mpohl

Toddler accidentally shoots and kills his mother in Idaho Wal-Mart

GoneCodFishing

Lesson:
1) Owning a gun is for defence not offence.
when you learn that, come back and comment.

Hahahahahaahaha!!!! Yeah right... Everyone of the 100,000 people that gets shot every year in the USA are doing so by somebody defending him(her)self. :D

Now where did i park my unicorn?

Just as much as the people driving cars and motorcycles.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

GoneCodFishing

I think the problem with the "i have a right to have a gun to protect me/my family" is that everyone in the country could exercise that right. So if that guy that approached you at McDonalds and you pulled a gun to actually had the intention of attacking you, and had also exercised his right to owning a gun, you would about now be lying 6 feet under with a hole in your head. And the same is true for all the other examples given above of people pulling guns on other people.

When you have the upper hand it'll probably work well for you, but when you are matched then it'll mean the difference between a broken nose and split lips or a wooden cask. A sort of civilian version of the nuclear arms race... :S

For what it's worth, there could be a post in a similar thread on snooker.com about now, of a guy advocating the use of guns because while waiting at a McDonalds in Houston a guy was looking weird at him, and when approaching the driver to see what the problem was that driver pulled a gun on him, and so to protect himself from gun wielding lunatics he will from now on carry a concealed weapon.

And there you go, gun escalation with potential fatal outcomes from a situation that could be difused with a simple "I'm just waiting to order for a double cheeseburger here, leave me alone, dude"

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your best ability. I never pulled my firearm on anyone. I just let them know I wasn't going to be their next victim.

turtlespeed

Feels even better to the wall when you stop!

:)

Like beating your head against a wall... feels so good when you stop.

Chuck

Gee-whiz! You mean walls have feelings too?:P

Chuck

Hey, if guns kill people, then walls can have feelings.

Guns don't kill people... people kill people.

Chuck

masterrig

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck

Ah - so you see my point then.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

Chuck

Chuck

Chuck

Ah - so you see my point then.:)

Absolutely!

Chuck

regulator

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your best ability. I never pulled my firearm on anyone. I just let them know I wasn't going to be their next victim.

Are you looking at yourself in the mirror flexing your biceps while you are saying that? Snap back to the real world, this ain't Hollywood.

There's been 2 responses to what i think is a reasonable viewpoint, which could be reasonably argued for or against or simply ignored, and both of these responses have been a somewhat silly attempt of a personal attack followed by an even more silly and naive statement completely bypassing the subject of the post.

If this is representative of the cognitive level of your average gun carrying citizen then i'm not surprised accidents like this are happening.

I'm out of here. Not that i don't find your arguments fascinating, but there's some grass growing in my back garden and i wouldn't want to miss such an exciting event. Besides, my dog is waiting out there and she's able to formulate more reasoned replies than you 2 sunshines.

Have a happy new year :P

I have read this entire thread and am in total disbelief of its content.

You sir, have the right to believe in whatever you choose; but you wish to mandate how others choose to live, their behaviors & beliefs. You do not have the right to do that no matter how much you disagree with their beliefs or behaviors.

Now, you don't have to agree disagree or even understand... but, you do not have the right to tell others how they should live; nor infringe on our constitutional rights.

You do have the right to an opinion, but you could do a much better job of presenting it other than suggesting that all toddlers should kill their gun-toting parents and the slew of verbal slop that followed.

There are many on this board with whom I disagree and it can be labeled as mostly liberal vs. conservative "issues." In most cases, I can say those debates have been intriguing - enough so; that I would welcome the opportunity to have dinner with any one of them and a lively debate.

Your opinion was set on the cornerstone of vicious diatribe and built in the same way. No dinner for you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Now, you don't have to agree disagree or even understand... but, you do not have the right to tell others how they should live;

I think 'mandate' would be a better choice of words.

You have the right to 'tell' others damn near anything you want to. They just don't have to listen.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

BIGUN

I have read this entire thread and am in total disbelief of its content.

You sir, have the right to believe in whatever you choose; but you wish to mandate how others choose to live, their behaviors & beliefs. You do not have the right to do that no matter how much you disagree with their beliefs or behaviors.

Now, you don't have to agree disagree or even understand... but, you do not have the right to tell others how they should live; nor infringe on our constitutional rights.

You do have the right to an opinion, but you could do a much better job of presenting it other than suggesting that all toddlers should kill their gun-toting parents and the slew of verbal slop that followed.

There are many on this board with whom I disagree and it can be labeled as mostly liberal vs. conservative "issues." In most cases, I can say those debates have been intriguing - enough so; that I would welcome the opportunity to have dinner with any one of them and a lively debate.

Your opinion was set on the cornerstone of vicious diatribe and built in the same way. No dinner for you.

Amen!
We live in a democracy and in a democracy, the majority rules. Personally, I am tired of little 'fringe groups' telling me how I need to live. That's their opinion... which they are entitled to. When some little group tries to infringe on our Constitutional rights, I don't like it. I was told while growing up, if I didn't like something or someone... stay away. You don't like guns... stay away! I'm tired too of folks who 'generalize' many because of a few. It's not fair and it's not right.

chuck

jakee

Now, you don't have to agree disagree or even understand... but, you do not have the right to tell others how they should live;

You have the right to 'tell' others damn near anything you want to. They just don't have to listen.

You may "damn near tell others anything you want" in bloody old England, but culturally, I would encourage you not to do that in some areas of the larger cities or rural areas here in the US. Now, you have the right to free speech... be careful how, where and when you use it over here.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

You may "damn near tell others anything you want" in bloody old England, but culturally, I would encourage you not to do that in some areas of the larger cities or rural areas here in the US. Now, you have the right to free speech... be careful how, where and when you use it over here.

You sound strangely proud of that. It's not something I'd be boasting about, to be honest:P

*Culturally* spoken, you just confirmed ALL about what most aliens think about the US. ..... :(

Jeez, seems this is normal part of your daily life - like a desease ..... in this case, you just fight with a weapon, not with pills....B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

christelsabine

*Culturally* spoken, you just confirmed ALL about what most aliens think about the US. ..... :(

I was stating a fact. You and Jakee don't seem to understand that when we go to your part of the world; you expect us to abide by your cultural mores - but when you come over here; you don't want to abide by ours; much less understand them and more importantly - feel like you can "tell" us how we should live.

I've been to your country many times - each time defending your country against communism. You damn sure didn't complain about my having a weapon in your country then; but you want to complain about me having one in my own country now - which again; is my right.

And, culturally speaking; I really don't give a damn about what any alien's viewpoint on the US is.

Just as you don't give a damn about any of my viewpoints about your country.

Well, except that I love the Saarbrucken region. You might agree with that... but I'm sure that you have some reason not to.

normiss

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.
BUSTED / PLAUSIBLE / CONFIRMED
In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.

Source: http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was stating a fact. You and Jakee don't seem to understand that when we go to your part of the world; you expect us to abide by your cultural mores - but when you come over here; you don't want to abide by ours; much less understand them and more importantly - feel like you can "tell" us how we should live.

I've been to your country many times - each time defending your country against communism. You damn sure didn't complain about my having a weapon in your country then; but you want to complain about me having one in my own country now - which again; is my right.

And, culturally speaking; I really don't give a damn about what any alien's viewpoint on the US is.

Just as you don't give a damn about any of my viewpoints about your country.

Well, except that I love the Saarbrucken region. You might agree with that... but I'm sure that you have some reason not to.

Nonsense. If you come to Europe, you expect not to be shot; going to the US, every tourist is expecting the same: Coming back home in good condition. That has nothing to do with any cultural mores ..... :|

Jakee has his ideas, I have mine.

You were defending my good ol' Germany against communism?? Man, you must be very old now. I never saw you here, I never had the chance to complain "about having a weapon in my country" ... You sure you are in the correct century??

I agree on the part of *not giving a damn ....* (mutually)

Saarbrucken?? Don't understand.

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You and Jakee don't seem to understand that when we go to your part of the world;

And you don't seem to understand what I said. Try reading it again without actively looking for something to take offence to.

I've been to your country many times - each time defending your country against communism. You damn sure didn't complain about my having a weapon in your country then;

How can you be so sure?