geanky

martial arts

This is the same reason I quit Tae Kwon Do. 6 years BB.
It seemed that it was mostly about a high speed game of "tag".

So I started Akido, and did that for about 3 years.

Then I went through a few styles....and then started skydiving.

Well...Thats all she wrote. I have not done any other MA except for the ground fighting that the Army tought us....Some of it was very good...Hoice Graci (How do you spell his name?) Gave several classes to us..

I have been thinking of taking Wing Chung again, this time with more effort than last time...But MA was a large part of my life for 8-9 years...And to be honest..I think am over it.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yes, I've done a bit.

12 years of judo at school, then 2 years in the military being taught to kill people inbetween being bored, then 10 years of southern chinese styles, mainly wing chun and Hungar with some Shaolin long fist. No edged weapons, just short staff (baton) long staff (6ft) and 3 sectional staff. I needed more grappling so I did some brazilian jijitsu as well, and rounded it all off with 8 years working as a bouncer to gain some experience and figure out whats practical. There was some overlap there. I used to fight a lot. I never fight now. I don't train within a system now but I still train, mainly stretching, and internal stuff, Chi Gung and breathing. About 30 years worth of training including overlaps. I did nothing until I was 6, nothing formal from 20 to 22, and nothing formal from 38 to now.
It's the year of the Pig.

Blackbelt in Uechi Ryu Karate. Studied it in the dojo for 4 1/2 years. Taught or helped teach kids class as well during 4 of those years. Competed in 1 tournament. Took 1st in forms and 2nd in sparring in the state.

No longer practice in a dojo but continue practicing at home. Once I figure out where I'll be living this year, a dojo is one of the things I'll be looking for.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Blackbelt in Uechi Ryu Karate. Studied it in the dojo for 4 1/2 years. Taught or helped teach kids class as well during 4 of those years. Competed in 1 tournament. Took 1st in forms and 2nd in sparring in the state.

No longer practice in a dojo but continue practicing at home. Once I figure out where I'll be living this year, a dojo is one of the things I'll be looking for.

so when can we wrassel? read my martial arts post.... anyone for NHB?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I took about 4 years of Tae Kwon Do, ended up stopping about 6 months before I would have taken my Black Belt test. (I had work/school/family conflict).

It was great fun, so someday I'll get back to it.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So...you wouldn't mind getting beat by a girl, huh? ;):D:D

Oh...wait....you'd allow me to pin you, wouldn't you? :D:D
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

3 years of danzan ryu jujitsu (got to brown belt), iado, and kali- 2 years of judo (moved and couldn't find a danzan dojo). started fencing then for temple and there wasn't much time for anything else- stoopid college athletics. quit fencing and gave up an athletic scholarship to skydive.

Yo !

Started Shorin Ryu karate two years ago. Also got into climbing this year and noticed they are a perfect pair. Both activities have a lot in common, mental and physical, and the combination balances muscle groups very nicely.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Recently started taking Krav Maga...Israeli MA. It takes your natural reflexes and convert them to fighting moves. For instance, someone grabs you around the neck from behind, your natural reaction is grab their arms. That won't do you much good, so you train to follow that up with an elbow to the stomach or eye gouge.

Not much sparring with others involved, since most of the moves are designed to maim or kill your opponent as quickly as possible.

So...you wouldn't mind getting beat by a girl, huh? ;):D:D

Oh...wait....you'd allow me to pin you, wouldn't you? :D:D

actually i got beat by a girl once in a NHB match..... somehow her legs got wrapped around my neck while facing her... I almost passed out but tapped... but damn what a way to go out... and i have it on video too... but i was winning up until that point...

all the dirty things i could have done... i was thinking them, but was a fair sport.... but being fair caused me to lose...

but no hard feelings it was fun
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Yes, I used to be a martial arts maniac - really into Kung Fu. I've also practiced aikido, baguazhang, hsing-i (Xing-yi to some folks), tai-chi, goju-ryu, and done a bit of boxing/kickboxing. Had a jiu-jitsu sparring partner for a bit. Haven't really been into it for a while. Fun stuff. If I ever get back into it I think I'd do aikido or one of the internal chinese styles as I enjoyed those the most.

Vinny the Anvil
;)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I have a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and taught it full time when I was younger but gave it up due to back problems. Also boxed for awhile in college and fought in one golden gloves tournament (novice class) - once was enough since I found that I was better than my opponent at bleeding profusely. you wouldn't believe how heavy 16 ounces of foam rubber can weigh at during the third of three rounds. Also took judo when I was a kid and studied a Japanese martial art in Germany when I was there with the Army in the 70's; can't remember what it was called.

i LOVE kendo..it remembers there is a martial component to the sport of "tag" that modern fencing has become..

Yeah. Apart from the fact that arguing with your opponent would never happen even in training (love all that respectful behaviour before the screaming starts), in competition, if the judges don't think you really would have split the guy's head like a melon *and* looked cool doing it *and* were ready to fillet him afterwards if necessary... you don't get the point.

Which is why kendo matches often end 1-0 after double extra time, both fighters covered in bruises and near collapse B|

Ah yes. I miss kendo. Training six times a week was a bitch, but hey - I was in school, I had no need for a life.

[edit: speling]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

i cant say i ever really had those problems although i DID see quite a few of them and the occasional obvious political bullshit was enough to make me decline a final bout once..

i think learning to fence 'dry' (pre electric) help me to learn to wait for the hits that were easily observed.. (silly i know) and clean.. i also use LOTS of oposition to control my opponents blade ( nearly 20 years of fencing so i cant help thinking in western terms still) and create the kami (most of the time;)) i wished...

i never minded having to "fence the director" but when the culture shifted to calling actions attacks that would be silly or impossible with real blades...well that just wasnt why i wanted to learn in the first place..

i DID however get annoyed at the pairing system kenod has for competitions..

"you cant face him. he's a nidan your still a ku..."
"and?? i hand him his ass in practice and he knows it...."

luckily after my fourth duel in college i got over asking people "wanna try that with live steel and see which one of us bleeds?"

Funny how when they make you learn PLFs, your brain goes, 'ushiro ukemi' - piece of cake ;)

An entire childhood of Shotokan.
3 years of Aikikai variant aikido, almost a year of ASU variant now.
Also now mixed in Toyama Ryu Batto Jutsu and a TSKSR variant with iai/ken-jutsu - I don't care who says the naginata is a chick weapon - they still kick ass :)

I don't care who says the naginata is a chick weapon - they still kick ass :)

i've been handed my head more times than i can count by a 5'3 65 year old asian woman with a naginata.. loved every min of it. B|

Now I feel kinda uncomfortable talking about martial arts and here's why: at the age of ~12 (???) I started studying karate... but quit after lesson 2. It seemed too damn hard to me, though it really wasn't. I'm very ashamed of the fact that I'd quit then.

After coming to America, which was last July, I found out that several martial arts schools are very close to home. I read several sources and decided that taekwondo is what I need. Karate seemed very old and, what, full of traditions? yeah, something like that. Taekwondo is a relatively new martial art, and as far as I understand it's like condensed karate, with not much left except for the effective, "performance" part. I may be wrong but this seemed the case.
Well, I was really-really enjoying it, I felt that this amount of movement, effort and sweat a couple of times a week is exactly what I need. I reached the yellow belt, which wasn't a long way to go. It took like 7-8 weeks... But then I quit again! This time, though, I had a better cause. First, they wanted a shitload of money for the protective equipment ($190 for that stuff seems far from reasonable). But most importantly, I wanted to start skydiving. This was just one of those points in life when you have to clearly define priorities. To me, skydiving was more important. So I started spending all my money in that direction.

Side effects: I had to quit TKD, I can't fix my bike, can't go on a lond trip anywhere, can't buy pretty much anything... But I'm ready to pay this price, for that woderful 20-minute ride in the airplane and a minute of freedom.