scottjaco

DC-9 Jet at Perris

OK, the runway shouldn't be too hard to extend.....

Now I'm hearing that they haven't bought it yet?
Are you sure? Everyone says they bought it like 8 months ago!

Now they need new engines? that sounds like another big setback! Why would you buy a plane that needed new engines? You wouldn't buy a used car that needed a new engine? (unless it's a classic) could someone who knows planes explain the pros/cons of this purchase?

Ben use to be an mechanic who worked on DC-9, therefore fixing it yourself is cheaper and a plane with out engines is much cheaper! The runway is just long enough to get it off the ground, hence the reason the trees right at the north end of the runway were cut down:|. I believe they've put off the DC9 project for a little while cause of Jill's little wind machine in the parking lot.

Ben and I think even more so Pat have always wanted a DC-9 and they will have one. Don't expect this thing to fly all the time that is for sure. I imagine it will give more then a few rides when it is first up and running. Then more then likely do the boggie circut. Last word I got was it was a done deal, just gotta get it and the new engines here. They even put pictures of it up and announced the purchase on the DZ loud speaker last weekend! So unless something happened between now and then, it seems to be a done deal! YAhoo!
Dom

Phree the reason that the beech and the DC-3 didn't get a bunch of loads was that the price was higher for those two craft by 8 dollars.

Kirlin had to make x dollars per load above the aircraft cost. Once he agreed to lower the price to the same as any other aircraft interest increased but not enough people knew this.

remember that the arizona and carolina boyz are cruzin tent city with pretty girls in big carts as taxis and have greeters yelling 2 minutes for the next load on the PA, regardless if that was really true ( sometimes that was a ten minute 2 minutes ). They had tents, couches and water standing by.

The pilots flying the polished craft had NONE of this. Kirlin just had to promiss all these craft were available at his event , and he did, once you got there getting business was up to you.

A brake came to the douglas and beech when some of the load organisers had the offer of their own planes for their 30- ways and such.

I personaly can't see the dollars and cents behind the DC-9 but the canasters are not fools, somewhere somehow there is money to be made. Whether its at the boogies on all three continents or big way camps from higher altitude on a monthly basis. Maybe even in doing some "movie work" I dunno.

Now if we could just talk someone into leaseing a C-17! Its tailgate is bigger than the C-130, it can fly slower and from what my friends on the inside are telling me it would hold All of the people that have wingsuits on its ramp. Major freakin tight flock!

C-17 would be very expensive to run and their exit speed is still quite high.

If I was looking for a craft that can take a large number of jumpers, has a ramp, low exit speed and (assumed) affordable(?) running cost, I would try to get my hands on one of the larger Russian (MIL) helicopters. Tried one of these (MI-17) 10 years or so ago in Europe - absolutely awsome experience....
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

If I was looking for a craft that can take a large number of jumpers, has a ramp, low exit speed and (assumed) affordable(?) running cost, I would try to get my hands on one of the larger Russian (MIL) helicopters. Tried one of these (MI-17) 10 years or so ago in Europe - absolutely awsome experience....

Nah.....DHC-5 Buffalo. That's the ticket boys.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I think it was an AN-72 they had at the Espace Boogie in Vichy, 2000. Unbelievable short field performance, monster tailgate, CASA-type jumprun speeds.

I don't think they had it at the Lapalisse Espace Boogies, but I highly recommend checking it out if you come across one on the circuit.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I think it was an AN-72 they had at the Espace Boogie in Vichy, 2000. Unbelievable short field performance, monster tailgate, CASA-type jumprun speeds.

I don't think they had it at the Lapalisse Espace Boogies, but I highly recommend checking it out if you come across one on the circuit.

Yep. in 2000 (were you there too?), and this year they had the AN 72.

And you'Re also right on the Lapalisse boogie. They've been alternating bewteen Lapalisse and Vichy (2 Twin Otters and 2 Sky Vans for Lapalisse and the AN72 at Vichy) now for a couple of years, and it looks like Vichy will be a once every 2 year event, alternating with the Sweden Herc Boogie. We're keeping 1 or 2 weeks holiday asside for 2005 :)
Remster

any particular reason why perris is only 12.5? is it an airpace thing, or what? all the other big turbine DZs i've been to are 13.5 standard, and usualy a bit more..

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I've bitched and moaned about that to the DZ owner at Perris.

It's because of the Otario Airport and Airforce Base that are close by. Once in a blue moon, we will get 13.5K.

I figure 12.5 is the standard but I'm hoping Air Adventures West opens again so we can fly the King Air to 14K!

scott

Anyone remember the price on the AN72 jumps? I know the Herc Boogie jumps are cheaper since the goverment has a deal to lease them the plane or something. I know the 727 jumps were what... 50+ a few years ago.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Last September I was on my way home from Perris (Deaf World Record). I flew on American Airlines from Ontario, CA and to my surprise AA actually flew over Perris DZ - I recognised the DZ, swooping pond, a huge grey circle of landing zone, a strip of grass - landing zone, roads and landmarks such as the wind tunnel very well. I reckon we were at an altitude of about 15,000 feet. It was just 10 minutes flight away from Ontario. Maybe that's why Perris can't go any higher than 12,500 feet.

Anyone remember the price on the AN72 jumps? I

From my UK connections, they remember the tickets to be about 23 Euro this year. Its more expensive then US prices, but on par with most European prices (subsidized jumps excluded of course: Herc tickets are about 19 Euro).

You also pay an extra 3.5 Euro if jump with an organiser for his slot and video.

Also, the AN72 may be back next year, not just in 2 years. Good news, though I'm not sure its wise to go head tohead with the Herc Boogie...
Remster

Is there any new information about this plane?

The latest, as of today....March 18, 2005!

"A major milestone has been achieved in getting ready to fly the first load on the DC-9.  This week the FAA approved our maintenance program putting us well on the way to becoming the first DZ in the world with a jet to skydive from.  Now don’t go bugging Dan at the manifest window to get your slot on Jet Load 1.  We still need to get approval to fly with the rear door off and drop jumpers.  However we haven’t been able to even start that process until the feds signed off on the maintenance plan.  When asked about when we could expect to fly the first load Pat
Conatser answered with a definitive “hell, I don’t know.  But now that we have a plane we can fly we are a lot closer than we were last week”.  Stay tuned…" :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Well 1st off, you better have one Large storage room for all that 1st beer (not many folks have jumped out of a Jet) how many cases of 1st :D will fit into the DC9?

Also hope it is cleared for the memorial day boogie, cause i am there!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Question 145:
If a can of beer is to an otter, then a _____ of beer is to a DC9. :D

a) Case
b) Keg
c) Delivery truck
d) Warehouse

This is coming from someone who got a 3.5 GPA in high school but so flunked my SATs that I needed a "waiver" to get into college, but I choose answer "B" - Keg.:P

Question 145:

a) Case
b) Keg
c) Delivery truck
d) Warehouse

This is coming from someone who got a 3.5 GPA in high school but so flunked my SATs that I needed a "waiver" to get into college, but I choose answer "B" - Keg.:P

It would be "C" I believe.

This is coming from someone with a 2.4 GPA his Senior year in HS (lotsa beer), and 15 years later (now) pulled a 3.53 his first semester in College. (with even more beer) :D
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Everyone wonders how much it will be to get the jet flying. That is the cheap part.

I don't think asphalt can hold up to that weight. Building that concrete runway will cost WAY more than the plane, engines, retrofitting etc.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Question 145:

a) Case
b) Keg
c) Delivery truck
d) Warehouse

I thought it was "a case of beer was to an Otter....":)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Everyone wonders how much it will be to get the jet flying. That is the cheap part.

I don't think asphalt can hold up to that weight. Building that concrete runway will cost WAY more than the plane, engines, retrofitting etc.

They got it in there. Any I have $20.00 ssys they can get it out.:P;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals