JohnRich

Saudi woman to be lashed for defying driving ban

News:

"A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a woman to 10 lashes for breaking the country's ban on female drivers..."
Full story: BBC News

You do the crime, you do the time! This lawless scumbag should be thankful that she's not going to be locked up at Gitmo and be subjected to the horrific human rights violations that can only be dealt out by the sons and daughters of the USA.

I just don't know how to answer....

Do I stand up for women's rights or do I respect another countries traditions....

Please liberal media, tell me what to think......[:/]

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Do I stand up for women's rights or do I respect another countries traditions....

It is a quandary.
This reminds me of the American kid in Singapore who was caned for stealing and for vandalizing cars. Maybe I'm harsh but I felt, hell yea spank his ass. This Arab woman didn't steal or damage any ones property so maybe it is too severe a punishment. On the other hand she did violate their law.

News:

"A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced a woman to 10 lashes for breaking the country's ban on female drivers..."

And your point is ..... ?

JR, we all are in a position to read, newspapers and even the internet. Imagine that :)

You permanently post sh*t links w/o taking any position.

What is your idea on that link, why did you post it?

Or do you just want to push even the very last hillbilly nose on it ...?

Ridiculous.

:|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

It is a quandary.
This reminds me of the American kid in Singapore who was caned for stealing and for vandalizing cars. Maybe I'm harsh but I felt, hell yea spank his ass. This Arab woman didn't steal or damage any ones property so maybe it is too severe a punishment. On the other hand she did violate their law.

Vandalizing etc is one thing, but driving a car.

Wtf.

*I actually went to the same school as Michael Fay :ph34r:
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

News:

In another thread you were defending religious beliefs.

So, are extremist belief in religions good or bad?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

This is a big pet peave of yours, isn't it? ;):)
Personally I think this is a type of strategic posting to get a more accurate response from the prespective of other posters without being influenced by the opinion of the OP.

There are many benefits to this type of posting...It's very effective in trapping your opponents and using their comments as an analogy to make them eat crow in another forum.

Remember, posting in the SC is a game, it's only a game.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

News:

In another thread you were defending religious beliefs.

So, are extremist belief in religions good or bad?

I have to laugh (otherwise I would cry) at the individuals who believe religion has a place in law and order because they almost always believe it's only their current interpretation of the current interpretation of their religion that has a place ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

News:

And your point is ..... ?

JR, we all are in a position to read, newspapers and even the internet. Imagine that :)

Or do you just want to push even the very last hillbilly nose on it ...?

Ridiculous.

:|

The only thing rediculous is your reply.

If you don't like his links then why don't you exercise your right to shut up, and don't participate.

His link appears to have contributed more to the conversation than your lashing out has. Your response only contributed a whole bunch of crying and whining!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

ONLY ten lashes?!?!?!?
Sheesh, there must be a progressive feminist movement going on there.
There was a time when she would've gotten stoned.
Next thing you know, they'll be letting their women vote!! Then what?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

8 votes to 9, hmm pretty close.

I evened it up at 9

Already mentioned:
Do the crime, do the time.

You people seem to think that only U.S. laws and customs are valid and relevant.
Pretty arrogant, donchyathink?

It's why we're in the military and world popularity mess we're in already.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You people seem to think that only U.S. laws and customs are valid and relevant.
Pretty arrogant, donchyathink?

So then you believe in "cultural relativism", whereby no one has the right to criticize another's cultural practices?

And therefore you approve of the muslim practice of cutting off the clitoris of young girls to prevent them from enjoying sex when they mature?

>So then you approve of the muslim practice of cutting off the clitoris of young girls
>to prevent them from enjoying sex when they mature?

Sure, that's exactly the same thing. But I think you could have done a lot better than that; perhaps a Hitler reference and a liberal bash.

So then you believe in "cultural relativism", whereby no one has the right to criticize another's cultural practices?

You got it in the target area but you missed.
Rights to criticize? You gotta be kidding.

Had you been man-up and said, "Do you believe in "cultural relativism?" then, yes.

And therefore you approve of the muslim practice of cutting off the clitoris of young girls to prevent them from enjoying sex when they mature?

Approve? You're funny.

Sheesh...typical SC comeback. You can do better.

Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth, though.
Could I ask that next time you provide some salt to go with it?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yes, I'm reading 1984 again.

Ninetteen Eighty-Four is so passe and limited; not for Orwell's time, but for ours. We're WELL beyond it and what's worse is a lot of it we've done to ourselves. No need at all for Big Brother.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I evened it up at 9

Already mentioned:
Do the crime, do the time.

How did you vote in the 'deserves to be executed' polls?

Not at all. However, extremely discriminatory laws devised by an absolute monarchy/theocracy are pretty easy to criticize.

As for 'custom' (hah!) I would point out that a) no-one ever asked that woman if she wanted to give up her rights for the sake of tradition and b) extreme sexism enshrined in law and disproportionate criminal punishments were a part of the custom and tradition of most western countries (yours too) until quite recently. It was wrong for us then and it's wrong for them now.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I can't believe there are actually people that voted that she deserves it... What the fuck... Seriously?

The idea that anyone is willing to put laws above basic human decency is sickening. There are elements of many cultures which is disgusting and should never be supported, this is one of them.

If the US government were to make it illegal for men to make eye-contact with women, and you did it. Would you really think that you deserved it? If so, you need to grow a fucking backbone and realize that just because the government tells you to do something, doesn't mean it's right.

One has to be trying overly hard to be accepting and open minded to actually fight for these fucked up cultural laws. Nothing worse than people trying to be accepting to things that don't deserve it. I suppose you people also support the African tribal tradition of finding a girl and raping her in order to make her your wife? Because oh you know, what is human decency when you'll be looked at as a cultural elitist.