jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

RonD1120

The Rebel Battle Flag is a symbol of hate and must be removed from all public areas. However, the U.S. Flag can be stomped on, burned, dipped in urine and feces and it is just an expression of free speech. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that.

You go right on ahead and treat the Stars and Bars the same way if you feel it is unfair.
If free speech bothers you in any way perhaps a review of the wording of the Bill of Rights is in order.. But I do believe what we have here is a failure to understand the tenets on which this country was founded.

Then again.... some folks will just take it as pc crap with them dark skinned folk ( I have seen other terms used by the good ole boys before[:/]) getting a win... and they cain't handle that.

RonD1120

The Rebel Battle Flag is a symbol of hate and must be removed from all public areas. However, the U.S. Flag can be stomped on, burned, dipped in urine and feces and it is just an expression of free speech. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that.

You're quite the spin-meister.

Even now, post-recent legislative action in SC, the rebel flag may be displayed by anyone acting in their private individual capacity. It can also be worn, carried or displayed by any private individual, not only in any "public area" (your ambiguous term) like a public sidewalk, but even while on publicly-owned land - as long as it is not affixed to a public building or land. State or federal government actors forcing someone to, for example, remove a rebel flag from their clothing or vehicle while on publicly-owned land would (IMO) violate the US Constitution and (IMPO) would probably be declared as such by most any federal court.

Go wear a rebel flag t-shirt into the State Capitol Building in S.C. If they force you to remove it or leave, I'll betcha the ACLU would be willing to help you fight and win in federal court, just as they helped that Nazi group secure the right to march through Skokie, IL a couple decades ago.

All of that remains constitutionally-protected free speech.

RonD1120

Though this doesn't apply as a scenario of INDIVIDUAL free speech, I don't understand.

But if an individual were to voluntarily take down this flag from his private property it would be just as much an expression of intent as putting it up.

This is just taking it down from a public place, conducted under due process of legislature. I don't see any issue with it. If they voted to leave it up, I wouldn't either under the same rules (South C can do whatever they like for themselves and it's not my business either way) But it certainly has nothing to do with the government protecting the right of individuals to say what they wish.

As for the US Flag - douchebags do things to it because they are idiots that can't express anything. But if they own their own flag, they can do as they like. What they can't do is do that to another's flag, or to publicly owned flags without permission of the owner - that's the line they can't cross.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Pick an argument. Other than being totally misidentified-to people I know it is a regional pride symbol, not racist. So are you against it because the confederacy was pro slave (not that the northern states were heavily anti slave) so it doesn't matter that it is a positive symbol to the majority of people in the region now or because some fringe groups display it along with the US flag so it doesn't matter what it means? Personally I look at it as a design on beach towels at Myrtle Beach and on bikinis worn by girls that are probably going to be pretty easy to get around 3rd base with.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

futuredivot

Pick an argument. Other than being totally misidentified-to people I know it is a regional pride symbol, not racist. So are you against it because the confederacy was pro slave (not that the northern states were heavily anti slave) so it doesn't matter that it is a positive symbol to the majority of people in the region now or because some fringe groups display it along with the US flag so it doesn't matter what it means? Personally I look at it as a design on beach towels at Myrtle Beach and on bikinis worn by girls that are probably going to be pretty easy to get around 3rd base with.

I was born and raised in the deep south. Hell, I even had a confederate flag on my wall during my high school days. Then I studied history a bit more closely. And well... the flag went in the garbage. I grew up.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Driver1

Hell, I even had a confederate flag on my wall during my high school days. Then I studied history a bit more closely. And well... the flag went in the garbage. I grew up.

What made you stop hating black people in high school?

I caught 30 seconds of the news a bit ago while grabbing a cup of coffee and had to laugh at the surprised tone of the newscaster showing people from opposite sides of the discussion hanging out at the state house chatting with each other. My SC (as opposed to this SC) knows that you can disagree without hate.

futuredivot

*** Hell, I even had a confederate flag on my wall during my high school days. Then I studied history a bit more closely. And well... the flag went in the garbage. I grew up.

What made you stop hating black people in high school?

I caught 30 seconds of the news a bit ago while grabbing a cup of coffee and had to laugh at the surprised tone of the newscaster showing people from opposite sides of the discussion hanging out at the state house chatting with each other. My SC (as opposed to this SC) knows that you can disagree without hate.

I didn't hate blacks in high school. We had to go to school with them just like anybody else. I just didn't understand the significance of the rebel flag until after I graduated and went to college.

futuredivot

Pick an argument. Other than being totally misidentified-to people I know it is a regional pride symbol, not racist..

And in your world it would be fine to fly a Nazi banner in front of the Bundestag as a symbol of German pride, being the nation of Goethe, Beethoven, Brahms, Leibniz, etc.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, right?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I can only be so responsible for other people's hang ups. It is neat the number of people that weren't offended until they were told they should be. I do wonder as a conservative, white, Christian, how many of my more liberal friends I would lose if I started treating their beliefs and morals with the EXACT level of respect that they treat mine.:S

stayhigh

what happens to the two protester who took down the flag couple weeks ago?

Well, she was the interviewee on Larry Wilmore's show recently: http://www.cc.com/episodes/nx8vbb/the-nightly-show-july-2--2015---bree-newsome-interview---dumping-donald-trump-season-1-ep-01082
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

futuredivot

I can only be so responsible for other people's hang ups. It is neat the number of people that weren't offended until they were told they should be. I do wonder as a conservative, white, Christian, how many of my more liberal friends I would lose if I started treating their beliefs and morals with the EXACT level of respect that they treat mine.:S

They would say you are ignorant, prejudiced, biased, intolerant, have imaginary friends, belong to the flat earth society, to recall a few of the slanders to which I have been exposed.

What I find interesting and tragic about this situation is that no one can recall the achievements of the lives lost in that church. All the focus has shifted to Southern historical observance and tradition.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

:) I think I've figured it out. The people who actively display and wave the Confederate flag identify as Confederate-Americans. I just wonder why they can't just be Americans like the rest of us :):P

(I picked your post because you have a sense of humor :)
Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Iago

***>Nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, right?

The guys in the picture below were proud of what they had accomplished. Bet they weren't celebrating Hitler's SS.

USMC Scout Sniper unit.

You know Scout Sniper / SS ?

Don't you think they could have researched logo styles and created one distinctly different from the Nazis' SS?

Oh wait, they're Marines... never mind. :)