geanky

martial arts

I must say - with the fact that ALL fights end up on the ground eventually

not sure i agree with that at all..by the time they (or you if you screwed up) on the ground the fight should be over...

i really like brazilian ju-jitsu but would most definitely complement it with an above ground fighting style so that you can fight on both grounds because sometimes you really don't what to hit the floorB|

learn to fly in 3d

Jeet-kun-Do Was most fun (just 4months at end of years of study),
I miss my team but, I have too much to focus on now that it would be unfair to myself and the team to return 1/2 committed.

I did practice martial arts for a while. Karate on and off for ten years (kyokushin, shoto kan, yoseikan) and jiu-jitsu for 3 years. Then, skydiving got in the way and I started flying instead of fighting.

I have to say that knowing how to fall helped me a few times on my landings:S:o:D

NM 156

Tang Soo Do/Hapkido -- Green belt
Aikido -- 2 different styles but both instructors had black belts from O'Sensei. One was stationed in Japan in the early 60's and his style was hard. The other was around until the end and had a more spiritual side, but not quite Ki Society.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Got up to a greenbelt in Tae Kwon Do yrs ago.
I was in great shape then!
Ended up ending class due to working 2 jobs..needed the money.
I can still count to ten..and a few other class phrases.
Ah young ham she knee kuh!
Gary Calhoun

only had to use it once..I WON!
(she asked for it!) kidding hahahah

Luv2Fall,

Where abouts in Okinawa did you live??? Where you in the military/or military bratt???

I lived in Oki for 4 1/2 years (1984-1989). I lived in Futenma & Camp Shields, attended Kubasaki High School... So very cool to run into another Oki-ite. B| It's such a small world. I sure do miss the wild nights partying outside Gate 2, and Naha :ph34r: Those were the days..............

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

I retired from the Army but never got the chance to visit Okinawa.

My Master was born, raised and trained in Okinawa and moved to the States as a young man. So my kempo training was here. Of 26 years of teaching, I was my master's 17th Black Belt........he trained as he was trained thus the low number of earned Dan Ranks under him inspite of large numbers of people who start out with him..........very unique, highly disciplined and traditional man.

I totally feel ya. I work out a lot on the elliptical and calisthenics while I am in college, there isn't really anything worth doing here. So I work on the stuff i need to by myself and really miss the karate school back home...

If I loved you anymore I would have a stroke

do you practice or have you practiced any type of martial art...and if yes which one?

just trying to better understand the community

Kung Fu (Kenpo style), full contact, when I was 17 and my reflexes were damn fast, not any more.

You dont need marial arts to fight, just plenty of testosterone and a little stragegy (ie - push him to get him off balance, then bam!!!, and feel the rush...)

Okinawan Kenpo Kubido for a couple years when I was young. As an adult, and military, and counter terror guy I have stuck to learning "techniques" and not really a style. Been through US Marine Corps CCI, certified in PPCT :D, and had a fair amount of "other" instruction while in the military and my current job.

I just started Muay Thai Kick Boxing about 4 months ago. It's been one of the best things I've done for myself. Great workout. I've lost 5 pounds and a couple of inches off my waist. I really notice the increased flexibility moving around in the aircraft (C182 - small dz) and my general fitness level is way up.

The classes I go to really rock...music blasting, warm-ups, skipping, stretching, heavy bag or pad work with another student followed by push-ups, ab work, more stretching to warm down.

Eventually I plan to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to have the combination of ground fighting and stand-up fighting.

Having lots of fun and feeling good!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

do you practice or have you practiced any type of martial art...and if yes which one?

just trying to better understand the community

senior brown belt in "rioshi ryu bujitsukai kenpojutsu." Also have competed in no holds bar tourneys. strangley enough there is more of a rush to a fight than a skydive
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Eight years of kendo or so, but it's pretty unforgiving of injuries you sustain in other sports (even though it's pretty hart to get hurt beyond bruises and the odd fractured finger). I started having to take too much time off every time I pulled a shoulder or whatever playing other sports, and wasn't willing to just do kendo exclusively any more.

A fair amount of karate too, but always as a sort of lefthanded thing to keep my kendo balanced out.

Just as I found the best kendo students were ones who had done intensive training in something physical (ballet comes to mind as a good indicator of a student's likely progress rate), the converse is true. Martial arts have helped me get good at other sports pretty quickly, and it's making skydiving come pretty easily too (FWIW, this is eight jumps to date, but it *seems* easy :P heh).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

i've been practicing Kendo and Iai on and off for about 12 years..started in college when a japanese AF officer's son started attending the fencing classes i taught..

i earned my shodan 3 years ago, but really havent had the time to stay involved..

i LOVE kendo..it remembers there is a martial component to the sport of "tag" that modern fencing has become..

when conversations like this became the norm i knew it was time to quit fencing..

"i hit you first. didnt you see the light?? yes i did, but assuming that silly flick you called an attack could actually be performed with live steel, i'd have a scratch on my shoulder..you however would have 8 inches of my blade thru your chest...now who do you think should really get the point?"