wmw999

What is the best advice you never got

I.e. what lesson did you learn the hard way, that could have been saved with the right advice.

This is NOT for events where you simply ignored the advice :ph34r:. And extra points are awarded for describing the hard lesson you learned.

For me, it was that in order to be happy, I have to figure out what THINGS makes me happy, and be in charge of it myself. I should not make my happiness dependent on someone else's happiness, and if I want to share a relationship, I have to both communicate what I like, and listen when they communicate what they like. Not to put each other in charge, but just so that we can work together.

It might have helped my first marriage. Got caught up in that "I'm happy if you're happy" thing.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"Don't marry that chicken shit mother fucker."

I swear someone said that to me. He was right.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

"Don't marry that chicken shit mother fucker."

I swear someone said that to me. He was right.

FAIL, that's exactly what Wendy said she DIDN'T want:P

I have nothing in this topic to contribute :| Everything i have stuffed up I have been warned against, I tended (pre skydiving) to not listen to advice much, preferring the suck it and see approach to life
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Despite having a great story mama, Wendy's looking for advice you never got. In my case, it's "Earn, then buy" as opposed to buying and then figuring out how to pay for it. Credit can be good. Debt for 'stuff' is not good.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

I'm not sure which category this fits in, but the best advice I got on a breakup once was from a women who told me exactly the wrong thing to do, which was along the lines of:

"What are you moping around for? Sounds like you're better than this other guy, so go up there and get her back."

Which made me think - did I _want_ her back? And I realized that I didn't. Which is something that all of the "good" advice (i.e. "get over her, she was horrible" etc etc.) never made me think about.

Wendy,

I don't think people aren't getting what you are asking. ;) Maybe, the thread should be retitled "What advice do you wish someone had given you before you learned the hard way" or some such. Or just rename it "The worst advice you ever got" :S because that is what they appear to be posting.

lisa

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

So far, I have led a blessed life, and I use that term honestly. I don't have many huge regrets. Although, I am relatively young and AM married at the moment, so I imagine the greatest regrets of my life are yet to come!

But, one bit of advice I never got that I sure wish I had gotten was:

"If you are a person with no automotive skills, DO NOT under any circumstances attempt to fix up a 1972 Chevy recreational vehicle."

I'm more solvent than I was then, but at the time that P.O.S. nearly bankrupted me.

Now I'm sinking way to much money into my Jeep, but at least that runs well!

Elvisio "rock crawling and sky crawling" Rodriguez

Good god, don't marry him!

My family is a very passive bunch that may say this among themselves, but never to the one who really *should* get the advice. [:/]

. . . However, because of it I've started a sport that we dearly love (skydiving) and have made some awesome friends for life. I really like my life now. All of which would most likely have never happened if it wasn't for the heart break of that relationship ending. :)

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Despite having a great story mama, Wendy's looking for advice you never got.

LOL, you're right. I can't even blame it on drunk posting. I don't know what I was thinking. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Don't ask a buddy to "bump" the starter over with the bottom caps of a rod bearing removed to bring the other pistons down so you can work on them. Go figure, there is enough energy in one stroke to blow a rod through the engine block, if it isn't attached!:S:D:D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

"Finish College before entertaining marriage."

"If you don't have a degree, at least try to gain employment in an area you enjoy."

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

All the high school leadership camps, conflict management classes, afterschool activities, and such, don't mean crap, don't waste your time with them, the real world "leadership" means an entirely different thing.

Also,

Don't waste your time with so many band classes, take a shop class of some sort (woodshop, welding, automotive, etc) to learn some life skills.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

"If you are using this as a means to impress girls, take the money you would spend on this and staple $100 bills to your shirt and walk into a bar."

"Brother, it's a drop zone, she doesn't skydive, she's a drama queen."

"If you EVER have to say the worlds "but she is nice" to explain why you are with a girl you really lowered your standards."

"Next time marry a girl who has her a secure job, has an education and can afford a boob job if she wants one."
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

"Next time marry a girl who has her a secure job, has an education and can afford a boob job if she wants one."

Yeah. That one.:|
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo