2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

kallend

If parties want to exclude citizens non members, then they should foot the entire bill for their primaries.

That's how it should be.

I couldn't disagree more.

Everybody should have an equal say in the potential leaders of the country, regardless of political affiliations.

With your method you will only strengthen the polarization of the two party system - parties only need to pander to their vocal base and can ignore the rest of the population.

That's just an awful idea.

Everybody should have an equal say in the potential leaders of the country, regardless of political affiliations.

That is the way I felt about the recent selection of a new Conservative Party leader here in Canada. So I spent $20 on a membership and got a vote. Even though I will likely never vote in an election for a conservative, I did have the pleasure of seeing my preferred candidate chosen as leader. Instead of a "white nationalist" or a "businessman".
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

ryoder

If parties want to exclude citizens non members, then they should foot the entire bill for their primaries.

That's how it should be.

Why do you have this inexplicable fondness for the political party duopoly?
They are an undesirable side-effect of our outdated first-past-the-post election system.
Partisan primaries should be abolished.
There are far better methods, e.g. https://ballotpedia.org/Top-two_primary

Duopoly? I didn't suggest that. Just that parties are private entities and should be run by their own members, not non-members.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

yoink

That's how it should be.

I couldn't disagree more.

They do. It's called a general election.

With your method you will only strengthen the polarization of the two party system - parties only need to pander to their vocal base and can ignore the rest of the population.

That's just an awful idea.

Where did I suggest only 2 parties?

gowlerk

***In Canada people can be expelled form a political party. Why is that not an option in the US?

Good question. And how is it that an independent Senator can run for a major party nomination? You would think some term of party membership would be a requirement. I heard in an NPR news story that the GOP wasn't acknowledging him as a Republican candidate, wouldn't give him any money, and the local chapter was trying to get his name off the GOP primary ballot.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

TriGirl

******In Canada people can be expelled form a political party. Why is that not an option in the US?

Good question. And how is it that an independent Senator can run for a major party nomination? You would think some term of party membership would be a requirement. I heard in an NPR news story that the GOP wasn't acknowledging him as a Republican candidate, wouldn't give him any money, and the local chapter was trying to get his name off the GOP primary ballot.

Clearly needs rectification, cue trumps big yapper.

TriGirl

******In Canada people can be expelled form a political party. Why is that not an option in the US?

Yes they tries through legal proceedings and failed. Which baffles me and hence why I asked the question.

Today's deplorable comes from a very . .. expected place.
=======================
White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a top aide to President Donald Trump, has resigned, the White House confirmed Wednesday, following allegations of abuse from his two ex-wives.
=======================

I guess he wasn't enough of a star that he could get away with it.

Steve Wynn, former RNC finance chair, resigned from his own company.

He resigned from the RNC due to allegations of sexual misconduct, and has now left the company he founded because those "little problems" just won't go away.

One of the claims is that he paid out $7.5 million to a woman over claims he pressured her into sex.
And there are many, many other claims.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

billvon

Today's deplorable comes from a very . .. expected place.
=======================
White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a top aide to President Donald Trump, has resigned, the White House confirmed Wednesday, following allegations of abuse from his two ex-wives.
=======================

I guess he wasn't enough of a star that he could get away with it.

Nobody knew that hiring the best people could be so hard.

normiss

April Ryan:

Rob Porter could not get a security clearance because of all of the issues from the domestic violence allegations. Yet he still had access.

“Rob Porter is a man of true integrity and honor, and I can't say enough good things about him,” White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, Tuesday February 6, 2018

“I have worked directly with Rob Porter nearly every day for the last year, and the person I know is someone of the highest integrity and exemplary character,” Huckabee Sanders, Feb. 6, 2018

The incompetence in the White House is truly staggering.

kallend

April Ryan:

Rob Porter could not get a security clearance because of all of the issues from the domestic violence allegations. Yet he still had access.

“Rob Porter is a man of true integrity and honor, and I can't say enough good things about him,” White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, Tuesday February 6, 2018

“I have worked directly with Rob Porter nearly every day for the last year, and the person I know is someone of the highest integrity and exemplary character,” Huckabee Sanders, Feb. 6, 2018

Ah no;

Rob Porter is resigning, after abuse allegations from his two ex-wives were made public. The White House was made aware of the allegations in November and allowed him to work without a full security clearance, CBS News' chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reports.

White House communications director Hope Hicks, who is dating Porter, helped craft his public statement, Garrett confirmed.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rob-porter-hope-hicks-boyfriend-white-house-aide-resigning-amid-abuse-allegations/

Phil1111

April Ryan:

Ah no;

Rob Porter is resigning, after abuse allegations from his two ex-wives were made public. The White House was made aware of the allegations in November and allowed him to work without a full security clearance, CBS News' chief White House correspondent Major Garrett reports.

White House communications director Hope Hicks, who is dating Porter, helped craft his public statement, Garrett confirmed.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rob-porter-hope-hicks-boyfriend-white-house-aide-resigning-amid-abuse-allegations/So, let's see if I have this right. Hillary Clinton should rot in jail for the rest of her life because a handful of improperly marked emails (not marked "secret" but someone later on decided maybe they should have been) were sent to her private email account. Trump and Kelly knowingly allowed someone without a security clearance to handle every communication that crossed the President's desk, much of it classified or top secret. So what penalty would be fitting for Trump and Kelly?

Don

So Trump, of course, is defending the guy.

"As you probably know, he says he’s innocent, and I think you have to remember that. He said very strongly yesterday that he's innocent, so you'll have to talk to him about that."

I am reminded of Trump's impassioned defense of Mike Tyson.

"It's so sad because I've known Mike more or less from the beginning. He started off having his first fights at my place and he's had his biggest fights at Trump Plaza in Atlantic City. He was so incredible and the last few years he's just not been the same — number one he's not been the same fighter, he's not been the same man, he's not been the same anything. The truth is he's been very loyal to me, he has most of his fights at my places. He does best at my places in terms of his best fights and he's been great and I just hate to see what's happened to him. It's a travesty, it's a travesty."

He also went on to relay that the women Tyson raped "wanted it real bad."

>Once again I'm left waiting for Trump Jr to stand by his principles and express
>his shock at dad's response.

Hey, give him a break. They only knew about Porter abusing his ex-wives for a year. These things take time.

Edited to add - and in any case, there's always revisionism. From WaPo:
===========
Kelly offers account of Porter exit that some White House aides consider untrue

By Philip Rucker and Josh Dawsey
February 9 at 12:56 PM

White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly on Friday morning instructed senior staff to communicate a version of events about the departure of staff secretary Rob Porter that contradicts the Trump administration’s previous accounts, according to two senior officials.

During a staff meeting, Kelly told those in attendance to say he took action to remove Porter within 40 minutes of learning abuse allegations from two ex-wives were credible, according to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because discussions in such meetings are supposed to be confidential.

“He told the staff he took immediate and direct action,” one of the officials said, adding that people after the meeting expressed disbelief with one another and felt his latest account was not true.

That version of events contradicts both the public record and accounts from numerous other White House officials in recent days as the Porter drama unfolded. Kelly — who first learned of the domestic violence allegations against Porter months ago — issued a glowing statement of support for Porter’s personal character after the allegations first surfaced publicly Tuesday and privately urged him to remain on the job until the next day when his resignation was announced.
=============

So Kelly is getting dragged down into the morass.

So many folks felt that having him in the WH would elevate it's behavior. Or at least moderate the Mango Mussolini a little bit.

Instead, the opposite is happening.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

So Kelly is getting dragged down into the morass.

So many folks felt that having him in the WH would elevate it's behavior. Or at least moderate the Mango Mussolini a little bit.

Instead, the opposite is happening.

Mattis, Mattis, Mattis, the only real man of PRINCIPAL, left. He sort of reminds me of McCain.

Those who work in the current WH and those legislators who choose to abet cadet bones spurs, will bear a mark of shame for the rest of their shortened careers.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Another day, another deplorable in the Trump administration.

==================
David Sorensen, a member of the Trump administration's speechwriting team, has resigned after being accused of domestic abuse, a White House official says.

He is the second administration official to resign this week over domestic abuse allegations, after top White House staffer Rob Porter resigned on Wednesday.

According to a White House official, Sorensen's job with the Council on Environmental Quality did not require a security clearance, but his background check was ongoing.

The Washington Post first reported Sorensen's resignation Friday evening, and reported that his ex-wife alleged that "he ran a car over her foot, put out a cigarette on her hand, threw her into a wall and grasped her menacingly by her hair while they were alone on their boat in remote waters off Maine's coast, an incident she said left her fearing for her life."
=================

Charming. I wonder if Trump will defend him as well?