dsbbreck

Would you pay to watch a Swoop Competition?

If the price was reasonable and the talent of the competitors was exceptional, would you pay to watch a swoop competition.

What do you think a fair price for a 3 day event would be?
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

I sat around at Nationals shooting pictures all alone for the better part of a morning since no one else wanted to come out for the practice rounds.

Nothing is my vote, if you start charging you better hope to have whuffos to pay for it since I can watch any day of the weekend for free.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think you're probaby asking the wrong crowd... It's like asking a football player how much they'd be willing to pay to go to a game on they're day off...

Frankly, I'd rather be doing it, then watching it...

btw: I'm talking skydiving in general not swooping (I haven't got enough jumps to start swooping ;) yet.)

Now if you were to ask a bunch of Wuffos you might get a different answer... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I think you're probaby asking the wrong crowd... It's like asking a football player how much they'd be willing to pay to go to a game on they're day off...
Now if you were to ask a bunch of Wuffos you might get a different answer...

Like asking Mick if he wants to sing satisfaction again.

Now if you were to ask a bunch of Wuffos you might get a different answer... B|

You're right. I am aware of that. I was asking people just like you. People who skydive but may not swoop in competition. Example: People who play football for fun do pay to go see a pro game.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

I was asking people just like you. People who skydive but may not swoop in competition.

I don't swoop because I'm not skilled/experienced enough... but like Phreezone said if I want to go watch some swooping I can go to a local DZ and watch... I don't need to pay to do it... (I of at least one Swoop Comp this weekend that I was personally invited to by one of my friends.) ;)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I was asking people just like you. People who skydive but may not swoop in competition.

I don't swoop because I'm not skilled/experienced enough... but like Phreezone said if I want to go watch some swooping I can go to a local DZ and watch... I don't need to pay to do it... (I of at least one Swoop Comp this weekend that I was personally invited to by one of my friends.) ;)

Scott

I am an athlete that 'practices' in several different sports. I snowboard at least 4 days a month but still pay to watch big competitions. I ride and race sportbikes and dirtbikes all the time but I pay BIG at the races.

You can watch anyone practice for free but practice is not competition and that is where it seperates the good from the pro. I gladly pay to watch games, races, and other events so why should I exclude paying for watching a professional swoop competition with sponsors, vendors, and announcers just like any other competition.

I'd pay...

Pros are pros for a reason and it's no different than any other sport. Entrance fees that feed into the winner's purse will in turn help fuel competitor interest and that sounds good to me. Skydiving should take some lessons learned about promotion in other sports and quit acting so self-righteous.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I voted "yes". I'd pay some nominal fee to see a whole bunch of, as quoted, "exceptional" swoopers together in one place.

But that money would probably go on irritating commentators and distracting fluff (especially since in order to make money, you'd have to market it to the eXtreme d00d non-skydiver (and probably non-sporting) set. Which would make me wish I hadn't.

But in principle... sure. 5 bucks?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

In order to charge spectators for an event, you would have to establish the populartiy of an event. You know. Supply and demand stuff. I think swooping is on the way, but not quite there yet. It's closer in the non-skydiver market.

If you are trying to market a paid event to skydivers, I would imagine you should throw in some free tacos and a cheap beer concession. Free food and cheap beer always makes sporting events more fun.

I think a mix of skydivers and non-skydivers as the spectator would be best. They you can kill two birds with one stone. Use the event to promote skydiving by having Tandem skydives readily available to sell. Also, the skydivers will enjoy a show with lot of new people to meet.

If you host a couple/few open house swoop demonstrations and advertise them at colleges, high schools and other sporting venues, then you'll start to peak some interest in the spectator sport. Once the word of mouth get out there a bit and these events are fun to attend, people will easily pay admission.

I'm rambling. My answer was, no... not now. Yes, when the event has new faces, free food and cheap beer. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Lets see.. Rantoul has the pond right next to the whuffo area and even though it is free for spectators to come they only every fill one of those portable bleachers and then a few people. Granted, its not the "world championships" but in years past it used to be a fairly well attended swoop meet. The WFFC dumps large sums of money into local advertising to get people to come out and they can't even hold a crowd there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com