JRock

9mm vs .45

Throw the circular saw blade first ...

Are you NUTS?!:S

You have any idea how much those blades COST?!:o

...and everyone knows all he has to do is throw a shoe at the off switch as he passes by it, and the conveyor belt will stop just short of the burning rocket exhaust...

You MUST stun him with a flying ~ spinning ~ back kick...then tie him to the railroad tracks!

NO WONDER you never got a double "0" number ID![:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's so much simpler in the movies.

They also have cooler guns in the movies too. :D

How many people watched The Matrix for the first time and when they had the room of guns in the Matrix to get ready for the raid you went "damn, that would be neat to have!":D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

How many people watched The Matrix for the first time and when they had the room of guns in the Matrix to get ready for the raid you went "damn, that would be neat to have!":D

And in a case of life imitating art...

Remember the first Die Hard movie in which the 'villain' had an HK 9mm...the 'grip' cocking model in 'stainless'...

It was plated as a movie prop, they didn't MAKE it in stainless at the time, but there was such a demand after the movie, they started to.:ph34r:

*sigh* some day..... :D

It was plated as a movie prop, they didn't MAKE it in stainless at the time, but there was such a demand after the movie, they started to.

Nice. There's a company that makes a short rifle similar to the one that Ah-nold had in Terminator 2. Since they use all new recievers and parts that have never been assembled as a rifle, they can make it new as a long pistol and have it less then 16" legally. Really neat, actually. They're proud of them, though. $$

causing him to stumble backwards into the conveyor belt that leads to the rocket-engine test area

Do they sell these at WalMart? Preferably with the switch covered so the bad guy can't use his shoe on it? B|

You can get 'em...but they are illegal without the switch.
:|:S

Another in the LONG line of trampled 'conveyor belt owners' RIGHTS!>:(

"You can have my conveyor belt, when you pry....":ph34r:

Which one would you buy?
Some people say if needed for self defense the 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power vs. the .45.

I'm coming in late but I'm going to put my two cents in anyway. If you have lots of money, time, and willingness to train, I would recommend going with the .45 due to its stopping power. When I say willingness to train, I mean about 300 rounds a month and some high quality professional training about once a year. With this training you can control the recoil and fire just as fast with as much accuracy as with a 9mm or .40.

If you fall on the other extreme ie little money, time, or willingness to train, then go for the 9mm. You will be able to control the recoil with less training which will allow you to fire faster with greater accuracy. Get hollow points, not ball, and a weapon that is easy to learn such as the Glock or its many copies by other manufacturers.

If you fall somewhere in the middle, the .40 is a good compromise.

Remember, even trained law enforcement only hit with about 20% of their shots in real shootings. The targets move, you're moving, you're scared, and the adrenaline is high. I've been in a shooting and it ain't like the movies.

Also, don't expect your target to react like in the movies. He/she won't drop immediately (most likely) and may not even act like he/she was hit. A person can continue to fight for about a minute after receiving a fatal wound to the heart if they have the will. A lot can happen in that minute. Only two shots will drop a person immediately, a brain stem shot and a pelvic girdle shot. You should be aiming center mass. That will be hard enough to hit. No need to make it harder by trying some trick shot.

In my department, only the SWAT teams carry .45 due to the training requirements. Everyone else carries a .40 and a few still carry the 9mm. Some departments are going back to the 9mm due to the increased lethality of newer rounds and the ease of learning the weapon.

The bottom line is get a weapon that you can learn to shoot with a good deal of competency. Strive for six rounds in 5 seconds from the holster at 15 yards in the torso of a silhouette. When you get to that point, you are pretty much trained.

Pistols are hard to shoot and take a lot of continuous training to become competent with and to maintain that competency. If I wasn't in law enforcement I would use a shotgun for home defense. It's easy to learn and devastating. People also respect it a lot more than a pistol. There is something about looking down the barrel of a shotgun that takes the fight out of people. If you don't have to kill someone, it is easier on you in the long run. I've seen guys that have trained for years have trouble dealing emotionally with killing someone and they had professional counselors and numerous close buddies helping them through it. It's not something to take lightly.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

The bottom line is get a weapon that you can learn to shoot with a good deal of competency. Strive for six rounds in 5 seconds from the holster at 15 yards in the torso of a silhouette. When you get to that point, you are pretty much trained.

Holy shit. I am not very experienced with pistols but that sounds pretty hard. Approximately how long does it take the average person to become that proficient?

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Holy shit. I am not very experienced with pistols but that sounds pretty hard. Approximately how long does it take the average person to become that proficient?

That's not hard. I've seen someone go from never having handled a pistol before to being able to do that in 2 days. Those were two full days with a LOT of dry fire runs from the holster. It was also with good and constant training.

I carry a Ruger P-89 9mm convertible in my truck and have a 1911 .45 at home for defense and fun.
But my real home defrense weapon is a 12 gauge Mossberg pump with a pistol grip.
The P-89 is one of the most reliable auto's I've ever owned and it's not too pretty so i don't mind so much when it gets dirty and scratched.

I recently just picked up a nasty, fire breathing, very accurate S & W 460 XVR revolver. This thing launches a 200 grain bullet at 2400 fps with factory loads in tight groups and can also shoot a 400 grain bullet at 1600 fps. It makes a .44 mag seem like a .22.
The only problem is ammo. I can't find 460 ammo anywhere, just .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt which it also shooots but these rounds are tame compared to the 460.

Dave

Everyone has a different learning curve. I personally am pistol challenged. It took me a few months of regular traing to get where I could do that consistently. I would say about 2-3,000 rounds for me. Your mileage may vary. If you focus just on this skill, you could do it a whole lot faster. It then takes regular training to maintain that proficiency.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Then you must have gotten a 'good' one because the one I have only JAMS reliably.:S

It isnt the gun unless there is damage, that model was very reliable and has been used extensively.

I was wonder what occurs to mke it jam?...ammo choice? cleaning? feed ramp or magazine damage?

wanna sell it?

Then you must have gotten a 'good' one because the one I have only JAMS reliably.:S

It isnt the gun unless there is damage, that model was very reliable and has been used extensively.

I was wonder what occurs to mke it jam?...ammo choice? cleaning? feed ramp or magazine damage?

wanna sell it?

MAKE AN OFFER!;)

The gun was bought in about 90...but I didn't even take it out of the box until about a year ago.

'Brand New' out of the box I had 2 jams on the first magazine load...tried the other mag....same thing.

I field stripped and cleaned it..same thing...was using factory ball ammo...that's what it was DESIGNED to eat!

Tried factory JHP's in everything from 90g. to 147g subsonic rounds....same thing.

Some of the malfunctions are a feed problem, I polished the ramp and that lessened the frequency some.

Other malfunctions are magazine related...the slide won't pick up the next round, and it isn't always the 'later' rounds in the mag.
(Older model-hi cap mags)

Some times it 'stovepipes' the expended round.

All in all not the weapon I would reach for in time of need....that one is a Glock 21.

Sorry to hear you have so much trouble with it, did you ever contact Ruger?

I have friends who own that model and they function flawlessly and seem to not wear much.

I have a Sig 226 and never have a problem unless I use a huge mag (20rds or more), and then it's just an adjustment to the feed lips. Extended mags are nice for the range, or plinking.

I always use the standard mag for field use.

I've put several thousand rounds through my P-89 and never once had a jam and this using all types of ammo and hi-cap magazines.

But does anybody know where to find .460XVR ammo?

I'm having a tough time trying to find it, even online.

Dave