2 2
wmw999

You can tell you’re getting older…

(Pardon the momentary hijack, but...)

On 1/28/2022 at 6:35 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

I have a Porsche 928. It's fairly uncommon and obscure. The biggest cultural reference is the movie "Risky Business" (it was Tom Cruise's dads car that got dropped in Lake Michigan).

6 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

On a side note, the actual 928 used in the movie (one of them, anyway - not the shell that went swimming) sold for nearly $2 million back in September. 

The provenance of Rebecca DeMornay having sat in the seats jacked the value up quite a bit.

I always find it curious when 'movie' cars are mentioned. As Joe inferred, there are often several of them. They have the 'hero' car, which they keep pristine, which is used by the actor or second unit for standard driving shots, pulling into or out of parking spots, and what-not. Then they might have one or several others that they use for stunts or chase scenes. And yes, a shell car is used for dropping into lakes or whatever. So when an article mentions a movie car, I always wonder which one. I remember reading an article about the convertible GTX that was used in seasons 2 & 3 (?) of Mannix, before they changed to the Challenger. When they were done with it, some secretary at the studio bought it. No one thought about it ever being collectible, the secretary just liked it and bought it for personal use. Can't remember what they said it was worth today.

And while it's cool to watch, I always cringe when movies destroy classic cars. There are only so many of those left. How many old Chargers were trashed by the Dukes of Hazzard TV show?

Anyway, caring about any of that probably indicates my getting old(er)...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Meh. If you can't outrun a Caddy in a 928, you really need to learn to drive.

On a side note, the actual 928 used in the movie (one of them, anyway - not the shell that went swimming) sold for nearly $2 million back in September. 

The provenance of Rebecca DeMornay having sat in the seats jacked the value up quite a bit.

Hi dude,

Many yrs ago I read about the Beige/Brown Pontiacs that they used in The Rockford Files.  They had a couple but kept wrecking them.  Then they had to go out & buy more & paint them the proper color.  Steady work for the paint crew.

Jerry Baumchen