jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

DanG

Question: do you always treat your neighbors with disrespect?

I treat them with the same respect they treat me. In this case, none.

Frankly,I never replied to you. So I have no idea how you get off saying I treated you without respect. In fact you're response is indeed arrogant.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

regulator

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/02/cnn-shock-poll-big-majority-think-confederate-flag-symbol-of-heritage-not-racism/

Here is a poll for you. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Paraphrasing those results - white people don't give a shit about black people's feelings. Hardly a surprise, is it?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Hitler was known to have started exterminating Jews, gypsies, and Jehovah's Witnesses before the war,

How is that a justification for war if slavery isn't?

As has been pointed out, no other country had to kill 3/4 of a million of its citizens to eliminate slavery - slavery would have ended within 20-25 years anyways.

No other country had it as ingrained into the fabric of its society and economy. Speculation, with the benefit of 150 years of hindsight. Was Lincoln a time traveller?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

ryoder

If flying the Confederate flag is about heritage, then why aren't we all flying the British flag?:|

Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jakee

Hitler was known to have started exterminating Jews, gypsies, and Jehovah's Witnesses before the war,

How is that a justification for war if slavery isn't?

As has been pointed out, no other country had to kill 3/4 of a million of its citizens to eliminate slavery - slavery would have ended within 20-25 years anyways.

No other country had it as ingrained into the fabric of its society and economy. Speculation, with the benefit of 150 years of hindsight. Was Lincoln a time traveller?

You do know it was pretty ingrained in English history.. Only Portugal shipped more slaves to the Americas.. and most of those were to Brazil. In the mid 1600's MANY thousands of those catholic barbarians, orphans and widows that the Roundheads had conquered in Ireland were shipped to Barbados as well.

It is so cool so your country banned it 50 years before your descendants over here that had built these colonies on slavery finally rid themselves of the practice that was indeed the manual labor both white and black slaves who built the colonies and enriched England for several hundred years of English triangular slave trade.

billvon

"Friday night I watched the White House be lit up in the abomination colors."

Hmm. I've been reading resistor color codes for 30 years. I never knew they were the "abomination colors."

If orange is the new black, it does confuse the color code.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If the state’s got to get out of the business of marriage then let’s get out of the business of marriage because we cannot succumb to what’s to come of the future of this nation.

Is this the start of the Fundamentalist Libertarian movement? ;)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Anvilbrother

SC Senate votes 37-3 to remove the flag from the statehouse grounds.

:)

I'm sure that solved everything.

No, there are still some bigots in the House.

1)Does that mean that the monument to our African Americans has to come down too? It was part of the relocation compromise.
2)Bigot is a pretty harsh word. Can you back up the accusation?
3)Did anyone get a picture of the photographers sprawled out on the ground to get the forced perspective shot of the battle flag in relation to the capitol dome?
Nope I don't expect a straight answer on anything
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

futuredivot

1)Does that mean that the monument to our African Americans has to come down too? It was part of the relocation compromise.
2)Bigot is a pretty harsh word. Can you back up the accusation?
3)Did anyone get a picture of the photographers sprawled out on the ground to get the forced perspective shot of the battle flag in relation to the capitol dome?
Nope I don't expect a straight answer on anything

Support for flying a banner on public land that represents a treasonous war waged against the USA in support of a "constitution" described by one of its own architects in the following words is clear evidence of bigotry:

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It has been so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well, that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North, who still cling to these errors, with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity. One of the most striking characteristics of insanity, in many instances, is forming correct conclusions from fancied or erroneous premises; so with the anti-slavery fanatics. Their conclusions are right if their premises were. They assume that the negro is equal, and hence conclude that he is entitled to equal privileges and rights with the white man. If their premises were correct, their conclusions would be logical and just but their premise being wrong, their whole argument fails. I recollect once of having heard a gentleman from one of the northern States, of great power and ability, announce in the House of Representatives, with imposing effect, that we of the South would be compelled, ultimately, to yield upon this subject of slavery, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics, as it was in physics or mechanics. That the principle would ultimately prevail. That we, in maintaining slavery as it exists with us, were warring against a principle, a principle founded in nature, the principle of the equality of men. The reply I made to him was, that upon his own grounds, we should, ultimately, succeed, and that he and his associates, in this crusade against our institutions, would ultimately fail. The truth announced, that it was as impossible to war successfully against a principle in politics as it was in physics and mechanics, I admitted; but told him that it was he, and those acting with him, who were warring against a principle. They were attempting to make things equal which the Creator had made unequal.

In the conflict thus far, success has been on our side, complete throughout the length and breadth of the Confederate States. It is upon this, as I have stated, our social fabric is firmly planted; and I cannot permit myself to doubt the ultimate success of a full recognition of this principle throughout the civilized and enlightened world.

As I have stated, the truth of this principle may be slow in development, as all truths are and ever have been, in the various branches of science. It was so with the principles announced by Galileo it was so with Adam Smith and his principles of political economy. It was so with Harvey, and his theory of the circulation of the blood. It is stated that not a single one of the medical profession, living at the time of the announcement of the truths made by him, admitted them. Now, they are universally acknowledged. May we not, therefore, look with confidence to the ultimate universal acknowledgment of the truths upon which our system rests? It is the first government ever instituted upon the principles in strict conformity to nature, and the ordination of Providence, in furnishing the materials of human society. Many governments have been founded upon the principle of the subordination and serfdom of certain classes of the same race; such were and are in violation of the laws of nature. Our system commits no such violation of nature’s laws. With us, all of the white race, however high or low, rich or poor, are equal in the eye of the law. Not so with the negro. Subordination is his place. He, by nature, or by the curse against Canaan, is fitted for that condition which he occupies in our system. The architect, in the construction of buildings, lays the foundation with the proper material-the granite; then comes the brick or the marble. The substratum of our society is made of the material fitted by nature for it, and by experience we know that it is best, not only for the superior, but for the inferior race, that it should be so. It is, indeed, in conformity with the ordinance of the Creator. It is not for us to inquire into the wisdom of His ordinances, or to question them. For His own purposes, He has made one race to differ from another, as He has made “one star to differ from another star in glory.” The great objects of humanity are best attained when there is conformity to His laws and decrees, in the formation of governments as well as in all things else. Our confederacy is founded upon principles in strict conformity with these laws. This stone which was rejected by the first builders “is become the chief of the corner” the real “corner-stone” in our new edifice. I have been asked, what of the future? It has been apprehended by some that we would have arrayed against us the civilized world. I care not who or how many they may be against us, when we stand upon the eternal principles of truth, if we are true to ourselves and the principles for which we contend, we are obliged to, and must triumph.

"treasonous war waged"

An interesting discussion on the topic
http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/2056/was-the-secession-of-the-confederate-states-illegal

Now what about the African American History Monument that was placed on state house grounds at the same time as the confederate memorial was placed there. Go or stay?
Interesting non related observations 33% of the Klan members I know of (all dead now) were black men. Unannounced, unreported, several seedy looking white guys on motorcycles have been patrolling areas around traditionally black churches as a volunteer security measure. Admit it, there is a lot of southern, rural context you don't see from the view from rough, tough south Chicago.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

futuredivot

"treasonous war waged"

An interesting discussion on the topic
http://history.stackexchange.com/questions/2056/was-the-secession-of-the-confederate-states-illegal

Now what about the African American History Monument that was placed on state house grounds at the same time as the confederate memorial was placed there. Go or stay?
Interesting non related observations 33% of the Klan members I know of (all dead now) were black men. Unannounced, unreported, several seedy looking white guys on motorcycles have been patrolling areas around traditionally black churches as a volunteer security measure. Admit it, there is a lot of southern, rural context you don't see from the view from rough, tough south Chicago.

***Hmm, who'd have thunk it?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

kallend

SC Senate votes 37-3 to remove the flag from the statehouse grounds.

:)

I'm sure that solved everything.

No, there are still some bigots in the House.

Yes, yes there are!:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun