regulator

How many jumps did you have before you started jumping your own pack jobs?

John just let it be known that Andy has some personal issues he's sorting out. Its not his fault he was born a jackass that cant take any criticism but can dish it out all day long. There is no reasoning with the unreasonable. Besides Andy should know its hard to see when your head is shoved up your ass.

:D:D:D Glad someone else noticed!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Everybody grow the fuck up. Grow some thicker skin while you're at it. If something wasn't originally addressed to you, it probably wasn't meant for you.

Wendy W.

So you are talking to wonder boy Andy? My skin is plenty thick enought to deal with a jack ass! And i dont act like a fucking kid that cant deal with being wrong!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Everybody grow the fuck up. Grow some thicker skin while you're at it. If something wasn't originally addressed to you, it probably wasn't meant for you.

Wendy W.

So you are talking to wonder boy Andy? My skin is plenty thick enought to deal with a jack ass! And i dont act like a fucking kid that cant deal with being wrong!

Where's the love? Ganging up on one poster is so....high school. We can make our own conclusions about their posts.

WMW: Excuse me for saying this :( but your hot when you cuss. :P

I will never pack for someone who is A licensed and just lazy. I will help to the best of my ability. But I keep seeing more and more people who are either

just happy to be ignorant and not bothered with knowing about their gear
OR
are terrified of their packing and use that as an excuse to keep using packers.

A little while ago there were a few people who said they were going to buy some junk canopies/containers so they can practice packing throughout the off-season. Personally, that sounded a bit nuts to me.

Packing is not about repeated monkey-like movements, it's about visualizing how you want your canopy to be folded, and doing so. If you hang the canopy up in a rack, and take a bit of time to explain it to the person, they will either quit the sport (probably a good choice if they are that dumb), or will realize what they are trying to accomplish over the shoulder, and get much better at it.

just one persons opinion....

No, I don't use packers. And it was sometime in my AFF training when I started packing for myself. Let's call it jump #13 just for fun.

I almost always pack my own rig...the only exception is if we are at a boogie and doing over 6 jumps a day --- then i get a little tired and use extra help.... my opinion is packing allows you to get to know your canopy and develop a system of things to look for. but take that with a grain of salt - i am by means an instructor and my jump numbers are low --- it is merely how i feel about my canopy. i have had a couple of bad openings using packers....but i have also done it to myself. And i am neurotic enough that is if i don't like how it packed....it comes out again and i start all over :S:S:S

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

So I'm getting my own rig (its being shipped to me soon) and I was wondering if any of you remember what your jump numbers were before you started jumping your own pack jobs. I plan on jumping my own pack jobs between 25 to 50 jumps.

ONE....

and my first cutaway was on my fifth jump due to my packing excellence

sure, of course its wise to know how to pack, even for those who choose to use a packer regularly. the reality is of course that some people just don't want to pack and don't know how. not recommended.

but, i tell new skydivers (and sometimes for experienced) who don't really know how to pack (or sorta know how but can't really complete the job) they should know how to pack (even if they always use a packer) for two reasons:

1) safety/gear knowledge of how the system works, etc..etc..(the obvious important issue about knowing how to pack (a general overview is better than nothing)

2) and sooner or later, you are going to land off the dz, way off the dz (not near a road). and assuming you are with a few other skydivers, they will most likely pack up their gear there so they don't have to lug the unpacked rig around on a hike (use a shoelace if there is no pull up cord). and you'll be the jackass that is carrying the unopened parachute around as your arm/shoulder go numb and your ego is bruised. (esp if you let the 'not knowing how to pack' issue go in the hundreds (or thousands) of jumps. that can't be a flattered moment.

**no reason to get into a pissing match 'not knowing how to pack' = 'poor freefall/canopy skills'.
its just kinda pathetic.

**edited for spelling :-)

I planned on packing three or four thousand times before ever jumping my own packjob.

That's funny, I approached it from the other side - there's plenty of stuff that jumped but would have repacked if I was packing for someone else :D

I sat horrified on the ground as the plane climbed to altitude. I held my breath as each canopy opened. Where the hell was my friend?

Been there done that. My f.. pre-second unsupervised packjob was when I was only a few months into the sport. It was also the f... pre-second time I'd ever seen a seven cell and no sooner had I pulled the container closed or a fellow student grabs it (as indicated by the I on duty) and proceeds to board the plane.

:DI only resumed breathing as she opened.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I am not sure what the guidelines are, but we had to jump our own pack job to get our a license. That is what I have seen everywhere I have been and I agree with it. I read more on this post and once you get your rig take it in your basement and try to do a few pack jobs a night. Buy an instructional if you have to or buy someone some beer to come watch and correct you while you pack.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Maybe I'm just old ....

I'd packed several hundred packjobs prior to my first jump.

I packed all the rigs for the first jump load's rigs on my first jump - and then did same for every load I was on for some time. For those who continued, by the time most of them had done 10 or 15 jumps, I'd taught them how to pack.

Over all of that time I had to squeeze all those pack jobs in between my home work responsibilities, as I was still a school kid.

But that was back in the days when parachutes were made of wood and aircraft were steam driven.

fergs

I started packing the main canopy from the second jump but with supervision and assistance. It didn't take long after that to pack on my own, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared of my own pack jobs for awhile. Pretty soon you realize that this thing can't wait to open and your confidence in your gear grows and the fear disappears.

~ 1 ~

We packed our our S/L parachutes as part of the 1st jump course.

I've packed all but about 5 that I've jumped since then....not counting Tandems.

Me too. I packed at least 50 times during FJC (it lasted 3 months, eastern-block-military style and I started on rounds...) Until now, I think I jumped only a couple of jumps where I didn`t pack for myself.
Packing is good for keeping in shape and not becoming a sissy. Plus you can make some extra cash to spend on drinks after jumps.
dudeist skydiver #42

Packing is good for keeping in shape and not becoming a sissy. Plus you can make some extra cash to spend on drinks after jumps.

Hi Mircan

Agreed Packing is good for keeping in shape. The problem for some people with OLD is tt's not the best way to get back into shape.

For some people being a sissy and out of shape was earned over a long period of hard work of drinking, smoking overeating, and other forms of self abuse. Not the best for skydiving but there is a life outside the DZ.

In hindsight take care of your body, its the only one you got and you may have it longer than you expected to.B|
One Jump Wonder

and once again here we go: not having any confidence in your own packjob (in spite of havin an a-license) or not knowing to pack with 25 jumps is so united states :|

:P[:/]B|etc

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666