1 1
brenthutch

Just a reminder

(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, SkyDekker said:

Completes a bankruptcy prior to December 31, 2019...

Do you mean a bankruptcy petition is filed?  (That's not "completed", for sure...)  A plan of reorganization is accepted by the court?  (Closer...)  Or that the debts of the bankrupt estate (probably a debtor in possession in this case) are discharged?  (Closest to "completed" of these three.) 

Some of those are almost impossible to do prior to December 31, 2019 (given the Bankruptcy Code's filing deadlines), even if they started yesterday.

Edited by Skwrl

(edited)
2 hours ago, Skwrl said:

Do you mean a bankruptcy petition is filed?  (That's not "completed", for sure...)  A plan of reorganization is accepted by the court?  (Closer...)  Or that the debts of the bankrupt estate (probably a debtor in possession in this case) are discharged?  (Closest to "completed" of these three.) 

Some of those are almost impossible to do prior to December 31, 2019 (given the Bankruptcy Code's filing deadlines), even if they started yesterday.

Well, that would have been all open for discussion. Including if a reorganization following a filing would really be a bankruptcy as foreseen by OP.

Edited by SkyDekker

Oh, BTW, did anyone notice this rather small award?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2013-tesla-model-s-beats-chevy-toyota-cadillac-ultimate-car-of-the-year/

We are confident that, were we to summon all the judges and staff of the past 70 years, we would come to a rapid consensus: No vehicle we've awarded, be it Car of the Year, Import Car of the Year, SUV of the Year, or Truck of the Year, can equal the impact, performance, and engineering excellence that is our Ultimate Car of the Year winner, the 2013 Tesla Model S.

It probably would if the US tax credit was equivalently $30,000 like in HK. But the current tax credit is $1875 so it probably wont make a significant difference when it finally fades away. Not saying it won't make any difference. But look at the sales in the rest of the world without an incentive. Tesla is doing just fine there.

23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Hmm.  It takes about 280 pounds to pull a fully loaded railcar at low speeds, and there is no doubt that these were specially prepared (brand new bearings, rails leveled etc) - so call it 200 pounds per car.  That's 2000 pounds total force needed - which doesn't sound like that much.  Most automatics and pretty much all EV's are going to be able to do that, due to the torque available at low speeds.  For manual transmission vehicles it will depend on how much clutch you have left to burn.

But the hard part of towing stuff is the power you need at speed, with all that drag back there.  That's where low range EV's will have problems, since their range could be cut in half.  (That's a problem with all tow vehicles, but since it's rare to see a gas vehicle with less than 200 miles native range, it's usually not a big problem.)

1 hour ago, billvon said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Hmm.  It takes about 280 pounds to pull a fully loaded railcar at low speeds, and there is no doubt that these were specially prepared (brand new bearings, rails leveled etc) - so call it 200 pounds per car.  That's 2000 pounds total force needed - which doesn't sound like that much.  Most automatics and pretty much all EV's are going to be able to do that, due to the torque available at low speeds.

I chuckled a bit to myself when I first saw the video a couple days ago, not because I understand the mechanics/physics but because I work with bullshit advertisers and have seen those videos with "strong men" pulling trucks and planes with their mouths or tow ropes wrapped around their genitals.  I think there was even a Malaysian man that pulled a train with his teeth. 

It's not like they're going to list a towing capacity of a million pounds, but alas, these are the somewhat manipulative techniques that are apparently necessary to sell various products and political ideologies like climate change and green tech among other things.  And I'm not trying to say that everything about AGW is bullshit, but at some point they're going have to start talking about the "cooler side" of green tech if they want to appeal to the masses.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, headoverheels said:
23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

...pulling trucks and planes with their mouths or tow ropes wrapped around their genitals. 

Ah, the ambiguity of sentences with "or" in them.

lol, I just saw that too!  Maybe I should've added a comma.

Edited by Coreece

On 7/30/2019 at 5:02 PM, billvon said:

Hmm.  It takes about 280 pounds to pull a fully loaded railcar at low speeds, and there is no doubt that these were specially prepared (brand new bearings, rails leveled etc) - so call it 200 pounds per car.  That's 2000 pounds total force needed - which doesn't sound like that much.  Most automatics and pretty much all EV's are going to be able to do that, due to the torque available at low speeds.  For manual transmission vehicles it will depend on how much clutch you have left to burn.

But the hard part of towing stuff is the power you need at speed, with all that drag back there.  That's where low range EV's will have problems, since their range could be cut in half.  (That's a problem with all tow vehicles, but since it's rare to see a gas vehicle with less than 200 miles native range, it's usually not a big problem.)

An engineer does the math: 

I think we're missing something big here...styling.  The S looks are getting pretty long in the tooth.  I actually never liked the look from the beginning.  Elon will have to work on the style soon. Re-tooling will dig into the profits for sure.

Parking is another issue.  That's one fat, wide car.  Door dings abound.  Current parking spaces are a bit narrow for the S

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

Parking is another issue.  That's one fat, wide car.  Door dings abound.  Current parking spaces are a bit narrow for the S

Nonsense. If every soccer mom can drive an F150 round, thats significantly bigger than an S

Looks are more subjective, I think the S is still one of the better looking cars on the road. (The X much less so). Having said that, facelifts are part of the car life cycle, I'd be extremely surprised if there wasn't a refresh waiting in the wings.

9 hours ago, airdvr said:

Way smaller than the SUV's and minivans I see in the school parking lot.  If soccer moms can deal with them . . .

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/vehicles/jay-leno-gas-cars-versus-electric-vehicles

If a Tesla can convince a historically gear-headed/gas person like Jay Leno, the rest of the auto industry better be very scared. All it takes is actually driving & living with an electric car to change people's minds.

Oh, and I just received an update to my car last night to improve functionality. Show of hands who also had their car updated (for free) in the past month. No reason, indeed.