Jessica

DZ.commers -- then and now

Registered on Jul 8, 2007

Then: Just graduated college, 22 years old, just moved out of my parents house for the first time to a different city, spent my summer skydiving like crazy and spending my savings account on it. Single, just loving life and my dog.

Now: 23 years old, working full time, just got recurrent and hoping to skydiving once a week if possible. Life is not as pleasant as it was when all I worried about was jumping. :)

you are only .000000000000034% older.

:D:D:D

"If the entire history of the universe were a clock, humans would only have existed for less than one second......Airtwardo would have existed about two minutes."

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Then - 20 years old, Full time college student working 40 hours a week in a job I thought I loved since the pay was great for my limited work expereince. I was living in my own 2 bed room apartment and was single. I had just registered my username so I could contact someone about buying my first rig and was eventually talked into posting in the forums by WildBlue. I basically lived at the DZ on the weekends but was only able to afford 2-3 jumps a day so I sat around a lot and learned I had about 35 jumps at this point. I started traveling a lot after this point.

Now - 27 years old, own a house with 2 cats and a dog. Planning a wedding and starting to get into photography fairly seriously. Working for a company that I respect and doing a job that is exactly what I want it to be. I'm pushing 1350 jumps and I've finally reached the point I am done downsizing canopies. Slowing down in my jumping and only doing 150 jumps or so a year verus the 200-250 I used to do. Showing up before noon to the DZ is cause for alarm. Travel when I want to and no longer have frequent flyer status. Considering getting a Masters degree just to have something to do in the winters.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

THEN: Registered this username June '01. Was working fulltime as an office manager at a social service agency. I had just gotten out of a serious relationship with a whuffo. Lived alone in a studio apartment.. My life revolved around jumping. I was ready to start traveling and jumping. My first trip to go jumping and meet other dzcommers brought me to Ohio where i met phreezone & wildblue. Met Val and several other dzcommers soon after. Was majorly happy!!!

NOW: Work fulltime for a trucking company - good pay, excellent health insurance. I'm also going to school at night and will graduate next year with an Accounting degree. Recently broke up with my bf. Still living in the same tiny studio aprt, but i do have a trailer on the DZ!! Kinda ran out of money and had to take up packing to make extra cash. I cut down on the jumping a lot the last 2 years, but this year i should be able to afford it again.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

then- had just done my AFF level 3 and completely obssesed with jumping and learning more about jumping, single, working at a good company.

now- 154 jumps, still obsessed with jumping and learning more but it's a more skills focused obsession, single, working in a better postion at the same company.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

April the 4th 2003

Then: I had waited almost seven years to post to DZ.com. Was working my way through the big way world. Starting in Oct of 2000 at a POP's event in Eloy. Travel all the time to camps, events. Spent to much time away from the family. Got on the 400 way. Thought I was finished with big ways

Now: Still go to big ways. :P but am more relaxed and enjoy the people a lot more. Doing more four way. Fly my 172 to different dz's. Stay home more

Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

May 12, 2003.
Then: 47 years old, I'd just returned to the sport after a 22 year layoff mostly spent on raising the kids. Had an 18 year old daughter and an unhappy kid in Middle School. My wife was pissed off at me because I'd just quit a job that really sucked - the classic "take this job and shove it" scenario (everyone should try it just once). We'd just moved south from Seattle and were barely getting by, jumping or buying a rig seemed out of the question.

Now: I'm 52, working at a very decent, but HARD working job. The younger kid is in college and loving it, the older kid is living with us and seriously studying at a community college - and making good grades. We finally bought a house in So. Cal (never thought that would happen). I own a nice rig, but have only been making 60 - 75 jumps a year, wishing I could somehow make 100. But I work at it and at Perris I get to make skydives I used to only be able to dream about in somebody else's life. My wife and I will be married 27 years in a few more weeks and we love each other dearly. But I worry all the time about her health, which is not as fortunate as mine.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

hmmmm

Then (old user name): registered 3/4/2001 married facing moving to Japan with a man who was married to his career and I was just an ornament on his arm. Had low self esteem, feared gaining an once & was perpetually on a diet for fear of gaining weight. One year into skydiving had about 100 jumps under my belt, was very successful with my job, but very unhappy.

Now: 7 years later I divorced, and now am engaged to the most wonderful man in the world. I am elated, I am happy, I am content. I may not have the job of my dreams, but the rest of my life is so satisfying that I can't even complain.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

"Then" was just last year, so I'm going to wait until this topic comes around again in a year or so (topic ALWAYS come around again).

;)

SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

Yup, that Clay. Tell him I said hello next time you speak with him. I need his email addy, so I can do it myself.

BTW, I have no clue what happened that led to his ban; so there's no judgment on my part. I also don't want to know.

Dec '04

Then - 36, Working toward A license, registered just to look for gear, single, recently promoted out of my field position into a more office bound job(hated it), living in my apartment in the hood.

Now - 40, A few more jumps, been to a boogie or two(Scott hush), about to buy a 3rd rig, found out I like to wear a nylon skirt, in a good relationship 3 years now, demoted myself back into a field position I'm really good at and like, still living in that same hood.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I decided to play because I'm bored and I love Jessicakes, especially since she stopped posting.:P

1/11/02

Then: Was a 2 tandem wonder who had AFF booked for the following May down at Skydive Space Center. AFF was cancelled after my tunnel training because I injured a nerve in my shoulder and sadly my uncle had a massive heart attack. Flew home and was at his bedside when he died on 5/8/02. I was in my best physical shape in a long time. In a relationship at the time. Had a great job and was making mucho money.

Now: After completing 8 AFF jumps I fell down a flight of stairs, striking my head on a stone floor in Aug '03. Suffered serious truamatic brain injury and a plethora of other injuries. Now single and in the worst shape of my life (but improving tremendously). Still recovering from injury, which turned out to be much more complex than originally thought. I'm currently living in the apartment my uncle lived in. It is connected to my parent's house which works out well for me as I am unable to live alone at this time. Despite all this, I actually have the best outlook on life than ever and have much hope of returning to work and skydiving. Adversity can actually be a great thing.:)

Then: Working towards my A, planning a wedding, living in the same house I was in college with all the same people, working part-time at a job I hated, jumping as much as physically possible.

Now: Have my B, divorced 2 months ago, getting ready to move from one apartment to one about twice the size for less money, working a full-time job that I aboslutly love. For the first time in my life I've been completely on my own with no dependency on anyone. Despite the fact that I have no money being independent feels awesome. :)

And you still have one of the best senses of humor!:D

You've also been a rock for a dz.commer who is very important to me and that I can't thank you enough for.B|

Thanks.

I firmly believe that there should be more silliness in the world. I was out jumping today and, for our third jump, I was trying to talk the others into jumping with our inflatable cow.
:)

Hmmmm. Back then:
December 9, 2002. I was a 29 year old, stay at home Mom of a two year old; just got my AFF rating and a medal at Nationals in 10 Way speed that summer. Found out my husband was having an affair and had much stress and strife from the divorce that ensued. By December 2002, I had no idea that I would face the worst and hardest year of my life in 2003. This was a very stressful time in my life, I was forced to leave my home and friends in Hawaii.

Now: Way less stress, way more happiness. I somehow made it through all that shit and got over it. Thank God, I made it in one piece. I am living life, strong and healthy with my strong and healthy 7 year old daughter, graduating from school next month, own my own home and getting ready to own two. I am getting closer to accomplishing my career and personal goals and dreams. Got my Riggers ticket, witnessed a terrible plane crash and the loss of a home DZ, which transformed my ideas about skydiving in many ways. Other than that, I haven't changed too much in 6 years. I'm still happy go lucky, love to travel, still a student (except with a BS this spring) and onto the next stepping stone, grad school. B|

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Mine is Oct. 19, 2000.

Funny....it says Oct. 18. I guess you lose those editrix skills as you age. :P

Originally registered in Sept. 2000

Then : 41 yr old single with a great job, few responsibilities, and thoroughly enjoying life. Either jumped, thought about jumping, or talked about jumping constantly. Started dissing Jessica, Phree, and wildblue because they could take it as well as dish it out.

Now : 49 yr old, currently between jobs, and planning a wedding in July to a great gal who won't let me jump into my wedding, but says I can jump every day before and after, so I can't complain. No longer talk about jumping to ANY whuffos. No longer diss Jesssica, Phree or Seth because they've lost their ability for witty repartee as they've aged.

Somebody upstream said it best......appreciate the jumping more, but obsess about it less.

This site has provided contact with some very class folks, and although I never say it, I value them very much.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

And you still have one of the best senses of humor!:D

You've also been a rock for a dz.commer who is very important to me and that I can't thank you enough for.B|

Thanks.

I firmly believe that there should be more silliness in the world. I was out jumping today and, for our third jump, I was trying to talk the others into jumping with our inflatable cow.
:)

Cow?? I wanna see. :D
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Registered Apr 26, 2005

Then: 22 yo, 2 jumps, in Collage, Dating brianfry713, broken ankle, jumping as much as possible when not broken.

Now: 25 yo, 45 jumps, in Collage, Dating brianfry713, broken leg, jumping as much as possible when not broken.

Some things never change:D but, I did get my pilots licences when recovering from shoulder surgery. I think that was my biggest accomplishment:)

Fly like a girl

you are only .000000000000034% older.

:D:D:D

"If the entire history of the universe were a clock, humans would only have existed for less than one second......Airtwardo would have existed about two minutes."

Don

Yeah...must be time for a nap! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~