scottjaco

DC-9 Jet at Perris

They are doing what is needed to takeoff and land a DC-9.***

According to whose criteria?

the laws of physics? they probably don't want it sinking into the runway again :P

Smartass! That was cool to watch though :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

the laws of physics? they probably don't want it sinking into the runway again :P

So did it sink in parked on a hot summer day, or did it make rutts as it landed?:P Please do tell.... I have seen it parked out there and can't wait.

So did it sink in parked on a hot summer day, or did it make rutts as it landed?:P Please do tell.... I have seen it parked out there and can't wait.

It definately wasn't on landing! :P They started her up one afternoon while i was out there and rolled her halfway up the runway, then tried to turn her around and that's when she began to sink. It was pretty cool watching the Shark come in to land over the top of her though!

As for why they started her up, i have no idea, at a guess i'd say it was kind of like starting up a car that's standing in your garage from time to time. Maybe someone with more info would care to comment.

As for why they started her up, i have no idea, at a guess i'd say it was kind of like starting up a car that's standing in your garage from time to time. Maybe someone with more info would care to comment.

They do start it up from time to time for tests and adjustments.

The time it sunk in was for taxi tests.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Some people do. It will be sutible for the task. ***

That's good to see. I really hope they can get this done. I was among the many irate skydivers at the 2000 WFFC who had to get their money back when the 727 we were assured would show never did.

I'm simply curious about the runway because I would imagine that it will cost more than the jet itself. My hat's off to the Conatser's for working so hard to pull this off.

One other thing, though. Is there any talk about how they'll handle jump operations when that thing is taking off or landing? I don't think it would be much fun heading for the main landing area after that thing just went by.

They do start it up from time to time for tests and adjustments.

The time it sunk in was for taxi tests.

Thanks JP ;)

Is there any talk about how they'll handle jump operations when that thing is taking off or landing? I don't think it would be much fun heading for the main landing area after that thing just went by.

With the number of people that the jet will be able to fly, I am doubting there will be anyone else to BE on another load.:P

Is there any new information about this plane?

My opinion is that this plane will probably never be used for skydiving.

The whole thing was likely a publicity stunt to get more skydivers to visit Perris so that their new wind tunnel would flourish.

Pat Conatser is the “Ross Perot” of the skydiving industry. My guess is that he never had any real intention of ever having the plane fly skydive loads. He knew it would take years of red tape to even get the FAA to consider the DC-9 as a jump plane.

Long story short…… To fly this plane, you have to turn the skydiving operation at Perris into a true airline like United or JetBlue. It sounds crazy but it’s the easiest way to make this type of skydiving a reality.

Pat Conatser probably never thought that a slackened maintenance cycle would ever get approval for such a sophisticated and complex aircraft.

When the news leaked that the aircraft’s speculative new maintenance cycle got approved, Pat realized that the fancy new paint job wouldn’t be enough keep the locals interested in the plane. Now these damn skydivers actually want to fly it, and jump out of it!

I think the DC-9 will eventually pull a disappearing act. One day we’re going to show up and the plane just won’t be there.

The official word will be something along the lines of "ohh shit! someone must have left the keys in the ignition" Do they sell Lo Jack systems for aircraft?

Maybe Pat should have used all that money to cut skydivers a break on jump tickets? That’s just my opinion.

The rumor that I heard was that the Conatsers planned to use their DC-9 for military high altitude parachuting (HALO and HAHO) training contracts.
When you consider that most turbo-prop Twin Otters, Sky Vans, CASAs, etc. get sluggish above 20,000 feet, a jet that will easily climb to 25,000 or 35,000 starts to make sense.

Is there any new information about this plane?

My opinion is that this plane will probably never be used for skydiving.

The whole thing was likely a publicity stunt to get more skydivers to visit Perris so that their new wind tunnel would flourish.

Pat Conatser is the “Ross Perot” of the skydiving industry. My guess is that he never had any real intention of ever having the plane fly skydive loads. He knew it would take years of red tape to even get the FAA to consider the DC-9 as a jump plane.

Long story short…… To fly this plane, you have to turn the skydiving operation at Perris into a true airline like United or JetBlue. It sounds crazy but it’s the easiest way to make this type of skydiving a reality.

Pat Conatser probably never thought that a slackened maintenance cycle would ever get approval for such a sophisticated and complex aircraft.

When the news leaked that the aircraft’s speculative new maintenance cycle got approved, Pat realized that the fancy new paint job wouldn’t be enough keep the locals interested in the plane. Now these damn skydivers actually want to fly it, and jump out of it!

I think the DC-9 will eventually pull a disappearing act. One day we’re going to show up and the plane just won’t be there.

The official word will be something along the lines of "ohh shit! someone must have left the keys in the ignition" Do they sell Lo Jack systems for aircraft?

Maybe Pat should have used all that money to cut skydivers a break on jump tickets? That’s just my opinion.

I think you don't know Pat very well and I also think your opinion is wrong.:P Look for the jet to fly jumpers.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Kbone?

I'd ask what your beef is, but I really don't care.

For what it's worth, the jet is schedualed to take off today, and head out for trial flights. If the weather cooperates. They're gonna put all that expensive sim time to work.

Now I'm tempted to vacation just to go to Perris (and see LA too while I am at it). It won't be until I've got plenty of jumps though, a couple years down the road.

Repaving the runway, taxi tests, simulator time, test flights, etc. They seem rather serious on eventually flying the jet.

I don't think they'd fly the thing often, maybe a couple times per weekend at the most, but it would be such a novelty to try a jet jump! And they'll start having some really big boogies, because of all the Perris attractions...

With the Perris upgrades and spinoffs caused by the jet, they'd also attract hosting of world record attempts (even not using the jet) as well as big events such as WFFC, etc. So even if they don't fly the thing often, they'll benefit in other ways...

Maybe I'll be there 2007 with some locals... B| I know that I'll start involving dropzones during my vacation travels at some point...

Maybe they got the DC9 because they wanted to bring more stuff with them when they travelled to big boogies. An Otter just doesn't hold enough for a couple weeks on the road. ;)
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The DC-9 took off today and it was an awesome sight! Then they turned her around and did a fly-by right down the runway in front of us all! :)
Her next flights will be out of an airport just right down the road from where I live, so I can go visit her often. Flight tests with the door removed are just one of the many flights she'll have coming up next. B|

Ben and Pat are two very dedicated and hard working men. They've worked with all the agencies very well and have come out on top. They don't take "no" for an answer. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

And the neighbors were upset over the rest of the fleet... Wonder what they think of this? And from what I understand, all the new neighbors have to sign waivers stating that they know the airport is there and can't do anything about it. Good job Benny! Gotta keep those wuffos in check...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."