RJ.

Need some honest opinions

whats up everyone... so heres my deal, i have some friends going skydiving for their first time on May 31st, and i can still sign up to go with them if i want - which i do. heres the catch, my mom is taking us kids to mexico on june 1st, the day after i want to go skydiving. she will lose it if anything happens to me or i get hurt or somethin.

so my question for you guys is, what are the real chances that somethin could go wrong, like even just break my leg or ankle or somethin. it really doesnt worry or matter to me but if i got hurt the day before the family vacation my mom planned she will flip.

thanks!

On every jump there is the odds of getting hurt or killed. We try to stack the odds in our favor to avoid getting hurt but it happens to even the best skydivers. The vast majority of student jumps happen with out injury but the chance is always there to get hurt or killed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I did a tandem on Saturday and my instructor put it in terms that were very easy to understand....

"I have over 16,000 jumps and you need to be able to trust my ability to get you down safely."

I'm not someone who would put my life in someone elses hands, especially after only knowing them for 20 minutes. But, for some strange reason what he told me made sense and I felt a little more comfortable knowing that I was in the hands of a professional. He took his time walking me through every step of the jump which helped quite a bit. Now I'm trying to find out if he'll be my AFF instructor.

The risk is not going to be any different if you jump on the 31st, 2nd, 15th, etc. If you decide you want to do it, I say go for it and trust your instructor.

If its a Tandem with a good instructor then you have you have a very good chance of making the holiday!

If you are doing an AFF level (which I doubt from your post) then you have more chances of things going wrong.
I did only my 8th jump the other day and screwed my ankle up with a cr*p landing (all my own fault)..as a result Im gonna be out of action for another 4-6 weeks B|..and I no way could have gone on holiday the day after it :P
Its annoying But im gonna use the time to get as fit and knowledable as possible. plus lots of tunnel time,.

The chances are about the same as for any other Amusement Park ride. Sure, people sometimes get hurt at the county fair, not not too often. ;)

The sky will always be there. If it worries you even a little bit that you could get hurt then go on the trip and then skydive. A person can get hurt on any jump and there are no guarantees except that you will land. If you want a guartantee buy a toaster.

Either way I hope it works out for you.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I did a tandem on Saturday and my instructor put it in terms that were very easy to understand....

"I have over 16,000 jumps and you need to be able to trust my ability to get you down safely."

I'm not someone who would put my life in someone elses hands, especially after only knowing them for 20 minutes. But, for some strange reason what he told me made sense and I felt a little more comfortable knowing that I was in the hands of a professional. He took his time walking me through every step of the jump which helped quite a bit. Now I'm trying to find out if he'll be my AFF instructor.

The risk is not going to be any different if you jump on the 31st, 2nd, 15th, etc. If you decide you want to do it, I say go for it and trust your instructor.

Simon is a great instructor.

To the OP. You want someone to say you'll be fine.
Looking at the statistics you most likely will be but on every jump there is a chance you may get hurt or die.
If you understand that you can make your choice.
I wouldn't bet that you ar ethe next fatality but they do happen on a rare occasion.

I say you should go with your friends and talk to the instructors/staff. get a feel for it and decide if YOU THINK they are safe enough to put your life in their hands.

Don't let anyone else make the decision for you.

I WOULD bet that if you died AFTER your vacation your mom would be just as crushed as if you died before the trip.

Convenience has nothing to do with safety.:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

your world won't come to an end if you don't go on the 31st, your mom's world will end if you get hurt

as for getting hurt: it depends on where you jump, who you go with, your physical condition, weight, attitude and weather

if all are in your favor then the odds are very much in your favor, but you have no way of evaluating the quality of the DZ, the equipment they use or the ability of the tandem master
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

..it's about as dangerous as a walk to the corner store..

Here we go again. Next, someone is going to tell him skydiving is safer than driving to the DZ.

considering what i have to put up with getting there, i feel safer on any given skydive than on the way to the dropzone. YMMV!

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Here we go again. Next, someone is going to tell him skydiving is safer than driving to the DZ.

considering what i have to put up with getting there, i feel safer on any given skydive than on the way to the dropzone. YMMV!

amen bro. my 3 hour drive to the dz is almost as dangerous as the drive back. everything else in between is pretty manageable.

whats up everyone... so heres my deal, i have some friends going skydiving for their first time on May 31st, and i can still sign up to go with them if i want - which i do. heres the catch, my mom is taking us kids to mexico on june 1st, the day after i want to go skydiving. she will lose it if anything happens to me or i get hurt or somethin.

so my question for you guys is, what are the real chances that somethin could go wrong, like even just break my leg or ankle or somethin. it really doesnt worry or matter to me but if i got hurt the day before the family vacation my mom planned she will flip.

thanks!

You want an honest opinion?

It sounds like you came up with an excuse not to jump with your friends.

My mommy will flip! Whatever.

Do what you want to do. I doubt what is said here, online, will change your mind.

You'll feel bullet proof for a few days after your jump, but Mexico is going to make you shit your pants even more than skydiving.:D

if the fear doesn't get you, the enchiladas will B|
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

1. No instructor can guarantee that you won't be a bone-head, plant your feet on landing, and break your ankles.

2. Not all instructors are the same. I'd definitely point friends and family at specific instructors to jump with and completely forget about some others.

About 17/10,000 skydives result in injury requiring treatment, 6/10,000 trips to the emergency room, and 1.8/10,000 hospitalization.

Tandem fatality rates are very low - less than 1 in 400,000.

Quicker than I expected.B|

Quicker than I expected.B|

my drive takes me along some lakes, up hills on curvy roads, through forests and everything. there are always a lot of bikers. i'm just waiting on the day one of those fuckers takes over without seeing me. or seeing me and taking over anyway. they scare me!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda