yamtx73

What can we do about gas prices?

We bring these prices on ourselves. Look at the cars in Europe, where gas has been MUCH more expensive than ours for years. They have a lot of those tiny Smart cars, and very few trucks/SUVs. But here, we (O.K., most of us) don't want to change. We like our big cars/trucks/SUVs.

How about getting on congress to expand the drilling of oil in the US. People bitch about oil prices, but they're NIMBYs (Not In My Back Yard) when someone wants to drill for oil. We've got ANWR, off the California coast, and many other places with substantial oil reserves. If we rely on the rest of the world for the bulk of our oil, we'll always be at their mercy.

If you personally are taking steps to reduce your conumption, then good for you, but until the majority of the country changes their thinking, we're all screwed.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

This train of thought was started by a chain email I received from my sister-in-law so I thought I'd take a look at where things are and what really could be done about it....
First a little background...
Quoted from MSNBC (dated 1/30/2008):

Exxon Mobil Corp. posted record profits for any U.S. company on Monday — $10.71 billion for the fourth quarter and $36.13 billion for the year — as the world’s biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from high oil and natural-gas prices and solid demand for refined products.

And from the New York Times (dated 5/1/2008):
Exxon Mobil, the world’s largest publicly traded oil company, said Thursday that its first-quarter net income rose 17 percent, boosted by surging oil prices.

But even as it posted the second-most profitable quarter in its history, Exxon’s earnings managed to disappoint investors because of a drop in oil production. Shares closed down $3.37, to $89.70, on a day the Dow industrial average rose 189.87 points. The company missed earnings estimates by a dime a share.***

Now, what can we do about it? Not a hell of a lot really.... We've all heard the "don't buy gas on this day" scheme, and of course it doesn't work because they'll still get their money the following day. The oil companies laugh at such attempts to 'teach them a lesson'.
If we really want to send a message we need a better way to do so. They don't listen to people, they listen to numbers... primarily the numbers showing how many billion they'll make this quarter.
My suggestion is to stop buying gas/diesel/oil from Exxon/Mobile. Not for a day, or a week, but for months.... Their quarterly profits will fall thru the floor and they only way they can turn things around is to lower their prices. If one of the major oil companies HAS to lower their prices to make sales the others will have to follow suit or lose customers.

Let's try to keep this OUT of Speakers Corner....

Absolutely no way around it, you will pay to them or someone else. If youdidnt know we have more coal then the Middle east has oil. We can convert this to coal Slurry and use it for a variety of petroliem products. Bur it wont happen because Huge corps run this country, not the law makers, not the president, MONEY dictates what happens in this country. To many Americans are so uninformed and like it that way. We gave our country to the Corporations willingly.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

My suggestion- lets get jobs at Exxon- and hopefully they have profit sharing!;)

Even better would be to buy Oil company stock... there's no actual work required and you're making money...

you just need to be sure to sell before they run out... :D:ph34r::P

I was reading a story the other day about gas station owners who couldnt make a profit, because the oil companies nickle and dimed them to death, so they sold their stations and bought stock in the oil companies and now are making more money off of that than the station made.

It was a pretty interesting read. The gas companies were raising the lease payment for the gas stations so high the owners couldnt make any money. The owners only make around 7 cents a gallon already, and then they have to pay a franchise lease on top of that. Its kind of sickening to see that the oil companies arent satisfied with the billions they make off of selling the stuff.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!