sfzombie13

nsa whistleblower - not a traitor, he did it right

just my opinion, however, i firmly believe this guy did things right. he only released select documents, didn't put anyone at risk, and came forth almost immediately afterward. poor guy don't have much of a chance though.

sfzombie13

just my opinion, however, i firmly believe this guy did things right. he only released select documents, didn't put anyone at risk, and came forth almost immediately afterward. poor guy don't have much of a chance though.

I agree. They are announcing on the radio this morning that he is friend of Bradley Manning.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I agree. They are announcing on the radio this morning that he is friend of Bradley Manning.

That seems highly unlikely. Are you certain you heard that right? Do you have a link to support it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***I agree. They are announcing on the radio this morning that he is friend of Bradley Manning.

That seems highly unlikely. Are you certain you heard that right? Do you have a link to support it?

News station said he was 'an admirer' of Manning. I don't know if they reported right either.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

******I agree. They are announcing on the radio this morning that he is friend of Bradley Manning.

News station said he was 'an admirer' of Manning. I don't know if they reported right either.

From the Guardian interview:

-
Q: Do you see yourself as another Bradley Manning?

A: "Manning was a classic whistleblower. He was inspired by the public good."
-
Remster

Interesting. I agree with sfzombie that this guy is a genuine whistleblower, where Manning was more of a shotgun kind of guy. I'm interested that he sees himself as so similar.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

RonD1120

***just my opinion, however, i firmly believe this guy did things right. he only released select documents, didn't put anyone at risk, and came forth almost immediately afterward. poor guy don't have much of a chance though.

Lush Rimjob, Nutter Beck, or Scum Hannity?

Here is a hint to all Right Wing Conservatards - What you hear on the radio, and on Faux Spews, likely has little or no connection to FACTUAL information.

In other words, gullible idiots repeating what was said on the radio are - gullible idiots, aka, Right Wing Conservatards.

Did you check with the tribe to ensure that you are posting "approved" thoughts?

Remster

From the Guardian interview:

-
Q: Do you see yourself as another Bradley Manning?

A: "Manning was a classic whistleblower. He was inspired by the public good."
-

Anyone interested in the Manning case should see this: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/wikileaks/

Manning had a lot of personal issues, and I don't think he really grasped the gravity of what he was doing. Something that really stands out is that Mannings account of how he turned over the docs, does not correlate with what Assange says. One of them is lying, and I suspect it is the latter.

In contrast, Snowden seems much more calculating, although I question the wisdom of choosing Hong Kong, (assuming he really is there).
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

wmw999

Interesting. I agree with sfzombie that this guy is a genuine whistleblower, where Manning was more of a shotgun kind of guy. I'm interested that he sees himself as so similar.

not sure the statement indicates "so similar" so much as similarity of releasing information and potentially facing harsh consequences. Fox News already has the noose ready...

yeah, HK seems like a bad call - it certainly feeds into notions of a Chinese pay off.

wmw999

Snowden said that he admires both Ellsberg and Manning, but argues that there is one important distinction between himself and the army private, whose trial coincidentally began the week Snowden's leaks began to make news.

"I carefully evaluated every single document I disclosed to ensure that each was legitimately in the public interest," he said. "There are all sorts of documents that would have made a big impact that I didn't turn over, because harming people isn't my goal. Transparency is."

He purposely chose, he said, to give the documents to journalists whose judgment he trusted about what should be public and what should remain concealed.

Also from the Guardian.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

quade

***I agree. They are announcing on the radio this morning that he is friend of Bradley Manning.

970AM WFLA Tampa, FL
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

And, pray tell, just where do you as a Libstick get your factual information?

www.https://eatupwithredass.com

Also, please, if you are capable, try to discern the correct meaning of the word tribe in context.

Did you get one of them thar "Good Enough Diploma's?" A little remedial training may be in order. But, hey, I live on the Right Side of America. You might expand your consciousness if you migrate away from Humboldt County. Maybe.

I don't understand the logic justifying his behavior.

It's like saying it's ok to steal, so long as some people support your reasoning.

He never had the rights to steal classified information, much less let it lose.

Going "inside" and then violating that trust is wrong.

Maybe he'll get a cell within tapping distance of Manning so they can share more secrets.

as i stated, he did it the right way. i am vehemently opposed to manning, he put innocent people at risk, snowden exposed the government trampling on the fourth amendment. he didn't really steal anything, either. did he? oh, yeah, the slide show. but the govt didn't really do that, all the companies asked said so. had manning used the correct procedure, i would be behind him. i think maybe age may have something to do with it, with a little age comes wisdom, or at least the ability to think through things. sometimes.

normiss

It's like saying it's ok to steal, so long as some people support your reasoning.

Maybe he'll get a cell within tapping distance of Manning so they can share more secrets.

The NSA has no right to steal my private information. I'm glad someone had the courage to expose their crimes.
Skydiving is serious business

-Joey-

The NSA has no right to steal my private information. I'm glad someone had the courage to expose their crimes.

What crimes, exactly, are those? Metadata from phone use isn't private.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

as i stated, he did it the right way. i am vehemently opposed to manning, he put innocent people at risk,...

I believe that 'those people' were already put "at risk" by the very goobermint that operates so much in the dark as it is.

Maybe now 'those people' are doing something less hazardous to their health....AND out in the open sunshine to boot.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If those are the only factors you consider then you're saying that whistleblowing is always wrong, no matter what you uncover.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

funjumper101

******just my opinion, however, i firmly believe this guy did things right. he only released select documents, didn't put anyone at risk, and came forth almost immediately afterward. poor guy don't have much of a chance though.

Lush Rimjob, Nutter Beck, or Scum Hannity?

Here is a hint to all Right Wing Conservatards - What you hear on the radio, and on Faux Spews, likely has little or no connection to FACTUAL information.

In other words, gullible idiots repeating what was said on the radio are - gullible idiots, aka, Right Wing Conservatards.

Did you check with the tribe to ensure that you are posting "approved" thoughts?

I always struggle with irony. When someone's contribution to a discussion is a hate-filled emotional diatribe/attack that purports to lament the lack of facts and reason by his/her target...is that irony?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

jakee

***Interesting. I agree with sfzombie that this guy is a genuine whistleblower, where Manning was more of a shotgun kind of guy. I'm interested that he sees himself as so similar.

Snowden said that he admires both Ellsberg and Manning, but argues that there is one important distinction between himself and the army private, whose trial coincidentally began the week Snowden's leaks began to make news.

"I carefully evaluated every single document I disclosed to ensure that each was legitimately in the public interest," he said. "There are all sorts of documents that would have made a big impact that I didn't turn over, because harming people isn't my goal. Transparency is."

He purposely chose, he said, to give the documents to journalists whose judgment he trusted about what should be public and what should remain concealed.

Also from the Guardian.

I don't understand why the admin is up in arms about this. Don't they want transparency as well?

Or is that kinda like suing Arizona for enforcing the federal law for them?>:(
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

sfzombie13

My feelings on this issue are mixed.

When Chris Boyce ("The Falcon and the Snowman") revealed details of the Rhyolite program, he claimed to have done so because of transgressions of which he became aware as a signals clerk (rigging Australian elections, etc.), but he sold the crown jewels to the Soviets for cash. His requirement for payment rather undercut his claim of acting on the basis of conscience.

Snowden, OTOH, seems to have thrown himself on his sword as an act of conscience, giving up a life most people could only dream about in the interest of "doing the right thing." He also appears to have taken pains to avoid burning anyone else, or revealing anything that wasn't painfully obvious in the first place.

Since I consider it a given that NSA was doing everything Snowden claimed well before he went public, it strikes me as naive on his part that he was the tiniest bit surprised by what he discovered.

"The NSA is monitoring EVERYTHING!!!!!"

"Uh, yeah, that's what they do and have always done. You did not know that? Where have you been?"

I am not sure what is the upside or downside of this incident in the long run.

From his standpoint, it is certainly a game changer. With sufficient cunning, he might wind up being a cause celebre and thus immunized from repercussions, making massive amounts from a book deal and being the darling of the talk show circuit. Then again, he might wind up at Guantanamo.

Any intelligence agency worth its salt could work this at least somewhat to its advantage. Through a skilled disinformation program, it could leave the opposition convinced that EVERYTHING is being read even if the technology is too buggy for words, or, conversely, you could give the impression that the technology does not work for beans when, in fact, it is flawless. There is a lot to be said for keeping the opposition guessing.

In any event, I like the story more for entertainment value than anything. Seeing Senators getting worked up about people being privy to the back and forth of their Blackberries is amusing. The Snowden story promises to be entertaining as well.

BSBD,

Winsor

billvon

Ou sont les neigeans d'antan?

I really hope certain posters are not up on their French. It'd suck to see this one go the way of the warmists/deniers. :P (I admit I had to look up the translation; I've never been a fan of the Ubi Sunt genre, or that mindset in general)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*