2 2
kallend

More mass shootings

There's a bit of a difference between "reads gun magazines and got into a fight at a bar" and posting "I am going to be a professional school shooter" online.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

>There's a bit of a difference between "reads gun magazines and got into a fight at a bar"
>and posting "I am going to be a professional school shooter" online.

Yes, there is. And if someone says "I am going to go postal, I swear" then if he tends to say that sort of stuff all the time it's no big deal. But if he's never said that before and he's serious about it, then it's a bigger deal.

Which is the problem with such strategies.

Tagging on at the end.

I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a plan of salvation? I wonder if that would help them deal with their anger, anxiety, depression and guilt as they grow into adulthood? I wonder if they would then be better equipped to handle maturational, situational and emotional crises?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

Tagging on at the end.

I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a plan of salvation? I wonder if that would help them deal with their anger, anxiety, depression and guilt as they grow into adulthood? I wonder if they would then be better equipped to handle maturational, situational and emotional crises?

Because deeply religious people have never murdered a bunch of folks based on their beliefs?

Oh. Wait.

Religion gives people an excuse to be awful to each other. 'God told me to' is the biggest cop-out of all time and has been the the cry of some of the largest mass murders in history.

rushmc

And you're damn right we need to deal with insanity! But as soon as somebody goes to gun control they're ignoring the issue and the problems and turning it into a political bunch of bullshit which it's not. It's a social l problem we deal with in the United States. Has something to do with the way we glamorise shooting and killings in our movies and in our video games. Plus the vitriol we are seeing on the TV politically doesn't help either. It's a complex problem that has nothing to do with guns!

Ummm another idiotic comment. Are you really suggesting that Australia, Canada, UK, etc. etc don't have violent TV programs and video games? Really? If so, you need to get out more.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rushmc

Speaking of Heroes. It was sure funny to see Brian Williams face on MSNBC when he interviewed those two boys from the school. Trying to prompt them to support gun control. And they flat said gun control wouldn't help. It was a classic moment.

Obviously teenage boys are exactly the right people to be setting policy for the USA. Great insight there, Marc.

>I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a
>plan of salvation? I wonder if that would help them deal with their anger, anxiety,
>depression and guilt as they grow into adulthood? I wonder if they would then be better
>equipped to handle maturational, situational and emotional crises?

It would probably help some, because religion provides a pre-packaged morality with a very big stick (i.e. "you'll go to hell" or some equivalent punishment) to enforce it - and some people respond well to such packaged moralities and dire threats.

It would probably hurt some, because many religions provide a "get out of jail free" card that they can use to justify selfish and egocentric decisions. Also, by not having to figure out their own morality at a young age, they can reach a point where the simple pre-packaged moralities provided by their church no longer work in the real world - and they are left adrift, unpracticed at deciding right and wrong for themselves.

For most people it probably won't make much difference; they will have an internal morality not easily swayed by religious or secular edicts.

billvon

>I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a
>plan of salvation? I wonder if that would help them deal with their anger, anxiety,
>depression and guilt as they grow into adulthood? I wonder if they would then be better

It would probably help some, because religion provides a pre-packaged morality with a very big stick (i.e. "you'll go to hell" or some equivalent punishment) to enforce it - and some people respond well to such packaged moralities and dire threats.

It would probably hurt some, because many religions provide a "get out of jail free" card that they can use to justify selfish and egocentric decisions. Also, by not having to figure out their own morality at a young age, they can reach a point where the simple pre-packaged moralities provided by their church no longer work in the real world - and they are left adrift, unpracticed at deciding right and wrong for themselves.

For most people it probably won't make much difference; they will have an internal morality not easily swayed by religious or secular edicts.

We are born evil. We have to learn morality. Who are the best teachers in this era?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

***>I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a

We are born evil.

Absolute rubbish.

We are born evil. We have to learn morality. Who are the best teachers in this era?

We are born innocent. We are taught evil. We all have to find a way to survive. The Devil is at work every day. He runs the NRA.

The devil's right hand, the devil's right hand
Mama said the pistol is the devil's right hand ----Steve Earle

Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

kallend

***And you're damn right we need to deal with insanity! But as soon as somebody goes to gun control they're ignoring the issue and the problems and turning it into a political bunch of bullshit which it's not. It's a social l problem we deal with in the United States. Has something to do with the way we glamorise shooting and killings in our movies and in our video games. Plus the vitriol we are seeing on the TV politically doesn't help either. It's a complex problem that has nothing to do with guns!

Ummm another idiotic comment. Are you really suggesting that Australia, Canada, UK, etc. etc don't have violent TV programs and video games? Really? If so, you need to get out more.I think what he's saying is that the government should control TV, movies, books, video games, regulate our speech, read all of our emails, and lock up anyone who says or writes anything they don't like. Some people seem to feel that would be preferable to having any inconvenience or impediment placed in the path of their desire to own and carry any sort of firearm, everywhere and all the time.

Don

sundevil777

There should be a law against murder, then people wouldn't do it.

Are you seriously suggesting that homicide rates would remain unchanged if we abolished prohibition of murder?

It's absurd to believe that we should not entertain legal restrictions simply because they won't be 100 percent effective at reducing mass shootings.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***I know who I'm going to believe.

We all do. You'll believe whatever sources confirm your own personal biases, while ignoring all others.

Turns out I was correct...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

yoink

***Tagging on at the end.

Because deeply religious people have never murdered a bunch of folks based on their beliefs?

Oh. Wait.

Religion gives people an excuse to be awful to each other. 'God told me to' is the biggest cop-out of all time and has been the the cry of some of the largest mass murders in history.

Allow me to offer you, and others, a suggestion, stop looking at life in the rear view mirror.

Allow me to offer you, and others, a suggestion, stop looking at life in the rear view mirror.

Yes indeed. The Enlightenment has happened. It's time to move on from the myths and fables of the past.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

RonD1120

******Tagging on at the end.

Oh. Wait.

The hypocrisy in this post is mind-boggling, given that you literally define your life,how you live it and what's going to happen to you in the future by an ancient book.

You should probably stop looking in the rear view mirror, Ron.

:S

yoink

*********Tagging on at the end.

Oh. Wait.

The hypocrisy in this post is mind-boggling, given that you literally define your life,how you live it and what's going to happen to you in the future by an ancient book.

You should probably stop looking in the rear view mirror, Ron.

:S

Whoooooosh

Hang in there Ron!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>We are born evil.

We're not born good or evil. We are born with greed, compassion, anger, love, jealousy and forgiveness inherent in us. How we shape those basic drives into a higher morality determines whether we are "good" or "evil" (depending on how you define those words.)

>Who are the best teachers in this era?

Parents.

wolfriverjoe

There's a bit of a difference between "reads gun magazines and got into a fight at a bar" and posting "I am going to be a professional school shooter" online.

Within the last week: one teenager making a joke online with their friend and ended up with an entire Sheriff Department in his house, next, I was in a gun and tackle shop Saturday and my girlfriend heard this kid say, "That's pretty nice but it won't fit into my school bag." So, call the police? If that kid was serious and went and killed people is it our fault now?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

kallend

******>I wonder if we started teaching our children morality based on a real loving God with a

We are born evil.

Absolute rubbish.

To put it in perspective, put a kitten or a puppy in a room with a toddler, say 1-2 years old, and give him/her ZERO instructions on how to treat it. Betcha more often than not the animal ends up getting hurt/tortured/killed.

Even then, it's not that they were born evil, they just didn't know any better. Their actions could be seen as evil to some.