11 11
quade

DB Cooper

3 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

No wonder Hayden outright called Cossey a liar, and after our interview...when I told him about the John Detlor report...he asked me to send him a copy to put in a frame in his office. Now it makes sense. He says he spoke to Cossey maybe once or twice over the years, and Hayden made it plain he didn't like Cossey and thought he was a liar. Obviously, Cossey tried to take credit for providing chutes that weren't actually HIS. Why? Probably to try and do the same thing Norman Hayden ended up doing:  Somehow getting the FBI to return the Pioneer to HIM...instead of the real owner...Norman Hayden. 

Cossey lied. It is as simple as that. He tried to steal credit from Norman Hayden. And years later, Hayden gets vindicated when the FBI starts releasing the files. Hayden is further vindicated when he finally has a lawyer send a request letter for return of the Pioneer...and the FBI hands it right over to him in a parking lot. Hayden is further vindicated when instead of trying to make a buck on a famous parachute...simply donates it to the Washington State History Museum. 

The fact that two packing cards may or may not match is not proof of the physical nature...or the ownership...or the origination...of the backpack (main) chutes given to Cooper. That in itself could be explained in a number of ways. An extra card, a wrong card, whatever. All the other evidence, all the other testimony points to both Hayden being correct, and Detlor's report accurate. 

Cossey packed the chutes. Doesn't mean he owned any of them, or provided them personally on the night of the hijacking. If he was going to lie, it was pretty foolish of him to simply try copying Hayden's version of events...which by the way is backed up by the FBI's original report. 

It's too bad Cossey isn't around anymore to answer some of these questions, or the other folks involved in all this. It also calls into question Cossey's ridiculous claim to Seattle media that he knew the Amboy chute wasn't Cooper's 'in less than ten seconds' because 'the ones I gave Cooper were made of ripstop nylon and that chute is made of silk...'

Another load of baloney from Cossey. Practically every chute expert who has examined pictures the FBI released of the parachute found in Amboy in 2008 agree on one thing. That chute was NOT made of silk, but nylon. 

In case some readers haven't seen them, a few pictures of the Amboy chute are shown below. 

amboychute1.jpg

amboychute2.jpg

amboychute3.jpg

amboychute4.jpg

AmboyChuteLG.jpg

The FBI agent in the picture above reminds of actress Laura Linney in the movie, Breach. Like Linney, she looks frustrated. Who do they have to depend on to ID the chute honestly? EARL COSSEY. A guy who made lying into a science when it came to the Cooper chutes. 
breachLinney.jpg.7b19c1afa059bc1e5961fc4e7d7e3397.jpg
Quote from Linney in the movie, which you could sort of apply to Earl Cossey from time to time, or perhaps even Cooper himself. (As it turns out, Cossey was more of a hindrance than a help to the FBI in the Cooper case.)

You keep trying to discredit others to explain this away. It doesn't matter the packing cards not matching is the entire enchilada... no way around that. 

Since Cossey and Hayden both thought their chutes were used then it is natural for them to think the other is lying.

An extra card, a wrong card, no way.. that is speculation too far.. Those cards are crucial for jumpers. If the card found in the chute left on the plane didn't match the one in the chute later returned to Hayden how can they be the same chute?  Both cards matched the Hayden chute packing dates of May 21/71 and both packed by Cossey. The chutes did not match the dates and serial numbers. If the chutes didn't match then that accounts for both Hayden chutes and logically Cooper didn't jump with either of Hayden's back chutes... 

So which back chute did Cooper jump with?

• Like 1

I don't have to 'try' and discredit Cossey. He's already been caught in at least one lie, and foisted off a bullshit story to the Seattle media regarding the Amboy chute. And that story was sent on the wire all over the world. He even told a Seattle Times reporter that the chute WAS Cooper's, and later said it was a joke. Then he says it's silk and not nylon and that's why it can't be Cooper's. Another line of baloney. 

Here is my personal opinion:  The last time the Seattle FBI dealt with Cossey was after the Amboy chute discovery. I think they figured out that Cossey was full of it, and then figured out on their own the chute was possibly a Cooper chute this time. So they shoved that fact under the rug and said it wasn't because it was the only piece of evidence to surface since 1980. And that's why after multiple inquiries, they still say it is 'evidence in an ongoing case'. 

I don't believe that the FBI figured out what Cossey was really about until the Amboy chute came along. Then they figured it out. No wonder they returned that other chute to Hayden based on a single letter from Hayden's lawyer. 

At the time of the chute find in 2008, several articles mentioned that the Seattle FBI was kicking that chute upstairs to their lab to examine it further. But instead, they dumped it into the back of a government car and dragged it out onto Cossey's driveway. That's when he gave his baloney 'silk not nylon' story to them...and everyone else. It's an easy test to determine the difference. All you need is a Bic lighter. Nylon melts, drips, and runs. Silk does not, since it is a natural substance. 

I figure by the next day, the FBI realized Cossey was full of it, and he no longer made a viable witness regarding any truthful ID of any chute discovered. The story he had pawned off on scores of media over the years about owning and delivering chutes to SeaTac would have been found to be false. So he just blew off the Amboy chute with a ridiculous silk claim. He became useless as a witness at that point. 

After three hours of comprehensive interview with Norman Hayden, and seeing Cossey's history over the years, I choose to believe Hayden, as well as Seattle FBI agent John Detlor's version of events. Over the years, the FBI surely knew Cossey's claims of ownership and delivery were false. But he was the guy who packed the chutes, and they had no one else to go to in these matters, so they sort of ignored all that. But after the fiasco of the Amboy chute, they gave up on him. 

Packing card? Someone leaving a second card inside a container accidentally? Who knows. It's the Reno office of the FBI...same guys who lost some of the other evidence in the case. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I don't have to 'try' and discredit Cossey. He's already been caught in at least one lie, and foisted off a bullshit story to the Seattle media regarding the Amboy chute. And that story was sent on the wire all over the world. He even told a Seattle Times reporter that the chute WAS Cooper's, and later said it was a joke. Then he says it's silk and not nylon and that's why it can't be Cooper's. Another line of baloney. 

Here is my personal opinion:  The last time the Seattle FBI dealt with Cossey was after the Amboy chute discovery. I think they figured out that Cossey was full of it, and then figured out on their own the chute was possibly a Cooper chute this time. So they shoved that fact under the rug and said it wasn't because it was the only piece of evidence to surface since 1980. And that's why after multiple inquiries, they still say it is 'evidence in an ongoing case'. 

I don't believe that the FBI figured out what Cossey was really about until the Amboy chute came along. Then they figured it out. No wonder they returned that other chute to Hayden based on a single letter from Hayden's lawyer. 

At the time of the chute find in 2008, several articles mentioned that the Seattle FBI was kicking that chute upstairs to their lab to examine it further. But instead, they dumped it into the back of a government car and dragged it out onto Cossey's driveway. That's when he gave his baloney 'silk not nylon' story to them...and everyone else. It's an easy test to determine the difference. All you need is a Bic lighter. Nylon melts, drips, and runs. Silk does not, since it is a natural substance. 

I figure by the next day, the FBI realized Cossey was full of it, and he no longer made a viable witness regarding any truthful ID of any chute discovered. The story he had pawned off on scores of media over the years about owning and delivering chutes to SeaTac would have been found to be false. So he just blew off the Amboy chute with a ridiculous silk claim. He became useless as a witness at that point. 

After three hours of comprehensive interview with Norman Hayden, and seeing Cossey's history over the years, I choose to believe Hayden, as well as Seattle FBI agent John Detlor's version of events. Over the years, the FBI surely knew Cossey's claims of ownership and delivery were false. But he was the guy who packed the chutes, and they had no one else to go to in these matters, so they sort of ignored all that. But after the fiasco of the Amboy chute, they gave up on him. 

Packing card? Someone leaving a second card inside a container accidentally? Who knows. It's the Reno office of the FBI...same guys who lost some of the other evidence in the case. 

You keep making the same error in logic.. 

Deltor never said both of Hayden's chutes went to Cooper. 

And... Hayden has no knowledge of his chutes after he sent them in.

They are stating what they believe and that doesn't contradict the fact that the packing cards didn't match. Believing them is completely irrelevant.

You have also set up a false choice between Hayden or Cossey, you falsely believe one is lying and one isn't. If you believe one the other must be lying. You pick Hayden because Cossey made errors. They both can be telling the truth from their perspectives. Both sent in two back chutes by cab and both assumed the two that went to the plane was theirs.. It isn't one is right and one wrong, both can be wrong expressing what they honestly believe.

The FBI or somebody receiving the chutes mixed them up and the FBI themselves in the FBI docs have conflicting information. The FBI itself isn't even a reliable source on this.

Lying to the FBI is serious felony, I don't think Cossey would do that, there is no upside. He may have got things wrong and joked with the media but he has been given a bad rap. 

You have to explain how that packing card found in the pocket of the back chute Cooper left on the plane does not match the packing card for the chute Hayden received back from the FBI. Hayden's chute left on the plane by Cooper wasn't the one he received back from the FBI. Cooper did not use either of Hayden's chutes.

Discrediting Cossey or believing Hayden or Deltor or space aliens doesn't reconcile this issue.

This FBI doc suggests that there were two sets of back chutes delivered.. one set earlier.

4backchutes.jpeg.23117640a7aabe3e3d1e2666c2ea0bb3.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Diatoms..

I couldn't find that Anderson 72 original research,, 

I found this... it indicates (Anderson 72) Asterionella Formosa was dominant in the Columbia River for winter in 1972 and Asterionella Japonica was dominant in the summer.

In 1980 Asterionella Formosa was found in April/May in the Columbia River Estuary..

Hard to get to the bottom of it without the original research, but the difference besides date is the Columbia River vs the Columbia River Estuary..  the Estuary is the area near the Ocean and affected by Ocean tides.. it isn't clear exactly where the Anderson 72 research was conducted.

We have two variables to sort, location and time (climate variability).

https://books.google.ca/books?id=MtATAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=diatoms+in+river+sand+columbia+river&source=bl&ots=uAM440FIbI&sig=ACfU3U0SWtbI6Ow-srDi-KWibYv__Xmkaw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjdrtzJsc_nAhXHup4KHYvUCoEQ6AEwDXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=diatoms in river sand columbia river&f=false

diatom2.jpeg.2da22a6a0dc98c168b3bd83511c4679c.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

This FBI doc suggests that there were two sets of back chutes delivered.. one set earlier.

I'll admit that the document is a bit confusing. But there are only TWO sources mentioned. Boeing Flight Service, and Sky Sports in Issaquah. Where did the alleged 'second set' of back packs come from? We know BFS contacted Hayden at some point, and Hayden made arrangements that HIS chutes were to be strictly a rental, and NWA was going to pay for that rental. Hayden has told me this himself, saying he paid good money for them and couldn't legally fly his sport plane without wearing one...so he wasn't just giving them away for nothing. Hayden claims he was paid by NWA, too. Not that evening, but not long afterward, but they didn't pay him for the one that wasn't returned until later. Only the one used by Cooper, he said. That's what HE says. 

One of the reasons I believe Hayden's version of what happened is because his version matched up exactly with the FBI agent's report, and he had not seen the report or even heard of it. And I guess...because Cossey had a record of probably-harmless deceptions with the media in previous years. But where it all went kaboom on Cossey is when he decided to put out a baloney reason why the Amboy chute wasn't a match to Cooper's. That is a credibility killer in my opinion. Sometimes you have to make a judgment call in these matters. Who has been truthful, and who has not? Whose story matches at least the known facts, and whose does not? So I made the call. I think the FBI gave up on Cossey after he pulled that one. You have to figure they knew the chute wasn't silk. So why would they go along with that story? It doesn't make sense. 

I think one way to reconcile this is to speak with Hayden a second time. I may look into this, but the truth is I am pretty busy with other stuff right now. Some Cooper-related, some not. I have a script to finish making changes to...a senior lady here in town where today and tomorrow I am helping her family move her down to Olympia so she can be closer to them...a planning trip to be made to Spider Lake soon (full dress rehearsal for the June campout) and my regular job to boot. 

I can understand where you might believe a total of six parachutes were involved here, but the document is a little mixed up, and not very clear in parts. Hard to say. A definite topic of conversation in June for sure. I'm even wondering if another inquiry to the Seattle FBI is called for here, not that they would tell me (or you, or anyone) anything further. Ever since they dismissed the Amboy chute, they have been very close-mouthed about the whole thing. One of the times I contacted them, years after the dismissal, (2012/13 I think) they said something about not discussing the chute ITSELF, because it was still evidence in an ongoing case. They actually mentioned the CHUTE, not just the 'Cooper case' as they had on my previous inquiries. 

This tells me they probably still HAD the chute in their possession. Years after they said it wasn't Cooper's. Why would they keep a dirty old parachute on file if it was just a random chute dug out of the ground down in Amboy, WA? It should have hit the dumpster the day after they supposedly wrote it off. Yet five years later...sounded like they still had it. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Just because Cossey was wrong on things like the Amboy chute doesn't mean he lied to the FBI and committed felonies for decades.. what makes me believe his claim is that early on he had mentioned the modified handle on the chute he thought Cooper took. Hayden received two emergency chutes packed by Cossey to meet regs and I can't see one having a modified handle.

There is no proof other than Cossey's statements and muddled FBI docs.. it fits the evidence of the Hayden chute packing cards not matching.

The problem is the FBI.. their files are not conclusions, they are investigation notes, some facts with errors, vagueness, opinions and interpretations..  The files we get to see are redacted and selected to control information. The FBI's top priority is and always has been to maintain the perception of integrity with the public and present the FBI in the best light. Anything that makes the FBI look bad won't be released to us.. we are getting a small a fraction of the files.  If they mixed up the chutes and later discovered it they wouldn't admit it.

Initially, my concern was that Cossey believing his chute was used by Cooper was comparing the found chutes to the wrong one. But, when the packing cards didn't match, it became clear Cooper didn't take either of Hayden's chutes. That only leaves Cossey's as one he used. Now, it is entirely possible that the FBI is hiding some other scenario.. but the bottom line is Cooper did not take either of Hayden's chutes, they are both accounted for by their packing cards.

Edited by FLYJACK

Problem with your scenario:  Hayden didn't buy, or own, any belly packs. Only two belly packs were provided, and one was a trainer. Both came from Sky Sports. If Cossey owned one of the Sky Sports chutes, it would have to be the pink chute, the belly pack that was popped for the cord by Cooper. Record says only two mains (backpacks) were provided and those came from Hayden. 

Hayden had no reason to buy a belly pack. He needed only bailout rigs, (backpacks) so that's what he bought. You need a chute to go with that unexplained packing card. No sport flyer is going to use a belly pack alone, and no sport flyer will wear both a belly pack AND a bailout rig. If Cooper didn't use any of Hayden's bailout rigs, then why didn't Hayden ask for two chutes to be returned to him? 

28 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Problem with your scenario:  Hayden didn't buy, or own, any belly packs. Only two belly packs were provided, and one was a trainer. Both came from Sky Sports. If Cossey owned one of the Sky Sports chutes, it would have to be the pink chute, the belly pack that was popped for the cord by Cooper. Record says only two mains (backpacks) were provided and those came from Hayden. 

Hayden had no reason to buy a belly pack. He needed only bailout rigs, (backpacks) so that's what he bought. You need a chute to go with that unexplained packing card. No sport flyer is going to use a belly pack alone, and no sport flyer will wear both a belly pack AND a bailout rig. If Cooper didn't use any of Hayden's bailout rigs, then why didn't Hayden ask for two chutes to be returned to him? 

"bellypacks" are completely irrelevant in this. 

Yes, they came from Skysports. Not sure why you think they are part of this issue.

Cossey sent in two back chutes from his home,, separate from the two Skysports chest chutes.

Hayden thought Cooper had used one of his chutes so in his mind only one was available to be returned, the one left on the plane. The FBI initially denied the request claiming it was evidence in the case. They eventually sent him one of his chutes, not the one left on the plane, the packing card didn't match.

(edited)

'Cossey sent in two back chutes from his home,, separate from the two Skysports chest chutes...'

Now we get to the heart of the matter. You believe Cossey used a cab to send chutes to the SeaTac Airport. 

There is no record of Cossey doing this. There is a record of Hayden doing this. Why is there no record for Cossey? 

Are you basing this on Cossey telling people much later he did this, or is there some newspaper reference or otherwise from around the time of the hijacking to support it? The John Detlor report is pretty clear. Four chutes obtained, four delivered to the airport. The 'other' report is pretty confusing and isn't clear at all. The Detlor report says nothing about Cossey except that he was the guy who had previously packed the two chutes provided by Hayden, and even mentions that Hayden could identify his own chutes. 

I'm still thinking that a second interview with Norman Hayden is called for here. Since Cossey cannot be interviewed now, it's the only way to reconcile the whole thing. Why don't you present pictures of all the packing cards you have pictures of again, and I will go over everything you have presented the last three pages or so. There might be an answer in there somewhere. 

For the record, Hayden claims Cossey never provided any of the chutes, but just said he did. But I would like to hear more from both of you. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

19 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Now we get to the heart of the matter. You believe Cossey used a cab to send chutes to the SeaTac Airport. 

There is no record of Cossey doing this. There is a record of Hayden doing this. Why is there no record for Cossey? 

Are you basing this on Cossey telling people much later he did this, or is there some newspaper reference or otherwise from around the time of the hijacking to support it? The John Detlor report is pretty clear. Four chutes obtained, four delivered to the airport. The 'other' report is pretty confusing and isn't clear at all. The Detlor report says nothing about Cossey except that he was the guy who had previously packed the two chutes provided by Hayden, and even mentions that Hayden could identify his own chutes. 

I'm still thinking that a second interview with Norman Hayden is called for here. Since Cossey cannot be interviewed now, it's the only way to reconcile the whole thing. Why don't you present pictures of all the packing cards you have pictures of again, and I will go over everything you have presented the last three pages or so. There might be an answer in there somewhere. 

For the record, Hayden claims Cossey never provided any of the chutes, but just said he did. But I would like to hear more from both of you. 

You miss the point.. and focus on the minutia. I am not basing this on Cossey..

It is based on the packing cards not matching,,  that means one thing,, Cooper didn't jump with either of Hayden's back chutes. Then where did it come from... most likely Cossey's story was true and Cooper jumped with his modified NB8.

I've explained this over and over and posted the packing card and relevant FBI information. Hayden's packing card for the chute he received is in Bruce's article. The year and serial number for the chute found on the plane are in several places in the FBI files. The packing dates and rigger Cossey match as they should, but the year and serial number do not.

Let me get this straight. You dismiss minutia and base your theory on a couple of packing cards, no actual record of delivery of any Cossey-provided chutes to SeaTac, and ignore evidence that Cossey lied to the media for years...as well as him providing a bullshit story regarding the biggest parachute find in Cooper history...and expect people to accept all this?

These cards you quote come from the Reno FBI office. Same guys who lost some of the most vital evidence in the case, the cigarette butts and god knows what else. You don't have a single page from any FBI file (so far) that validates the idea that Earl Cossey provided chutes to the hijacker, although they do indicate he packed them some months prior to the crime.  

Unless I see something better than what is already officially known by several sources, this is what I think:

The report by Seattle FBI agent John Detlor is accurate, Hayden gave a true account in his interviews, and Cossey BS'd both the media and the FBI for years. And when they finally dump a chute in his driveway that very well could be Cooper's, he writes it off with another lie. He knew that chute wasn't made of silk. But he told everyone in the media who called him at his home about it that it was. 

It was at that point the Seattle FBI realized he was a poor witness. A Bic lighter could have revealed all that with a simple test, which the FBI probably did when they brought that chute back to their office in Seattle. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I DO know they had about three additional days to do their own study on it before they went in front of the media. Inquiries were coming in from news sources worldwide. 

Discovering that Cossey was full of it, and the chute was nylon, found in the 'right place, was the right color, and the right size,' (quote from them after the discovery) they also realized it probably WAS from the hijacking so many years ago. And that was the exact point they brought down the hammer on any further public releases about it, and refused to reveal HOW they came to the conclusion it wasn't Cooper's...which was almost certainly a whitewash of the whole thing. 

My money says they figured out it probably WAS Cooper's, and decided to keep that information under wraps. No body with the chute, no container, no harness, no money. If the chute was Cooper's they also realized he walked away after a successful landing. For the previous 28 years, they had gone on record as saying they thought Cooper was dead. (After the Tina Bar money discovery) Must have been a real shock to them to realize they were wrong about that all along. 

"We can't discuss the parachute found in Amboy. It's evidence in an ongoing case..."

This is what they were saying more than five years after they said it WASN'T. I wonder why they would say that. Hmm. 

The chutes are a big piece of the case. I’ve found it interesting how each one of us focuses on certain aspects of the case, and even a focus within a focus. 

Some things I think about on the chutes. 

How the heck does a dummy chute end up on the plane? This is very suspect. 

Who is able to put on a harness so quickly?

Some pics I received from some old timers who were Naval aviators  on the Beechcraft “Twin Beech” a Navy recon and utility aircraft in the 1940s and after.  Note the backpack chutes on the shelf and then the shot of the seats where the belly chutes would be hooked.  One of the aircrew told me that they flew with the harness on and in an emergency would just clip on the belly chute  

1796A780-8C35-409A-AA4A-4290A3D50429.jpeg

78A17945-CA9B-49B0-8369-4D3E11E989CA.jpeg

As per last few posts...  I thought I had read somewhere that the state patrol delivered Hayden's chutes? Wasn't one (or two?) delivered by private vehicle by someone not named in the F.B.I. docs? Is it possible that Cossey misled the public about the public about the Amboy chute on orders from the F.B.I. ?

6 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Let me get this straight. You dismiss minutia and base your theory on a couple of packing cards, no actual record of delivery of any Cossey-provided chutes to SeaTac, and ignore evidence that Cossey lied to the media for years...as well as him providing a bullshit story regarding the biggest parachute find in Cooper history...and expect people to accept all this?

These cards you quote come from the Reno FBI office. Same guys who lost some of the most vital evidence in the case, the cigarette butts and god knows what else. You don't have a single page from any FBI file (so far) that validates the idea that Earl Cossey provided chutes to the hijacker, although they do indicate he packed them some months prior to the crime.  

Unless I see something better than what is already officially known by several sources, this is what I think:

The report by Seattle FBI agent John Detlor is accurate, Hayden gave a true account in his interviews, and Cossey BS'd both the media and the FBI for years. And when they finally dump a chute in his driveway that very well could be Cooper's, he writes it off with another lie. He knew that chute wasn't made of silk. But he told everyone in the media who called him at his home about it that it was. 

It was at that point the Seattle FBI realized he was a poor witness. A Bic lighter could have revealed all that with a simple test, which the FBI probably did when they brought that chute back to their office in Seattle. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I DO know they had about three additional days to do their own study on it before they went in front of the media. Inquiries were coming in from news sources worldwide. 

Discovering that Cossey was full of it, and the chute was nylon, found in the 'right place, was the right color, and the right size,' (quote from them after the discovery) they also realized it probably WAS from the hijacking so many years ago. And that was the exact point they brought down the hammer on any further public releases about it, and refused to reveal HOW they came to the conclusion it wasn't Cooper's...which was almost certainly a whitewash of the whole thing. 

My money says they figured out it probably WAS Cooper's, and decided to keep that information under wraps. No body with the chute, no container, no harness, no money. If the chute was Cooper's they also realized he walked away after a successful landing. For the previous 28 years, they had gone on record as saying they thought Cooper was dead. (After the Tina Bar money discovery) Must have been a real shock to them to realize they were wrong about that all along. 

This is what they were saying more than five years after they said it WASN'T. I wonder why they would say that. Hmm. 

The packing cards are evidence.. 

You still don't understand, Deltor NEVER EVER states that both of Hayden's chutes went to Cooper. Hayden has ZERO knowledge of his chutes after he sent them in. Deltor, Hayden and Cossey's conjecture are all irrelevant and do not explain or undermine the discrepancy of the packing cards. You are defending and repeating your position without any real argument. 

You need to explain the packing card discrepancy and you haven't done that, not even close.

I tried to figure out a plausible explanation and could only come up with one explanation.. the chute Hayden received back wasn't the one left on the plane.

So, which chute did Cooper jump with?

2 hours ago, haggarknew said:

As per last few posts...  I thought I had read somewhere that the state patrol delivered Hayden's chutes? Wasn't one (or two?) delivered by private vehicle by someone not named in the F.B.I. docs? Is it possible that Cossey misled the public about the public about the Amboy chute on orders from the F.B.I. ?

The State Patrol delivered the two chest chutes from Skysports. Hayden's two back chutes were delivered by cab and Cossey claimed he sent in two back chutes by cab but that isn't confirmed elsewhere.

If Cossey actually sent in two backpacks, why did he not use his contacts with the Seattle FBI to try and get one or both of them returned to him? Hayden got his back simply by paying a lawyer $250 to send in a request by letter. They didn't even argue about it. They contacted him and two agents met up with him and gave it back. 

21 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

If Cossey actually sent in two backpacks, why did he not use his contacts with the Seattle FBI to try and get one or both of them returned to him? Hayden got his back simply by paying a lawyer $250 to send in a request by letter. They didn't even argue about it. They contacted him and two agents met up with him and gave it back. 

He claimed he did get one back...  From Cossey's perspective he thought/claimed both chutes sent to Cooper were his and Cooper used the NB8. That leaves the one left on the plane. However, that was Hayden's so IF Cossey did get one back it was the one he sent in that didn't go to Cooper.

I think you have to put yourself in the minds and perspectives of the people at the time..

Hayden isn't lying, he is expressing his belief based on his perspective at the time. That doesn't mean he is correct.

Both Cossey and Hayden believed theirs were the only two back chutes sent in and used. Therefore, each believes the other is a liar.

Bottom line is,,, Based on the packing cards not matching both of Hayden's chutes are accounted for and Cooper could not have jumped with either of his. So, we have to move to determine the source for the chute Cooper used. Cossey is just the best explanation regardless of his sometimes unreliable statements.

Tom Kaye has found more data..

He writes..

"So now this info suggests:

The money got wet around July and was then buried.
The money find does NOT support the western flight path
It does not support Cooper digging a hole on the beach on his way out of town. 
It brings the dredge theory back into play (but it is still weak in that you can't get bundles intact through a dredge)

It suggests that the money event happened in a displaced time frame from the jump event." 

A displaced time frame is big...

(edited)

Two interesting and weird news accounts..

Cooper gave two the Stews a packet of $2000 bills each. He also tried to tip Schaffner with his own money, but she refused it..

and.. Cooper demanded V-23.

coopermoneypacket.jpeg

v23cooper.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

8 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

The State Patrol delivered the two chest chutes from Skysports. Hayden's two back chutes were delivered by cab and Cossey claimed he sent in two back chutes by cab but that isn't confirmed elsewhere.

I thought agent Carr at one time stated that two chutes (back chutes ?) were delivered to Boeing field by cab before being sent to Sea-tec by a private vehicle driven by an unnamed individual? I think I read this at Bruce Smith's website. I think it was in an article pertaining to Cossey, possibly around the time of his death?

I have never heard the story the Scranton paper published, and I think some of it was made up by an eager reporter or something. 

The story about Rataczak wanting to fly out over the ocean is true. The San Francisco Chronicle interviewed him personally in 1996 (25th anniversary) and yes...Rataczak wanted to do that but his request was denied. 

I have suggested to Tom Kaye that he join Quora and establish a profile there, and then go for Contributor status at the Everything D.B. Cooper Space. I gave a few reasons, but none I can discuss here. 

Well, okay. I can tell you ONE reason. I said his content would be read by many more people than right now.

I sent him a picture to support my case. Let's face it. This beats "You cannot view links or pictures, register or login" somewhere else, which IMHO is so 20th century and all. 

RBprofileFeb182020.jpg.62d9dcbd737f1d851c025e946bd5ba8f.jpg

"There's a sucker born every minute"

and no shortage of bad DB Cooper docutainment programs..

Ulis is good at self promotion,, Cooper research not so much.

"The Final Hunt For D.B. Cooper follows D.B. Cooper expert Eric Ulis, who has spent over 7,500 hours investigating the mystery including analyzing evidence, interviewing witnesses, reading 20,000+ pages of FBI case files and exploring important locations. Ulis believes that he’s found the true location where Cooper landed during his daring dive. He has assembled a team of specialists to explore the untouched Washington backcountry, federally restricted wildlife refuge land, to hunt for the missing evidence Cooper left behind. Armed with new information, the team will travel to parts of Washington state that have never been searched attempting to solve the only unsolved skyjacking in United States history. It is produced by Lost Arts Pictures in association with 3BMG. Grant Cross, Ross Weintraub, Myles Reiff and Eric Ulis serve as executive producers. Max Micallef serves as executive producer for History."

https://deadline.com/2020/02/laurence-fishburne-historys-greatest-mysteries-titanic-roswell-1202861301/

(edited)

It's no big deal...they won't find anything at the Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge anyway. And then excuses will be made, and the usual 'the mystery continues' stuff will make it a wrap. 

However, like all Cooper documentaries, some are better than others. You never know. The most viewed documentary, and probably the best one, was the original hosted by Leonard Nimoy, aka In Search of. They did quite a lot considering the FBI hadn't yet released much beyond the basic facts and description of Cooper. In second place is the Decoded episode. In their two-season run, that episode of Decoded was first place on number of viewers and the series DVD does well at Amazon. Questions come in to me about it, nine years after it first aired.

Lately, I've been more busy preparing for the final D.B. Cooper Campout. This is it. No more. Back to solo camping the high country of the PNW until I move from here next year. "I move better ALONE," as Willem Dafoe said in Platoon. Several slots have been filled, and the Craigslist event ad doesn't come out until mid-March. In order to run this event notice at CL, I have to toss it open to everybody and anybody. It's required. I can't make any restrictions or they will red flag it immediately. So I don't know what will happen, but it should be interesting. And that will be that as far as my public interaction on the case. These days, I spend much more time upgrading my Nissan truck than I do working the Cooper Thingie. After about 12 years of researching, posting, hosting campouts, going on TV, radio, or phone interviews...I am just PLAIN TIRED of the whole Cooperland thing. That is no baloney. If they do the Cooper movie I am working with now, my autobiography Cooperland comes out the same day. If they don't do the movie, I will release it in 2021. Sample? See HERE.

I am counting the days until April/May 2021 because that is the latest date I will finally be moving to either SoCal or NW Arizona. I prefer AZ. Right now I am also making some dialogue changes to the script for the upcoming Cooper movie and will submit those next weekend to the production staff. I did not add or subtract any shots or scenes. I merely cleaned up the dialogue a bit. 

It looks like they really will shoot this picture at last, according to latest word. I know the production companies shelled out WGA scale rates to an in-demand screenwriter to do the basic script, and that ain't cheap. That kind of expense doesn't always result in a green light, but it sure helps. I guess they must be serious, after all. 

I won't wish EU any ill. (My video below merely makes fun of him a bit) He's on the wrong track I think, but if you get an invite to be in a Cooper documentary, you should take it. I will make an exception for D.B. Cooper, Case Closed? which was ridiculous. The REAL FBI even raided the production company offices during production shooting, and Billy Jensen, the young guy from the New York Times who participated in the show told me later in an email he wanted nothing further to do with the whole thing, and wished he hadn't agreed to come on board.

Can't say I blame him. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins