about this and he CLAIMED a BIG NO! Go back it is in the thread...he said there was NO picture of WEBER - he didn't go or he didn't look and he didn't know what Duane looked like. When I told him about a place in OR he went immediately there and records on file suddenly went POOF!

I even asked smart ask Blevins to check out the museum for me as he was going to be in the area. One did nothing and JT said there were NO pictures of Duane - well he didn't know what he was looking for or he tried to erase the foot prints. This was a Museum near a place Duane was at - I do not know what Duane did in the area, but I kept thinking it was Little Ben - there is NO such place it was called Little PEND and the airstrip in Colville....Duane's face when he talked about the BOYS.

Something Buttes and Santa Lana I can't find the sound alikes to those location - The words Frank and Beasley - I don't know what they mean. Pomeroy - a memory about Pomeroy - a relative lived there or a relative of his friends family - the Johnny Carson side kick...family lived there...no I think it links again to the man who lived in Puyallup! OH MY GOD!

The boys went to Coeur d Alene and Spokane (try 1940's - Duane was arrested in Spokane - pre 1950). The forestry and the smoke jumpers and criminals and wayward boys - they all worked close together...NO defining lines like others in the thread claimed. Duane MIGHT not have been a CERTIFIED jumper but he had plenty of EXPOSURE! I believe he did jump...and I think there is a picture someplace that puts him in a chute or with guys with chutes on.

Duane talked about Moscow, Pullman and Potlach and Palouse -he got in trouble with another boy and he could never go back there. Guess where the 'boy' used to live that contacted the attorney. He was a jumper and Duane knew him.

If I made the trip I would be on so much medication I would get everything all screwed up - just like I did all of these yrs. I didn't have good maps, but I did acquire one after my trip in 2010. I didn't know what I was looking for and I had forgot about my conversation with the man who told me things NO one ever told me and he told me things that Duane had told me.

WHY did God give me all of these MEMORIES now - why did he wait till now - what was the trigger? I don't know but there is a power bigger than myself in this room tonight! Frank School or Schoal, don't even know what these things or places or names mean! Sound alikes - to much to digest. Very very tired.

Good Night. I am very VERY tired - exhausted! This has been the most powerful evening I have experience in a long long time. WHY now - when it is TOO LATE?

One more memory - A NEW PAPER OWNER in Seattle - have NOT one damn clue what this means. I have not talked to a newpaper owner in the Seattle area. If he is still alive - maybe he better contact me.

wshscurators

Regards,
WSHS

when will this exhibit close? guess I can go see if there is an
advertised date.

skyjack71

There is only one who will make history and that is the REAL Cooper, but who is the Real Cooper? Have they found his BONES or made a positive match with dna or prints?

Maybe Vickie's Dad - You Think?;)

Unfortunately, you may be right about the Seattle FBI and their lack of communication about Cooper right now.

On October 1, 2013, SA Curtis Eng received a voice mail from my regional director from NamUs. She is asking for the FBI to compare DNA on Cooper to the samples taken by the University of North Texas from my brother and myself.

I believe she may have sent an email also....no reply.
Melvin Luther Wilson - Missing Person since September 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QLnFvk8Fs

"I can't contact Gray. he didn't write your book, you did"

this means I shouldn't have to contact Gray for what you wrote in your book, PDF, (media & FBI version) website, You Tube video's etc. I have spoken with Gray many times.

what proof do you have Kenny made a $5000 loan. that is a lot of money, even today. Mark Bennett also wondered how another poor person could pay the loan back? you realize that's over $200 a month. (1972-74)

the house. what proof do you have that Kenny paid $15,000. you have been claiming $16,500. Komo news says $14,000. where are all of these numbers coming from, Gray? have you spoken with Grimes? he is still around. in 2011 he put a lien on something.

the story doesn't hold water. you claim Bernie was either an accomplice, or knew Kenny did it. why wouldn't Bernie give his sister the money? we now have two people spreading the ransom around. Bernie would probably have half if he was in on it with his best friend. none of them show any upgrade in life styles. the stamp/coin collection. what was it worth when he bought it. the value could have went up as they tend to do over the years.

do you even have proof of the Airstream. those were expensive trailers. we had one for a while in the 70's. sold it and bought an Argosy. they looked the same, but were a cream color VS polished aluminum. (see photo) again, we have poor people purchasing a top of the line RV.

the biggest problem you have is taking the word of what has been told, or what you have read. Gray is a good source, but not a perfect one. Facts are based on proper documentation backing up what someone says.
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

RobertMBlevins

2013: Some questions are now being raised whether this can be proven or not. And I will agree that those questions should be answered. I have released two documents on this, you have released one. I have engaged the help of a real estate expert to research out everything known on that property as it relates to Kenny Christiansen. I do NOT have the full results of that yet, and when I get them I probably will release them to the National Public Radio people before they make it to Dropzone. If you want to know anything else, to investigate this yourself, you should pay the money to Pierce County for all the records. And you should contact Geoff Gray with your concerns.

Robert,
Was it NPR that asked you to not post about Kenny here for awhile? Your "good bye" post last weekend was kind of cryptic, but then you returned so quickly, I wondered if you thought better of the request.

Bruce,
Contacting Marla's family is a bit creepy, especially if the only motivation is to discredit her. I think Marla's story was not handled well on this forum.

She had some memories as an eight year old. But, let's face it. Even if she were playing in the room and heard everything that was said planning a hijacking, an eight year old wouldn't understand the context and would think nothing of it. She remembers bits and pieces.

Her real information, I think, comes from her father. As I understand it, as he was dying he reminded Marla to remember the hijacking and look into it. That was in 1995 and she didn't do much with it for 15 years.

Finally, as she compiled her memories and talked to an Oklahoma police officer, she was able to get the attention of the FBI.

That raised L.D. Cooper to the status of "possible suspect". That put him in a category with 1000 other people (I would say men, but Barb Dayton counts, too).

The FBI investigated, located and talked to witnesses. It was then L.D. Cooper was designated a "promising lead".

Marla's information got LD's foot in the door. It's the information the FBI found that makes him a good or bad suspect.

What did the FBI find? Who knows? They won't say. Marla would know the line of questioning she was asked and we might be able to piece some of it together from that. But, she's said very little beyond a few interviews nor has she published anything.

Many people here have a favored suspect for personal reasons. I don't doubt anyone's sincerity on what they believe. SOMEBODY had to be D.B. Cooper and I can't rule any of them out unless they have an airtight alibi.

One issue I have with some (I'm thinking of RobertM, but not just him), is you think of evidence as links in a chain. If you can break one link, the whole case falls apart. I don't think that's right. I think of it as strands of a rope. It gets stronger the more evidence you have.

Why does nobody in Marla's family corroborate her story? Well, none of them will dispute it either. As I understand it, only Marla and her father were outside when her uncles arrived. And, they didn't stay for Thanksgiving. Plus, some of her siblings were even younger than Marla was.

Marla's is a great story -- just like most of the suspects are. We know little of the details, so we can't say L.D. is the likely suspect. But, the FBI had reason to not disqualify him and had a lot more information than any of us did. I'd like to try and find out what that is.

Bruce wrote:

Speaking of which, if any DZ readers would like a free copy of my book "Sky Thief - A Report on the DB Cooper Skyjacking," send me an email and I'll gladly send you a digital copy. I made this offer a few months ago, and it's still good. But I see that we have a few new readers here, so I wanted to make sure they knew of the offer.

Both Bruce and Blevins have offered free copies of their books to forum readers. I commend them for their generousity.

Mayfield just doesnt fit the DBC description but what a great suspect otherwise. Convicted felon, pilot, national champ skydiver, rigger, etc etc. Mayfield was apparently a very callous guy too, witness the deplorable number of deaths attributed to his unsafe DZ operations.

Mayfield's "it aint me" phone call to Himmelsbach right in the midst of the crime always struck me as odd and kinda contrived. But... he just doesnt look at all like the Cooper described by witnesses.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

MarkBennett

Bruce,
Contacting Marla's family is a bit creepy, especially if the only motivation is to discredit her. I think Marla's story was not handled well on this forum.

She had some memories as an eight year old. But, let's face it. Even if she were playing in the room and heard everything that was said planning a hijacking, an eight year old wouldn't understand the context and would think nothing of it. She remembers bits and pieces.

Her real information, I think, comes from her father. As I understand it, as he was dying he reminded Marla to remember the hijacking and look into it. That was in 1995 and she didn't do much with it for 15 years.

Finally, as she compiled her memories and talked to an Oklahoma police officer, she was able to get the attention of the FBI.

That raised L.D. Cooper to the status of "possible suspect". That put him in a category with 1000 other people (I would say men, but Barb Dayton counts, too).

The FBI investigated, located and talked to witnesses. It was then L.D. Cooper was designated a "promising lead".

Marla's information got LD's foot in the door. It's the information the FBI found that makes him a good or bad suspect.

What did the FBI find? Who knows? They won't say. Marla would know the line of questioning she was asked and we might be able to piece some of it together from that. But, she's said very little beyond a few interviews nor has she published anything.

Many people here have a favored suspect for personal reasons. I don't doubt anyone's sincerity on what they believe. SOMEBODY had to be D.B. Cooper and I can't rule any of them out unless they have an airtight alibi.

One issue I have with some (I'm thinking of RobertM, but not just him), is you think of evidence as links in a chain. If you can break one link, the whole case falls apart. I don't think that's right. I think of it as strands of a rope. It gets stronger the more evidence you have.

Why does nobody in Marla's family corroborate her story? Well, none of them will dispute it either. As I understand it, only Marla and her father were outside when her uncles arrived. And, they didn't stay for Thanksgiving. Plus, some of her siblings were even younger than Marla was.

Marla's is a great story -- just like most of the suspects are. We know little of the details, so we can't say L.D. is the likely suspect. But, the FBI had reason to not disqualify him and had a lot more information than any of us did. I'd like to try and find out what that is.

What is 'creepy' is some 'schmulie' using Marla to discredit, trying
to build his own reputation as some kind of super-sleuth ... when
his own story is a bucket of made up stuff, outright fabrications,
and such.

That theory says that a train wreck can only be solved by
another train wreck! And train wrecks are "all good"! ?

That is sick.

mrshutter45

"I can't contact Gray. he didn't write your book, you did"

this means I shouldn't have to contact Gray for what you wrote in your book, PDF, (media & FBI version) website, You Tube video's etc. I have spoken with Gray many times.

what proof do you have Kenny made a $5000 loan. that is a lot of money, even today. Mark Bennett also wondered how another poor person could pay the loan back? you realize that's over $200 a month. (1972-74)

the house. what proof do you have that Kenny paid $15,000. you have been claiming $16,500. Komo news says $14,000. where are all of these numbers coming from, Gray? have you spoken with Grimes? he is still around. in 2011 he put a lien on something.

the story doesn't hold water. you claim Bernie was either an accomplice, or knew Kenny did it. why wouldn't Bernie give his sister the money? we now have two people spreading the ransom around. Bernie would probably have half if he was in on it with his best friend. none of them show any upgrade in life styles. the stamp/coin collection. what was it worth when he bought it. the value could have went up as they tend to do over the years.

do you even have proof of the Airstream. those were expensive trailers. we had one for a while in the 70's. sold it and bought an Argosy. they looked the same, but were a cream color VS polished aluminum. (see photo) again, we have poor people purchasing a top of the line RV.

the biggest problem you have is taking the word of what has been told, or what you have read. Gray is a good source, but not a perfect one. Facts are based on proper documentation backing up what someone says.

Airstream, my ass!

It's a "stream of hot air"!

RobertMBlevins

Georger says in part:

'when will this exhibit close? guess I can go see if there is an advertised date.'

You must have missed this part in the post you quoted...

***'The exhibition will be on display through January 5, 2014 in Tacoma...'

:)
*Post deleted by Georger*

No big deal. You just missed that part, I'm sure. You should go and see it.

Yep. I'm another MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARLAH!

You're super sleuth talents had you peg me after the first 30
seconds you hadnt even been here on Dropzone.

The Sun doesnt shine on the same Dog's Ass all day long!

Except for yours of course. You are on a world with ten suns!

:D

Bruce wrote:

Speaking of which, if any DZ readers would like a free copy of my book "Sky Thief - A Report on the DB Cooper Skyjacking," send me an email and I'll gladly send you a digital copy. I made this offer a few months ago, and it's still good. But I see that we have a few new readers here, so I wanted to make sure they knew of the offer.

Both Bruce and Blevins have offered free copies of their books to forum readers. I commend them for their generousity.

Mayfield just doesnt fit the DBC description but what a great suspect otherwise. Convicted felon, pilot, national champ skydiver, rigger, etc etc. Mayfield was apparently a very callous guy too, witness the deplorable number of deaths attributed to his unsafe DZ operations.

Mayfield's "it aint me" phone call to Himmelsbach right in the midst of the crime always struck me as odd and kinda contrived. But... he just doesnt look at all like the Cooper described by witnesses.

Teddy's call to H ?

Had H already pegged Teddy somehow?

Dysfunction all the way around. Why would someone brag before the horse had even left the start line? Country Club Cops?
Blevins make believes? It's almost snobbery!

Myers-Dvorak exploited that weakness.(Stage-I Blevinsism)

Meanwhile Robert99 is looking at those notes with a fine tooth comb ... while you are here trading gossips.

Teddy could still be the guy. Remember, physics is suspended in
the cabins of aircrafts. Say Blevins, Myers, Dvorak, Weber, JT
and you!

Happy Halloweiner.

:D

Georger wrote:

Remember, physics is suspended in
and you!

Really? Are you sure you have the Mayfield call time right G?
My recollection is that he called H after Cooper's presumed jump time, not while he was in the 727.

Physics is suspended on every jump, at least it appears that way to a jumper. Freefall makes it seem like gravity has disappeared, at least for a minute or so.

I've even had it happen inside the cabin when Mike Mullins decided to give us a NASA style zoom climb and pushover in his specially modified "rocketship" King Air. I was floating free, weightless, pushing myself from one side of the cabin to the other suspended in mid air. All that fun and an exit far above 20,000 ft for $48. Such a deal

Has anyone heard from Farflung? Is he OK?

I hope Sluggo gets to read the WSHS docs posted yesterday. He'd love that stuff.

Georger wrote:

Remember, physics is suspended in
and you!

Really? Are you sure you have the Mayfield call time right G?
My recollection is that he called H after Cooper's presumed jump time, not while he was in the 727.

Physics is suspended on every jump, at least it appears that way to a jumper. Freefall makes it seem like gravity has disappeared, at least for a minute or so.

I've even had it happen inside the cabin when Mike Mullins decided to give us a NASA style zoom climb and pushover in his specially modified "rocketship" King Air. I was floating free, weightless, pushing myself from one side of the cabin to the other suspended in mid air. All that fun and an exit far above 20,000 ft for $48. Such a deal

Has anyone heard from Farflung? Is he OK?

I hope Sluggo gets to read the WSHS docs posted yesterday. He'd love that stuff.

I hope the Four Clydesdales get to read the WSHS docs posted
yesterday. They would love that stuff.