Donald Trump Versus Hillary Clinton

Alito has not been at all hesitant to let his political views be known, and he has been openly rude to Obama during a SOTU address. How much outrage do you feel about Alito?

That's an odd thing to ask. He just said he was grateful, not outraged, for her actions. Why would he be outraged at someone else?

billvon

Alito has not been at all hesitant to let his political views be known, and he has been openly rude to Obama during a SOTU address. How much outrage do you feel about Alito?

That's an odd thing to ask. He just said he was grateful, not outraged, for her actions. Why would he be outraged at someone else?

Alito, and all Catholics on the bench, should recuse themselves whenever an abortion case comes up, as they cannot be uninfluenced by their allegiance to the Vatican.

billvon

He was grateful that "she walked back her comments", not that she made them in the first place.

And the outrage from the right has been clear and obvious.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Seems that tech industry leaders think Trump will be a disaster.

medium.com/@lutherlowe/an-open-letter-from-technology-sector-leaders-on-donald-trumps-candidacy-for-president-10727fa46cb1#.xxqud36zi

Good job he'll bring all those manufacturing jobs back from China and Vietnam.

Unfortunately, Sarah Palin will not be able to speak for him at the RNC; it's just too far away from Alaska.

============
"She was asked," Trump told the Washington Examiner in a phone interview on Thursday. "It's a little bit difficult because of where she is. We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it's a long ways away."
============

Next up - Tebow won't show up because, you know, he didn't get the message in time; he's been having trouble with his voicemail. Ivanka totally would, but she has to wash her hair that night.

billvon

============
"She was asked," Trump told the Washington Examiner in a phone interview on Thursday. "It's a little bit difficult because of where she is. We love Sarah. Little bit difficult because of, you know, it's a long ways away."
============

I don't really want to call Sarah Palin a media whore, but when even she is distancing herself from Trump . . . wow.
(Assuming something printed in the Washington Examiner is even remotely true.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

normiss

Anyone else catch Trump on 60 Minutes tonight?

Trump has his hand so far up Pence the puppet's ass, it's like Dan Quayle all over again.
It's funny that all the things Trump hates about Hillary, his VP pick is also all those same things.

Typical baglicking politics. A politician will do ANYTHING for power. Never saw it(60 min.) but pandering, backstabbing and lying always trumps(pardon the pun) standards of integrity.

""Let me be as blunt and as direct as I can be," Gingrich said on Thursday. "Western civilization is in a war. We should frankly test every person here who is of Muslim background and if they believe in sharia, they should be deported. Sharia is incompatible with Western civilization."
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-newt-gingrich-1468592810-htmlstory.html
As if the Constitution never existed.

"Pence is the most conservative choice of the rumored vice-presidential picks Trump considered—both in terms of his own ideology, and in terms of the political calculus behind selecting him. FiveThirtyEight’s Harry Enten calculated that he is the most right-wing running-mate selection in many years, and is more conservative than either Newt Gingrich or Chris Christie, who were thought to be leading runners up. "
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/07/trump-vp-cheat-sheet/481662/

And on the Sunday talk shows:

TRUMP: Yeah, you went to Iraq, but that was handled so badly. And that was a war, by the way, that was a war that we shouldn't have entered because Iraq did not knock down — excuse me...

STAHL: Your running mate —

TRUMP: Iraq did not —

STAHL: — voted for it.

TRUMP: I don't care.

STAHL: What do you mean you don't care that he voted for?

TRUMP: It's a long time ago. And he voted that way, and they were also misled. A lot of information was given to people ...

STAHL: But you’ve harped on this.

TRUMP: But I was against the war in Iraq from the beginning.

STAHL: Yeah, but you’ve used that vote of Hillary's that was the same as Governor Pence's as the example of her bad judgment.

TRUMP: Many people have, and frankly, I'm one of the few that was right on Iraq.

He has repeatedly argued that Clinton's vote for war shows his judgment is superior to Clinton's.

But Pence casting the same vote? He doesn't care.

And as an addendum, there is no evidence from 2003 or before that Trump actually did oppose the war in Iraq.

the ONLY "litmus" test a judge should have is objectivity and ability to disregard their political and personal leanings in favor of doing the job right - too bad that's the opposite of the nomination and approval process

True, though the job of a SC judge is the interpret the Constitution in most cases. This interpretation is almost by definition subjective.

The question becomes, does their interpretation lead their political and personal leanings, or do their political and personal leanings guide their interpretation.

In my opinion neither of the above it true and in practice a combination of both is what happens in practice. Not sure any other outcome is really even avoidable.

SkyDekker

the ONLY "litmus" test a judge should have is objectivity and ability to disregard their political and personal leanings in favor of doing the job right - too bad that's the opposite of the nomination and approval process

True, though the job of a SC judge is the interpret the Constitution in most cases. This interpretation is almost by definition subjective.

The question becomes, does their interpretation lead their political and personal leanings, or do their political and personal leanings guide their interpretation.

In my opinion neither of the above it true and in practice a combination of both is what happens in practice. Not sure any other outcome is really even avoidable.

I agree. But I really hope neither case:

1 - does their interpretation lead their political and personal leanings - harmless, judges can evolve their personal philosophies like anyone - this is an interesting take in that a judge that evolves in line WITH the law, is actually embracing a personal philosophy that's consistent with law - is that a perfect judge? or one that would be too restrictive and close minded? I'd be skeptical of an individual that is 'personally' defined soley by the choices of legislatures (they write the laws) past and present.....seems a bit robotic. Fine for the job, but not for the person...again, the ability to keep the two separate is key, now, not just for the conduct of duty, but also for the personal growth of the judge as a person

2 - do their political and personal leanings guide their interpretation - please for love of the people NO, NO, NO (but exactly what every president desires when they make their nominations)

#2 is what judges must avoid - One can still hope that the more positive philosophy (only the original legal intent of the writers of the law guides their interpretation, and the judges are able to suspend their personal philosophies/leaning for the sake of doing the job as intended) is in practice rather than your two options.

I find the biggest issue is legislatures writing vague and subjective laws in the first place that can't stand on their own. That opens the doors to judges being able to twist the meanings any way they choose - that's why original intent is so important. For laws from long ago subject to long periods of change, but even new ones. (seriously, one of the biggest failures of government in recent times is the Legislature failing to own their responsibilities - weak and cosmetic laws with not teeth lead to abuse of powers of the other two branches - excessive and inappropriate executive orders, and judicial activism both are attempts by the other two branches to do the job that the third branch is ignoring....)

And one can still try to hold these people to that standard (even if I'm cynical that we won't get people of that caliber because of bias is demanded from the nomination and confirmation processes).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

jakee

If you already think that's how the Justices work then it doesn't really matter if they voice their opinions or not, does it?

I 'THINK' that presidents and confirmation committees do their best to try to get biased judges in place that match their own philosophies....and voters encourage that....

But how each judge handles it?.....I guess that's pretty much on an individual basis and I can hope for the best - or even still try to expect it. But certainly you are catching my cynicism of the whole process loud and clear.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

kallend

I'm grateful she walked her comments back upon reflection - I'm sure she figured it out on her own. I'm sure the other justices just as likely 'advised' her on it too.

Show me some similar comments and I'll gladly rant in a similar fashion, this is just today's perfectly visible example - surely you see I'm talking about the philosophy of how a judge conducts the job, not about the partisanality of the specific comments. I'm even noting in my comments that I suspect this is not isolated to just one justice - or at least the conditions are in place to imply that is would be very possible for any justice to cross a similar line.

He was grateful that "she walked back her comments", not that she made them in the first place.

thanks for actually reading my comments, I'm too weary to deal with Billvon strawmanning my stuff and trying to claim I'm taking positions I haven't

headoverheels

Alito, and all Catholics on the bench, should recuse themselves whenever an abortion case comes up, as they cannot be uninfluenced by their allegiance to the Vatican.

it's very short sided and prejudiced to tie lack of impartiality to only religious affiliation and not political and social preferences also (all of which demonstrate goofy amounts of bias and selfishness to slanted and intrusive philosophies) - anyway the results will speak for themselves or not as the background of the judge is less important than a track record of impartiality

your post just seems to be two things:

1 - a gratuitous opportunity to hack on religion - common in SC
2 - assumption that 'activist' judging is acceptable. if one has issues with laws they perceive to be founded on religious beliefs that aren't also applicable in a secular sense, then your real beef absolutely needs to be with the legislature first. Then judicial second.

Hi rehmwa,

But how each judge handles it?.....

After he was out of office, Pres. Eisenhower said that his biggest mistake as president was selecting Gov. Earl Warren as Chief Justice.

He thought he was getting a 'somewhat' conservative Republican. Warren turned out to be one of the most liberal judges on the SC ever.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Mark,

Anyone else catch Trump on 60 Minutes tonight?

I watched it. Trump was doing his best to not allow Pence to answer her questions.

I have to give Ms. Stahl credit, she did keep coming back to her original question(s). Trump simply did not want to recognize them.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi rehmwa,

But how each judge handles it?.....

After he was out of office, Pres, Eisenhower said that his biggest mistake as president was selecting Gov. Earl Warren as Chief Justice.

He thought he was getting a 'somewhat' conservative Republican. Warren turned out to be one of the most liberal judges on the SC ever.

yep - and a judge should be neither. yet Ike was trying to 'stack' it based on a hope that Warren would vote in a biased way...

I actually kind of like the current nominee for SC, for all those reasons. By trying to select someone who will be acceptable to conservatives as well as liberals, he may have actually gotten someone somewhat moderate and even-minded. As long as he pisses people on both sides of the fence off, he's got to be doing something right.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

rehmwa

***Alito, and all Catholics on the bench, should recuse themselves whenever an abortion case comes up, as they cannot be uninfluenced by their allegiance to the Vatican.

it's very short sided and prejudiced to tie lack of impartiality to only religious affiliation and not political and social preferences also (all of which demonstrate goofy amounts of bias and selfishness to slanted and intrusive philosophies) - anyway the results will speak for themselves or not as the background of the judge is less important than a track record of impartiality

your post just seems to be two things:

1 - a gratuitous opportunity to hack on religion - common in SC
2 - assumption that 'activist' judging is acceptable. if one has issues with laws they perceive to be founded on religious beliefs that aren't also applicable in a secular sense, then your real beef absolutely needs to be with the legislature first. Then judicial second.

No, my post was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of those saying that Ginsburg should recuse herself on any cases regarding Trump, should he be elected.

wmw999

I actually kind of like the current nominee for SC, for all those reasons. By trying to select someone who will be acceptable to conservatives as well as liberals, he may have actually gotten someone somewhat moderate and even-minded. As long as he pisses people on both sides of the fence off, he's got to be doing something right.

Wendy P.

Now we only have to make the asshats vote.

I think there needs to be legislation put in place that says the senate is not allowed another term if there is willful neglect of duty.g
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun