lauril

Funniest whuffo question

The one that sticks in my mind came after talking to a whuffo on a train and explaining that we do actually have some control in freefall, can track, adjust fall rate yadda yadda - With a hugely disbelieving attitude she said
" Well Why do you have a parachute then?"

I explained it was kinda useful for slowing down before landing..

Genie

Not a question, but did you ever run into these people that always knew someone that does it? I've heard some off the wall shit, like: "My friend did it 10 times and is like an instructor now" Sure okay!

Nope but the amount of people - taxi drivers in paricular - who *know* someone whos parachute didnt open and they were fine! In one case apparenyly because it was a demo jump and they guy was wearing a gorilla suit - and wait for this - the fur slowed him down enough so he was fine!
Riiigghhhttt...
Genie

I believe that everyone knows someone who had either a cousin or a friend whose "chute didn't open." This is based on years and years of scientific research involving beer and conversations in stores ;)

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For months my mother thought that the reserve was just a backup ripcord in case the first one broke. She was actually quite relieved when she found out I'd been jumping with 2 canopies.

And here's one from half an hour ago. Co-worker said that skydiving sounded fun but he was worried about the risks... he then described the worst case scenario:
Him: "So much could go wrong, you know? I just don't want to break and ankle."
Me: "Some things are worse than death, didn't know walking with a limp was one of them."

Sorta neat though, most people think the sport is more dangerous than it is.

Please O please tell me that was a troll line.

You can underestimate the danger of many, many things but if you underestimate the dangers involved in skydiving just once...well...I'll try and make it for the ash dive.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

An AFF instructor demonstrates on a table how the main canopy is ejected from the pack.

Instructor : "So you pull this handle and.........."
(The canopy pops out)
Student : Wow. Cool .
The Instructor starts to spread the canopy out to continue the demonstration.
Student : "You won't be able to use that canopy anymore now will you ?"
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

I agree with that statement. Yes, having a planet coming towards you at 120+ mph is dangerous, but it's a safer sport than what 99.9% of whuffos think it is.

And it's more dangerous that a good chunk of the newbies think it is.
It's your life, live it!

I'd rather have it that newbies think this sport is really dangerous - they're not going to have any false senses of security then.

Thank you! You got my point, even if you don't realize it!

Implies, by a skydiver, that the sport isn't as dangerous as most people think it is. I feel it's just the opposite. The sport is more dangerous that most whuffos and many skydivers think it is.
It's your life, live it!

Implies, by a skydiver, that the sport isn't as dangerous as most people think it is. I feel it's just the opposite. The sport is more dangerous that most whuffos and many skydivers think it is.

Not sure about that. Most of the whuffos I've talked to about it are completely in awe that you can make more than a few jumps. They assume you'd be dead after a couple. Newbies may be different. If they thought it was that dangerous they probably wouldn't try it. But they're not a fair representation of whuffodum.

Everybody I speak to about it thinks it's fucking crazy to even consider it, and are really surprised to hear I have "only" 125 jumps. At a recent job interview, they asked what I did at weekends, and when I told them their instant response was "wow !! you don't look crazy" :D

It's all in the representation. I'm sure I've scared away more than I've brought to this sport. How? By being honest. A good friend of mine repeated over and over how he wanted to jump, since I had soooo much fun doing it.

I sat him down and had a good, long talk. I basically told him the ins and outs of the sport, and made sure I stressed to him the fact that you can do everything right and still die. He countered that with the AAD arguement (he lurks here, and reads alot on the sport). I prctically had to beat it into his skull that having an automatic opener on your reserve at best might save your life (if it works at all) and at worst (when it works) might allow your family to have an open casket funeral.

When he finally understood that there was no way he could be sure it was safe, he decided that watching me from the ground was plenty good for him.

How many people are that bluntly honest with newbies, students, whuffos, ect? Not many that I've seen. Sure, the DZO's put the blurb about dying in the training and on the waiver, but how many take the time to make sure the student/whuffo fully understands?
It's your life, live it!

Good point. When I first started I tried talking everyone I know into doing it. After seeing first hand some of the unfortunate results, when someone tells me they want to make a jump, the first thing I do is explain all the ways they can die or be maimed. The last thing I want is to have been the person to talk someone into jumping that had never considered it, and then have them hurt themselves or worse.

I think it can be both- even at the same time!

Sometimes non-skydivers I have talked to think skydiving is dangerous in ways that it is pretty safe, and on the other hand can´t see some of the biggest risks.
Therefore it can be a challenge to answer some whuffo questions about safety without giving the curious person totally wrong picture of the sport.

I think that most people realize the risks they are taking before they make their first jump.

in my case that was second jump first one was fine i didn't understand damn thing :D
pojo
In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please O please tell me that was a troll line.

Oops. Horrible wording on my part. Lemme try again. I just thought it was interesting to see that someone underestimated the danger rather than overestimating, which is what every whuffo I've ever met does.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

I also tried talking some people into coming for a jump. Once they were in the plane I just hoped that everything went alright so I wouldn't be responsible for talking them into this(even if the final decision is their own).

Yep, that's better. You have moved it over to the perceptions of others, instead of it looking like you think it isn't that dangerous. Yep, lots better.
It's your life, live it!

Don't get me wrong, I still tell people the only way to explain what it's like to skydive is to do it, but I make sure they know exactly what they are getting into.

Also, once on the plane, I keep my mouth shut. This is not the place to have a newbie freak out.
It's your life, live it!

Friend of mine heard this one...he was talking to a whuffo about skydiving, and the guy looks at him and says "So, let me get this straight..you made a sport out of an emergency procedure?"...
>>
"Here's how you cure cancer: make it more cool for a kid to grow up to be a scientist than it is for him or her to be an athlete or a Pop Star. That's how you cure cancer."