regulator

How many jumps did you have before you started jumping your own pack jobs?

The only reason my 2nd jump wasn't my own packjob was because I was so chockful of adrenaline I had trouble packing after my first jump, after that, mostly packed my own, until I bought a new spectre in a smallish rig @ 75 jumps and had so many trouble packing that thing I ended up using packers a lot. So, my 3rd jump ever was my first jumped packjob. My 4rd and 5th jumps were tandems but after that I packed my own student canopies again after my jumps.

Why not jump your own packjobs now? Why wait at all? A few smaller clubs i know even make you pack your first canopy, a good idea in my book (although it takes a lot of time, something not every DZ may want to spend at that time).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm just not confident enough that I remember everything from my packing class a year ago for my A License. I plan on doubling (if not more) the amount of jumps I have already (since I've got my own gear now and not renting). But I want to be very sure of my abilities before I start jumping my own pack jobs.

About 5, maybe 6.

I'm just not confident enough that I remember everything from my packing class a year ago for my A License. I plan on doubling (if not more) the amount of jumps I have already

How is doing more jumps connected to remembering how to pack? Just get someone to watch you pack your canopy next time you're at the DZ and go jump it. There really is very little you can do to screw up a packjob - you'll be fine.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Jumping isn't going to help you learn to pack, packing is :P Attend another packing class, ask a packer or upjumper to stay with you and help/supervise you packing on a not-so-busy day, or just start packing after you jump and ask someone(s) to check your every step a few times, it's not rocket science, you'll get it ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I had a step through (made by a packer) a year ago and it made me nervous regarding jumping my own packjobs. I didnt want that to happen again and I just want to be sure I get it right the first time and never look back.

All the more reason to jump your own pack jobs. If a packer gave you a step through wouldn't you want to make sure that doesn't happen again. Ask around. I guarantee you'll find at least one person willing to help you in learning/getting more comfortable with your packing. Packing really is that hard ;)

I had a step through (made by a packer) a year ago and it made me nervous regarding jumping my own packjobs.

It seems like that would make you nervous about using packers. Don't you think that knowing you will be the one to deal with the results will make you less likely to make that mistake ?

If you go through a few packjobs with someone watching, you should be good to go.

But if you're only looking for excuses to get out of packing, you'll just keep finding new ones.;)

Kevin K.

I'm not saying in the least I dont want to pack myself I just want to make damn sure I do it right so it opens and once that first jump on my own pack job is complete then I will feel better about the situation and start saving myself $$$ from paying a packer. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. Besides thats why I bought a used main with 170 jumps on it so it will be easier to pack instead of a new canopy.

I started learning to pack after my first static line jump. I was able to pack on my own by the 5th jump. I've only used a packer for a couple of handfuls of jumps ever since, and only when I was co-organizing deaf world record events.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm not saying in the least I dont want to pack myself I just want to make damn sure I do it right so it opens and once that first jump on my own pack job is complete then I will feel better about the situation and start saving myself $$$ from paying a packer. I just want to be sure I'm doing it right.

OK, cool, we got that. But how will doing more jumps before you pack your own rig help you pack your own rig properly? Jumping more will help your jumping skills, but only packing will help your packing skills!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

When my new container and reserve arrives I will get plenty of practice. I hate being the douche that still uses packers, but at least I'm not out being a dumbass buying a 120 square foot canopy with my A license. I thought for some being a little cautious was a good thing. Besides the money I will save from paying the packers could end up being another jump ticket later in the afternoon. I know most of the worries will go away once I get that first jump on my own packjob.

You needed whole lot lower numbers in the poll!>:(

Your late and your chicken.:P

GET OVER IT!

There WASN'T anybody else to pack for us for most of the history of skydiving. At least not once you weren't a student anymore.

Jumping you're own pack job for the first time is almost as scary as your first jump. It's never going to get any better. Keep the lines tight, keep the gromments up and keep the steering lines in back. It'll work.B| Oh and cock your pilot chute.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

~ 1 ~

We packed our our S/L parachutes as part of the 1st jump course.

I've packed all but about 5 that I've jumped since then....not counting Tandems.

Great... NOW I feel OLD... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

1. There are LOTS of resources out there to help you learn to pack. There are several videos / CDs out for you to buy and review.

2. If you want a crutch... buy an Aerodyne Pilot canopy.... they have color coded line attachments. [:/]

3. Clearly, you are not buying enough beer. Don't underestimate the power of beer. :D Next Saturday night... hang out and distribute beer ... let folks know that you aren't comfortable with your packing. On Sunday, I bet you have no trouble getting someone to look over your shoulder.

4. Honestly... have you taken a good look at some of the packers? Some of them are pretty scary aren't they? If they can do it.... certainly YOU can do it. :|

5. Watch folks pack and ask lots of questions (see comment about beer above). [Besides, some female butts look the best when packing.)

6. Ask around for someone to point you to the guy who psycho packs. Watch. If that mess opens... how hard can this be? (I am that guy.)B|

7. At home pack your rig every evening for a month. Presto… 30 pack jobs!

8. Slider up, lines in the middle, good locking stows.... get on the damned airplane.:P

9. What could possibly go wrong?:o

10. Pack fast... pull high.;)

11. Smile, Breathe, Relax :)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I see you're at Spaceland. If you need some practice packing, I'll let you pack mine. If you can get it in the bag and close the container (and I'm sure you can), I'll go jump it. Then you'll know the pack jobs work just fine!;)

Seriously, I don't think we've met yet. Find me at the DZ. I will MOST CERTAINLY help you.

Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.