Superman32

Would you mention that you are a skydiver?

For most positions, skydiving is more likely to be a detriment than a positive on a resume or in an interview.

Save the skydiving for later conversations. Why distract them from all your fabulous qualifications?

I agree! I would not mention it. When I started jumping I tried, as we all have, to get my friends to try it. Some did, most didnt, I never really thought anything of it but years later they all devulged that they felt like I was trying to talk them into joining a cult. These friends of mine (all of which Ive known since childhood) are all working business professionals (3-insurance, 1-FBI, 1-Golfcourse superint, 1-Verizon "suit", 1-Managing editor for a magazine, 1-Lawyer...). I felt like I was innocently wanting them to experience what I had experienced and loved but it was percieved as some outlandash "crazy" activity.

BTW These friends of mine and I all grew up in Zephyrhills (I didnt start jumping until I grew up and left Z-hills, go figure) so they were exposed to skydiving more that the average person. I can only imagine how someone who DIDNT know me and know about skydiving would have percieved me.

When I first started jumping I was told a joke at the bonfire. -How do you know there is a skydiver in the room? Just wait a couple of minutes and they'll tell you!! ;)

I'm in amazement right now. For anyone that believes you should not mention skydiving in an interview, I'm not sure what kind of positions you are applying for. Myself on the other hand, I have always applied for sales and marketing type positions, and skydiving has been interwoven into my interview pitch. You don't just mention that you like to do it though, that would be irrelevant to the job interview. You have to relate it to an attribute that is desired within the person the interviewer is looking for. For example, a few attributes that are looked for in sales and marketing people are: competitive, high achiever, RISK TAKER, TEAM PLAYER. Of course, you have to show examples of these attributes through past accomplishments within the workplace, but to not mention skydiving would be a missed opportunity to shine above the other rat-race candidates that will bore the shit out of the interviewer.

Who do you think the interviewer is going to remember, the high-achieving skydiver with great work experience or the other guys with great experience and nothing else? Interviews are about building a rapport very quickly that allows you stand out from your peers. Furthermore, I have done every interview: pharma, med device, consulting, etc... From all of the research that I have done on interviewing to be able to go through the gruesome pharma and consulting interviews, all the experts say the same thing. YOU HAVE TO STAND OUT or they are not going to remember your name. So polish up a good response that incorporates skydiving into your interview pitch.

YOU WOULD BE DOING A DISSERVICE TO YOURSELF BY NOT MENTIONING SKYDIVING.

I had an interview about a month ago at National City Bank. They asked "whats the most frightening thing you've done?" and i said stepping out of an airplane for the first time. I didnt get that job because of my lack of customer service skills and what not, but they asked me a million questions about it and said how they always wanted to do it but now they are 45 and have kids and can no longer try it. I then interviewed with New York Life and didnt mention it. Mainly because there was no need to since there were no questions that pertained to it. I did get this job and Im typing from my desk right now. One cool thing I think if you metion it, is it shows that your a somewhat daring and unique individual.

In general, I'd say do not mention it. It will make you stand out; and it might be in a bad way.

Better have a damn good read on your interviewer before you take the chance. Most of the non-skydiving public sees our sport as Club Death Wish.

The fact that they perk up and ask questions and what not might just mean you broke their boredom - not that they think you are suddenly the person for the job.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Sooo.. if it were a job interview, unless my personal/off time activities came up, I don't know that I'd bring it up... However, in my day to day life... conversations with.... heck! anybody! Im ready willing and able to talk about my passion for skydiving. I'll use almost any opportunity that I can to endulge my senses in reliving my most recent or otherwise fun skydive. Besides creating a very large smile on my face, it sometimes encourages someone to take that tandem jump becuz the've always thought about it, but until me, hadnt made the decision. Iam proud of my skydiving status. It helps to describe, somewhat define, part of who I am. And I love to share! Blue skies
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Going into field engineering or manufacturing with aggressive site managers and skilled tradesmen that are into hunting? Plus. Looking to bang a keyboard with a bunch of geeks in a data center for 70 hours a week? Could be a minus-!

I'm one of those geeks banging at a keyboard for way too long, and I used the information in my Interview. I'm a clinical engineer, and they asked about my ability to problem solve, work on a team, commit, etc. all of which skydiving applies to (I didnt use it in all those examples just saying). It actually first came up on the question about a large undertaking that I have done in my life, and I talked about the creation of my universities skydiving club.

It doesn't matter what the job is or who the interviewer is, it is all about your ability to relate your skydiving in a positive manner, and create a since of purpose to it for the interviewer regardless of if they see it as reckless.

Nerds skydive too dam**tt

It really depends where you are applying to work.
For example, mentioning to an army recruiter that you skydive will earn you points (aggressive, brave, etc.), but saying the same thing to an Air Force recruiter will label you as "weird."

Yeah, but the Air Force is not REALLY the military anyway... so who cares?

SkyPainter - Vietnam COMBAT Vet, '66-'67, Mud 'n' Blood, RECON, LRRP.:ph34r:
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Negative perceptions: You're crazy, have a death wish, immature, may die or become incapacitated and therefore not worth the investiment, etc

If this is their reaction, would you really want to work for/with someone that is that judgmental about things they don't really understand? If it doesn't come out in the interview it will surely come out later on, and the snap judgment will just be delayed until then.

My $.02
Arrive Safely

John

My experience in the IT industry, both as an interviewee and and interviewer has been that it is a good thing to mention if it comes up in the conversation. Don't just interject it with no logical segue though.

When I go to interviews, one of the questions I ask the interviewer(s) is what they do outside of work. This answers two questions: 1) does this job give them enough time for outside activities, and 2) will I be able to relate to these people. Ideally, they'll mirror this question back to you or leave an opening in the conversation for you to talk about what you do.

When I'm conducting an interview, I will ask the question even though it's probably skirting the line with HR law. I consider it a good thing when someone engages in team activities where they have to depend on other people and can be depended on by other people. I also want to give the interviewee an opportunity to talk about something they're passionate about even if it isn't related to the job. If nothing in the discussion lights a fire in their eyes, even something they bring up, I'm not likely to hire that person.

I'm rambling. What I've found in my experience in the IT industry is that skydiving is a well respected sport even among those who aren't willing to try it. I don't know how true that holds for other industries.

It's also a useful mnemonic if you can drop it in conversation at networking events. People are more likely to remember meeting you if you've associated yourself with skydiving in their mind.

That's my two cents, but ugh - I'm starting to sound like a marketing guy.
;-p

Hi 32,
I don't "have" to mention it, but if the subject comes up I'll talk about it all you want!! To the whuffo world, Skydiving can be interesting but to a lot of "whuffos" your being a Skydiver intimidates them! I never had much of a problem like that as all the major jobs I've had have been in Aerospace Parachute rigging. Just about everyone I worked with was an active or retired skydiver!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I talk about skydiving regularly. As a minister, one of the things I do is preach sermons. I use skydiving as an illustration. I also talk about it in classes that I do. I am proud and most of the people around me either respect me or are jealous. Only a few really harrass me or think I am stupid.

I don't mention it to my doctor however. He hates skydiving. My friend was lectured so severly by him that he left the appointment in the middle and found a new doc. So that is a subject I don't mention.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

The update:
I was interviewing for med school at the time. I did not have skydiving mentioned on paper but did talk about it during the interviews. Skydiving needs to be brought up under the right light, where you can explain why it is a positive thing.

I'll soon be applying for an Emergency Medicine residency and you can bet the barn I'm mentioning it during the interview and on paper. ER Doc's are kinda different than most :S

Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

This is but one of many interesting hobbies. Several of the prior posts seem to take this a bit too seriously. If you intend to list your hobbies/interests why would you exclude skydiving if it’s one of your activities?

Whenever I interview people, I always end with “tell me a little about yourself and what you do?” I like to think that I’m an interesting person and my wish is that so are the people I work with. If “enjoys walking & reading in my spare time” is the extent to which you enrich your personal life; what are you bringing to your professional endeavours?

I regularly jump with colleagues and friends from the financial sector and have, over prior years, met other jumpers with occupations as diverse as surgeons, judges, physicists, etc. The stereotype that all skydivers have long hair, tattoos and live in VW vans is beginning to become a bit outdated and serving the sport’s image no real benefit. You’d be surprised to know the number of professional people in our sport that effectively “dress down” to fit in. Granted your average dropzone demographics are quite dissimilar to those of a golf or yacht club, but neither is it truly a hippie commune of adrenaline junkies.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Ok, I'll be honest, I haven't read the full thread, but I don't think this has been asked.

Would you put skydiving work experience down on a resume? Such as JM, TI, AFFI, etc?

I put it on mine, but mostly because I'm applying for a teaching position and teaching first jump classes is teaching experience. Different subject, but good opportunity to practice different teaching methods. I described it as a teaching kind of thing, not as a sports/jumping kind of thing.

It depends on how you sell it.

I'm a lab technician or "research associate" and I put skydiving under "hobbies and interests" emphasising the fact that there's rules to adhere to by mentioning the official sounding licence number. Additionally I listed some of the impressive sounding (to whuffo's) things under volunteers' work.

In the interview with a mediator I spent a lot of time answering questions about skydiving and the licences. Of course I emphasised saftey, responsibility and risk-assesment, having carefully chosen the anecdotes I would share beforehand, just in case.

In the second interview, with the company itself, the subject didn't come up so I didn't mention it either.
I got the job.

A few months later, when i actually started the job, I had to tell a safety official about my medical condition.
She gave me a look and knee-jerked "oh, then you cannot work at all with hazardous subst-.."
I cut her off with saying "I can skydive with it" to which she responded with "oh.. then there will be no problem I guess.."
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom