Vallerina

Weekend numbers!

It was a wrap that quickly cleared.

Also known as canopy deflation. I wouldn't call that a wrap.

I was the one wrapped. I was completely swallowed by the canopy and couldn't see anything except fabric. Looked like a wrap from my perspective, *but* I was wrapped from underneath rather than behind, which made it a fairly mild wrap because there were no suspension lines next to me.

Walt

I like your approach...some others would have nastily hammered the shit out of them right off the bat

Indeed! I would have to agree with Mike on this one. I think he is being rather restrained in his posts.;)
I will admit that CRW intimidates me to no end, then again I flew a wingsuit and still haven't done anything other than 2 way CRW. The things that make you go ...hummm

0:4:1 (my son owes 2 also)

Yea!!! I actually have numbers to post. Coached little league Saturday so I didn't get to the DZ till about 4 but got 3 jumps in. A hop and pop from 4500 with my 9 yr old son along for his first airplane ride. Did some back flips off the step for him, he really enjoyed it, but he didn't like the landing too well, go figure :D. Then made a couple of uneventful 3 ways just for fun. On the last one I get in the pickup van to find my 9 yr old was driving. They let him drive (with supervision of course) out to pick us up and drive all the way back. I had let him steer before sitting on my lap but this was his first time working the pedals too.

Sunday I went out and sat thru the FJC for the first time working on my coach rating. That was interesting. Had one student that we didn't think was going to do very good, she really wasn't paying much attention and was more concerned about her daughter. We were on a student wind hold and caught her drinking in the parking lot so it probably worked out for the best. I got 1 really good 4 way on sunday then the winds came up some more so we turned on the beer light. All and all a great weekend. Not sure who had more fun though me or my son.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

That is why asked the question "Is this correct". I saw the reserve repack thrown in with the rest of the list. That aside, do you not think that it would have been smarter and safer for him to make a couple of familiarization jumps to get used to the DZ and the aircraft? Also, maybe do a couple of jumps to build up to the dock by conducting controlled flight near each other to see how you each react and communicate?

And if it was so low risk then why did it not go as planed and resulted in a malfunction and damage? Everything is relevant on a jump until the jump is completed!

I still don't understand the new aircraft being significant. It was not like going from doing exits from the step on a C-182 to front/front float on a King Air. It was a solo exit out of an Otter.

The reserve repack was because we were at the loft getting the main repaired and his reserve was due in a week, so he got a reserve repack.

Would it have been better to get a couple of familiarization jumps to get used to the DZ? Maybe, but it's a wide-open DZ with loads of outs and he was opening high and staying in close proximity with someone who has made a bunch of jumps at the DZ. There were no worries about finding the DZ. In fact, I kept us directly over the DZ for most of the jump. Before going up, I showed him the landing area, pointed out the ground wind direction and landmarks. During the ride to altitude, an instructor pointed out the DZ and more landmarks around it. He's a very "heads up" guy and he had a very clear picture of the area.

I'll agree that doing a couple of familiarization jumps with each other would not have been a bad idea, but I don't think it would have done anything to prevent the wrap or the canopy damage. There are some things that you simply have to learn by doing and doing an approach and dock, whether it's CRW, RW, or freeflying is one of those things. If it had been a case of using highly unusual gear (e.g. very-mismatched canopies or heavily loaded canopies)--something putting it in a more experimental category of jump, I would see a great deal of value in familiarization jumps.

As far as the risk goes, I never said it was low risk. You said it was high risk and I disagree with that statement. It's more a matter of what we consider to be reasonable risk and doing that type of maneuver under 3000 ft. would have been unreasonable risk. That's not what happened, though.

In skydiving, time and altitude are what we use to build in a safety margin and we made sure we had plenty of both *because* things can and do go wrong. That margin was there at all times during the jump. That being said, I don't know that I'll ever refer to any kind of skydive as being low risk but I will say that this jump was certainly a case of controlled risk.

Walt

alright, having slept on this and come back, a couple things are clear to me. the first is that here on this forum, no one knows the whole story since no one was there but us. you get what we tell you and draw your conclusions. our fault. while crw does frightening me a little, walt is correct, we were playing up high and the "wrap" was NOT a horrific entanglement and did not involve a reserve ride. it cleared right away. we were being really conservative and not doing crazy shit other than just trying to dock once. not too ambitious, IMO.

second, Mike, jump numbers in and of themselves can only tell you so much about someone's knowledge base and skill. for all you know I have better canopy flying and freefall skills than people w/ hundreds of jumps. scoff if you'd like, but that's the feedback I received from AFF instructors at The Farm when I returned to the sport earlier this year. (I certainly have better skills than your dog :P). Your first two posts had nothing constructive to say and came across to me as so many other experience nazi's on here. having read your other posts, i can honestly say that i appreciate your concern.

m

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I was wrapped from underneath rather than behind

The first scary CRW thing that happened to me was the same. Not a wrap, just getting a canopy deflated around me. Except I was hanging upside down in my harness to catch the dock with my hands. I made lots of squeeking noises and decided to spend the rest of the day hanging in the proper orientation.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

:); 8; 0

7 tandem videos and 1 sunset fun jump. :)

Mike Forsythe... thank you for sincerely caring about this sport and the people in it. I have a ton of respect for you and your experience. I like that you have kept your cool completely in that argument, when everyone else seams ready to snap.

Yea! I'm glad U got your ass in the air this weekend! B|

I had a blast with the SDC Furies this weekend! :)It was awesome cuz our last dive was our best dive!! B| Just goes to show that teamwork WORKS!

Thanks a million to the awesome ladies of the Furies, you guys ROCK! And also to Chuck on video, you got the SKILLZ! And thanks for those sweet spots!! :)
Those 6 awesome jumps means I'm up to 80, woo-hoo!! B| Now I've got to go ice my sore biceps. Guess if I'm gonna be tail I've got to build up those muscles. ;)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

sweetB| when i get back you'll be able to do my re-currency jump... Does this mean you're going to be hauling meat soon?

Hell NO, I'm doing my Instructor D and B rel tutor rating, not doing AFF until next year..NEVER doing Tandem rating:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

1 time landing in the CASA:10:I paid with 2 cases

Vortex is back in the MESL. 6 team jumps Sat, 1 Sunday. Filmed a new tandem master and then a paid tandem video. Lots of fun even if the winds were 20 gusting to 25 :ph34r:
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Oh, and I met Grue!

Did he talk Aussie to you? :DB|

When he speaks Aussie it's put on, some of us speak it for real:P:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

>:(:5:4+

Had a great weekend! Took off early from work on Friday to jump a Pac750 (first), first Sunset Tracking Dive (didn't stay with them at all...surprise, surprise), first 4-Way, first time jumping my own pack job (have packed friends LOTS, but, have been on student rigs and don't always re-jump my same rig, thus am not allowed to pack it :)
We had a Pac750 visiting our DZ from Davis. Nice guys! One of the pilots came over and complimented me for getting out of the plane...nice of him I thought, he had a LOT of jumps and took time to compliment a newbie!! (The whole load ended up coming back in, but the four of us who got out early had to walk back!!:S )

:):5:0

For a weekend that was supposed to be shitty weather it did not turn out bad at all. Last dive of the day on Sat I led the tracking dive and got great video of the people chasing me....Had one long ass snivel after pitching Saddled at 1500....eeeekk.. the landing in the tall grass of the wettest part of the wheat field SUCKED....that crap grabbed my feet...but the video... priceless.:P
The Sat night flock to the the mexican cafe..... EGAD.. that was one freakin HUGE steak fajita burrito.

Next weekend is our grand opening... so lots of beer will be consumed at the bonfire.... and lots of Salmon will be smoked (gotta get the right kind of papers for that)

:|(Celibacy is Fun):10::D

6 working jumps, 4 fun jumps, first rear riser glide, popped up a little:$ But i love it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

(Celibacy is Fun):

LIAR! :ph34r:

g

OK - you are right - it's not as fun as I first may have led you to believe.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

(Celibacy is Fun):

LIAR! :ph34r:

g

OK - you are right - it's not as fun as I first may have led you to believe.

Get'cher self a warm apple pie;)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"