scottjaco

DC-9 Jet at Perris

I think some of the negative and cynical remarks made about Perris and the Conatsers in this thread are disgusting. There are some of us who can remember when Perris was mostly a lot of flat earth, with a rickety manifest shed that might fall over if somebody leaned up against it (and for all I know, maybe it did). The Conatsers have done an amazing job, year after year of building that dropzone up into one of the finest jump facilities in the world. Step by step they put in the pool and bath house, the main building, brought in DC-3s, built and rebuilt the Bombshelter, built and rebuilt bunkhouses, the IHOP, converted the fleet over to turbos, built the school and team rooms, and the wind tunnel. Am I forgetting anything ? Probably, they've done so much I can't really remember it all. So I'm not at all surprised they're going for it with the jet. Will it succeed ? I'm hoping so, if anyone can make it work it would be Perris Valley and the Conatsers.

It's easy to take a cheap shot at somebody else's success. Yeah, Perris is successful and we're fortunate to have one of the world's great dropzones right in our back yard. It's easy to find fault with a large successful operation, and there's always some baggage that goes with being a big operation. All I know is I have a great time when I jump at Perris and anybody who thinks they can do a better job is welcome to open their own place and see just how tough it is.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Amen to that dude. I had the time of my life when i was out there! Everyone from the coaches to the LO's to the staff in the school and in the Bombshelter went out of their way to make me feel at home.
From the moment i arrived they did everything they could to get me in the sky in the shortest time possible. I love Perris and as soon as i can afford to i'm going back there. Besides, i really wanna jump the jet! :DB|

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

It just takes a little understanding to realize how much work it takes to run a dropzone of this size

It's not the size that counts, but how you use it...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

It just takes a little understanding to realize how much work it takes to run a dropzone of this size

It's not the size that counts, but how you use it...

And they do that very well. Hat's off to the Conatsers!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I am new to the sport and just got my A license.

While visiting San Diego in 2 weeks, I am considering making my first visit to a different DZ at Perris.

That would be too cool if I could jump out of a DC-9.

I'm not sure of the timing, but I'm pretty sure it won't be ready 2 weeks from now.

That said, from one low-timer to another, I can highly recommend Perris for a visit. Haven't visited Skydive San Diego, so I can't compare, and while I've been to Elsinore I didn't have a chance to jump there because of the weather, so I can't really comment on the overall vibe there on a good jump day.

I had a great experience at Perris this weekend - the load organizers were very willing to get me onto a variety of jumps with jumpers who had much more expeirence than me. I learned a ton on every jump and felt very welcomed. Just ask at manifest who's LOing for the day, and you'll be sure to connect with some great folks for some cool jumps.

There's also a two-way skills camp that goes on (I think) most weekends - one of the Perris regulars could probably tell you more about that - another option for getting in some good learning while you're there.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am new to the sport and just got my A license.

While visiting San Diego in 2 weeks, I am considering making my first visit to a different DZ at Perris.

That would be too cool if I could jump out of a DC-9.

Just wondering? Will there be any restriction on who can jump the jet? license jump numbers etc. Also what will the exit speed be?

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

friday, preferably morning! And how late can I go before I should rush north to Costa Mesa ahead of the commute hour?

**cough, cough, cough**....is there -really- a good time to avoid 'rush hour' in OC? I think (especially on a friday) that rush hour never stops between 4 am and midnight. :|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

That rush hour isn't just in OC but also in north San Diego county. Its no worse than the OC variety. My advice is to stay through the sunset load and maybe a little social after. Traffic is going to suck either way might as well get the SS load for it.

Both good DZs, Both worth your visit.

And now BACK to the jet.

yeah, I know, guys. Traffic on a friday is bad pretty much in all the populated areas of California. But I've also found the corridor to San Diego to be pretty heinous on weekends. Maybe it makes more sense to head up earlier on the 15 to Elsinore.

Unfortunately, waiting out till dark isn't an option. The only time my Mom and I both have free time is that late afternoon and evening, so jumping will have to be secondary. The last two trips to LA, she was out of town. Sat I'm at BTG all day, Sunday I'm racing in San Diego, she's racing at San Dimas.

I think some of the negative and cynical remarks made about Perris and the Conatsers in this thread are disgusting.

Heyyyy

I was honestly saying I really miss Perris... I guess you weren't really replying to me but just wanted to make sure...

I've been there only once... and the only bad thing I can think of is that I got to stay there for only 5 days B|

Hope to get back there again, maybe already this year!!!

I guess you weren't really replying to me but just wanted to make sure...

Nope, he was probably flaming me for my earlier post. Like I said, I have nothing at all against the Conatsers. I think this aircraft is amazing from a novelty standpoint, but I just don’t see how this will improve the day-to-day operations at Perris.

Here are some humble suggestions.

1) Remodel the bathrooms; I’ve seen outhouses that were nicer.

2) Stop raising the price of beer at the Bombshelter! A bar is great to have at a dropzone but this place is no TGI Friday’s! If you want to charge like a real bar, it needs to look and feel like a bar, not a cafeteria!

3) Stop charging $17/per minute for the wind tunnel. You will make a better profit when people can afford to book time on a weekly basis. Maybe a class in business economics would benefit this situation. Right now the wind tunnel is being run like a tourist trap. This should not be the long-term goal since 5 minutes in the wind tunnel costs more than it does to visit Six Flags. Focus on the long term.

UntamedDOG

I have a humble suggestion for you... Why don't you go to Elsinore... I hear the bathrooms there are very nice indeed. And they charge absolutely nothing for their wind tunnel. I hear the beer is cheaper over there too...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I have a humble suggestion for you... Why don't you go to Elsinore... I hear the bathrooms there are very nice indeed. And they charge absolutely nothing for their wind tunnel. I hear the beer is cheaper over there too...

Man, I'd hate to see anything ruin their vibe...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The whole thing was likely a publicity stunt to get more skydivers to visit Perris so that their new wind tunnel would flourish.

Pat Conatser is the “Ross Perot” of the skydiving industry. My guess is that he never had any real intention of ever having the plane fly skydive loads. He knew it would take years of red tape to even get the FAA to consider the DC-9 as a jump plane.

Pat Conatser probably never thought that a slackened maintenance cycle would ever get approval for such a sophisticated and complex aircraft.

When the news leaked that the aircraft’s speculative new maintenance cycle got approved, Pat realized that the fancy new paint job wouldn’t be enough keep the locals interested in the plane. Now these damn skydivers actually want to fly it, and jump out of it!

Maybe Pat should have used all that money to cut skydivers a break on jump tickets? That’s just my opinion.

this is the first time i've read this forum and lucky me, i have the opportunity to read this type of inane drivel.

i've known pat for ~ 20 years and have had extensive converations with him over the years on many subjects including the jet.

trust me, untamed dog has his head deeply up a deep brown canyon on this particular subject.

It would be interesting to see how things went if UT wouldespouse his theories to Pat face-to-face.

UT, if you are not happy with the policies at perris, please feel free to not return.
why go someplace that you don't like?

be safe

kleggo

I have a humble suggestion for you... Why don't you go to Elsinore... I hear the bathrooms there are very nice indeed.

Nope, they are gross as well. I’m not saying they are unusable, but with all the money we are spending, why can’t they at least take a hint from Cal City?