jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

JohnnyMarko

I was just warning others. I'm at work but I click NSFW links all day long.

That sounds like good work when you can find it.:|

You should see the size of his right arm.

I'm ambidextrous

(You really shouldn't set me up for these)

By the look of your new avatar, your minions have been busy too.
What do you have them doing?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I was just warning others. I'm at work but I click NSFW links all day long.

That sounds like good work when you can find it.:|

You should see the size of his right arm.

I'm ambidextrous

(You really shouldn't set me up for these)

By the look of your new avatar, your minions have been busy too.
What do you have them doing?

Duties

ryoder

To me, the Civil War is a giant embarrassment to this country.
It should be taught in history class so citizens can learn from the mistakes.
But why the hell anyone wants to bring up reminders of it, such as flying the Confederate flag, or doing battle reenactments, is beyond my comprehension.:S

I'd simply say that reenactments, visits to the different battle sites, and other such tangible, visible examples are excellent tools for people to really learn about what happened. Now, flying the flag is another issue; but at least I can understand how powerful a reenactment can be to those who otherwise would have had no idea the carnage that took place within such small areas. Glorifying it? No, I don't get that. But preserving the lessons so we can learn from them? Yeah, that I get.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

billeisele

First it was never a state flag. It was designed as a battle flag for the southern states. The X is the main difference. It represents the south wanting out of the Union after the northern aggression to push their laws on the south. It was the succession movement which is what lead to the civil war. ... Simply their wanting to leave the union.

This has always been my point about that flag. It represents a group of states that wanted to secede. Isn't that treason? To me it symbolizes the group of states who advocated treason. Or if the state is flying the flag today, it's by default saying it wants to secede (form another Confederacy).

The founders in the 1770s got away with treason because their declaration and campaign was successful. Why would any member of the Union (today) want to cling to the membership of another (no longer existing) country?

So, that's my argument on the subject. I really don't like the informal polls that are asking people whether the flag symbolizes heritage or slavery (only two choices), when there are so many other nuances to consider.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

JohnnyMarko

***A bikini is NSFW?
:S

Hence the question mark after it. I'm sure there's some people who wouldn't want that to pop up on their computer, and have someone behind them see it.

well yeah - they might see the symbolism of the pattern on her bikini. Clearly that photo isn't just cheesecake - it's a secret psychological trick designed to get people to contribute to televangelists. C'mon - it's the FOUNDATION (garment) of the whole movement.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

TriGirl

First it was never a state flag. It was designed as a battle flag for the southern states. The X is the main difference. It represents the south wanting out of the Union after the northern aggression to push their laws on the south. It was the succession movement which is what lead to the civil war. ... Simply their wanting to leave the union.

This has always been my point about that flag. It represents a group of states that wanted to secede. Isn't that treason? To me it symbolizes the group of states who advocated treason. .....

You only have to read the documents explaining the secession from the various southern states, and the words of the top executives of the Confederacy, to see that the only states' right they were interested in was the right to keep slaves. The revisionist claim that the war was not primarily about slavery is pure baloney.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Can a meaning of something change from good to bad or bad to good over time? Can the same object have honest different meanings for different people? The answer is YES to both.

The super majority of the people standing up for it are not standing up for the shit you keep typing over, and over, and fucking omg over. They stand up for it from a southern heritage of the areas they live in, the traditions of hunting and fishing, family, food, music. It's not about nigger hating, leaving the union, kkk, and all the shit you type about after you see for the very few wack jobs that make the tv.

You can't understand because you have never lived it, only read about it through your liberal goggles. Get over yourself.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Can a meaning of something change from good to bad or bad to good over time? Can the same object have honest different meanings for different people? The answer is YES to both.

The super majority of the people standing up for it are not standing up for the shit you keep typing over, and over, and fucking omg over. They stand up for it from a southern heritage of the areas they live in, the traditions of hunting and fishing, family, food, music. It's not about nigger hating, leaving the union, kkk, and all the shit you type about after you see for the very few wack jobs that make the tv.

You can't understand because you have never lived it, only read about it through your liberal goggles. Get over yourself.

I know you directed that at kallend, but there are some of us, i.e. moi, that have read about it who don't have liberal goggles, and think people who proudly display the confederate flag are...well I'll leave out the possible PA.

Well your experiences might be tainted.

I have no problem with it going away it makes me feel awkward to be around one for the feeling that I will be deemed guilty by association by people that judge.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

You defend the indefensible. The symbolism of that flag has not changed one whit in 150 years. Why do you think the KKK adopted it?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You defend the indefensible. The symbolism of that flag has not changed one whit in 150 years. Why do you think the KKK adopted it?

They taught you that down south did they?

Well I am happy to tell you that you are FLAT OUT STONE COLD FUCKING WRONG about that!!!

Not everyone sees the rebel flag as a meaning of nigger hating like you do.

>You defend the indefensible.

He's not defending the flag. He is saying that there are many people who do not feel it symbolizes what you feel it does.

The original US Constitution supports slavery. That does not mean that everyone who supports the US Constitution supports slavery.

The Whydah Gally was a famous slave ship that sank off the coast of Cape Cod. It was discovered in 1984 and thousands of people dive on the wreck. A guy in our parking lot has a "Whydah Gally" sticker on his car. It's a fair bet that he does not support slavery.

Cotton from the South was shipped all over the world. That does not mean that anyone who used cotton before 1860 supported slavery.

The people who pulled off the 9/11 attacks were Muslims. That does not mean that everyone who supports the rights of Muslims supports terrorism.

Don't make the mistake that everyone who supports anything has the same feelings about it that you do. The 16 year old girl who wears a Confederate flag bikini didn't buy it because she wants to advertise her hatred of blacks. The General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard did not have a Confederate flag because the show supported slavery. You may think it represents slavery, but most people who used it within our lifetimes did not.

I get that you sre going to kep typing "nigger" until someone calls you out on it, and then respond with, "But Obama said it!"

But Obama was quoting the word "nigger" not refering to people as niggers.

There is a difference.

Right now you're just sounding like a unabashed racist.

- Dan G

DanG

I get that you sre going to kep typing "nigger" until someone calls you out on it, and then respond with, "But Obama said it!"

But Obama was quoting the word "nigger" not refering to people as niggers.

There is a difference.

Right now you're just sounding like a unabashed racist.

incorrect on the reasoning of my use on both accounts.