lauril

Funniest whuffo question

Y'all probably heard a lot of questions from whuffos, please share if you have a funny one..;)

This is the most 'whuffo' question I've ever heard, a friend of mine once asked, 'can you feel the wind in freefall ?' (And he didn't mean the relative wind, but the actual wind up there)
How whuffo is that ? :D

I always get asked "how do you breathe?" to which the obvious response is "we don't need to cos we fall that fast the oxygen goes straight into the skin". :D It's amazing how just about everyone falls for it (I even got a newly qualified guy as well !!)

:$When I was a young cable slave, I read the osmosis theory at rec.skydiving, which made me believe it for at least 6 months..... :$:$:$:$:$
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

After viewing a couple of video's my mom wanted to know how far I went back up after opening...got a good chuckle out of that one..:)

lol...I think that's the most common whuffo question :D

I just remembered this...We were at a rigger with my friend to pick my gear up, and he showed some of his filmings from herc boogie...after an rw dive one of them started 'swimming' in freefall, and my friend asked, 'So that helps the forward movement ?' :D:D

After watching a dirt dive:

"So, you do things like synchronized swimmers up there?"

I told her we liked to think of ourselves more like ice dancers. More butch.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I've also heard a mother of a tandem passenger ask the JM'

"so...how many jumpers do you lose a year?"

Nothing wrong with the question, but she asked it in a way you would ask someone what he had done past weekend....making it sound like we 'lost' one or two every weekend and it didn't realy care...

kinda disturbing thoughts...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

This wasn't a whuffo question, but about the strangest and funniest whuffo excuse for not skydiving I've heard... At a party one guy said to me "I'd love to try it, but I don't want to pay for it" When I asked why he didn't want to pay for it he said, "Because if something happened and I died, I'd have paid for my own death"!! He somehow didn't see that driving a car or any other "normal" life risks were the same thing! Go figure!

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I've also heard a mother of a tandem passenger ask the JM'

"so...how many jumpers do you lose a year?"

Nothing wrong with the question, but she asked it in a way you would ask someone what he had done past weekend....making it sound like we 'lost' one or two every weekend and it didn't realy care...

kinda disturbing thoughts...

I've heard about a tandems dad asking that and the TM replying in a joking way "Ahh you know 3 or 4 a year" and the dad said "ohh well thats not to bad is it!" :o:o

When the plane comes in for a landing, the word "KIST" is yellew through the hangar (so jumper form the next load can walk to the platform)

the wordt "KIST" is the 'in crowd' word for plane, but basicly means 'coffin'...yelling that also tends to sound funny after a load of jumpers just landed :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think my favorite was "If you get going fast enough, is it true your skin peels off?"

Boy, those skydivers are tough aren't they?:D

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What do you think of SBS6 (Dutch cheapo disaster lett spread out on tv-tv) saying:

"Look here skydivers are preparing themselves for a team skydive, do get every1 out of the plane at the same moment, which is the hardest thing in skydiving there is, the do a count. (now the commentator translates for all the dutch dumbasses Ready-set-go, but says : Klaar-shit-gaan (which translates back-into "ready-shit-go" (as you may have guessed))) I fell of my chair at this time!
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

A few weeks ago the dutch tv station NCRV had an item on skydiving ('fly away' or something was the name of the program) and it realy elevated skydiving to a high precision sport..quite good..

They showed a thunneling 8 way exit, while the commentator sayd 'watch as they excecute their exit with 100% precision' or something to that extent :)

Aside from the channel sbs6, there has been quite a lot of positive attention for skydiving on dutch tv the last few months...kind of a possitive change...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I heard of a spectator riding the tour wagon at Quincy one year ask "What do skydivers eat?"

They must have smelled the odor wafting out of the plane after a load had gone up.:P

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

***After viewing a couple of video's my mom wanted to know how far I went back up after opening...got a good chuckle out of that one..:)

Don't forget the 2nd part of that...
Don't ever open a parachute in the house!
You could up UP... through the roof!!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I heard of a spectator riding the tour wagon at Quincy one year ask "What do skydivers eat?"

usually the small children the villagers leave at dropzones for us so we dont wander into town and disturb the peace;)

A few years back i was telling a fellow skydiver
about the time we had turned up at a new dz
and found out my reserve was out of date
so it was pencil packed :S
had a cutaway on my second jump
(jumper kicked my cutaway pad off going out the door)
as i dumped the reserve i was thinking hope to god this works
her reply was
did it
yes janet i haven't forgotten :)

Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
Michael Pritchard.

While walking to the plane at a demo...
A spectator pointed to the 4 smoke cans on my feet, and told his girlfriend...
"Those 'rockets' are how they move their bodies in freefall so they can do the big formations"
...things that make you go HUMMMMM!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~