jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

It wasn't that part sir. Per billvons request I have given the "where you live" part up I see you can't seem to do so as he asked you.

It was about the "no one you know having ever been a victim of a crime but your fucking wife was robbed of her purse." That was the lie..... Now care to clear up your second lie of the week in the other thread?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

It wasn't that part sir as per billvons request I have given the "where you live" up I see you can't seem to do so as he asked you.

It was about no one you know having ever been a victim of a crime but your fucking wife was robbed of her purse. That was the lie..... Now care to clear up your second lie of the week in the other thread?

You should have paid more attention in reading class, then you wouldn't misread what was written.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>You should have paid more attention in reading class, then you wouldn't misread
>what was written.

Enough. You PM'ed me asking me to take down a reference to your address. (AB did that before I had to take it down - thank you AB.) If you don't want such things discussed - don't discuss them. If someone asks you to clarify something you said, or to address a contradiction in something you said, you can either do so or simply not answer. Resorting to PA's instead will get you some time off.

Meanwhile here in South Carolina-From the service I attended Sunday
“To hatred, we say no way, not today,” Mr. Watkins said. “To racism, we say no way, not today. To division, we say no way, not today. To reconciliation, we say yes. To loss of hope, we say no way, not today. To a racial war, we say no way, not today. To racial fear, we say no way, not today. Charleston, together, we say no way, not today.”-Jermaine Watkins
Replying to what happens to be the last post, not you directly.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

kallend

***My biggest objection to all of this is it's all happening the wrong way for the wrong reasons.

I think it should have happened decades ago. Its removal from public property is the right thing to do. As for the reasons being wrong, this serial shooting was just a catalyst, not the reason.

The flag is a battle flag of an organization that fought a bloody war AGAINST the United States. It is a symbol of the willingness to do violence against the USA in order to perpetuate an institutionally racist society.

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/06/22/416548613/the-complicated-political-history-of-the-confederate-flag

The flag was first flown over the state Capitol dome (passed by the Democratic Legislature) in 1962 to mark the centennial of the start of the Civil War, but many saw it as a reaction to the civil-rights movement and school desegregation. For nearly four decades, it continued to be a controversial issue in the Palmetto State. A 1994 nonbinding referendum placed on the GOP primary ballot found that three-in-four voters said the flag should keep flying. That same year, black ministers and the NAACP threatened a boycott of the state if the flag didn't come down, and business leaders sued to remove the flag.

But in 2000, a compromise was reached — the battle flag would be removed from atop the dome and a smaller, square version would be placed at a less-prominent place on the Statehouse grounds — on a 20-foot pole next to the 30-foot Confederate monument. But that didn't end the controversy, and many years of protests, criticism and boycotts followed.

Sadly, by shifting the focus of this tragedy to a symbol, any meaningful reforms of gun free zones, mental health diagnosis and treatment, and racism are basically lost. The ultimate irony is we're giving Roof's actions purpose and in essence letting a domestic terrorist dictate policy changes.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

after 150+ posts even this group of people that have a common interest can't compromise or have tolerance of each others opinions

this is like a giant social experiment

going back to what I originally said:
There are plenty of SC peeps that want it removed and there are plenty that want it to stay. There are people of both races on each side of the discussion. Our governor, Nikki Haley, overall is doing a fantastic job but this issue will take a ton of discussion. Let SC decide how to resolve this and it will get done. The more pressure from outside the more resistance from inside.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

billeisele

after 150+ posts even this group of people that have a common interest can't compromise or have tolerance of each others opinions

There are plenty of SC peeps that want it removed and there are plenty that want it to stay. There are people of both races on each side of the discussion. Our governor, Nikki Haley, overall is doing a fantastic job but this issue will take a ton of discussion. Let SC decide how to resolve this and it will get done. The more pressure from outside the more resistance from inside.

Here's one way of dealing...

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/memphis-mayor-wants-to-dig-up-dead-confederate-war-general.html

Chuck

normiss

Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick.
:|

Meanwhile you can still get plenty of other flags on amazon.com since they removed the confederate battle flag.

Nazi Eagle war decal?
Che Guerva?
Swastika?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/84632588/

Meanwhile there are still plenty of idiots burning the american flag.

It's amazing how much this country has transformed in the past 6 1/2 years.

Let SC decide how to resolve this

Hey -- we're working on it :P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

regulator

***Jesus fucking Christ on a pogo stick.
:|

Meanwhile you can still get plenty of other flags on amazon.com since they removed the confederate battle flag.

Nazi Eagle war decal?
Che Guerva?
Swastika?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/84632588/

Meanwhile there are still plenty of idiots burning the american flag.

It's amazing how much this country has transformed in the past 6 1/2 years.

And the worst part for you guys... is these days you can't even run away to some third world shithole with a righteous dictator who sends out death squads to take care of the damn liberals in his country like nuns and other clergy working for social justice for their people. Suck it up cupcake....

Iago

******after 150+ posts even this group of people that have a common interest can't compromise or have tolerance of each others opinions

Here's one way of dealing...

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/memphis-mayor-wants-to-dig-up-dead-confederate-war-general.html

Chuck

I warned you this would happen, folks. I told you the Confederate flag ban would lead to an all-out assault on Southern heritage.

And now – there are literally hundreds of efforts underway to change the names of schools, parks, streets and buildings named after Confederate generals. Stores are banning the sale of Confederate merchandise.

Movies like “Gone With the Wind” and “Forrest Gump” and television shows like “The Dukes of Hazzard” are under attack.

Most recently, there have been calls to banish grocery store items like Aunt Jemima Syrup and Uncle Ben’s Rice.

And now they want to start digging up dead bodies?

I shudder to imagine what’s next in this Stalinist-style cultural purging of the Southern states.

President Obama suggested that racism was in our DNA. If that’s the case, it may not be that much of a stretch to imagine a day when activists demand that the descendants of Confederate soldiers be deported.

A bit of hyperbole, I confess.

But it might be a good idea to keep your passport handy.

Dang, I better stock up. Chicken and Waffles just aren't the same without a topping of good old Auntie.

I put it all off on 'political correctness'. I think the promoters of it have lost their damned minds. They take offense over the smallest, silliest of things and blow it way out of proportion. I'm sticking with one of my favorite Aunt and my favorite Uncle!

Chuck

Here is an editorial by the Houston business section editorialist.

I think it's a good editorial. Yes, it has a plug for his book in it, too ;)

My ancestors all came to the U.S. after the Civil War, and all settled in Northeast cities; I have very little invested in it, other than (yes) the privilege of being born into my family.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For many... it is a very devisive emblem....

I would prefer people to come into the 21st century and to a far better world than the world as it was found the 19th century.

Romanticizing a time 200 years ago..... too many people fail to realize very few people in America of the mid-1800's lived a life that was not a hard and brutish existence. Those that were the ruling class of the south sold our people a pig in a poke that most southerners did not benefit from..... just as they are doing today.

Good perspective Wendy.
Like your family, my family came (400 years ago) from all over Western Europe and settled in New England. After the American Revolutionary War, we followed the Crown's promise of free land (the last arable land East of the Mississippi River) and settled in Southern Quebec (200 years ago) Some of my ancestors moved from hard-scrabble, Inverness County on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia and a few of my ancestors led the Irish invasion of North America, just before the great potato famine.
My ancestors cleared farms, built roads and churches and a semblance of New England society.
When Quebec Separatists grew obnoxious (1970s) my high school class graduated and moved on, some to Montreal, many to Ontario and the bravest souls moved to the far side of the planet.
Because we were born in the North end of the Appalachian Mountain Range, we could easily have become stubborn red-necks (like South Carolinans), but we chose to forget our defeats and move on.
Perhaps it is time for South Carolina to move on.

I guess, what I don't understand is what seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to the shooting deaths of nine black people. Yes, it was a sad, horrible event but it is the reaction to it I question. There was no similar reaction to the shooting deaths in that Colorado theater or the deaths of all those school kids. Why, are these incidences different from the shootings in Carolina? The bottom line... people were senselessly murdered by some whacko. Is it a sensible thing to want to do away with a rice product or syrup or 'Gone With The Wind' or a flag? I just can't make sense of it.

Chuck

>I guess, what I don't understand is what seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to the
>shooting deaths of nine black people.

I understand it; it's an emotional reaction to a horrendous event. After the 9/11 attacks there was a reaction against Islam. Doesn't mean it's rational to blame all Muslims for the actions of a few, but it's an understandable reaction.

Likewise, after the killing of many people by a racist, it's understandable that there is an emotional reaction against a symbol that is seen by many as racist. Doesn't mean it's rational to say things like "anyone who flies the Confederate flag is a racist" but the sentiment to get rid of it, at least, is understandable.

masterrig

What I am questioning is... why such a dramatic reaction to the massacre of Black people and a not so dramatic reaction to the massacre of White people in a theater or a school yard?

Chuck

Substitute "gun" for "flag" in the earlier events. ..."dramatic reaction".

"Racist flag" always supersedes "gun" for dramatic reaction when both are involved in the same event.

>What I am questioning is... why such a dramatic reaction to the massacre of Black
>people and a not so dramatic reaction to the massacre of White people in a theater or
>a school yard?

If a state was flying a flag that, at one point, represented a government that enslaved and killed whites, then I bet you would see the same sort of reaction if the opposite event had happened.