JRock

9mm vs .45

You may also want to look at a .40cal. It has more stopping power than 9mm, but fewer drawbacks than a .45 (recoil, weight).
If you are looking for a man-stopper the .45 is the clear choice.
If you go 9mm +P+ Corbon 1300fps ammo yields good results. Just make sure the 9mm you buy can handle hot loads.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

I went with the 10mm short, known as .40 S&W. It'll take high pressures, giving good muzzle velocity and energy downrange, but the short case gives a compact grip. The .45 ACP is a great round, but long compared to the 9mm or 40S&W. The new .45 GAP from Glock delivers .45 Auto punch from a 9mm length round. That's something to look into.

Also look at .357 Sig. Got one of those too. :)

Here's my theory.... (I own a XD-9)

IF... and I mean IF, for some fucked up reason I ever need to use my gun in self defense, I will be pulling the trigger more than once. So, I made the decision to get a gun with low recoil so that my second and third, maybe more, shots were grouped tight with rapid fire. I find that with the larger calibers, the gun bounces around a lot when shooting rapid bursts. Maybe it's just me, and my style of shooting, but I prefer the 9mm and it's moderate recoil. That is the primary reason.

Now when you are talking about the 99.99999% of the other time you are using your gun... THE RANGE... why not shoot the cheapest round? My friends with .40's and .45's always bitch at the price of rounds when we go to the range. I can buy a box of 50 for $6.99 instead of $10.99+. So, recreational operational costs in the long run are WAY cheaper.

Just my .02 cents. Happy shooting!!

(Hey Chief, can I hold my gun sideways?...It looks so cool! -Lou The Simpsons)

I went with the 10mm short, known as .40 S&W. It'll take high pressures, giving good muzzle velocity and energy downrange, but the short case gives a compact grip. The .45 ACP is a great round, but long compared to the 9mm or 40S&W. The new .45 GAP from Glock delivers .45 Auto punch from a 9mm length round. That's something to look into.

Also look at .357 Sig. Got one of those too. :)

Interesting. I'd like to see how the Glock round holds up to 45 ACP. Got any stats?

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I currently do not own a 9mm although I think they are adequate for self protection. Some like them because in offers 15 +1 where as my single stack .45 offers 8+1 without an extended Mag. This is a non issue to most people however.

What is important is how comfortable you are with the firearm. Handle several. See who they feel. Shoot as many as you can. See if a .45 double stack fits your hand or are you looking at a 1911 style? If so are you comfortable with the SAO design, and the breakdown of it. Are you planning on carrying as in CCW? If so what kind of holster do you want?
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

I have one of each...and I would probably not buy another 9mm. I am not impressed with the way mine handles, and for that matter the grip just seems huge. I have a smaller .45, and it fits my hand. It also isnt bad on recoil. If you load the mag full plus 1 thats 9 out of the first magazine. I am accurate with both and can unload 2 magazines with 100% in the black at 30 ft. I prefer the .45 and would carry that more often than the 9mm.

It also depends on the pistol that you are looking at. If I was buying a new gun I would look at the Kimber 45 models.http://www.kimberamerica.com/compact.php Of course I haven't shot all that is out there. THere is plenty of rounds out there that people will swear by.

9mm has plenty of stopping power for most situations. Besides, if you decide to use deadly force, shoot until the target is no longer a threat. Practice 8" paper plates at 10 and 20 ft. After that you make up your mind as far as what works for you.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

A few thoughts:

Placement is king.... you can't miss fast enough to stop the bad guy.

.45 is as large (or slightly smaller) at entry as 9mm is, expanded.

I've heard good things about 10mm and .357 Sig... haven't heard as much about the GAP, but I'm not a Glock fan - they don't fit my hands well.

The .357 magnum has the best stopping record of any pistol round out there. If it were me, I would get a Colt or Springfield in 9mm, then send it to a *GOOD* gunsmith and have it converted to 9x23 Winchester.

Advantages:

.357 magnum performance (1375 fps with a 147 gr JHP)

10 + 1 with a flush fit magazine in a full-size grip pistol.

Very manageable recoil (similar to the .40 S&W if I remember right)

Disadvantages:

Winchester does not have this ammunition on a constant run, last that I heard, so it's "feast or famine". When it's on the market, you need to be prepared to shuck out for a couple thousand rounds... or be prepared to "roll your own".

Based on the above, ammo is fairly pricey.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>what about a pointed stick?

What about a banana? How do you disarm a man armed with a banana?

We already did bananas, and kiwi, and grapefruits, and oranges.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

they don't call the 9mm the "europellet" for nothing...

go big or go home... .45 acp

stack the deck as much in your favor as possible. I have a kimber stainless ultra carry II, it's very light, is very reliable, is more accurate than ANY other gun I've EVER shot (and I've shot most of 'em), and the recoil is VERY manageable.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I've heard good things about 10mm and .357 Sig... haven't heard as much about the GAP, but I'm not a Glock fan - they don't fit my hands well.

The .357 sig is a lot of fun to fire/own, but it wouldn't be the one I would want in for a defensive role. Huge flash, noise, and penetration.

9mm should be more than enough, but if you find a .45 you like better, why not use it? Unlikely that you will need the higher capacity afforded by 9mm magazines (outside of CA).

I personally slightly prefer the P7M8 to the USP45C, with a 9mm 226 in third.

i have heard that too. i own a 10mm, little biger than the 9mm, noticed plenty of law enforcement using this.

Really? What departments? Even the FBI stopped using the 10mm, just about every department uses a .40, .45ACP or the .357Sig (there are still some with the 9mm).

To each their own, though. Personally I'm a big fan of the .45ACP as well as Kimber. Although, I'm a fan of Glock too, but their .45ACP offering is pretty crappy (the 21 and 36 for example). With a Glock I'd go with the .40 for stopping power, otherwise I would get a Kimber, STI or a Wilson and get the .45ACP.

Remember this as well, for self defense you have to be aware of over penitration, the 9mm is a very fast handgun round. Even with the larger grained offerings (such as the 147gr HydraShock) has a very high muzzle velocity. That much speed tends to keep going and going, if you get what I'm saying. The .40 is a bit better in this regard (for most defense loads commercially made).

All in all its a personal choice. Here are some other factors to consider.

1. You're only as good as you train and shooting is a skill, you HAVE to shoot often and practice hard to keep that skill, otherwise you're not only a danger to yourself, but to others.

2. 9mm is a very cheap round to shoot, .45 is an expensive round, 10mm is stupid expensive. So unless you're going to reload yourself, .45ACP is expensive to practice with. So is it worth buying a weapon you can't afford to practice with often or would you be better off having a weapon with a "lesser" caliber that you can practice with often and be proficent with? That's a judgement call you have to make.

Eitherway, please go get good training from a good source. Your local "gun guy" may not be the best choice. Take a NRA safety course and if you can't afford good tactical training from some place like Thunder Ranch, Front Site or Gun Site, then please look up your local IPSC or your local IDPA chapter and learn from those guys. It will only help you and make you a better shooter, which will make you a safer shooter.

As for weapon brand choice, I've hit on it already, but wanted to mention it again. I have a few Glocks that are GREAT weapons. Super reliable, can't break them (seemingly) and well, let me give you an example, I've put roughly 15,000rds through my Glock 17 and I've had 1 and only 1 malfunction. It was a stove piped casing. With that said, I'm a HUGE fan of my Kimber (TLE/RL II Pro). Talk about a nice weapon. Accurate, incredible craftsmanship and I'm in-love with how the trigger feels.:P Then again, it cost a bit more then twice as much as the latest Glock I got. Stay the hell away from Ruger and Berretta, though, I've never found any of their weapons to be anything but a piece of crap that you would be better off hitting the aggressor with.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

:|
You wouldn't want to be touched by either of them.

This arg is as old as them denuded hills.

The Brits got it down long ago.

"Little powder , much lead ,
hits hard , kills dead "

Spray n pray or aim for fame.

PS whoever told you the 9mm got no stopping power has never heard of a hollar point.
:)

I have shot both, and I have been in combat. The .45 acp will stop ANYONE faster than a 9mm. You still have to train with your weapon UNDER STRESS. You cannot expect to stop someone if you are not PREPARED to stop them.

9mm has the capacity, but not the punch. The .45 acp and now the GAP (both equal in muzzle energy in a 3" barrell) have the punch - and you only have to shoot them once - maybe twice, before they change their religon.....

Plus you have to look at the ammunition you are using. Use ball, well, you are going to have problems. Try a JHP, or even, my favorite - Magsafe. Look them up. Yea you pay for the round, but for defense, you can't get any better. A frangible bullet is the way to go. If it hits a wall - it won't kill anyone on the other side of that wall. You can always suit your ammo choice for the task or mission. But when a frangible round hits a 'bad guy' the results are , well, quite pleasing. Lots of bad problems for the bad guy, know what I mean.....

The military switched to the 9mm Baretta (piece of crap) becaue it was more controllable for the general population of Soldiers being MP's. Women do tend, on an avarage, to shoot better than men. Most don't just pick up the firearm to prove it.

Besides, my HK .45 USP compact with its 3" barrel is quite tame. Don't think it is difficult to manage at all, even with double taps....

Good training and familiarity with your weapon of choice goes quite far. Choice of weapon, however, will take you farther.

You still have to train with your weapon UNDER STRESS. You cannot expect to stop someone if you are not PREPARED to stop them.

I couldn't agree with you more, but it's difficult for civilians to train under stress.

I prefer a Glock 26 (9mm) for carry and a Glock .40 and Desert Eagle 9mm for range/home/fun.

Whatever you choose, choose to spend plenty of time at the range!!! :)

"One out of every four American's are suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."

Interesting. I'd like to see how the Glock round holds up to 45 ACP. Got any stats?

Yep, the tests show that the .45 GAP matches muzzle velocity with the .45 ACP, all the way up to and including the 230 grain rounds. It does it through higher allowable pressures, something the old rounds just aren't allowed to do, unless you're wildcatting.

Here's my theory.... (I own a XD-9)

Now when you are talking about the 99.99999% of the other time you are using your gun... THE RANGE... why not shoot the cheapest round? My friends with .40's and .45's always bitch at the price of rounds when we go to the range. I can buy a box of 50 for $6.99 instead of $10.99+. So, recreational operational costs in the long run are WAY cheaper.

Walmart has Winchester brass case 9 ammo for $11.37 a box of 100, smoin' hot deal. It barely pays for me to reload for my wife's XD-9 (nice pistol, BTW.)

Your statement reminds me of an old saying "Everyone talks .45, practices 9. and carries a .38."
:P

I admit I drop down to a .38 Airweight in warm weather. :$