yamtx73

What can we do about gas prices?

Anyone ever look at it this way?

Oil companies have share holders, who want to see company growth which means higher profits. Now with other companies this means selling more of what you have. However it can not work that way for oil companies as they only have so much of their product. So in order to increase profits they must do what??? Raise prices duh!! So until the greedy lying bitches at the oil companies stop wanting to increase their billion dollar profits so that the share holders will have a smile on their face, well we are all screwed.

The best advice really is to buy stock or some other investment vehicle that follows oil prices. Oh oh sorry you missed out on that boat about 100 dollars ago. Now you are just screwed.
Would you like some head and shoulders?:D:D

Move closer to work, ride a bike, walk, carpool, telecommute, shop on the internet. Invest in nuclear fusion now before you regret that. Hell take your pick.:P

Skymama's #2 stalker -

Buy

less

gas.

That's my solution... I usually ride my bike to work... today is unusual because I'm wearing my blues and so I opted to drive... I'd leave early and go for a bike ride this afternoon but I already promised I would pin 1Lt rank on a friend of mine.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

we can't do anything about the price. as long as the supplier keeps getting thier asking price from those demanding it, they will continue to keep the price where it is or even raise it higher. if demand dropped way down and there was excess supply then maybe the price would come down. or if there were more suppliers in the market that could offer gas at a lower price to compete we might see a price drop.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Startt by parking in you neighbours drive and walk home... then the following week park at the next house..... and repeat.... could save a fortune and meet new people into the bargin

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

"Solar hot water for $2500 going in soon, will take another $40/month off my electric bill) "

Wow you will break even in just over 5 years! Of course only if your solar hot water heater doesn't need any maintenance during that time.

That break even is using today's energy costs. If the upward trend in costs continue (which it will) that break even will come sooner and sooner.

I would expect that a quality hot water heater should last at least ten years. Even without rising energy costs, that will save him an average of $250 per year for ten years, after recouping his investment. Also, whatever form of hot water heating you use will require maintenence, so that cost is a wash in comparing solar to gas/electric.

Tax the hell out of gasoline and spend the money on services to taxpayers.

Arabs and oil companies will take less profit, you'll pay more out of pocket but you'll get much of it back in govt services. It's the way they do it in Europe, and it works just fine.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

there is NOTHING to do about the price. There is PLENTY to do to help the average person's situation.

We use 25% of the world's energy and have only 5% of the world's population.

That's changing. There are two billion Chinese and Indians with increasing automobile ownership. They even have traffic jams now.

Of course, with more total oil usage and the same sort of supply the price is going up, up, up...

> More refineries get built gas price goes down.

Nope. Right now the price of gas is tracking the price of oil almost perfectly - and more refineries will not reduce the price of oil. Indeed, if anything that would increase it.

>What can we do about gas prices?

Bike. Get an electric bike. Get a moped. Get a motorcycle. Use E50 instead of gas. Walk. Carpool. Get a more efficient car - Geo Metro, Prius, whatever you want. Move closer to work. Overinflate your tires and go down one viscosity grade on motor oil. Telecommute. Combine trips. Learn the "hypermiler" tricks. Slow down on the freeway.

>What can we do about gas prices?

Bike. Get an electric bike. Get a moped. Get a motorcycle. Use E50 instead of gas. Walk. Carpool. Get a more efficient car - Geo Metro, Prius, whatever you want. Move closer to work. Overinflate your tires and go down one viscosity grade on motor oil. Telecommute. Combine trips. Learn the "hypermiler" tricks. Slow down on the freeway.

Stop using fossil fuels - in airplanes and such.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'll bet your company car gets noticed more on the road than my company car

It does slow my commute down compared to riding my motorcycle. Although you know I was nearly rear ended on the highway by a guy who didn't see my company car. I had to aggressively evade to the shoulder and nearly into the bar ditch. That driver and I had a little chat about that shortly there after.

He didn't see my car because he had been tailgating the vehicle in front of him. Every single other vehicle on the road seemed to have no problem noticing and moving over a lane.:D

Billvon: The tires and motor oil thing will only save you a few pennies in the short term. In the long term you'll end up spending a lot more money due to the added wear on your tires and your engine. With that said, probably 90% of the population do not maintain their vehicle properly, which will save them money in the long run. It could also save gas mileage by having a car that runs how it should.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Whats a set of tires cost for your car?

How about a new motor or getting one rebuilt?

How many miles would you have to travel before you even reached the cost of the now faster wearing tires? I'm asking since I don't know what your mileage is, gas prices in your area, etc. I could make some numbers up, but then I'd be just like the rest of the government and media.:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what can we do?
Get used to it!

Exactly.

Bend over,
Take it,
And say "Thank you sir may I have another".:D

I, for one, bike to work at least 3 days a week. Sometimes more.

I wish I had that option, but I've got a 25 mile drive into work. At least I have a Civic that makes gas tolerable still!

> Whats a set of tires cost for your car?

'Bout $300.

>How about a new motor or getting one rebuilt?

'Bout $4000. Neither of which means much of anything. I've gotten 60K miles out of a set of tires inflated far past the car maker's recommendation (but below the sidewall rating) and 100K out of an engine running on 5W-30 instead of 10W-40. Following a maintenance schedule with a lighter grade of oil is far easier on engines than your average neglect.

Overinflate your tires and go down one viscosity grade on motor oil.

If you really want to to some over-inflation, then buy tires with an LT-rating (Light Truck) instead of Passenger-rating (P). They usually have a 50psi max. I run them on my Wrangler. In the past when I would go on a trip (in DRY conditions), I would run them at 50 just for the trip, then put them back to the vehicles specifications.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

High gas prices aren't just affecting us when we fill up our tanks in our cars/trucks. High gas prices are causing havoc in the industries.

I work for a food broker. Food prices are rising like you wouldn't believe. If you're goal is to try putting less money in oil companies' pockets, plant your own garden, or visit local farmers markets. Buy your meats from a local butcher.

I imagine that other industries are being equally as affected. Instead of going to the mall or a big box retailer, why not go to your local Goodwill or Savers.

It kind of defeats the purpose of buying local if the cost of fuel that it took to get the item close to your home is tacked on to the product.

Now would also be a great time to get to know your neighbors, if you haven't already done so. Take turns carpooling to the grocery store. Do you see each other when you pick the kids up from school? Why not carpool on that too? Instead of going to a movie or driving to Blockbuster to rent a movie, do a movie exchange with your neighbors. You'll not only save on gas money, but you'll also save on movie rental fees.

journeytoforever.org

Start making your own biofuels. Ethanol (apply for a permit) and biodiesel, which will not reduce the engine life. Actually biodiesel has better lubricating properties than the new low sulphur diesel (due to the lower sulphur content).

Journey to forever actually has a lot of good information for becoming more self sufficient. Going back to the way we used to live.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.