Superman32

Would you mention that you are a skydiver?

Wouldn't the real lesson here be honesty? [:/]

Being honest doesn't mean you waive the right to privacy.

If there is something you wish not to disclose, you have the right to say so, as diplomatically or as bluntly as you see fit given the situation.

Telling somebody something is none of their business is not being dishonest.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Absolutely, there's a difference between no disclosing, and telling them a lie.

I never said anything about privacy? The person said they LIED about how they hurt themselfs, so I said honesty seems to be the better policy. Ofcourse, in his situation, it would be better to tell them "Sorry, it's none of your business."

Although I'm not exactly a skydiver yet, just finished AFF, but when I went on my interview for the job I just got I left the part out of me being a skydiver. I'm in accounting, which is a very conservative environment. By conservative, I mean if they think I'm reckless, which most non-jumpers think of skydiver's, then they would apply that thought to the possible quality of my work. I told them of other hobbies, I just didn't want them to think that I would be careless and reckless in a profession where details and cautiousness are a virtue. It would be different if skydiving wasn't looked at as such an "extreme" sport by outsiders, but then again it is jumping out of an airplane 13k above the earth, so maybe slightly extreme.

Although I'm not exactly a skydiver yet, just finished AFF, but when I went on my interview for the job I just got I left the part out of me being a skydiver. I'm in accounting, which is a very conservative environment. By conservative, I mean if they think I'm reckless, which most non-jumpers think of skydiver's, then they would apply that thought to the possible quality of my work. I told them of other hobbies, I just didn't want them to think that I would be careless and reckless in a profession where details and cautiousness are a virtue. It would be different if skydiving wasn't looked at as such an "extreme" sport by outsiders, but then again it is jumping out of an airplane 13k above the earth, so maybe slightly extreme.

Not all accounting jobs are in a conservative enviornment. It's the company not the profession. I work for a large regional accounting firm and here my skydiving is looked upon very favorably. I've even gotten a shareholder or two to admit they would love to go but actually getting them there to jump would be another matter ;)

I just didn't want them to think that I would be careless and reckless in a profession where details and cautiousness are a virtue.

I'm pretty cautious and attentive to detail when I pack and put my gear on. The fact that all your pack jobs opened so far indicates you are too. :)Just a thought. I realize not everyone would see it that way.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Not all accounting jobs are in a conservative environment. It's the company not the profession. I work for a large regional accounting firm and here my skydiving is looked upon very favorably. I've even gotten a shareholder or two to admit they would love to go but actually getting them there to jump would be another matter ;)

True, I did work at a large firm before this one, and I was able to setup a huge trip for everyone to go do a tandem. We had about 14 people go, it was the talk of the office for a while and everyone knew my name after that. It wasn't looked at poorly, I was just referring to MOST people who don't skydive see it as a reckless sport. Plus at that point I had established myself in the firm and there wouldn't be a question of carelessness. On interviews they make flash judgments on your personality and compare to the job at hand.

I'm pretty cautious and attentive to detail when I pack and put my gear on. The fact that all your pack jobs opened so far indicates you are too. Smile
Just a thought. I realize not everyone would see it that way.

Again, I totally agree. You have to be cautious and pay attention to details in order to skydive, or else you won't be doing it too long. I'm just saying most people not involved in this sport will not see that side of it. They just see the danger. Then once you establish yourself as attentive and not an aggressive risk taker, you might even be able to convince some people you work with to try it out. Just my thoughts.

Haha..to prove my point, I just had an interview today. I mentioned skydiving when she asked "Why should I hire you?" I said "I challenge myself everyday whether at work or outside of work. For example, outside of work I compete in skydiving competitions (thats a lie, but I do skydive)." Her jaw dropped and she started asking questions. At the end of the interview I asked "What stood out about me and what could I do better when interviewing?" She said the skydiving really stood out and she liked the competition, risk taking, achieving side of me and that example I used!

So everyone, please shut up. Mind you, this interview was for a medical sales job. THE HARDEST INTERVIEW THERE IS! AND I WAS OFFERED THE JOB ON THE SPOT!

So everyone, please shut up. Mind you, this interview was for a medical sales job. THE HARDEST INTERVIEW THERE IS! AND I WAS OFFERED THE JOB ON THE SPOT!

I still think it depends on the job. Sales jobs need "risk takers". They don't want some quiet conservative person who just follows the rules. They want someone who gets the job done no matter what, because your bottom line is sales. Not all jobs follow that criteria. Again, I use the term "risk takers" as a representation of a snap judgment most non-jumper interviewers would make.

I still think it depends on the job. Sales jobs need "risk takers". They don't want some quiet conservative person who just follows the rules. They want someone who gets the job done no matter what, because your bottom line is sales. Not all jobs follow that criteria. Again, I use the term "risk takers" as a representation of a snap judgment most non-jumper interviewers would make.

you're totally right.

Not really a skydiver in DZ.com terms but skydiving does occupy the majority of my free waking thoughts (waiting for money and warm weather)

ITS NOT WHAT YOU SAY BUT HOW YOU SAY IT.

You have to sell it right like anything else.

Take a reading on the interviewer, if he has pictures of adventurous activites on his desk you might want to try and subtly work it into the conversation. Many wuffos are curious about it even if they have never done it and will respond positively and it will make you memorable. Some might not like it but I wouldn't want to work there anyways if it's that big a deal. Dont ware a boogie t shirt and announce it right off the bat but if asked about hobbies I wouldn't hesitate to throw it in there. Confidence under pressure, risk management and passion are all positives in most jobs.
Totally depends on the job though (Im a radio DJ so we are all a little weird) Never brought it up in an interview but if asked about hobbies I think it would be a major plus if you sell it right.

this thread has been around for a while but I will bite anyway.

No I would not mention that I am because as a whole... the general populace does not really give a damn if you are or not. When I was a newer jumper (Last year) yes I would of mentioned it because I thought that I was ballsy and thrill seeking and all the other bullshit. Not so much now. (I'm not normally this much of a dick but I am irritated at the very moment).
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

i agree with you in most cases.
i would not walk in and introduce myself as a skydiver.
but if they would ask me what i do on my spare time, what am i going to say?
just sit there looking like a fool?
a "lie" would probably just make things worse if they see trough it.

i also belive that having a hobby or doing something is better than saying you dont do anything, as someone else wrote earlier in the thread.

skydiving for me is beeing (trying) in control and staying calm in high pressure situations.
in theory that is....

I have both my hobbies and one more thing right at the bottom of my resume.

Skydiving, bridge and having been a blood donor ever since I was 18 (this is Europe - we don't get paid).

It's who I am, and I can spin a good story around it.
Johan.
I am. I think.

If you had a really important interview, for a great new job/parternship, or a postgrad professional school, or whatever, would you mention that you are a skydiver?

I'm debating, because it can be seen as positive or negative thing.

Negative perceptions: You're crazy, have a death wish, immature, may die or become incapacitated and therefore not worth the investiment, etc

Positive perceptions: Meticulous, pays attention to detail, energetic, etc

P.S. What are your hobbies or what you do for fun is a possible question and likely to be asked.

Tell me im wrong but it seems like you think about skydiving as a crime...i look at this sport as any other sports...

I would mention it just like I mentioned my tournament paintball experience during my previous job interviews. But I am a videogames producer, so having a similar hobby is kinda expected :)
(On the other hand, sometimes I prefer not to mention my expensive MBA, as it attracts more negative attention back in Eastern Europe. We're living in a weird world...)

Try to gauge the person you are speaking with, then decide if it should be dropped into the conversation.

If you don't have the ability to "read" people, you are not going to go far in your occupation anyhow.

After 30-60 mins speaking with someone, you should have a rough feel if they are the type of person that would find it interesting to know that you possibly have a 5 golf handicap, can kayak class 5 rapids or even skydive.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

My resume states I am a active skydiver, under my hobbies... I would not bring up skydiving unless its under mutual talk... If he states he likes to rock climb, Pilot, or do other extreme activities.... Or if he asks, " IN this job there will be risks... Are you a risk taker...." I am guessing we all can look back and say HELL YEA!
-Eddie B (feel free to message)
www.facebook.com/eddie.d.bryant

My resume states I am a active skydiver, under my hobbies... I would not bring up skydiving unless its under mutual talk... If he states he likes to rock climb, Pilot, or do other extreme activities.... Or if he asks, " IN this job there will be risks... Are you a risk taker...." I am guessing we all can look back and say HELL YEA!

Are you a risk taker or can you responsibly handle dangerous situations?
There is a subtle but important difference.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

.. and having been a blood donor ever since I was 18 (this is Europe - we don't get paid).

What? Come to Germany, (if possible). You get paid €25 for each donation.

Not in it for the money, that's the entire point I'm trying to make.
Johan.
I am. I think.