wolfriverjoe

North Carolina Anti-anti-discrimination law

TriGirl

I don't think the average straight kid in middle or high school is going to carry the prank that far, for exactly that reason.

so maybe this would work to get to see boobs

but girls talk to each other when weirdness happens

so hopefully the average horny teenage boy realizes that if he succeeds doing this to see some boobs, he will be ruining his chance to ever HOLD some boobs later while at this school - I'm just sayin'

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

There is NO law that will abso-fucking-lutely prevent all possibility of abuse.
So, is it better to:
1. allow the occasional perv or horny teenager into the ladies' room (trust me, this doesn't go both ways :D)
2. prevent the trans-man or trans-woman who doesn't look convincing from going into the room they feel more comfortable in

because, well, the trans-man or trans-woman who does look convincing will ignore that law. I mean, really. So, whose feelings are more important, and whose feelings are more likely to be assaulted:
1. Transgender who aren't all that convincing (plenty of anecdotal evidence here)
2. Pervs who want a gander at tits or ass (no a lot of evidence, and they can already dress as convincing women).

Maybe the deal is you just don't look at other people in the rest room real hard, and anyone who is looking real hard is either a perv (or horny teenager -- small difference there), or someone who just gets all bent out of shape because Mommy, they're not obeying the rules!

As the aunt of someone who came out as TG during high school, this isn't something you do on a whim. And in this case, there was an amazingly supportive set of parents and high school community, and still plenty of angst.

People who don't feel right with gender are making a HUGE and socially unacceptable statement. That takes (ahem) balls. More than I have.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

normiss

Entirely disagree with that generalization.
Some of us were taught manners, respect, and control.

Ah, the good ole days, when these simple civics lessons were taught at home, AND reinforced at school (I'm sure if one of your teachers caught some kid showing such disrespect to his female classmates, he wouldn't have forgotten the lesson!)

ETA -- too few homes teach these basic lessons to kids these days, and woe to the teacher who tries to enforce a code of behavior! [:/]
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

wolfriverjoe

Do you really think that a boy would go through the harassment that would come from pretending to be TG just to get a look inside the girls locker room?

I don't get the impression TriGirl thinks that at all. That is, however, the "danger" of which NC lawmakers claim to be afraid, that guys will pretend to be transsexual in order to gain access to women's restrooms/locker rooms.

It is, as you point out, an unreasonable fear.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

The solution is simple: Any kid that goes into the other restroom and claims to be TG, you treat them as TG.

If they're serious, it's very supportive. If they were lying, they'll quickly admit it (repeatedly, maybe the authority figure should claim to not believe their denial for a bit more too ;)) and then have a better understanding.

This will also be a positive example for both future TG and a negative one for fake TG pranksters.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

The solution is simple: Any kid that goes into the other restroom and claims to be TG, you treat them as TG.

Why should transgender people be treated any different from cisgender people? They're both just people, equally entitled to dignity. That's what the anti-LGBT crowd just doesn't get.

From what I understand NC took control of a situation that was headed for conflicting individual city ordinances. Their strategy now is to tie it up in the courts which has the effect of no change for a period of time. It will likely end up in the SCOTUS.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

From what I understand NC took control of a situation that was headed for conflicting individual city ordinances. Their strategy now is to tie it up in the courts which has the effect of no change for a period of time. It will likely end up in the SCOTUS.

Isn't it great that hundred's of thousands of dollars of tax revenue is going to be used on who can use which washroom?

Well, that was just a potty parity issue, not TG. They got strict on enforcement because of all the bathroom hoopla. And they're probably blaming that on the liberals and TG, because otherwise they'd just kind of ignore it like they usually do (as it said in the article)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jcd11235

***The solution is simple: Any kid that goes into the other restroom and claims to be TG, you treat them as TG.

Why should transgender people be treated any different from cisgender people? They're both just people, equally entitled to dignity. That's what the anti-LGBT crowd just doesn't get.

If somebody is born one gender, they will be treated as that gender. Until a TG person states they're TG and starts to transition how is someone to know they don't want to be treated as their birth gender?

RonD1120

There are only two ways to make social connections for survival. One is bars and the other is churches. There are no bars up here. You meet folks in church who help you get what you need. It takes about one year to gain acceptance.

You're probably not too far away, but I still have family down there that I last visited about 10 years ago around the beginning of life for me - Blueridge along the Tocoaa. I liked the area - not much different than up here in northern Michigan with the national forest and the Ausable - abundant life, especially the outdoor life.

The one thing that bugged me however was this unsettling eeriness about the place. I don't know how to explain it, but there was like a lurking evil everywhere. I know the area had a problem with wild pagans and witchcraft - weird shit, so maybe that had something to do with it? Not sure if you experienced anything like that down there. . .just wondering.

I have some wild stories I'd like to talk to you about, but it's probably best done in private for now.

One thing is for sure - it seems they're fighting an evil down there that I've never really experienced before. They say the devil went down to Georgia, and part of me thinks he never left.
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

Bolas

If somebody is born one gender, they will be treated as that gender. Until a TG person states they're TG and starts to transition how is someone to know they don't want to be treated as their birth gender?

Why do you believe that both genders should not be treated equally?

jcd11235

***If somebody is born one gender, they will be treated as that gender. Until a TG person states they're TG and starts to transition how is someone to know they don't want to be treated as their birth gender?

Why do you believe that both genders should not be treated equally?

They should but public changing areas and restrooms are generally "separate but equal." :P

Coreeece

***There are only two ways to make social connections for survival. One is bars and the other is churches. There are no bars up here. You meet folks in church who help you get what you need. It takes about one year to gain acceptance.

You're probably not too far away, but I still have family down there that I last visited about 10 years ago around the beginning of life for me - Blueridge along the Tocoaa. I liked the area - not much different than up here in northern Michigan with the national forest and the Ausable - abundant life, especially the outdoor life.

The one thing that bugged me however was this unsettling eeriness about the place. I don't know how to explain it, but there was like a lurking evil everywhere. I know the area had a problem with wild pagans and witchcraft - weird shit, so maybe that had something to do with it? Not sure if you experienced anything like that down there. . .just wondering.

I have some wild stories I'd like to talk to you about, but it's probably best done in private for now.

One thing is for sure - it seems they're fighting an evil down there that I've never really experienced before. They say the devil went down to Georgia, and part of me thinks he never left.

Last month my wife and I went to see a financial manager in our local bank. In the course of getting acquainted and sharing adventure stories, he related an incident in his past as a rock climber. He completed a climb and came upon a dog sacrifice and blood ritual.

He did not say when that took place but judging his age I'd say it was many years ago.

We live in Hiawassee about halfway between Blue Ridge and Toccoa. We have some problem with meth but have not heard talk about witchcraft or Satanism. I will do some investigation.

I recently completed a report for my Sunday School class on the possible connection between the Cherokee and one of the lost tribes of Israel, Zebulon.

The first outpouring of the Holy Spirit took place in Murphy, NC, just north of Blue Ridge, in 1896. That was ten years before the Azusa Street Revival in LA in 1906.

Send me a PM when you get the time.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

******There are only two ways to make social connections for survival. One is bars and the other is churches. There are no bars up here. You meet folks in church who help you get what you need. It takes about one year to gain acceptance.

Last month my wife and I went to see a financial manager in our local bank. In the course of getting acquainted and sharing adventure stories, he related an incident in his past as a rock climber. He completed a climb and came upon a dog sacrifice and blood ritual.

He did not say when that took place but judging his age I'd say it was many years ago.

We live in Hiawassee about halfway between Blue Ridge and Toccoa. We have some problem with meth but have not heard talk about witchcraft or Satanism. I will do some investigation.

I recently completed a report for my Sunday School class on the possible connection between the Cherokee and one of the lost tribes of Israel, Zebulon.

The first outpouring of the Holy Spirit took place in Murphy, NC, just north of Blue Ridge, in 1896. That was ten years before the Azusa Street Revival in LA in 1906.

Send me a PM when you get the time.

You two are just fucking with everyone at this point.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

An excellent reply to Bruce Springsteen. The author makes some valid points. In particular, why should we as a society celebrate a psychological disorder instead of offering compassionate treatment? And, should we make laws based on feelings?

http://hillarydaily.com/brandon/2016/04/12/bruce-springsteen-receives-a-letter-for-canceling-his-nc-concert-and-it-is-epic/

In particular, why should we as a society celebrate a psychological disorder instead of offering compassionate treatment?

The author makes the assumption that is a psychological disorder. He also makes the assumption that these people want treatment, which many of them do not. The ones who want treatment can get it, nothing in this law either promotes or bars that.

And, should we make laws based on feelings?

Can you not see the irony here? The law is entirely about feelings. It is about conservative people feeling LGBT people are icky. That is all this law is about.

The author goes on to make some stupid and inane points, too. He pulls out the old "little girl in a bathroom with a football player" trope, and the tired old "wives and daughters in towels at the gym". None of these things have been actual problems before, so why did NC need to legislate against them now? I'll tell you. To do exactly what Springsteen and others have said, namely try to fight against the horrifying trend of treating LGBT people like humans.

- Dan G

RonD1120

An excellent reply to Bruce Springsteen. The author makes some valid points. In particular, why should we as a society celebrate a psychological disorder instead of offering compassionate treatment? And, should we make laws based on feelings?

http://hillarydaily.com/brandon/2016/04/12/bruce-springsteen-receives-a-letter-for-canceling-his-nc-concert-and-it-is-epic/

No, it is NOT an excellent reply. All the points he raises have already been debunked. It is just a lame attempt to defend bigotry.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Prior to HB2 men could not use a woman's facility.

I assume you meant prior to HB2, that transgendered people who were born male but are now female could use a woman's facility. That's true. If it was a problem needed a legal solution, where are all the stories of the little girl being scared of the football player in a wig, or the innocent wives and daughters in towels stumbling on hairy cock and balls at the YMCA? There aren't any because it wasn't a problem. This law is a solution in search of a problem. It discriminates against people for no other reason than the State wants to discriminate against people.

- Dan G