18 18
quade

DB Cooper

7 minutes ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Flyjack - I tend to agree with this. At least it makes sense. But, I do have to point out that a few posts ago you were pointing out that the FBI certainly looked at people that were shorter than what was in the description and that we couldn't be sure about the height. OK, fair enough. But let's remember, they also looked at people that did not have dark eyes, including Sheridan. So, by your own logic, how sure can we be about the dark eyes?

I knew you would say this,, but there are two different issues here.

First, I was pointing out the reason for the FBI's "possibly brown" claim = dark eyes. It wasn't meant to claim possibly blue... Flo claimed "dark eyes" if she was wrong that is another issue. Recalling eye colour is far more accurate than height recall.

People have been using the "possibly brown" claim to advance blue eyes. For that to be true Flo had to be completely wrong. It is possible but it is really a different claim. To advance a blue eyed suspect Flo had to be wrong whereas height was an estimate.

Second, the other difference is I wouldn't use eyes alone to eliminate. A suspect with blue eyes would have to have other overwhelming factors to remain included, none do/did. That is my beef with your height issue, you are using it as a single factor elimination..  even worse, you don't know Tina's actual height and you don't know if she had shoes on, you don't know the height of somebody recorded as 5' 8" while in shoes... too many variables. 

If I am 5' 8 3/4" no shoes, sometimes I write 5' 8" sometimes 5' 9" and I am about 5' 10" in shoes.. does that alone qualify for Cooper elimination.

I remember Larry Carr saying that they weigh many factors to eliminate, it is never a single one. (unless it is way way off the description).

(edited)

'But let's remember, they also looked at people that did not have dark eyes, including Sheridan. So, by your own logic, how sure can we be about the dark eyes?...'

They did look at people with blue eyes, maybe even green. Tips came in, agents were sent. Who knows? They looked at a thousand people over the years, some in person, some just eliminated without a personal visit. Maybe they didn't know about the nature of color contacts in 1971, that they looked downright weird. It is hard to say. 

EDIT: I have had a couple of suggestions come in via email from people who have shown interest in the (April 3-5) Spring Cooper Campout. They said maybe holding it anywhere from the weekend prior to Memorial Day...until the end of summer...might be better. 

I asked why. They replied: FISHING. 

LOL I never thought of that. I am taking this under consideration because I think it's a damn good idea. In that case, we could have the gathering at Spider Lake, which is in the Olympic National Forest, NW of Shelton, WA. I have actually been there. It is lightly visited and there are plenty of large near-the-lake campsites. Easy drive in...not too rough on the roads although there are some potholes. (Click on images to view full size.)
1496489277_SpiderLake.jpg.b85de611b8fea9aa547f4c8518c9309f.jpg
SpiderLkMap2.jpg.ef683c01b286d2a74586731ef27b0c5e.jpg

One of the things I'm required to do for a Craigslist-announced event is to set not just a meetup point, but a final destination. I got red flagged on my Event ad for not doing that. So...since this will probably be the final Cooper Campout ever, maybe we just do it at Spider Lake and welcome anyone who shows up. Hell, I don't care. I figure anyone who drives that twenty miles from the main road to the lake must be serious. It's a nice lake with a marked trail going around it. You see a few people there in the summer, but not many. I'm beginning to like this idea a lot. You can't tell from the pictures, but there are quite a few large campsites around the lake. Fishing is open there in June. 

spiderlk1.jpg.127d09715e6ad18c9566870889f2ac3a.jpg

spiderlk3.jpg.8bc8d414cb562733d82541ff910f713b.jpg

EDIT: I talked to Greg the Techie Guy and some other folks this evening. It has been DECIDED. There will be only ONE Cooper Campout for 2020, and it will be held at Spider Lake over the summer. The April campout is canceled and any articles or internet references I have access to will be removed. 

Too early in the year, too shaky on the weather, etc. That doesn't mean I'm not going anywhere that April weekend though. I'm going to Spider Lake to 'scope' out the situation and see for myself, take some pictures and maybe do a video. Even though it is pretty far into the Olympics, it's only 400 feet above sea level. Snow should not be a problem. I once took a Toyota motor home up there in November. I am already looking at other weekends later in the year (June-Sept) for the Cooper Campout there, although I think June is probably best. The later you go into the summer, the more people are committed to other things. June could work. More on this later, or you can contact me privately. 

Checking WA state fishing regs, I found out that Spider Lake is Region 6 and open for game fish YEAR ROUND. You just need a license, and there are no tackle restrictions except no treble hooks. You can use bait or anything else as long as trebles are not on your line. Good news. 

Greg says we should just bring everything we have and go all-out. He means all the power and media gear, the projector, the TV's, the big screen for the projector, and everything else we've collected for the previous campouts. A three-day Cooper event, and let the public show up as they will until there isn't any more room at the main site, and then let anyone else find their own spot for parking or camping. I think he's onto something here. Might as well go out with a bang....Gayla and I are leaving WA state for good no later than April 2021 and probably sooner. I think this will be 'it,' as they say. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert: Good luck with the camping trip.  I'm wondering how the folks in Cooperland can really get this case back in the spotlight, nationally and internationally?

Individual suspects hit the news, and there is an uptick in interest for a short time.  A show comes on like on the Travel Channel and we see an uptick.  A new suspect like Walter Reca comes out and we see an uptick.

How can we get sustained interest in this case so that people are thinking about it and wondering if it could be there grandfather, or they go looking in the family safety deposit boxes for $20's, or they hike the area of the flight path and look for relics?

How do we get the FBI to re-open the case, or at least take an interest in it?  I'm thinking if you write your congressman out there in Oregon that they would probably ignore it.  I'm just thinking that once the 50th anniversary comes and goes that this case could die.

48 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Robert: Good luck with the camping trip.  I'm wondering how the folks in Cooperland can really get this case back in the spotlight, nationally and internationally?

Individual suspects hit the news, and there is an uptick in interest for a short time.  A show comes on like on the Travel Channel and we see an uptick.  A new suspect like Walter Reca comes out and we see an uptick.

How can we get sustained interest in this case so that people are thinking about it and wondering if it could be there grandfather, or they go looking in the family safety deposit boxes for $20's, or they hike the area of the flight path and look for relics?

How do we get the FBI to re-open the case, or at least take an interest in it?  I'm thinking if you write your congressman out there in Oregon that they would probably ignore it.  I'm just thinking that once the 50th anniversary comes and goes that this case could die.

It's a 50 year old case. I doubt that the case will ever be back in the national spotlight, at least for any length of time. The upcoming special that is going to air on HBO may create some interest though. People seem to be more interested in docs that air on HBO and Netflix more so than the ones that air on Discover and Travel Channel. 

"The fingerprint lifts made during the search of the interior of the aircraft in the area where the hijacker was known to have been, such as the rear door, the area around the door, the lavatory door, as well as the seat area, susceptible to dusting, were submitted for fingerprint examination, but no fingerprints of value were found on any of the latents thus obtained. "

(edited)
12 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

It's a 50 year old case. I doubt that the case will ever be back in the national spotlight, at least for any length of time. The upcoming special that is going to air on HBO may create some interest though. People seem to be more interested in docs that air on HBO and Netflix more so than the ones that air on Discover and Travel Channel. 

The two viewed-by-most-people Cooper shows have been the In Search Of episode where Leonard Nimoy hosted, and the Decoded show for History Channel. The reason the Decoded show made the top two is because the series was later offered on DVD/Blu Ray at Amazon. The Cooper episode was the highest-rated episode in the two-season series. 

As far as the Minnow Films movie directed by John Dower, (people like Lyle Christiansen, Bruce Smith, yours truly, and the Forman couple participated) that is an unknown quantity. I have some messages from the exec producer and she said not to expect too much. More than ten hours of footage were cut down to a mere 84 minutes of actual content. 

She (producer) told me they were overwhelmed by the number of people involved in the case, as well as the many angles that surround it. What they ended up doing was leaving most of the material on the cutting room floor, and just touching briefly on as many points as they could. (I have not seen the show, I'm just quoting what the producer said.) I did a two-day paid shoot with them, and I was told just about everything was cut, but I am not the only one they did this with. Now I'm glad I held out for the money this time... B)

Dower's previous works include My Scientology Movie and The Thriller in Manila, but only Scientology appears at Amazon and is NOT on DVD. You can rent or buy the digital version only. Thriller isn't at Amazon at all. (LATE EDIT: You can buy the DVD at Walmart and a few other places, just Google on it. Amazon not currently carrying it in DVD.)

Most of you know that there is a movie coming, the first of its kind, that takes a dramatic feature film approach to the case. I have seen the script, and I know who they have cast in some of the parts. It's not a documentary, but more entertainment. I got an offer. This time I took it. 

If you want to put Cooper big-time in the public eye, then people have to organize to do so. There are too many splintered factions out there regarding Cooper. There is not a cohesive plan with EVERYONE involved. That is the problem. I came pretty close last year to pulling something like that off in Portland, but everyone...it seems...has an agenda that tries to exclude everyone else. Or only include them if it serves their agenda. 

I can tell you from experience that this approach won't work. A group effort from all angles is what is needed, but realistically will probably never happen. This would only happen if people like Bruce Smith, EU, Shutter, the Cooper Forum folks, people HERE, and yours truly actually worked together. At this point it is not likely. Now I'm no longer motivated to even trust anyone else...why should I? The movie will happen now no matter what I do. They will pay me in six figures plus a percentage of the box and some additional payments for an associate producer listing and video rights. What would motivate me to work with others now, to trust them? I should just take the money, retire to Arizona or SoCal, and let everyone fight it out. 

BELOW: The official trailer for My Scientology Movie. Two minutes of must-see. No kidding. 

"Do I look like I'm brainwashed to you?" one character asks. Answer: YES. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

The Cooper case is too complex for a film to do it justice...

To appeal to the widest audience a Cooper film has to be "superficial"..

These films/shows don't advance the case. It may be entertaining but I don't expect anything new.

Increased public interest isn't my goal... it doesn't advance the case, it perpetuates misinformation.

(edited)
6 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert, you're obviously not a boxing fan, it's "Thrilla" In Manila. I may give that one a view as I am an Ali fan. No desire to see the Scientology one though.

How is the Minnow films production cut down to 84 minutes? I thought this was a four episode documentary?

I explained that, i.e. about the cutting to 84 minutes. Producer (picture below) told me they were overwhelmed by the amount of material and personalities involved. It was NEVER to be a four part series, I don't know who told you that. It was explained to me at the start (I spent two whole days with the crew) that this was a feature film. First, it would be released at a couple of film festivals. Later, to the BBC and HBO. At that time it was a maybe on the HBO thing, though. BELOW: Director John Dower in center. Cameraman left, producer on right. (It's possible you are thinking of the four-part thing the Reca guys did a while back.) 
TheInvaders.jpg.c156f4539869c4634efd8898f4bd0f4c.jpg

Another picture below. The official release document. 

MinnowAnnoucement.jpg.bd46c883bc0b63eeaaf130c5ff27153c.jpg

I disagree with the ideas that a movie will just put out misinformation on Cooper, and that public interest is not a goal worth pursuing. You could say that about almost any movie based on a real crime. Hollywood has been doing that for a hundred years or more. Dillinger would be long forgotten if Hollywood went that route, and none of the movies on him have been very accurate. (Especially the latest one with Johnny Depp, Public Enemies. Pretty Boy Floyd was NOT killed BEFORE Dillinger was killed at the Biograph, and Dillinger's friend Walter was not killed during the prison break. The list of inaccuracies are many and legend in that picture.) 

And look how some documentaries on Cooper have been twisted, or full of crap? Like the DB Cooper - Case Closed? bit. That was ridiculous. But even as stupid as the whole production was, it did keep Cooper in the public eye. Amelia Earhart, same thing. Hollywood has done them all. They aren't there to solve crimes. They are there to entertain. The really accurate ones are mostly losers at the box office. It's too bad, but that's how it works in Hollywood. But they keep the public thinking anyway. Like that guy said once:

"Bad publicity is better than no publicity at all..."

You can't have it both ways. Bigfoot is a good Northwest example. He gets a lot of crazy coverage by (sometimes) equally crazy people. But he gets COVERAGE. The result is you still have these organizations taking the reports, and these people doing the shows on TV, and still OTHERS out there in the field chasing new leads. Mostly, these people will interact and work together if needed. 

In the Cooper thing, this is not really the case. We're being upstaged by some (probably) imaginary ape for God's sake. It's pathetic. :/ You have to accept the idea that if you want to move to the big time on your favorite unsolved crime, that a certain amount of weird and fluff is going to go along with that. There are serious discussions on whether aliens exist, for example. 

Try going to a UFO festival sometime. A Cooper festival would be tame compared to that. If Cooperland doesn't get their act together, after a while no one is going to care anymore. I tried to hammer this point home back in early 2018, and do something about it that would move Cooper to the next level. But everyone said I was Dr Evil and instead of a REAL event...with at least one major Hollywood star and the entire cast of Decoded showing up...you all got stuck with Eric Ulis and Captain Smith's daughter for crying out loud. Not the worst thing, but you could have done better. During the five years I served on the Auburn Days Festival planning committee, many of us did not agree. But we had sense enough to pull together an event that brought thousands into the streets each year. 

At this rate, the public will forget Cooper about a year after the 50th anniversary. The more you make it into 'fun' (YES< fun!) for the public, the better chance you have something will crack in the case at last. Maybe the FBI will relent on a few things. You never know. 

Let's face it. You've tried the 'dry' and 'factual' discussions online for more than a dozen years. You've tried a few modestly-attended 'conventions'. You've examined the redacted and un-redacted stuff from the FBI. You've exhausted practically every internet reference on Cooper. And you are still stuck with your feet in the mud. 

Maybe it's time to go to the next level. Here is another fact, also hard to face:  Despite all the negativity that has been tossed my way, the occasional lying, and all the other junk...almost a group effort by Cooperland...I still managed more public success than even I would have believed. Everyone has said, "He's just trying to make the public believe Kenny Christiansen was Cooper."

WRONG. I have no idea whether KC was Cooper. My efforts have been dedicated to just finding out the truth on him one way or another. There is nothing wrong with that. However...I also know there is a community out there of Cooper fans and investigators, and those people must also be served. Working together is the only thing that will succeed. And in order for that to happen, a majority of the people involved in all this should start making their voices heard. The fighting must stop. Cooper-ation must START. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Increasing public interest helps books, films and narratives, it doesn't help advance the case. The public does not have the knowledge and ability to discriminate and process all the information in such a complex case. They accept what they are presented as fact rather than develop their own conclusions. It perpetuates uninformed opinions.

(edited)
55 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Increasing public interest helps books, films and narratives, it doesn't help advance the case. The public does not have the knowledge and ability to discriminate and process all the information in such a complex case. They accept what they are presented as fact rather than develop their own conclusions. It perpetuates uninformed opinions.

Excuse me, but big deal and so what? You will get that on half the documentaries on TV, as well as movies on famous historical events. If you want the case solved for real, you have to include the public somehow, if for no other reason to continue interest in the case. 

About the only documentaries I ever saw that were pristine accurate were probably the Planet Earth series and the like. 

The conventions haven't brought large numbers of the public into the case, because none of them ever had a real 'hook,' except maybe the very first one hosted by Geoff Gray. When we do the Cooper Campouts, at night everybody talks about their pet theories around the fire. I dunno...seems like if everyone cooperated...at some point some organization, some BODY, is going to come forward and assist. For example, I would like pressure brought to bear on the FBI to release the full results of the partial profile taken from the tie. That way...any suspect's DNA could be run against it. 

Agent Fred Gutt told me that the partial sample cannot match a person directly to the hijacking, but it can definitely ELIMINATE them from contention. But that kind of DNA analysis won't be found in a handy-dandy box. I checked. It costs a TON of money to have it done. But with real public pursuit of the case, and people having fun along the way, it is possible some company or some person might start putting up the occasional funds to have a suspect's (or a close relative) DNA compared. Or some key witness might step out of the woodwork. 

EDIT: The problem I see between active investigators and the public is two-fold. First, there are too many anonymous people involved in the discussion. Second, there is a lack of mutual support and cooperation. In fact, there is a lot of backstabbing sometimes. 

It isn't like we're talking about UFOs here, or claiming the Earth is flat. All the best investigators go public. Ann Rule is a good example. Imagine how far she would get if she were known as 'CatLover49'. Not far. I'm not saying you should suddenly start using your real name. I just wonder how far you get when trying to contact people with questions. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
8 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

We need documentaries that treat the Cooper case as an unsolved mystery, instead we get suspectovision where a previously eliminated Cooper candidate is declared the winner.

Those kinds of documentaries won't work fifty years after the fact. Otherwise, they would only cover what happened up to and including the Tina Bar money find. I don't recall any of them declaring a winner. On the Rackstraw show, their best witness (Mucklow) told them no way. On the Decoded show, the cast couldn't agree on KC's guilt or innocence, and thought Geestman wasn't involved. On the Reca presentation, they have the hijacked jet going almost a hundred miles out of the way east over the Cascade mountains before turning south for Portland. Suspects have been checked out on different shows. No one has been declared a winner to my knowledge. 

Don't confuse TV and movies with either citizen-led, or police-led investigations. They are not the same. One brand is official. One brand is citizens working and discussing what they have. The other stuff is entertainment, and to a degree piques public interest. Sometimes this can help the other two versions. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Correction: Rackstraw, not Reca, on DB Cooper Case Closed.

(edited)

Tom Kaye found a diatom on 377's Cooper bill, Georger Id'd it as Asterionella.

Asterionella is common in the Columbia River..

However, Asterionella japonoca is a spring and summer species while Asterionella formosa is a winter species...

So which one is it? 

Coulmbia River diatoms...

columbiardiatom.jpeg.5c9d4bd3ffdc53dc667874e3794f3e4e.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

13 hours ago, Andrade1812 said:

We need documentaries that treat the Cooper case as an unsolved mystery, instead we get suspectovision where a previously eliminated Cooper candidate is declared the winner.

True. Many people who know who DB Cooper is would likely tell you the case is solved and it is Rackstraw or Reca. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I explained that, i.e. about the cutting to 84 minutes. Producer (picture below) told me they were overwhelmed by the amount of material and personalities involved. It was NEVER to be a four part series, I don't know who told you that. It was explained to me at the start (I spent two whole days with the crew) that this was a feature film. First, it would be released at a couple of film festivals. Later, to the BBC and HBO. At that time it was a maybe on the HBO thing, though. BELOW: Director John Dower in center. Cameraman left, producer on right. (It's possible you are thinking of the four-part thing the Reca guys did a while back.) 

I went back and looked and saw where Bruce had posted on TDBCF a few weeks ago that it was a 4 hour show that is going to be airing on HBO. I guess I just made an assumption that it would be 4 episodes. It's too bad that they cut it down to 84 minutes. But, that's still an hour and a half and I will buy HBO for a month so that I can watch it.

Robert, I really do wish that you could just answer a question without going into the whole working together thing every single time. It's get tiresome, and my guess is that once you start down that road that most people quit reading. I sure do.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

(edited)

Robert, I really do wish that you could just answer a question without going into the whole working together thing every single time. It's get tiresome, and my guess is that once you start down that road that most people quit reading. I sure do.

Well, I gave it my best shot. No one seems to be interested in such a concept anyway. Gayla says I should just give up on you guys, do maybe one or two more Cooper Campouts this year, and hang up the investigation into the case for good. Greg the Techie Guy is of the same opinion. I spent all day yesterday installing a set of Hella 500FF's onto the truck, and today I am installing canopy lights. I spend more time at Infamous Nissan dot com trying to assist Nissan truck owners than I do here on the Cooper case. I am already looking at homes in Arizona and near San Diego. One or the other. Most of my family, and Gayla's, lives between those two places on the map. Over the years, everyone left Washington state and now she and I are the last holdouts in the family still here. Meh. Time to go. 

Perhaps it's time to just quit trying all the Cooper stuff and move on to another phase. You can only beat your head against the wall with people for so long, and then you have to call it quits. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
15 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Tom Kaye found a diatom on 377's Cooper bill, Georger Id'd it as Asterionella.

Asterionella is common in the Columbia River..

However, Asterionella japonoca is a spring and summer species while Asterionella formosa is a winter species...

So which one is it? 

Coulmbia River diatoms...

columbiardiatom.jpeg.5c9d4bd3ffdc53dc667874e3794f3e4e.jpeg

Those guys at the Cooper Forum say they never look in on Dropzone...yet every time you post up something HERE...they start talking about you and what you said...over THERE. 

Maybe it's a psychic thing. B) Either that, or they haven't the courage to address you directly. 

On a side note regarding any possible movie on the Cooper case. SOME films actually get it right historically, so you never know. They include Gettysburg, Das Boot, Apollo 13, A Night to Remember, and 12 Years a Slave, among others. Once in a while, Hollywood does get the facts straight. We can but hope, I guess. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

If you think YOU'VE had weird jobs, you should try the one I had long ago while I was working my way through community college. People think they know me, but actually don't know much about me at all. It has nothing to do with Cooper, but sometimes it's good to know what the heck the source is about. My life is an open book, pretty much. No big mystery and no apologies. Never apologize about your life unless you are totally evil, but by then it doesn't matter anyway...and no one will care. ^_^

2 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert, I don't recall anyone at the Cooper forum saying they don't look at DZ. There is plenty there that won't post here, but I don't recall any of them saying they don't look here.

Georger wrote..

Its already happening - Blevins and Lyjack.  Weber will join them as soon as she finds out. Bruce will join. Some scapegoat will be blamed for shutting it all down again!  :rofl:

The VALUE of having it reopened remains to be seen ... if the beginning is any indication, the end will be the same. Just one more social media event with empty promises and a mountain of BS.  

As for me - I will not go where the troublemakers are. Its as simple as that. 

Parrotheadvol replied

Exactly. There's no need to go there.

(edited)

I had a posted response here, but I deleted it. 

I guess I just decided that Cooper and the usual stuff that surrounds all that can take a vacation in favor of honoring the late, great Kobe Bryant. 

KobeBryantCrashSite.jpg.989d67d31ec6f51693d7bc8bbaff43c8.jpg

Someone asked me today, "What does it all mean?" (regarding the death of Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter in the helicopter crash in Calabasas, CA.) I couldn't think of anything to say for a moment. I thought about it for a bit and said this:

"Imagine your NFL quarterback brings not one but FIVE Super Bowl championships to your city...and then as soon as he retires from playing...he is killed in a helicopter crash..." (The person who asked me that question was a big NFL fan, not NBA, so I tried to put it in a context he would understand.)

I couldn't think of anything else to say, although Kobe was a positive influence that extended far beyond just his play on the court. 

RIP Kobe. #8, #24. 

EDIT: The latest, and most complete coverage of the tragedy has been updated by the Los Angeles Times. All of the victims are now known, they knew each other as well, and heavy fog was a contributing factor. A witness nearby said he heard the copter struggling in the fog, that it was flying very low, and then he heard a loud explosion and saw a fireball. The copter was still traveling at near full speed when it hit the hillside, though. You can view the article, which the LA Times is offering up today for free... HERE. 

I am not the NTSB of course, but my initial guess is that the helicopter was having problems with one of its two engines, and that it crashed into the hillside because it could not gain additional altitude, and the pilot had no visual reference in the fog. And frankly, the whole thing is just sad beyond belief. According to the LA Times article, most helicopter flights in the general area had been canceled earlier in the day due to this heavy fog. The copter was less than five minutes away from its destination in Thousand Oaks when it crashed. 

EDIT: According to reports from ESPN and ATC net, a site that monitors air traffic control radio and records it for the public, the ATC had held the copter in the same place for about fifteen minutes. ATC also warned the pilot that he was so low that he was only intermittently visible on radar. The pilot then told ATC he was climbing to get above the fog, and was at an altitude of 2,400 feet. Shortly afterward, the copter suddenly dived into the ground for reasons unknown. At least two witnesses have reported that they heard what sounded like engine problems just prior to the crash. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Over at the Cooper Forum, Robert 99 says this about the Tina Bar money:

'I'll even spot you the probability that they three packets were were still in the original money bag when they were deposited at the location where they were found...'

Yeah. And I'll bet leprechauns with a pot of gold are sitting under your next rainbow. Flight path of 305 has been heavily documented, and the location the money was discovered was miles away from that path. And that path does not include Tina Bar. 

Robert 99 still foolishly believes that ATC radar, chase planes, the FBI, and the Air Force jets (with THEIR onboard radar) were all wrong, and Cooper actually jumped WEST of the Interstate 5 freeway. If there was even a whisper that he was right, the US Army wouldn't have shown up in Ariel for the initial search. 

It's laughable at best. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Georger wrote..

Its already happening - Blevins and Lyjack.  Weber will join them as soon as she finds out. Bruce will join. Some scapegoat will be blamed for shutting it all down again!  :rofl:

The VALUE of having it reopened remains to be seen ... if the beginning is any indication, the end will be the same. Just one more social media event with empty promises and a mountain of BS.  

As for me - I will not go where the troublemakers are. Its as simple as that. 

Parrotheadvol replied

Exactly. There's no need to go there.

I said I wasn't going to, but wound up coming anyway. That's a bit different from saying "I never look at DZ", while at the same time looking at DZ.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

9 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I had a posted response here, but I deleted it. 

I guess I just decided that Cooper and the usual stuff that surrounds all that can take a vacation in favor of honoring the late, great Kobe Bryant. 

KobeBryantCrashSite.jpg.989d67d31ec6f51693d7bc8bbaff43c8.jpg

Someone asked me today, "What does it all mean?" (regarding the death of Bryant and his 13-year-old daughter in the helicopter crash in Calabasas, CA.) I couldn't think of anything to say for a moment. I thought about it for a bit and said this:

"Imagine your NFL quarterback brings not one but FIVE Super Bowl championships to your city...and then as soon as he retires from playing...he is killed in a helicopter crash..." (The person who asked me that question was a big NFL fan, not NBA, so I tried to put it in a context he would understand.)

I couldn't think of anything else to say, although Kobe was a positive influence that extended far beyond just his play on the court. 

RIP Kobe. #8, #24. 

EDIT: The latest, and most complete coverage of the tragedy has been updated by the Los Angeles Times. All of the victims are now known, they knew each other as well, and heavy fog was a contributing factor. A witness nearby said he heard the copter struggling in the fog, that it was flying very low, and then he heard a loud explosion and saw a fireball. The copter was still traveling at near full speed when it hit the hillside, though. You can view the article, which the LA Times is offering up today for free... HERE. 

I am not the NTSB of course, but my initial guess is that the helicopter was having problems with one of its two engines, and that it crashed into the hillside because it could not gain additional altitude, and the pilot had no visual reference in the fog. And frankly, the whole thing is just sad beyond belief. According to the LA Times article, most helicopter flights in the general area had been canceled earlier in the day due to this heavy fog. The copter was less than five minutes away from its destination in Thousand Oaks when it crashed. 

EDIT: According to reports from ESPN and ATC net, a site that monitors air traffic control radio and records it for the public, the ATC had held the copter in the same place for about fifteen minutes. ATC also warned the pilot that he was so low that he was only intermittently visible on radar. The pilot then told ATC he was climbing to get above the fog, and was at an altitude of 2,400 feet. Shortly afterward, the copter suddenly dived into the ground for reasons unknown. At least two witnesses have reported that they heard what sounded like engine problems just prior to the crash. 

Reminiscent of the day that Dale Earnhardt died. I was a huge fan of his at the time. I haven't watched NASCAR since and they have never recovered from his death.