2 2
wmw999

You can tell you’re getting older…

When the AARP magazine is pretty interesting 

Note for non-USians: AARP is the American Association of Retired Persons; they start cultivating you at 50 — and at 50, you’re just not ready to admit that you’re getting older ^.^

So what else?

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

When all the local newscasters look like high schoolers...

I especially liked it when I realized that I could no longer read or see anything up close again, seemed to have happened overnight too (time compression, another age gift).

Don't even get me going on that damn prostrate!!!

Tim

17 hours ago, wmw999 said:

When the AARP magazine is pretty interesting 

Note for non-USians: AARP is the American Association of Retired Persons; they start cultivating you at 50 — and at 50, you’re just not ready to admit that you’re getting older ^.^

So what else?

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Re:  So what else?

One of the simplest things is to take your high school graduation photo & hold it up next to the mirror.

1958.jpg.d1d2c10244b0023830079b100ccd518b.jpg

2008 - 50 yrs

2008-1.jpg.08f7d9ba9f96e93f48ac4be78881272a.jpg

You are not the same person.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

You’re not the same person on the outside, but some of you is still that person. I reconnected with one of my best friends from high school a couple of years ago; in some ways, we just went right back to being good friends, knowing the insides and way of approaching things. It was interesting. Also good 

Wendy P. 

On 1/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, wmw999 said:

So what else?

1. When you can sit on the toilet and flush to wash your testicles and realize that's the most action you'll get that day. It's like having a pair of socks with quarters in 'em. 

2. You go to Starbucks with a guy half your age and he orders something from the Barista and you have to ask him, "What language is that?"  

3. I forgot what number 3 was. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

1. When you can sit on the toilet and flush to wash your testicles and realize that's the most action you'll get that day. It's like having a pair of socks with quarters in 'em. 

2. You go to Starbucks with a guy half your age and he orders something from the Barista and you have to ask him, "What language is that?"  

3. I forgot what number 3 was. 

Hi Keith,

Uh, somethings are better left unsaid.

Jerry Baumchen

20 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

...You are not the same person.

Jerry Baumchen

No, you aren't.

Author Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull and a LOT of other stuff) often referred to his 'previous self' in the third person, as a different person.
Typically something like "Richard of 1979".

His rationale was that he wasn't the same person today as he was then. 

As a side note, every jumper should read JLS. It's a great description of the mentality and mindset that we have.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

No, you aren't.

Author Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull and a LOT of other stuff) often referred to his 'previous self' in the third person, as a different person.
Typically something like "Richard of 1979".

His rationale was that he wasn't the same person today as he was then. 

As a side note, every jumper should read JLS. It's a great description of the mentality and mindset that we have.

Read when it was first published. 
Great read even now. 

4 hours ago, SethInMI said:

when you want to make TV show references when chatting with your some of your co-workers and realize they weren't alive when the show was on "Cheers" or were 3 years old when it ended "Seinfeld"

Some years ago I made a reference to Steve McQueen. The youngsters around me just looked puzzled and said 'Who?'.

More recently I happened to make another reference to Steve McQueen. The youngsters around me started talking about some current director. I looked puzzled and said 'Who?'.

5 hours ago, SethInMI said:

when you want to make TV show references when chatting with your some of your co-workers and realize they weren't alive when the show was on "Cheers" or were 3 years old when it ended "Seinfeld"

or Caddyshack or Animal House or Cool Hand Luke or Vacation or Christmas Vacation (shitters full) ...

13 hours ago, TampaPete said:

or Caddyshack or Animal House or Cool Hand Luke or Vacation or Christmas Vacation (shitters full) ...

I have a Porsche 928. It's fairly uncommon and obscure. The biggest cultural reference is the movie "Risky Business" (it was Tom Cruise's dads car that got dropped in Lake Michigan).

When someone asks 'what kind of car is that?' I usually ask if they've ever seen it.

Some have, some haven't. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:35 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

I have a Porsche 928. It's fairly uncommon and obscure. The biggest cultural reference is the movie "Risky Business" (it was Tom Cruise's dads car that got dropped in Lake Michigan).

When someone asks 'what kind of car is that?' I usually ask if they've ever seen it.

Some have, some haven't. 

You just haven't lived until you've been chased by Guido the Killer Pimp.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ryoder said:

You just haven't lived until you've been chased by Guido the Killer Pimp.

Meh. If you can't outrun a Caddy in a 928, you really need to learn to drive.

On a side note, the actual 928 used in the movie (one of them, anyway - not the shell that went swimming) sold for nearly $2 million back in September. 

The provenance of Rebecca DeMornay having sat in the seats jacked the value up quite a bit.