GoRdOn8619

What age did you start skydiving?

20 when I started, 50 now. 13 years not jumping in the middle of that.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I made the decision when I was 13, when I talked to a then-AFF student that I randomly met through a family friend. I decided that on my 18th birthday, I would make my first skydive.

My 18th b-day rolled around, and after looking out my window and seeing two feet of snow (Dec 1, cleveland, ohio) I figured that I might have to wait a month or two. Once the snow melted I called the nearest DZ and tried to sign up for their first static line class of the year. It kept getting delayed, and I called them every week until I eventually talked them into running a class. My first class had a total of two people in it. That was April 3, '04. I'm now 19 w/ 180 jumps.

Fly Free!
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Lets see, I was 6 when I saw the Shooting Stars (now defunct Navy parachute team) at an airshow and was hooked. Read everything through school about skydiving and then entered the "real" world.

In early 1973 decided to try it but ran into a roadblock. I was 20, but the legal age in Florida was 21 and my parents were "not about to sign a release to jump out of a perfectly good airplane."

So, I watched my older brother jump for nearly 6 months until the Florida Government screwed my parents by lowering the legal age to 18 on July 1st, 1973. I made my first static line jump at Z-Hills that day. I already had my riggers license (had to do something besides just watch all those months), so packed T-10 static line rigs for jump money and moved to the dropzone for a couple of years.

I'm now 52 and haven't jumped in 25 years but am entertaining the idea of re-entering the sport at least for a while.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519