dsbbreck

Would you pay to watch a Swoop Competition?

I swear, this generation of jumpers think they should get paid for everything. >:( They won't coach without $$and you're lucky if they even talk to you and give some general advice. What happened to the days when we all loved to share our wisdom and experiances?

Extreme or Mainstream?

For Great Deals on Gear

I swear, this generation of jumpers think they should get paid for everything. >:( They won't coach without $$and you're lucky if they even talk to you and give some general advice. What happened to the days when we all loved to share our wisdom and experiances?

Hell, why don't they just charge us just to watch them skydive too?

I absolutely agree!

I know some will not want to hear this but most swoopers think other jumpers want to watch them when in fact they really don't give a shit. It's like Hey look at me! Look ma, no hands! And then they are all bummed out cuz no one was watching. Oh Man! You should have seen it, I am sooo cool!

The only time you see swooping on TV shows is when some one crashes. Whuffos don't think you are cool, they think you are an idiot. Perfectly good plane, crashed into a lake, you know the rest.

The only time mainstream people are going to pay to watch skydiving is when they have already paid to see something else like a football game. I really can't believe any skydiver would pay to watch another jumper land a parachute. Hell, I don't even like having to pay for my own jumps[:/]

I know some will not want to hear this but most swoopers think other jumpers want to watch them when in fact they really don't give a shit.

Yep, that's the only reason they do it, just like 4 way competitors think the same, or CReW dawgs, or .......

:|

Whuffos don't think you are cool, they think you are an idiot.

Really? THat's why swoop comps are drawing the general public? Wuffos think most skydivers are idiots who are lucky to live through the landings on those round parachutes.

I for one would not pay, nor would I charge for viewing a swoop comp, but you are just creating annoying stereotypes.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yep, that's the only reason they do it, just like 4 way competitors think the same, or CReW dawgs, or .......

Yep, the 4 way guys want you to watch the video 10 TIMES! Even if you need another beer or have to pee. The CRW dawgs are kinda like the swoopers...Did ya see that, did ya, DID YA? But none of them expect to have people PAY to watch.

I would laugh if I ever saw someone trying to charge spectators....seriously

Well Chuck, start laughing. Here at the world games in Duisburg, Germany, they charged people to watch the skydiving events. The swooping events were a sell out. Not only did wuffos buy tickets but skydivers as well.
The publicity surrounding the event was huge though. TV reports covering local competitors and the likes.

http://www.duisburg.de/worldgames_archiv/en/default.htm
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Really? THat's why swoop comps are drawing the general public?

I would hazard a guess that it is because they have seen some spectacular crashes on the news and are hoping they will see them live. A bit like half the people at the Grand Prix are there secretly hoping there'll be a great big crash (but hopefully everyone walks away from their burning wrecks unscathed).

I know when 'Sports Tonight' does their little bit on a swoop comp, they mainly feature the big stuff-ups, not the cool long swoops.

But maybe I'm just cynical. [:/]

nothing to see here

At the World Games in Germany last year people had to pay to see the skydivers land, there was one big stand for the entire landingfield: accuracy, swoop (the swoopcourse was a loooong way off [:/]), and the freefallers.
Wasn't THAT busy, also had something to do with the amount of tickets available, but yeah, people did pay. No clue how much though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Whatever, the nationals were on ABC's wide world of sports with Bob Beattie back in the 80's

Russ Goodard who was also an NFL player with the San fransico 49'ers was a guest commentator. They had great air to air footage and landings. Most likely some of the best ever shown on national TV..... It was a two hour show with race cars mixed in.

Nobody watched it and that is why it has never been on since. The general public will never "get it" Hell Base jumpers get more press these days.

Get over it.

People will pay to watch you on "Americas funniest home videos" That is the venue.....

Whatever.

Last years Nationals was covered on ESPN. They had air to air of 8 way (with Craig G. doing live cometary IN freefall), and the Swoop Competition.

The Southern California CPC was covered by the Today Show, and LA Times.

The CPC National championships were covered by the Denver Post.

None of the coverage featured crashes. Just because you have a bad attitude about skydiving, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Just because you have a bad attitude about skydiving, doesn't mean everyone else does.

That was a cheap shot. I have devoted most of my life to skydiving and I have brought many new people into the sport. Get over yourself. Skydiving did not begin when you started jumping.

It was about as cheap as the shots you've been taking at those that have a passion for the sport.

Of course the sport didn't start when I picked up a rig, and it you had any idea of the person I am, you'd know how much respect I have for those that came before. Perhapse if you had a bit more respect for those that invest themselves in the sport rather than just take from it, you wouldn't come off bitter.

Yep, the 4 way guys want you to watch the video 10 TIMES! Even if you need another beer or have to pee. The CRW dawgs are kinda like the swoopers...Did ya see that, did ya, DID YA? But none of them expect to have people PAY to watch.

Hey now... wait a minute here... I tend to share my 4-way videos with my family and the guys that were on the jump... but that's about it... I know most people don't give two sh*ts about the points we turned, etc...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Funny!

How many times have I tried to get my family to watch my videos? You would think I was trying to show them baby movies!

Remember that episode of the Flintstones?

And here is pebbly-poo playing with her foot.

And here is me and my 3 buddies going from a compressed accordian to a left hand donut.

Wait! Where are you going? You are going to miss the best part!

Same shit.

Of course we all want people to see our cool stuff. The three biggest egos on the planet are brain surgeons, test pilots and skydivers. And not neccessarily in that order. During year end video time I deluge my family, friends and co-workers with the video, or segments of it. At skydive parties, we all bring our videos out for people to see. I sometimes like to bring out old stuff, partly to show how funny things used to be, and partly to prove I've not always been 300 years old. ;)

But really, have fun with it. Yes, whatever discipline we enjoy, we want people to see our cool stuff and acknowledge it. Back in the day, it was stand up landings. (Hey! I stood it up, didja see that? Didja, Didja, didja???!!!!!) Now it's cool, long swoops. Same stuff, different technology. When I see a young 'un do something cool, I'll give him credit & pat him on the back. On the other hand, if I didn't, well, is it on video? It's not? - too bad, didn't happen.:P

-Mike
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Then you haven't met me... cause I definitely don't feel this way and I think I'm a member of this generation. Of course I suppose the fact that I don't make my money through skydiving (but through something unrelated) probably is a factor.

I didn't mean everyone and I know there is still some of us that do give back as often as possible. I was brought up with the idea that shareing your knowledge is just something that you do for your fellow skydiver (family). But now a days, especially in freeflying that once you have a (local) name for yourself, now you can and do (charge) others for your knowlege and I don't think that's right. Aren't we all still a close knit family as before?

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Extreme or Mainstream?

Both, does it matter?

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live