lauril

Funniest whuffo question

this one was actually kinda cute. Our club did a demo into a school football game and after one of the jumpers landed a couple questions were asked. We'll never forget the little girl though who asked Tim, "Is it hot up there by the sun?"

so yes it was a whuffo question, but coming from a little girl it was cute instead of funny

As a guy and a rigger, you should see the looks I get when I go into the local fabric stores. I got the "I bet you're gay" attitude from a mover one time when he unloaded my sewing machine.

I'm just glad that some of those people don't show up at my DZ.
Packin' Jack
42nd Lost Prairie: The Ultimate Answer to Life, the Universe, and Skydiving
25 Jul - 3 Aug 2009
2007 photos: http://www.skydive.com/prairie/pages/prairie.htm

As a guy and a rigger, you should see the looks I get when I go into the local fabric stores. I got the "I bet you're gay" attitude from a mover one time when he unloaded my sewing machine.

I'm just glad that some of those people don't show up at my DZ.

I grew up sewing. My mother owned and operated an upholstery shop where I worked as a kid and have since spent some time working in a saddle shop. You should see the looks on people’s faces when my wife, who learned to sew after we were married, asks me sewing questions. Better yet is their expression when I answer the questions. I just think it is cool to be in the skydiving community where my sewing skills are considered cool

When I was talking to my brother after my cutaway at Eloy, he asked "So did you have to replace the lines, or are they just shorter now?" "Dude... what?" "After having to cut them away, can they be reused, or do you need new ones?"

:D:D
cavete terrae.

is it just me or are some of these questions not actually that stupid? for someone who knows nothing about skydiving questions like 'is swimming for forward movement' and 'do you strap a snowboard to your feet' among others are pretty reasonable assumptions for a whuffo (whats the origin of this word by the way? hear it alot and dont know where it comes from). as far as grips on suits, i can easily imagine why people would think they were for stability

as far as grips on suits, i can easily imagine why people would think they were for stability

first day I went to a DZ (for my 1st tandem) I thought they were aerodynamic appendixes. :|

Now I know they are breathing aids :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Probably been said before:
But a tandem master was asked
"Whats that handle for"
"Thats for cutting away the main canopy"
"And whats that one for"
"Thats for cutting the student away."

Normally shuts them up.

Also for cocky tandem students, Ive heard one TM scare the shit out the student by telling him he's going to disconnect him completly under canopy. Gets them to stand on his feet, undoes lower clips as normal, makes noises like hes undoing the top ones, telling the student they're not connected to anything anymore, then quickly moving their feet. Again, shuts people up.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Probably been said before:
But a tandem master was asked
"Whats that handle for"
"Thats for cutting away the main canopy"
"And whats that one for"
"Thats for cutting the student away."

Normally shuts them up.

Also for cocky tandem students, Ive heard one TM scare the shit out the student by telling him he's going to disconnect him completly under canopy. Gets them to stand on his feet, undoes lower clips as normal, makes noises like hes undoing the top ones, telling the student they're not connected to anything anymore, then quickly moving their feet. Again, shuts people up.

I donno. Tandem student is a student and a customer in one. I have not heard these kind of things before.

i can easily imagine why people would think they were for stability

Yeah, some of the questions here aren't really that dumb, most of the ones about cutting away and jumpsuits and stuff just come from ignorance rather than stupidity.

Still, I'll never forget the tandem student on flightline who looked at my RW suit and asked if the grippers unfurled and turned into wings in the air:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

My first tandem:

Me: "What happens if the main parachute malfunctions?"
TM: "I pull this handle, then this one, and the reserve parachute deploys"
Me: "And what hapens if the reserve malfunctions?"
TN: "Then whilst in freefall, we locate the DZ, specifically the riggers car, and aim for that"

:D

not really a whuffo story, but when i had like 20 jumps i was packing my first canopy with cross ports, it was one of the dropzones rental rigs and i got all freaked out about a hole being in the canopy, i quickly found the dzo and asked him about this tear in the canopy, he just laughed at me and walked off, i stood there kinda frozen till someone else told me what i was looking at.

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

I was hanging around the hanger after doing 2 of my jumps to get my a license and heard a guy ask my instructor what do you do when you jump out of the plane and hit a cloud, and my instructor with a straight face said to him we just run as fast as we can and jump off the other side and the guy said oh I guess that makes sense and walked away. I was just standing there with total amazement that they could believe such an answer.
STEP OUT AND FEEL THE RUSH!!!! LATER
SKYBOMB

not really a whuffo story, but when i had like 20 jumps i was packing my first canopy with cross ports, it was one of the dropzones rental rigs and i got all freaked out about a hole being in the canopy, i quickly found the dzo and asked him about this tear in the canopy, he just laughed at me and walked off, i stood there kinda frozen till someone else told me what i was looking at.

Hey, I remember that! B|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

No, I don't think a lot of these questions are stupid, just uninformed. Remember that for most people, jumping is unnatural. To them, our playground is an alien environment.

Take for example the "cutaway" question. When I'm briefing my tandem students, I don't use the word "cutaway" until after I explain it. Then they have no images of me hacking away at our suspension lines.

I like the wuffo questions! It gives me a chance to explain our sport to someone who is at least curious and might even turn into a jumper (it has happened a couple of times.)

This is second hand from a friend.

When one of his co-workers found out he was a skydiver she asked him what kind of plane he owned.

He explained that he didn't own a plane and she got really confused looking and asked him how he could skydive if he didn't own a plane. :D

He had to explain that skydivers don't actually fly the planes themselves....
Owned by Remi #?

Isaiah from PD was at our DZ for a small boogie we held last fall. I told a bunch of people there who were there to watch someone do a tandem that they might want to watch Isaiah land. A girl next to me asked what would be different about it; I said it would be obvious. Isaiah initiated his turn directly above everyone on the ramp, and as he’s spiraling down right at us, the girl that had asked what would be different, described his approach as “JEASUS CHRIST, HOLEY SHIT!!!”
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Take for example the "cutaway" question. When I'm briefing my tandem students, I don't use the word "cutaway" until after I explain it. Then they have no images of me hacking away at our suspension lines.

You should show them the Team Xaos DVD with the Cutaway Game :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM