RonD1120

"These Americans"

America's best days will come when all people are allowed to work to achieve their potential, regardless of gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. It will come when Americans are more concerned with the values that unite them than they are with petty differences that divide. It will come when Americans realize they are stronger when they are willing to lend each other a helping hand up, not a fist to keep "those scary people*" down. (*scary being anyone who does not look or think like me, or go to the same church, or come from the same part of the country or socioeconomic class)

America was not at its best when any group of people were entitled to success they had not earned, simply by virtue of birthright. Some people may lament that lost advantage, and feel angry that they may have to earn privileges they once took for granted, or have to share them with others who have a different pigmentation, religion, or preference in love. Too bad. When America was founded it fell far short in practice from the ideals it espoused in principle. Reluctantly, step by step, often with literal or figurative conflict, Americans are being dragged (more or less) towards the practice of those ideals, and they are better for it.

Don

America was not at its best when any group of people were entitled to success they had not earned, simply by virtue of birthright. Some people may lament that lost advantage, and feel angry that they may have to earn privileges they once took for granted, or have to share them with others who have a different pigmentation, religion, or preference in love. Too bad.

I think lost privilege is a major unspoken issue in this campaign. Trump, who represents white older mainstream-establishment men, talks in veiled terms about how to get that privilege back from the blacks, and the women, and the immigrants, and the gays. Build walls to keep them out! Arrest them! Make them obey police! Keep them in their place!

Many of his supporters, I think, believe that these groups have been unjustly taking their privilege away from them. They shudder to think of a world where they are judged on a level playing field with an immigrant who will work harder for less money, for a gay or black man who they have more trouble relating to, or to a woman who (they believe) should not be in the same role as they are. Thus when he makes statements disparaging women, or against legal immigration, or attacking blacks, his ratings go up within those groups.

GeorgiaDon

America's best days will come when all people are allowed to work to achieve their potential, regardless of gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation. It will come when Americans are more concerned with the values that unite them than they are with petty differences that divide. It will come when Americans realize they are stronger when they are willing to lend each other a helping hand up, not a fist to keep "those scary people*" down. (*scary being anyone who does not look or think like me, or go to the same church, or come from the same part of the country or socioeconomic class)

America was not at its best when any group of people were entitled to success they had not earned, simply by virtue of birthright. Some people may lament that lost advantage, and feel angry that they may have to earn privileges they once took for granted, or have to share them with others who have a different pigmentation, religion, or preference in love. Too bad. When America was founded it fell far short in practice from the ideals it espoused in principle. Reluctantly, step by step, often with literal or figurative conflict, Americans are being dragged (more or less) towards the practice of those ideals, and they are better for it.

Don

Very nicely put. You should apply to be a speech writer for Trump. Way better than anything that ever came out of his mouth.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I got to the bit where he said dads can't work hard during the week then take their kids to Dairy Queen and the beach anymore - "that America is gone!"

Is that true? No-one goes to Dairy Queen or the beach these days?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>I got to the bit where he said dads can't work hard during the week then take
>their kids to Dairy Queen and the beach anymore - "that America is gone!"

He is absolutely right. Where I live, I am forced to work hard all week and then take my kids to Baskin-Robbins and the beach. Sometimes Roberto's and the beach, or even Chipotle and the Marine air museum. (They seem to like the airplanes.) It is surely the End of Days.

we survived 8 years of GWB, and all those 'haters' survived 8 years of BHO. We will be just fine, the numbers are good, people are working for the most part. We have things to improve on, and you still have your guns.

get over it, vote and participate in the fucking process rather that hang onto your bible and bitch about it.

rehmwa

I'm eating a Blizzard right now and watching the Ryder Cup

Well, you may be 4-0 up right now but remember the miracle at Medina ;) Americans can't play golf anymore, that America is gone! It's gone! It's gone I say!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

I think lost privilege is a major unspoken issue in this campaign. Trump, who represents white older mainstream-establishment men, talks in veiled terms about how to get that privilege back from the blacks, and the women, and the immigrants, and the gays. Build walls to keep them out! Arrest them! Make them obey police! Keep them in their place!

Trump only represents himself - a spoiled, entitled, blowhard scam-artist who had a fortune handed to him on a plate.

The people who support him are stupid sadly mistaken if they think he represents them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

jakee

I got to the bit where he said dads can't work hard during the week then take their kids to Dairy Queen and the beach anymore - "that America is gone!"

Is that true? No-one goes to Dairy Queen or the beach these days?

It is for me. I'm retired and my kids have all gone out into the world.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

One thing is certain, HRC doesn't represent me anymore than BHO represented me. We are dealing with anger not representation. Telling us that our emotions are not statistically significant does not help.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

One thing is certain, HRC doesn't represent me anymore than BHO represented me. We are dealing with anger not representation. Telling us that our emotions are not statistically significant does not help.

Based on your posts here, and on Trump's words, I would say that Despicable Donald does come the closest of the candidates to representing you. This actually reflects badly upon both of you. Although if it were up to me I'd probably choose you for POTUS over Trump. At least you are genuine.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Your anger matters no more and no less than that of
  • Hispanic and black shoppers who are automatically treated as potential shoplifters rather than as valued customers
  • women who are treated as automatically subordinate and interrupted, overruled, and overridden in business situations
  • law-abiding American Muslims who have to listen quietly while others talk crap about Islamic precepts without any knowledge

All of them are American. All of them have the right to be angry. And all of them deserve an America that allows them to pursue their dreams, not just the leftovers from what the people due to race, gender, or religion (or anything else) in front took.

Wendy P.
    There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

It's not the job of the President to "represent you". That's what Congress is for (you know, the "House of Representatives).

It's the job of the President to lead the country.

And doing that with anger is pretty poor leadership. Trump has demonstrated that he has just about every trait of the stereotypical "bad boss". Lashing out in anger, refusing to listen, refusing to admit when he is proven wrong, claiming credit for stuff he didn't do, all that stuff. His version of the speech vs what really happened (and is available on video) at the church in Flint MI is a perfect example.

Trump would have a hard time leading a three year old to the toilet, let alone the entire country.
    "There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wmw999

Your anger matters no more and no less than that of

• Hispanic and black shoppers who are automatically treated as potential shoplifters rather than as valued customers
  • women who are treated as automatically subordinate and interrupted, overruled, and overridden in business situations
  • law-abiding American Muslims who have to listen quietly while others talk crap about Islamic precepts without any knowledge

All of them are American. All of them have the right to be angry. And all of them deserve an America that allows them to pursue their dreams, not just the leftovers from what the people due to race, gender, or religion (or anything else) in front took.

Wendy P.

• I am not rioting in the streets, killing LEOs, burning my neighborhood down.

I have been treated as automatically subordinate and interrupted, overruled, and overridden in business situations. Frequently, by women in management positions. I worked in the social services. I was a minority.

I am not like law-abiding American Muslims who have to listen quietly while others talk crap about Islamic precepts without any knowledge. I speak up against what is wrong. Radical Muslims want to kill us. Moderate Muslims don't try to stop them.

There is a difference.
    Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Your being treated as a subordinate was not unacceptable and demeaning; it's what happens to anyone who isn't a white male in most work situations much of the time. You noticed it because it was an aberration for someone like you. You might have worked with a jerk, but that's not gender-specific. I've had bad managers and co-workers of both genders.

The vast majority of people of color don't riot in the streets; the fact that they're disproportionately treated with suspicion would tend to make them disproportionately angry. And the fact that most take it in stride and move on (while, yes, seething inside some) is a testament to their patience.

The vast majority of Muslims don't, in fact, "fail to condemn." They just don't do so in media that you choose to look at. Recent public condemnations probably didn't show up in Blaze or Fox, huh? What do you expect, them to come to your (self-admittedly) unfriendly-to-Muslims neighborhood and knock on doors to tell you, personally, how much they're against terrorism?

There are far more Muslim than Christian victims of radical Islamic terrorism. They're just not in the US, so I guess they don't count, huh.

I'm angry, too. Angry at having been told in the past that I wasn't qualified for multiple jobs because I am a woman. Angry at being ignored in meetings, or not included (probably because I am a woman). Angry at being told that I contribute to a situation is based in large part on what I look like. And I'm relatively intelligent, was never bad-looking, etc. Imagine how much worse it would have been had I been a "fat cow," or a "dumb broad," or worse, a minority? I don't blame men, I just try to live and be the change I expect from others. I went to meetings prepared, and volunteered to lead unpopular ones -- the leader ALWAYS gets to speak :P

Your anger is no more and no less important than mine. The FACT that it's been over-valued because of its source (the guys who traditionally ruled the roost) does not increase its value. And the fact that one of the reasons for the "decreasing opportunities" is the fact that there are simply more people competing for the opportunities (i.e. a larger pool of applicants because they now include people not like you) is just reality.

Reality goes along with more expensive but better medical care, more expensive but better cars, safer but more controlled roadways, lots of things. Life will never be the same as it ever was. Never has been, never will be.

Rant over

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)