taz9420

Got Helmet

I have a big chunk out of the back of my helmet from the bar on an otter,

Why, it's a dodgey sport but why do poeple jump in situations when thet can't even protect their head leaving a plane, are you slap dash or something or not properly trained, please explaine to me.

If I can't exit without hitting my head on something, or a least know how to avoid it, I'd be a little worried, or is that just me.

The, "Thats just the way it is in this sport", please keep your oppinions to yourself, I'm looking for quility answers here so I can understand.

Mush

I always jump with a helmet...

One day a friend of mine said... I can't wait ot get my D so I can feel freefall without a helmet... I thought..."really?" She was like yeah... I'll do a solo, you know so I'm safe...

I said...What about landing? She'd never even thought about it....

Your right, it's a big picture, you have to take in all the risks, & there are quite a few to mention.

But don't you feel the if someone said that they had a mark on thier helmet of every plane that they jumped out of (which has been stated before on here) you would think them a little dangerous?? I would.

I think pre-planned no helmet coached jumps in the right wind conditions(with training if the wind changes) are a good thing, if you lost your helmet at 3200ft, you have been there, you know how to react.

An experienced skydiver on these boards said that

"if someone got confused at these altitudes & diden't pull then skydiving wasen't for them"

Right on experienced skydiver type bloke, they would be dead, But training might have helped a little.

This is not a dig at anybody, it's just my thoughts, please correct if needed, correction welcomed.

Mush

[Why, it's a dodgey sport but why do poeple jump in situations when thet can't even protect their head leaving a plane, are you slap dash or something or not properly trained, please explaine to me.

If I can't exit without hitting my head on something, or a least know how to avoid it, I'd be a little worried, or is that just me.

The faster you go, the more helmet you need. I've made a lot of jumps with no helmet, but you have more to be more careful to protect your noggin. The helmet I wear on tandems is all scratched up from students standing me up into the door frame. I also had a bad landing from a canopy collapse once that made me wish for a lot more than a frap hat. My head bounced in the rocks a lot on that one. Then there's also the tandem master who had a riser almost tear off an ear, Van Gogh style. Besides, where else are you gonna put your dytter? And it hurts like hell when you bolt the camera straight to the skull:S

I have a big chunk out of the back of my helmet from the bar on an otter,

Why, it's a dodgey sport but why do poeple jump in situations when thet can't even protect their head leaving a plane, are you slap dash or something or not properly trained, please explaine to me.

The, "Thats just the way it is in this sport", please keep your oppinions to yourself, I'm looking for quility answers here so I can understand.

Solo or two way freefly exits are a bit different than taking an RW piece off a plane. Done any RW piece exits from an Otter? Done any 10 way speed exits? Ever done any competition RW jumps?

My old boss has thousands of jumps. Her fullface took a big hit in the face shield from a teammate's (also with thousands of jumps) elbow on a training jump. Would you say that because her helmet saved her face on that jump that either or both of them were not properly trained?

Shit happens. That's why people who compete in RW wear helmets. That's why people with way more experience than I'll ever have wear helmets. That's why I wear a helmet on the majority of my skydives now. I've done at least a couple hundred jumps with no helmet or just a frap hat (and no AAD!); I choose not to take those risks when I'm jumping with other people any longer.

YMMV.

Besides, where else are you gonna put your dytter? And it hurts like hell when you bolt the camera straight to the skull:S

The dytter thing, on your goggle strap, FOOL, they make stuff for that nowdays, & why would you wear a camera on your helmet if your doing tandems.

Are you all there mate.

He was being funny -- at least I thought he was.
In RW exits the thought of hitting the door in some way that abuses the helmet is not at all unreasonable. I broke a (admittedly cheap) hockey helmet on the door of a DC-3 once. If you fall down ever on a landing (which if you think you might biff is probably better than trying to pull off a standup), then you can mark it.
It's stuff. Who cares if it has scratches. My rig has mud on it too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Mush,

John knows perfectly well that dytters can be put on the goggle strap, he's been around for a lot of "nowadays". I have only seen one person using it this way, perhaps there are problems with it (comfort, flapping in the breeze, not as easy to hear with the extra wind noise).

He doesn't just do tandems. Some might think a person to be a fool for thinking that is all he does.

Hi John!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have over 3800 jumps without a helmet. I have both my ears, and I have no dents in my skull.

Skydiving helmets are complete crap. I see their shattered peices lying about every bounce or relativly low impact head injury I've been at.

If you think, even for a moment that that thing you put on your head will protect you against anything other than abrasion, you're a dreamer.

If forced to choose a helmet for protection, I'd choose a ProTec. Ugly as sin, but if you're wearing a helmet for protection, that's what you should be wearing. Anything else makes you an over confident fashion victim.

Flame away.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I always wear a helmet – it is compulsory in the UK – usually a Z1 full face, although vvv occasionally I wear a frap hat for hop and pops in summer. A full face helmet is (IMHO!) a must in cold weather (i.e. 90% of the year in the UK!) as it helps to keep my head and face warm! ;)

I have only ever jumped without a helmet once (at Quincy on a helicopter lingerie jump :D) and if you have long hair and don’t enjoy brushing knots out I really don’t recommend it :S. I spent something like 3 hours getting the knots out after that one jump and promised myself “never again”!

Vicki

A friend of mine got 6 stiches on his cheak/lip last weekend from a riser seperation. Shit can and does happen in this sport. I almost always wear a helmet.
I will post pic's of the risers when I can scan them.
On a side note, do not use "mini risers" if your exit wheight is over 200lbs!

I always wear one, and it's saved my ass a couple of times.

Two weeks ago there was a guy with 40ish jumps walking to the plane without a helmet on. I asked him why he didn't have one, and he told me his helmet was dirty from when he face planted on landing the jump before:S:S
I got nuthin

Your so wrong...my helmet saved me!!! At about 20 feet I was picked up by a dust devil and landed face first into the ground. I fractured my face in 57 places!! and spent many weeks in the hospital...without the helmet, I might not be here...and also to note....the damage to my face stopped at the point where the helmet did its job. It was an open face aviator helmet....and it did do its job....no dreaming it...I went through it.

Usually not. I did not own a helmet until the 300 way.

I am fine with or without. I normally only wear it when it is very cold or if I am doing a two way with a newbie (Thats just for the audible).

Otherwise, I prefer not to wear it.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

>Skydiving helmets are complete crap.

I know about half a dozen people who are alive today because of their helmets. Some examples:

Molly, who landed face-first after a low turn. Her face was badly broken up until the edge of her helmet; it was fine under her helmet. She had minor brain damage but made a complete recovery.

A FJ student in New York. He was in a plane crash. A piece of the plane penetrated his helmet and went into his scalp, but resulted in only a minor wound.

A guy at the WFFC who landed hard, pitched forward and landed face-first on the concrete. Broke his femur but his face and head were fine (he had a full-face.)

>I see their shattered peices lying about every bounce or relativly low
>impact head injury I've been at.

When they shatter they absorb energy that would have otherwise been trying to shatter your head.

How much do you like your head? :P

Seriously, take a close look at your friends' helmets. Most of those nicks and scuffs didn't come from sitting on the ground. Nor did the jumpers who owned them intend to hit their heads while jumping. I think of every scrape on my bonehead as that many fewer stitches in my scalp.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

But I am still confused about the - EARS being RIPPED OFF thing, can you help here, it seemes to be a general (jump without an helmet, get your eares ripped off thing) do you have any STATS????

Meaningful stats on anything less than a fatality are hard to come by.

I've never seen anyone get their ear literally ripped off, but I have seen a couple quite bloodied. One of them rather badly.
-Josh

If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.