Vallerina

Books that have changed you and your perceptions

One other book I want to mention... "Self-Coaching" by Dr. Joseph Luciani... I've never been a fan of self-help books, and I'm usually reluctant to talk about depression on a public forum... But since depression seems to be a problem for a lot of others on here too, and since this book has been such a big help to me, I thought I would at least mention it...

the celestine prohecy (fiction!).....i think by redenbach.....great book.....9 insights into life.....

the road less traveled by m. scott peck
Play with your children.....it's the best investment you'll ever make.
www.discoverytoyslink.com/amysbluesky

Hmmm - biggest impact -

I won't go into detail - but the book with the most interesting effect on me was the Old Testament.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

heheh....we have some 'old hippies' on dz.com after all!!B|

My favorite Kerouac was 'Dharma Bums'....I knew that's what I wanted to be in this lifetime!!

Thich Nhat Hahn, the Vietnamese Zen master has many short and easy to understand books on Buddhism...

Japanese Pilgrimage by Oliver Statler described a 1400km (850miles) ancient pilgrimage in Japan. I managed to walk that pilgrimage in the early 90's...dharma bumming it in japan!

Island by Huxley, I vote for that one too!

Masked Gods, or anything by Frank Waters about the Pueblo Indians...I moved to Taos and 10 years after I read the book I met him and he autographed it.:)
The Phenomenon of Man by Teilhard de Chardin opened up new perspectives, as did anything 4th way (gurdjieff group)

and can't forget Calvin and Hobbes!!:D

Funny, I just re-read your original post...

The book that I love is "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns. I'm a logical person, and I love this book because he just uses straight-up logic to help people. His basis is that feelings come from our thoughts. Sometimes our thoughts are distorted. To change our negative feelings, we have to change our thoughts. He gets you to practice challenging distorted thoughts which cause negative feelings. It just makes sense to me, so I was able to identify with it so well.

and realized that this sounds remarkably like the book I mentioned ("Self-Coaching"). It is all about how to change your thought patterns to overcome negative feelings. Guess I'll have to check out "Feeling Good" too... :)

And when I read your post, I thought the same thing....I'm generally not all about "self-help" books. I was just browsing around Borders, and I picked that one up, because I had no clue as to what to get. It turns out that it's a great book that's highly recommended by people who know more about that stuff than me! :D

I put yours on my "to read" list! :)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

In no particular order
Illusions -Richard Bach
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert Pirsig
Naked Lunch -William Burroughs
Neuromancer - Wiliam Gibson
The Lord of the Rings -J.R.R. Tolkien
The Cuckoos Egg -Clifford Stoll
A Fire Upon the Deep -Vernor Vinge
The Monkeywrench Gang -Edward Abbey
Homage to Catalonia -George Orwell
1984 -George Orwell
Farenheit 451 -Ray Bradbury

The Power of One - Bryce Courtney
The Alchemist - Paolo Coelo
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

I have also added some of your books to my Read List - Thanks for the awesome thread Vallerina

Blue skies

Sheri

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

dienetics...... by l. ron hubard........ okaynot really but wondering for so manyyears when i was little whatthe hell the book was with the valcano on the comercial did change me.... only took me like 8 years to find out what it is about...... and i still don't reeally know.....

lol!! Trust me they don't have a clue what the stupid things about either. The most complicated money making sceme i've ever heard of! lol

Not sure any books have really changed me that much but the greatest book i have ever read is the hobit. Not exactly the most mature book but i like it just as much ever time i read it.. which is quite a few times..

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" - Dale Carnegie. Reading for anyone in a sales posistion. (I'm not in sales anymore, but still good reading)

The Celestine Prophecy (get me on spelling here-)

The Bible - Read a good portion of both testaments.

MAD magazine.

Anything by Hunter S. Thompson

The Bloom County Chronicles. (Berkley Breathed - You know the guy-!)

Easy Does It

Anam Cara by John O'Donohue with respect to life, death and philosophy.
Mr. God, This is Anna by Fynn for learning and friendship and living life entirely.
Hitchhikers Guide (all of them) by Douglas Adams to learn not to take any of this seriously cuz we could be instantly destroyed any minute to make way for a hyperspatial express route.
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand to understand the need to stand up and be responsible for yourself.
Children of the Earth... Remember by Schim Shimmel for innocent perspecitve

-back to lurking
Karen

edited to add: and who could forget the SIM and how that changed so much!!!B|

The most complicated money making sceme i've ever heard of

its called Religion, and its also one of the most successful money making schemes ever invented...