1 1
brenthutch

Just a reminder

On 8/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, Stumpy said:

It's been slow so far because the vehicles have been somewhat niche. Thats going to change quite significantly I reckon in the next 2-3 years from the numbers of cars I see nearing release.

And interestingly, electric cars are now outperforming gas cars in a number of competitive environments.

We are a few months into a new 3 year arrangement on a car. I suspect our next one won't have a fuel tank.

The next car I get will be all electric.  I'm content that we're there, I do the kind of driving that suits it well and the fuel cost can't be beat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

And here's Brenthutch praying that the US loses a little more of the trade war.  Perhaps some day everything you buy will be made in China!   You can only hope.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/investing/stocks/tesla-s-main-product-isn-t-cars-it-s-subsidies-14769263

This is what I have had a problem with

(edited)
33 minutes ago, billvon said:

Someday you'll look at them just like all the subsidies you love.

You mean the billions in subsidies the oil and gas industry provide to federal, state and local governments in the form of confiscated income?

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

You mean the billions in subsidies the oil and gas industry provide to federal, state and local governments in the form of confiscated income?

You're right!  Let's end all the subsidies for the solar and wind industries; instead we just won't confiscate their income.  We'll increase your taxes to compensate.  I am sure you'll be OK with that; it solves all the problems neatly.

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

You're right!  Let's end all the subsidies for the solar and wind industries; instead we just won't confiscate their income.  We'll increase your taxes to compensate.  I am sure you'll be OK with that; it solves all the problems neatly.

Wind and solar income?  LOL.  To be clear I am conflating income with profits.  (Not the same but close enough for arguments sake)

I know they didn’t teach you this in engineering school, but income/profit confiscation IS taxation.

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I know they didn’t teach you this in engineering school, but income/profit confiscation IS taxation.

Then let's stop the evil confiscation of any tax income from solar/wind companies, and from the costs thereof.  Problem solved.

On 8/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, brenthutch said:

LOL, as if wind and solar companies contribute anything substantial to the tax base. 

Right.  And semiconductors don't contribute anything either.  LOL!

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers" - Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" - Ken Olsen, Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, billvon said:

Right.  And semiconductors don't contribute anything either.  LOL!

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home" - Ken Olsen, Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

Funny thing about that is people  were already starting to have computers in their homes by 1977.  There was a retail computer store on Shattuck Ave.in Berkeley in 1977 when I was a post-doc at UCB.  

I still have Apple II, serial number 567, in my basement at home.  Apple lives and DEC is defunct.

Edited by kallend
On reflection, the computer store was on University, not Shattuck

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

==============================

U.S. Auto Sales: Ford, GM Sales Shrink In Q2 As Key Pickup Truck Sales Slow

7/03/2019

Ford Motor (F) on Wednesday joined General Motors' (GM) in reporting that U.S. auto sales shrank in the second quarter, with their key F-series and Silverado pickup trucks falling along with passenger cars. Ford stock rose Wednesday and GM stock fell.

=================

Vigil held for three members of Bridgeton family killed in Franklin crash

Published 9:28 p.m. ET July 8, 201

. . . .

Mariela Cardoso-Baez, 19, was driving her family home after they visited a restaurant in Berlin, family members said during a prayer gathering Monday.

Cardoso-Baez was headed south on Lake Road when the family’s 2005 Mazda M3 collided with the truck traveling west on the Boulevard. The car was pinned under the truck, which overturned and hit a utility pole bringing down electric lines.

The teen, and her parents Jose Cardoso, 44, and Adriana Baez Mellado, 45, were pronounced dead at the scene.

====================

Expect Delays Heading Off Cape After SUV Catches Fire Near Sagamore Bridge In Bourne

September 3, 2019 at 12:41 pm

BOURNE (CBS) – An SUV caught fire near the Sagamore Bridge in Bourne at about noon on Tuesday. Police said drivers heading off Cape Cod after Labor Day weekend can expect delays and heavy traffic.

Photos from the scene show flames fully engulfing the vehicle, creating thick black smoke. It happened near the Christmas Tree Shops on Route 6.

===========================

Meanwhile:

Tesla Model 3 Was #1 “Most-Considered Luxury Model” In Q2 In USA

August 30th, 2019 by Johnna Crider 

According to Kelley Blue Book Brand Watch, Tesla wrote the luxury vehicle story in the second quarter of 2019. Kelley Blue Book Brand Watch produces a report that shows how consumers shop. It determines how a brand measures up against their competitors. Let’s look at their report for the Tesla Model 3.

It's official. The network effect is in full swing and organic demand for Tesla Model 3 is taking off.#Model3 was the "No. 1 most-considered luxury model in Q2" according to @KelleyBlueBook. Those are potential buyers, not reservation holders. $TSLA

The report details that consideration for luxury SUVs and cars are on equal footing. Usually, those shopping for a luxury vehicle have often preferred cars to SUVs, but now we are seeing essentially equal balance. Overall, 8 cars are in the top 15. The Tesla Model 3 is number one.

“For the first time ever, Model 3 soared to the top luxury car position, dethroning BMW 3 Series.”

========================

https://insideevs.com/news/368497/tesla-model-3-s-x-sales-august-2019/

"Our estimates show that Tesla delivered some 13,150 Model 3 to U.S. buyers in August 2019. That's a wee bit down from the 13,450 Model 3s to U.S. buyers in July 2019. And it's substantially down from the 21,225 delivered in June"

Wow, who could have predicted that Tesla sales would tank after the subsidies were reduced?  Oh yeah, I did.  Just imagine what will happen in 2020, when they are no longer subsidized by the American taxpayer.  

On 9/5/2019 at 4:15 PM, brenthutch said:

https://insideevs.com/news/368497/tesla-model-3-s-x-sales-august-2019/

"Our estimates show that Tesla delivered some 13,150 Model 3 to U.S. buyers in August 2019. That's a wee bit down from the 13,450 Model 3s to U.S. buyers in July 2019. And it's substantially down from the 21,225 delivered in June"

It's worth remembering that Tesla sell cars all over the world and not just in the USA. 

Tesla Model 3 was UK's third bestselling car in August https://www.theguardian.com6/technology/2019/sep/05/tesla-model-3-was-uk-third-best-selling-car-in-august?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Edited by ScottishJohn

14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

2082?  Ford makes more pickup trucks in one day then all of the Teslas sold in the UK in an entire month.

Sounds like Tesla should start making trucks...

Those of us that need trucks, would welcome one from them, especially given the current price of new trucks.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:15 AM, brenthutch said:

Wow, who could have predicted that Tesla sales would tank after the subsidies were reduced?  Oh yeah, I did.  Just imagine what will happen in 2020, when they are no longer subsidized by the American taxpayer.  

A lot of US companies would be in trouble if not for corporate welfare, including some of your favorites.  And there are also the hidden subsidies, like passing on the cost of environmental cleanup to the American taxpayer, that benefit your favorites.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-nurburgring-lap-time-vs-porsche-taycan/

Yet another win for Tesla. Unofficial results for sure, but still. Once again proves even legacy "performance" car manufacturers can't seem to compete with the Tesla design team.

With the introduction of its Plaid Powertrain and three-motor setup for the Model S sedan and Model X SUV, Tesla appears to be setting the stage for the release of a line of vehicles that are excellent both in a straight line and on the track. Together with the next-generation Roadster, Tesla’s Plaid Model S and X will likely establish once more that electric cars are simply superior to their gasoline and diesel-powered counterparts in every metric.

I personally can't wait (and wish I have the money) for the next gen roadster. If they can do this with a passenger car, imagine what can be done with a specific built sports car.

38 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

"www.teslarati.com" is a CNAME record pointing to "teslarati-com-edge.ntv.io", which does not exist.

But here is a link to the story: https://jalopnik.com/tesla-may-have-already-crushed-porsches-ev-nurburgring-1838179307

Teslas are marvel of modern engineering and design, that goes without saying.  I just don't like the government subsidies for what can only be described as an upper middle class toy/car.  I also don't think their stock price can be supported by their abysmal sales results.   Also it only about one second faster than a petrol fueled Honda Civic.

Edited by brenthutch

On 9/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, brenthutch said:

I just don't like the government subsidies for what can only be described as an upper middle class toy/car. 

The tax credits were for any electric car manufacturer if that is what you are referring to, so if you are annoyed at them it is not Tesla that should get your vitriol but any manufacturer of electric cars. I would say that at this point the credits seem to be doing what they were intended, which is jump start that market. Tesla has brought a lot of $ to the US in terms of jobs, so seems like a win for the USA at this point, as most of Tesla's buyers would have bought European or Japanese cars if they didn't have Tesla as an option.

As far as only 1 second faster than a Civic, that is misleading. I assume you mean in 0-60mph time, and 5.3 sec vs 6.3 sec is a lot more noticeable in terms of power than 1 sec would imply.