scottjaco

DC-9 Jet at Perris

It would be interesting to see how things went if UT wouldespouse his theories to Pat face-to-face.

Nope, I value my life.

UT, if you are not happy with the policies at perris, please feel free to not return.
why go someplace that you don't like?

I never said I didn't like Perris. You guys are acting a like protective cult and are afraid to hear an opinion that might be of credence. I know what I like and dislike about Perris and I will say they are far and out the best skydiving facility in California. That doesn’t mean they are perfect.

I know whats best for this dropzone.

UntamedDOG

Bwahhhhhhhhh now that's some funny sh*t right there. Bwahhhh

Every DZ can be better. Every DZ needs to make improvements. I don't mind that UTD has an opinion (even though I disagree with them)
I've read UTG's posts .and I gotta tell ya...I find it interesting that the folks at Perris don't know a person by the name listed in UTGs profile. Not a flame just a statement as it came up in conversation.
I would say its just more Kbone.
We'll give him the spoon award.;)

Perris and the Conasters do not need to explain/justify why they do what they do. It is.. quite simply ..their business.

gotta go with betsy on this one... everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's just an opinion, not fact. i'm not a dzo, but at a cessna dz (like my home dz), you kinda see what is going on. there is a huge amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to keep even a small dz operating, i can't imagine what it ouwld take to run a place the size of perris (or eloy, or sdc, or any of the other 'big' dz's) with all the aircraft, staff, equipment and everything else that makes a dropzone happen.

the fact that they have run the business well enough over the years to finance a wind tunnel ($1,000,000+ i believe) and buy a jet, then refit it for jumping, build up a runway to handle it and jump through all the regulatory hoops to get it in the air tells me that they have a pretty good handle on what they're doing. more power to them! B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I don't have a beef. I'm just being honest in my opinion. This plane is a joke.

You know what hey say about opinions. YOurs is so far off base that it stinks even more then most.

The Conatsers have done a lot for this sport and the jumpers at Perris. JP is right, you sound like Kbone. Are we in for more muck raking? Another person that has a personal vendeta against the Conatsers. Or are you just bitter for some reason?

This plane is not a joke. IT is the real deal. what are you going to do when we are jumping it? Stand up and retract all the crap that you wrote?

You guys are acting a like protective cult and are afraid to hear an opinion that might be of credence.

Not a cult. Just a group that doesn't want to hear BS. Give a good reason why you say the things you say.

Why on Earth would they spend all that money on a Jet that they never intend to fly? Why lie about it to the entire jumping world? Don't you think that woul dbe bad business. DOn'nt you think that would do more harm to PErris then good? The Conatsers may be a lot of things to a lot of people. But one thing they are not...is stupid. To do what you suggest would be stupid on their part.

How come I have never met you? DO you really jump at Perris? Introduce yourself next time you are out. Most of the time people aren't as big of a jackass in real life as they appear online. MAybe we can sit dwn with PAt and Ben and ask them what their "real" plan is with the Jet. I mean why speculate when I can get you touch with them and figure it out?
Dom

this might be real dumb question, but what about this beast being at WFFC????? They have gotten aproval in the past to have a jet that was just retro fitted for jumping. What would be the difference? At the wffc each year they say it was because of insurance with the plane, well Perris has the insurance. Can sombody please explain to me why this is not doable or what is the real reason the holdup is not the magic bullet theory of it's all fake? I am missing it.

Can sombody please explain to me why this is not doable or what is the real reason the holdup is not the magic bullet theory of it's all fake? I am missing it.

There is plenty of work to be done before this plane can fly jumpers....It is not cheap or easy to do all this. I would not count on this DC-9 being at the WFFC..It miight, but the main hold up is paperwork.

As far as I know a DC-9 has NEVER flown civilian jumpers. And if so never as a business.

The hold up is paperwork. But the FAA takes a LONG time to do anything.

The plane at the WFFC was a 727. Different plane and while it should not be that big of a deal...It is.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The FISDO out here sat on there heels for a long time. Ben and PAt have jumped through every hoop they asked and then some. The problem has been getting the FAA to give them hoops to jump through.

Now that the Jet is Airworthy, they have flown it off to San Bernadino, while the runway is going to be ripped up and re-done. It is happening. It will fly jumpers. I am willing to bet that it will be at Rantoul, maybe not this year, but it will be.

One think that UTD is right about is that it seems to be just like opening a small airline for this jet. At least this is the impression I was given.
Dom

this might be real dumb question, but what about this beast being at WFFC????? They have gotten aproval in the past to have a jet that was just retro fitted for jumping. What would be the difference? At the wffc each year they say it was because of insurance with the plane, well Perris has the insurance. Can sombody please explain to me why this is not doable or what is the real reason the holdup is not the magic bullet theory of it's all fake? I am missing it.

A little background on the 727 at the WFFC. When Don first approached the FAA about it, they said they would get back to him with a list of concerns. Took nearly a year, but when he got their list it was more than 50 items long. Each item had to be researched and addressed. Took nearly another year. Two years of VERY hard and expensive work to bring that puppy to the WFFC the first time. It would be nice if we could just call them up and say "hey, we got this here cool plane we wanna jump out of!" and they said "ok, no prob!" but it's incredibly complicated, and even after they give you the go ahead, they can still change their minds.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Do you know what's involved in laying a runway suitable for a DC-9? Will the construction interrupt normal jump operations?

/just curious

Now THERE'S a million dollar question I've been wondering about. It's going to take more than another 3 in. of asphalt to handle this baby. What exactly is going to have to be done, how long will it take, and what kind of delays might we have to expect ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I didn't find the toilets to be in bad condition when I visited Perris for the new years... this january.. Both in the bunkhouse or the "public restrooms".. very good. What do you actually do in there? I go in there and get out after I've done my thing... Preferably before the fluorescent-tube has blinked though it's start-up sequence :P I read my copy of Skydiving in my trailer... :)
Now, imagine going to the toilet on your way up to altitude??? Has been done on DC-3 loads... but who get's to be the FIRST on a DC-9 skydive load ;)

Ok... one thing I must comment about Perris...

.. the advertising... I don't understand why do they already advertise they got the jet... well... they do but it isn't flying any jumpers... yet... :|

>>1) Remodel the bathrooms; I’ve seen outhouses that were nicer. <<

We tend to forget Perris is the very first drop zone to have a for-real fully dedicated skydiving brick shithouse. It was also found to be dual purpose when early ten-man speed exits are stacked up against its wall . . .

I like your upfrontness on things, UntamedDOG, but whatever their faults (which we all have) the Conatsers have always been there for us . . .

BTW, who knows why the pool is really there?

NickD :)BASE 194

LOL, I can always count on you Gary . . .

No, when Ben first wanted to build permanent structures the local Perris fire department wouldn't sign off as there weren't any water hydrants anywhere nearby. The pool was the solution as the fire department said they could use their pump truck, using the pool's water, to douse any major fires . . .

And I can't believe I forgot this . . .

The only thing that ever burned up at Perris (besides the DC-3) was the pool. Some girl (to remain nameless) drained some avgas from one of the planes and dumped it into the pool. I remember stumbling out of the bombshelter and the flames were 100-feet in the air.

Look under the aluminum ladder and at some of the tiles around the edge and you can still see the burn marks . . .

Some girl (to remain nameless) drained some avgas from one of the planes and dumped it into the pool.

Do you know why she would dump it into the pool?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Well let's just review what you've posted here shall we?
this plane will probably never be used for skydiving We'll just have to wait and see on that.

Maybe Pat should have used all that money to cut skydivers a break on jump tickets? $22 is pretty standard. This sport getting a bit pricy for you?

This plane is a joke. How do you qualify that statement?

Remodel the bathrooms; I’ve seen outhouses that were nicer.
You there to sh$t or skydive?

Maybe a class in business economics would benefit this situation Tell us about all of your business knowledge and real world application of that knowledge.

but with all the money we are spending, You got a mouse in your pocket? You seem to be the only one complaining.

In your vast 36 months of experience with skydiving you know what's best? Please. I don't know your age but Pat was doing innovative things in jumping while you were still trying to figure out how to walk. Egos like yours give jumpers a bad name.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Do you know why she would dump it into the pool?

Because it's fun?!

I did that once with stale boat fuel in a parking lot. It was fun throwing a armfull of bottle rockets into the fire and then running like crazy.

(on the flip side, 12 hours later I was under the gas having my appendix removed)

Some girl (to remain nameless) drained some avgas from one of the planes and dumped it into the pool.

And she ended up burning herself pretty good in the process...... SCreach!:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

UntamedDOG [/reply

Everybody thinks they know more than the next person in this sport. Just ignore people that have this attitude. Unfortunately these egos run rampant in our sport.

I would say this quote fits this comment perfectly. Remember who said it?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

$22 is pretty standard.

A 30% increase in jump ticket prices over 2 years is criminal. No other type of business is passing the fuel cost to it's customers like this.

Skydivers won't complain because like any cult, they aren't allowed to question.

This plane is a joke. How do you qualify that statement?

It is a waste of money and it will never fly.

You there to sh$t or skydive?

Both. My butt will not relax unless the porcelain is white. Similar to being bladder shy.