Vallerina

Books that have changed you and your perceptions

eeneR lent me her copy of "The Mastery of Love" by Don Miguel Ruiz since it had such a great impact on her.

Much of this book had a similar theme (self-love) to a book that changed my perceptions and has helped me grow as an individual. The book that I love is "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns. I'm a logical person, and I love this book because he just uses straight-up logic to help people. His basis is that feelings come from our thoughts. Sometimes our thoughts are distorted. To change our negative feelings, we have to change our thoughts. He gets you to practice challenging distorted thoughts which cause negative feelings. It just makes sense to me, so I was able to identify with it so well.

Many people here like to do some soul searching on occasion. What books have really helped you grow and why?

EDIT: Oops! Adding on a link to the "Feeling Good" website: http://www.feelinggood.com/ and to amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380810336/qid=1093827621/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-1403823-7827031
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

The book that's had the biggest impact on me is Richard Bach's "Illusions." I was given a copy of by a friend ten years ago. It totally challenged and change the way I looked at personal reality.

"Mastery of Love" and "The Four Agreements" by Don Miguel Ruiz are both on my current read and reread list.

All three of the above are on my "buy extra copies to give to good friends" list.

The Power of One

Bryce Courtenay

"The power of one..."

The story is inspiring and teaches self-reliance, responsibilty, strength of mind over body and most of all...the power that one individual possesses to change his destiny...

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

I've read a bunch of things that have changed the way I think about things:

the ones that come to mind:

Aldous Huxley: Brave New World
Aldous Huxley: Island
Carlos Castaneda: Teachings of Don Juan
Richard Bach: Illusions
Richard Bach: Jonathong Livingston Seagull

I know there's more, but that's all I can really think of right now....
This ad space for sale.

Many people here like to do some soul searching on occasion. What books have really helped you grow and why?

Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

In the darkest time of my life, a friend sent me the book. It's not an easy or light read, but the time was right and pain is a great motivator to change and grow.

http://www.yenra.com/quotations/nietzsche.html

Michael

"These small things--nutrition, place, climate, recreation, the whole casuistry of selfishness--are inconceivably more important than everything one has taken to be important so far."

I've read an awful lot of books that augmented my thinking, but probably if I were to name one book that transformed me, it would have to be Huston Smith's, "The World's Religions".

I came across that book at a time in my life where I was questioning a lot of things. I wiped my spritual slate clean, so to speak, and read that book. At that point I realized that my beliefs, philosophy and temperament had far more in common with the Eastern faiths... particularly Buddhism... than with the Western ones.

Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason" is one of the most brilliant (and scathing) commentaries on mainstream Christianity that I've ever read. Another good one is Bishop John Shelby Spong's "Rescuing The Bible From Fundamentalism".

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

dienetics...... by l. ron hubard........ okaynot really but wondering for so manyyears when i was little whatthe hell the book was with the valcano on the comercial did change me.... only took me like 8 years to find out what it is about...... and i still don't reeally know.....

Greatest Miracle in the World by Og Mandino
Personality Tree by Florence Littauer
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Magnificent Obsession by Lloyd C. Douglas
Emotional Intellegence by Daniel Goleman
He Still Moves Stones by Max Lucado

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The book that's had the biggest impact on me is Richard Bach's "Illusions." I was given a copy of by a friend ten years ago. It totally challenged and change the way I looked at personal reality.

Richard Bach - Johnathan Livingston Seagull. suprised it's not been listed in this thread (and this group) yet.
-----
~~~Michael

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Fear and Loathing: The Campaign Trail by Hunter S. Thompson.

Time Enough for Love - Heinlein

The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Tom Wolfe

On The Road - Kerouac

The History of the Second World War - Sir Winston Churchill
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

And it’s online now . . .

http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~esj/uwf/uwfintro.htm

Thanks, Nick! What a great link! I love Pat's writing and artwork. :)
As for books that have changed my perceptions... not many really, but maybe some of Ayn Rand's stuff ("The Fountainhead" and "The Virtue of Selfishness") - definitely got me to thinking about certain things in a new perspective.

Also, as a teenager, I had a couple of books of Jim Morrison's poetry ("Lords and New Creatures" and "Wilderness") that had a huge influence on me at that time. Not sure if that was a good thing though. (Jim Morrison is not exactly the best role model for a teenager!)