2 2
billvon

baskets of deplorables

Clinton didn't know how right she was when the talked about Trump's "basket of deplorables - the "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic" Trump supporters that he encourages and enables. We are now seeing them emerge from hiding across the country in all their glory.

So I thought I'd start this thread to keep track of them. I'll start it off with Stormfront, a neo-Nazi website that is now hosted on a Trump ally's website. Here's part of a post, written shortly after a woman was murdered by a white supremacist in Virginia:

"Heather Heyer: Woman Killed in Road Rage Incident was a Fat, Childless 32-Year-Old Slut.
. . .
She was fat and a drain on society. Despite feigned outrage by the media, most people are glad she is dead, as she is the definition of uselessness. A 32-year-old woman without children is a burden on society and has no value.”

From deplorable David Duke:

"This represents a turning point for the people of this country,” said Duke in video uploaded to Twitter by Indianapolis Star photojournalist Mykal McEldowney. “We are determined to take our country back. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump. That’s what we believed in, that’s why we voted for Donald Trump. Because he said he’s going to take our country back. That’s what we gotta do.” (speech)

Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists in BLM/Antifa! (tweet)

A common refrain when "deplorables" are discussed is "that's only a small fraction of his supporters! The vast majority of them wouldn't support Trump if he endorses Nazis, or if evidence is found conclusively linking him to Russian election interference, or the rape allegation turns out to be true. They are giving him the benefit of the doubt, rather than believe the lying media."

This study from Monmouth disagrees.

================
Nearly seven months after taking office, it’s beginning to look like much of Trump’s support is locked in. Among those who currently approve of the president’s job performance, most (61%) say they cannot see Trump doing anything that would make them disapprove of him.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_081517/
================

And more deplorables:

===============
Ilia Calderón, a Univision journalist with both African and Colombian heritage, agreed to visit KKK leader Chris Barker on his wooded North Carolina property. She watched Mr Barker lead a KKK meeting – in which participants dressed up in hooded robes and danced around with torches – and then sat down for an interview.

Almost immediately, Mr Barker asked her why she didn’t “go back” to her country of origin. (Ms Calderón is an immigrant.)

“We have nothing here in America; ya’ll keep flooding it,” he said. “But like God says – like Yahweh himself says – we will chase you out of here.”

Later, Mr Barker stopped to correct himself, telling Ms Calderón: “No, we’re going to burn you out.”

When the journalist asked him how he planned to “burn out” 11 million immigrants, he responded: “We killed 6 million Jews the last time. Eleven million is nothing.”

Mr Barker is the grand wizard of the Loyal White Knights faction of the KKK, which participated in the “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia last weekend.

One person at the rally died, and dozens were injured, when a man allegedly mowed down a group of counter-protesters with his car. The Loyal White Knights proceeded to praise the driver for “running over nine communist anti-fascists”.

“When a couple of them die, it doesn’t bother us,” Mr Barker told WBTV. “They’re always attacking and messing with our rallies.”

In his interview with Ms Calderón, Mr Barker referred to her as a "n*****” and a "mongrel". He also claimed that his organisation was a Christian group, not a hate group, and that he did not consider himself a racist.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/kkk-leader-interview-latina-journalist-death-threat-black-woman-video-a7899306.html

Scientific American: White Nationalists Are Flocking to Genetic Ancestry Tests--with Surprising Results

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/white-nationalists-are-flocking-to-genetic-ancestry-tests-with-surprising-results/
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Donovan, who has moved from UCLA to the Data & Society Research Institute, estimated that she spent some four hours a day reading Stormfront in 2016.

I think she deserves a medal right there.

Not that this matters at all in the conversation, but I smirked at reading that the former KKK grand wizard and founder of a white supremacy sight is named Don Black.
I got nuthin

Kessler, the organizer of the Charlottesville rally, continues to prove what sort of a human being he is:

Jason Kessler: "Heather Heyer was a fat, disgusting Communist. Communists have killed 94 million. Looks like it was payback time."

Sounds like he was suggesting this was an expected and desirable outcome of the rally he organized. That would be an interesting case for an AG.

Deplorable Russell Walker states that the Confederate flag isn't a symbol of racism - then refers to "Martin Luther Coon" street a few sentences later.

"I don't believe [the confederate flag] is a symbol of racism. I don't believe it's a symbol of slavery."

A few sentences later:

"Hey, I go down the street I see Martin Luther Coon -- I shouldn't say that. I mean, Martin Luther King. Should I insist they rip the street signs down that say Martin Luther King Street or the rest of that stuff?"

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/08/south-carolina-man-swears-hes-not-racist

Emboldened by Trump's support of fascism, Scott Wagner (GOP candidate for governor) let loose this gem:

"And Mr. Soros, I would be like …. You know what's amazing that a guy who came from Hungary—a Hungarian Jew—made a fortune. Think where he came from, and he has an opinion of America that he does. It's just amazing to me."

Did you hear that? He's a JEW, not even an American!

He then tried the "I have Jewish friends" angle to try to back out of his statement, then even tried "I was just joking".

Expect to see more of this as the deplorables are empowered.

This deplorable fired a weapon at a protester at the rally. Fortunately he did not kill him; had he done so, he might be responsible for the deaths of two people, as the man he was aiming at went on to rescue another protester who was being beaten by white supremacists.

On the plus side, this particular deplorable has been identified, arrested and will face charges. On the minus side, the police did nothing before or after he fired, despite being about 10 feet away from him.
=======================================
As White Nationalist in Charlottesville Fired, Police ‘Never Moved’

By FRANCES ROBLES
AUG. 25, 2017
NYT

Video footage shows a man firing toward a counterprotester at the Aug. 12 "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Va.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — As demonstrators clashed near a downtown park here two weeks ago, a white nationalist protester in a bulletproof vest turned, pointed a pistol toward the crowd and fired a single shot at the ground, in the direction of a black man wielding an improvised torch.

To make his escape, a video recording shows, the armed protester strolled past a line of about a dozen state police troopers who were safely positioned about 10 feet away behind two metal barricades. None of them budged.

“We all heard it and ran — I know damn well they heard it,” said Rosia Parker, a community activist in Charlottesville. “They never moved.”

Police had a suspect in the shooting in custody on Saturday morning, according to an official familiar with the investigation, who requested anonymity to provide information not yet public. But residents are still demanding to know why officers did not act in real time as heavily armed people fought and a car sped toward a crowd, killing a woman. So stark was the police failure to intervene, many participants in the protest and counterprotests believe it was by design.
=========================================

This legislator threatened a black attorney that she might "go missing" if she persists in calling for the removal of confederate monuments.

Because nothing makes the case that those monuments don't drive violence like threatening to kidnap/kill a black woman if she stands up to them.
===================================
White lawmaker warns black attorney she may ‘go missing’ if Confederate statues are threatened

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr.
August 30 at 4:36 PM

LaDawn Jones is a black Democrat from Atlanta. For four years, her seatmate in the Georgia House of Representatives was Jason Spencer, a white Republican from the southern tip of the state. They see the world differently and, she concedes, there were many conversations where “we’ve had to walk away from each other because the debate was so intense.”

Those debates didn’t end when Jones left the legislature to resume practicing law last year — they were still frenemies on social media. And this week, the pair got into an online scuffle in which some say Spencer made a violent, racist threat.

. . .

The lowest point was when Spencer told her that if she and others kept up their fight to rid the state of Confederate monuments, “I cant guarantee you won’t be met with torches but something a lot more definitive.”

Later, removing any doubt, he said the people who want the statues gone “will go missing in the Okefenokee,” referring to a swamp and national wildlife refuge near his home town. “To many necks they are red around here. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/30/white-lawmaker-warns-black-attorney-she-may-go-missing-if-confederate-statues-are-threatened/?utm_term=.ad78f6be94ed
=====================================

I'm glad you agree too. This is what America has needed. We have been waiting for this for the past 8 to 80 years. Yes! Finally we are Making America Great Again. God is surely smiling down on us this day. His will be done. Long live the...(ok, I don't really want to get banned for a post like this :ph34r:)

While all the anger and hate coming from these people is unfortunate, there is a bit of a silver lining in that it's easy to forget that these people exist. When instances like the one below occur rarely, we can say "well, that's one in a million; it's not like there are a lot of these people out there" - and become complacent about dealing with the underlying causes.

With Trump's emboldening of such people, though, we are seeing a lot more of this. And while it's a sad reminder that such racism and hatred still exists, at least we are now more aware of it. (Also glad that this time the police stopped it before anyone was injured or killed.)

From the Miami New-Times:
========================
White Supremacist Arrested for Charging Crowd

Jerry Iannelli, Isabella Gomes
August 30, 2017

. . . .

Today a local white supremacist, Christopher Rey Monzon (who is 22 and goes by the online handle "Chris Cedeno"), was arrested after witnesses say he charged into the crowd of civil rights protesters. A New Times reporter watched the event unfold: Monzon was standing near the entrance to Hollywood City Hall, in front of a police line that separated him from 150 to 200 protesters. Cedeno was filmed jawing back and forth with a protester from roughly ten feet away.

"You are a cancer on the face of the earth!" Monzon shouted. "All Jews are!"

He then ran directly at the crowd with a flagpole pointed toward the protesters. Cops were filmed tackling Monzon and taking him away Monzon in handcuffs.

A spokesperson for Hollywood Police said Monzon has been charged with aggravated assault, disorderly conduct, and inciting a riot.

Monzon was photographed at the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia earlier this month, where a white supremacist drove a Dodge Charger into a crowd of anti-racist protesters, killing 32-year-old Heather Heyer and injuring 19 others.

Monzon showed up at the protest in a shirt emblazoned with the logo for the Florida League of the South, a white nationalist group that wants the Confederate states to secede from the Union again and create a society led by white, Christian people of European descent.

Today Monzon waved a flag that combined the classic Confederate "stars and bars" with the black-and-white League of the South logo.
========================

billvon

Because nothing makes the case that those monuments don't drive violence like threatening to kidnap/kill a black woman if she stands up to them.

To be fair to bigots, he isn't technically threatening, saying HE would do the job...just that some people out there might want to do that job.

But yeah, there is always the possibility of a vague, veiled threat. "Gee, it sure would be awfully sad if someone decides to make you disappear...[chuckle]."

>To be fair to bigots, he isn't technically threatening, saying HE would do the job..

Agreed. He was making it pretty clear that _other_ bigots would do it.

"Nice family you got there. Be a shame if something happened to them. I'm just giving you a friendly warning here; not everyone is as nice as I am."

While all the anger and hate coming from these people is unfortunate, there is a bit of a silver lining in that it's easy to forget that these people exist.

Yup, it is good that these people feel comfortable enough to expose themselves so we know that the work isn't over.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Crying Nazi claims he's just a human being, and everyone should stop treating him like a . . . . Nazi?

On the plus side, Trump leans towards pardoning racist criminals, so perhaps there's hope for him.

========================================
‘Crying Nazi’ Christopher Cantwell Says He’s Just a ‘Goddamn Human Being’

HAWES SPENCER
08.30.17 4:23 PM ET
Daily Beast

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia—Christopher Cantwell is not happy being labeled "the crying Nazi."
The white supremacist got the moniker after he recorded a tearful video upon hearing he was wanted for arrest after pepper-spraying protesters at the University of Virginia on August 11. That was the night several hundred torch-wielding white nationalists chanted “Jews will not replace us” and then encircled a few dozen protesters gathered at a statue of university founder Thomas Jefferson.

"When I come down here for a permitted demonstration, championed by the ACLU, where the police are supposed to be clearing our enemies from our path, and then I find myself involved in a riot facing 20 years in prison, I got emotional, shockingly enough," Cantwell told The Daily Beast in his first interview from jail.

"One minute I'm a fucking white supremacist terrorist and the next minute I'm a fucking crybaby?" he asks. "I'm a goddamn human being."

The 36-year-old New Hampshire resident said he is being held in solitary confinement at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail out of concerns for his safety.

Cantwell turned himself in last Wednesday after two citizen activists swore before a magistrate that he attacked them. The subsequent felony warrants for illegal use of gasses and injury by caustic agent were issued by a court without any involvement from police, even after a widely circulated photograph clearly caught him in the act.

billvon

Crying Nazi claims he's just a human being, and everyone should stop treating him like a . . . . Nazi?

On the plus side, Trump leans towards pardoning racist criminals, so perhaps there's hope for him.

========================================
‘Crying Nazi’ Christopher Cantwell Says He’s Just a ‘Goddamn Human Being’

HAWES SPENCER
08.30.17 4:23 PM ET
Daily Beast

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia—Christopher Cantwell is not happy being labeled "the crying Nazi."
The white supremacist got the moniker after he recorded a tearful video upon hearing he was wanted for arrest after pepper-spraying protesters at the University of Virginia on August 11. That was the night several hundred torch-wielding white nationalists chanted “Jews will not replace us” and then encircled a few dozen protesters gathered at a statue of university founder Thomas Jefferson.

"When I come down here for a permitted demonstration, championed by the ACLU, where the police are supposed to be clearing our enemies from our path, and then I find myself involved in a riot facing 20 years in prison, I got emotional, shockingly enough," Cantwell told The Daily Beast in his first interview from jail.

"One minute I'm a fucking white supremacist terrorist and the next minute I'm a fucking crybaby?" he asks. "I'm a goddamn human being."

The 36-year-old New Hampshire resident said he is being held in solitary confinement at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail out of concerns for his safety.

Cantwell turned himself in last Wednesday after two citizen activists swore before a magistrate that he attacked them. The subsequent felony warrants for illegal use of gasses and injury by caustic agent were issued by a court without any involvement from police, even after a widely circulated photograph clearly caught him in the act.

Poor guy. Probably didn't you can't just walk up and pepper spray people.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher