jclalor

South Carolina to remove Confederate flag

:)I think I've figured it out. The people who actively display and wave the Confederate flag identify as Confederate-Americans. I just wonder why they can't just be Americans like the rest of us:):P

You make a very good thesis as to why other groups as well who use a {fill-group} - American hyphenated description of themselves should "just be Americans" as well.

Well done!B|

Boomerdog

:)I think I've figured it out. The people who actively display and wave the Confederate flag identify as Confederate-Americans. I just wonder why they can't just be Americans like the rest of us:):P

You make a very good thesis as to why other groups as well who use a {fill-group} - American hyphenated description of themselves should "just be Americans" as well.

Well done!B|

Yes, the PC crowd should advocate for the elimination of sports team names, logos and mascots. For example, NFL Team One, Two, Three and so on. All military branches should be the U.S. Armed Forces. That way there would be no pride in being in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. Everyone should wear the same uniform. Also, take away the designations of elite military units. All schools should be Public School #, like in NYC.

Yeah, that's the ticket.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Well done!B|

Yes, the PC crowd should advocate for the elimination of sports team names, logos and mascots. For example, NFL Team One, Two, Three and so on. All military branches should be the U.S. Armed Forces. That way there would be no pride in being in the Army, Marines, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard. Everyone should wear the same uniform. Also, take away the designations of elite military units. All schools should be Public School #, like in NYC.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/whitewashing-civil-war-history-for-young-minds/2015/07/06/1168226c-2415-11e5-b77f-eb13a215f593_story.html

Well that splains some thangs.... revisionism.... no wonder some folks just ain't right round these parts.

I can't seem to get this Confederate Flag thing off my mind these past few days.

First of all, the flag is the Virginia Battle Flag of GEN Lee's army. We all know that by now.

Secondly, I have never in all my years in the south heard white folks talk about slavery in positive terms. Yet, that trip is laid on us over and over.

Third, and this is the point here, the flag represents a spirit of brotherhood, of comradeship, not because the south contained slave states but because the south stands in solidarity. It is the Southern Spirit.

Do you ever hear anyone talk about or hold pride in the Northern Spirit. No.

In the south you find territorial good food, country music, NASCAR, good football teams. Southerners will fight each other over college football. It is our rebel spirit. Above all we are believers in God, the Holy Bible, Jesus as Savior and the Holy Ghost.

Southerners are rich in their spiritual beliefs and recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I'm certainly not saying that we are a perfect blemish free society. But, we stick together against outsiders and the Northerners are damned outsiders. Yankees can move down here and settle if you pay your dues.

The rules are not explained to newcomers. You have to figure them out on your own. If you can do that you will be accepted. And then guess what? You will revere the Confederate Rebel Flag for what it really stands for.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

There is so much bullshit in that post, I don't even know where to start.

If you want to fly the Confederate flag, then do so. No one is stopping you. Frankly, no one gives a shit.

The government, on the other hand, shouldn't be flying it. It is just that simple.

- Dan G

RonD1120

I can't seem to get this Confederate Flag thing off my mind these past few days.

First of all, the flag is the Virginia Battle Flag of GEN Lee's army. We all know that by now.

Secondly, I have never in all my years in the south heard white folks talk about slavery in positive terms. Yet, that trip is laid on us over and over.

Third, and this is the point here, the flag represents a spirit of brotherhood, of comradeship, not because the south contained slave states but because the south stands in solidarity. It is the Southern Spirit.

In the south you find territorial good food, country music, NASCAR, good football teams. Southerners will fight each other over college football. It is our rebel spirit. Above all we are believers in God, the Holy Bible, Jesus as Savior and the Holy Ghost.

Southerners are rich in their spiritual beliefs and recognize the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I'm certainly not saying that we are a perfect blemish free society. But, we stick together against outsiders and the Northerners are damned outsiders. Yankees can move down here and settle if you pay your dues.

The rules are not explained to newcomers. You have to figure them out on your own. If you can do that you will be accepted. And then guess what? You will revere the Confederate Rebel Flag for what it really stands for.

The flag was the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. It's commanding general was Robert E Lee... my third cousin a few times removed. At least a dozen of my close relatives served under him in various units from Florida, Georgia, and both Carolina's. Half of them survived the war... many did no survive wounds in the many battles from Bull Run to Gettysburg. They are buried far from their homes and families and that heritage is part of many of our family lines history that we learn growing up remembering our 2nd ggrand-uncles and those survivors, our second ggrandfathers and the families also lost mothers and children who did not go off to war but still suffered privations at home.
To many in our family the flag was dishonored by its use many years after the war by a group that had no right to it and performed despicable acts in the name of their white heritage. The same kinds of people who have no honor, dishonor those people who gave so much fighting an enemy who was invading their homes 150 years ago.

>Third, and this is the point here, the flag represents a spirit of brotherhood, of
>comradeship, not because the south contained slave states but because the south
>stands in solidarity. It is the Southern Spirit.

Then I fully support your right to fly it above your compound.

billvon

>Third, and this is the point here, the flag represents a spirit of brotherhood, of
>comradeship, not because the south contained slave states but because the south
>stands in solidarity. It is the Southern Spirit.

Then I fully support your right to fly it above your compound.

I have never flown or displayed the Confederate Battle Flag, except for the graphic here in the SC. I am a converted Yankee. My distant cousin was a captain in the Union forces. However, while attending college and university I studied cultural relativity in sociology and psychology.

...while attending college and university I studied cultural relativity in sociology and psychology.

The closer you get to the South, the more time slows down?

Don

GeorgiaDon

...while attending college and university I studied cultural relativity in sociology and psychology.

The closer you get to the South, the more time slows down?

Don

That is correct.

Up here in the mountains, any major project, involving one or more other craftsmen, takes about one year to complete.

In Key West time almost stops.

Amazon

***I can't seem to get this Confederate Flag thing off my mind these past few days.

The flag was the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. It's commanding general was Robert E Lee... my third cousin a few times removed. At least a dozen of my close relatives served under him in various units from Florida, Georgia, and both Carolina's. Half of them survived the war... many did no survive wounds in the many battles from Bull Run to Gettysburg. They are buried far from their homes and families and that heritage is part of many of our family lines history that we learn growing up remembering our 2nd ggrand-uncles and those survivors, our second ggrandfathers and the families also lost mothers and children who did not go off to war but still suffered privations at home.
To many in our family the flag was dishonored by its use many years after the war by a group that had no right to it and performed despicable acts in the name of their white heritage. The same kinds of people who have no honor, dishonor those people who gave so much fighting an enemy who was invading their homes 150 years ago.

Bingo. This is the answer right here. The flag didn't really become a perverted affront until white power and segregationist supporters started waving it in the face of the Civil Rights Movement. The damage is done. Take the flags down off of public property and government buildings. It does not represent all of us. I have no issues with private people waving it on their private property or vehicles. That's their right. Just don't wave it in a manner that implies all of us support it. :|
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

IMO, it has always been a flag of separatists, a sign of rebellion, of a movement that was started with a terrorist act.
Mostly over the fact that the negro was considered not equal to the white man. Which is also why it was so easily put to use during the racial tensions of the civil rights movement.

It's just so stupid to see people try to defend that.

normiss

IMO, it has always been a flag of separatists, a sign of rebellion, of a movement that was started with a terrorist act.
Mostly over the fact that the negro was considered not equal to the white man. Which is also why it was so easily put to use during the racial tensions of the civil rights movement.

It's just so stupid to see people try to defend that.

Indeed. You're right. I stated a few days ago about what the confederate vice president said about the confederate constitution being the opposite of the U.S. constitution that all men are created equal. Clearly the Confederates didn't believe that.

Relegate the flag to the museums so people see the history, and move on. This is 2015, people... not 1950. [:/]
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

You bash the south for doing the same thing the colonies did but don't bash America for doing it. They had different reasons but attempted the same thing.

Maybe continue bashing the reasons not the acts, and stop calling people traitors which your ancestors were probably part of(both times?)

Do current English people have the same hatred for the American traitors as you have for the southern traitors?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

DanG

So do you believe that the US Constitution is an equally admirable document to the Confederate Constitution?

Do you recall the respective outcomes of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War?

Um, well, history is usually written by the victors. So, without actually being there, how do you actually know? Or is it that you just believe what they tell you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The colonies don't appear to be flying flags used to support hatred of their citizens, so, no, you're incorrect.
I also don't see England flying flags that support that type of hatred either.
:S
What is this hatred I have for "southern traitors"?

turtlespeed

***So do you believe that the US Constitution is an equally admirable document to the Confederate Constitution?

Do you recall the respective outcomes of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War?

Um, well, history is usually written by the victors. So, without actually being there, how do you actually know? Or is it that you just believe what they tell you?

Do you believe the revisionist histories written in the school books approved by the Texas Board of Education that are then used in many other states???

Amazon

******So do you believe that the US Constitution is an equally admirable document to the Confederate Constitution?

Do you believe the revisionist histories written in the school books approved by the Texas Board of Education that are then used in many other states???

I use my version of critical thinking to wade through and make my own determinations.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Uh, yeah. You can access the texts of the Constitutions of the US and the Confederacy pretty easily. Unless you think the victors have gone back and rewritten them.

And yes, I believe them when they tell me that the US succeeded in breaking off from England, and the South lost the Civil War. Do you have some inside intel to suggest that's not what happened?

- Dan G