mr2mk1g

What would you do: Damn Slow Sunpath

Ok, tell me I'm trolling, but...

I just ordered an Odyssey... I get an email back basically asking me if I'm sure I want to confirm the order as the wait time is 20 - 26 weeks. This would give me the rig in Jan/Feb of next year...>:(

Do I confirm the order (I really want an Odyssey) or change my mind and order a different rig with a quicker delivery time?

If it makes a dif I'm ordering a J3 and putting in it a 190 or 170 (esp if I only get it in feb).

edit: or should I just cancel and wait for one on the second hand market.

I just ordered an Odyssey... I get an email back basically asking me if I'm sure I want to confirm the order as the wait time is 20 - 26 weeks. This would give me the rig in Jan/Feb of next year...

Do I confirm the order (I really want an Odyssey) or change my mind and order a different rig with a quicker delivery time?

that really depends on you. how bad do you really want an odyssey. there are lots of rigs out there, that are just as good as rigs (mirage, V3, wings,infinity just to name a few). if you like the pop top style exposed rigs, then i would go with a wings. i believe the current delievery time is like 6 weeks. or if you like the mirage, i heard they have pretty quick delivery times right now (like 4 to 6 weeks, but i could be wong). V3's, i'm not sure what the deliever time on those are, and the same with the infinity.

but any of the rigs i named you would be very happy with. and the mirage (if you get a G4.1) and wings have the option of a cut in laterals like the odyssey.

i'm not going to push you one way or another, you need to get what you want. i'm just putting some rigs out there that would be good rigs, and there are more out there that i have left out for no reason other than i don't feel like typing any more ;)

later

and the mirage (if you get a G4.1) and wings have the option of a cut in laterals like the odyssey.

I think the Talon and other rigs now offer that option (Talon sticks in my mind coz I just saw their ad in Skydiving this AM).
Remster

I think the Talon and other rigs now offer that option (Talon sticks in my mind coz I just saw their ad in Skydiving this AM).

your right, the talon fs, and voodoo now have that option. it isn't cut in near as much as the other rigs, but it still is.

and again, both of thoses rigs you would be very happy with.

later

How bad do you want an Odyssey? Bad enough to wait until February? Only you can answer that question. Personally, I can't think of anything I want bad enough to wait 6 months for.

or should I just cancel and wait for one on the second hand market.

A J3? Good luck, answer every ad quickly, cuz those are a pretty hot item used.

That's pretty much up to you, but I have decided not to buy a new Odyssey (I have an Odyssey NJ and a Mirage G3 w/ Unisyn) because of the wait times, price increase (that is unreasonable), and Sunpaths general attitude (my opinion obviously), being the biggest seller of sport rigs, and quite full of themselves, I am not ordering a new Odyssey.
Don't get me wrong, the Odyssey is a fantastic rig, but Sunpath is acting kinda like Harley Davidson these days.
I don't know what I will order, probably a G4. I like both my rigs the same, but size-for-size, the Mirage is heavier (with double wall construction and other extra padding). I would have ordered another Odyssey if I felt Sunpath deserved the business.
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

obviously everyone has a different level of patience, but I ordered my Odyssey a while back knowing it had a long wait as I knew I was going to Z-Hills in November and could pick it up myself when I was there and avoid shipping costs :)
I've only ever owned Javelins but that doesn't mean I didn't consider other rigs including all those mentioned above. It is one of those things no-one can help you with - you just have to decide whether you have the patience!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

They are putting out 50 rigs a week. Thats with a lot of staff and a lot of work. I ordered my odyssey and got a date of december. I dont want any other rig so I'll wait for the one I want. Plus I knew I wanted one so I ordered it earlier than I needed it,

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Change your order, let this manufacturer know that it is unacceptable to keep customers waiting half a year for a new rig! There are other rigs out there, Wings and Infinity both have significantly shorter wait times as well as a reduced price tag so you'll have more money for jumps.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I don't understand why Javelin doesn't hire additional staff?

Just my theory, but they have fluctuations in orders. When they are slow, they can get them out fast, when they are busy, they get backed up. If they hire more staff when they are busy, then they will either be paying people to do nothing when they are slow, have to fire the extra staff, or increase the cost of their rigs (a lot) to pay people to do nothing when it is slow.

Same way at a DZ, they could have enough full-time staff that there is zero waiting on their busiest day, but then there isn't enough work for the staff the other 364 days.

I would just accept the delivery time and wait.

Derek

Just my theory, but they have fluctuations in orders. When they are slow, they can get them out fast, when they are busy, they get backed up. If they hire more staff when they are busy, then they will either be paying people to do nothing when they are slow, have to fire the extra staff, or increase the cost of their rigs (a lot) to pay people to do nothing when it is slow

For every customer that is unhappy waiting 26 weeks they loose another potential customer and their competition gains another one .
Hire more people and increase market share !

I demoed a javelin odyssey last weekend. The sunpath guy told me they did hire more people and they are changing their production to try to bring down the delivery time. But they are giving worst case scenario numbers so nobody can complain. It MIGHT not take quite so long (still long though). He said they recently got some very large sport orders from dealers which is the cause of the long waits.

Dave

>Hire more people and increase market share !

Sunpath used to have the majority of the marketshare. They have been losing ground but not by much recently. Look at any bigway pic and at least half the jumpers usually have Jav's on. They used to market a lot mroe then they are now too...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Hire more people and increase market share !

Sunpath used to have the majority of the marketshare. They have been losing ground but not by much recently. Look at any bigway pic and at least half the jumpers usually have Jav's on. They used to market a lot mroe then they are now too...

"Fat Cat Syndrome" ? - happens often to market leaders. They get complacent and things turn bad very quickly after that...
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Just asked myself that same question.
Jumping on rental gear for that waiting time can afford the higher price and faster delivery of a Mirage.

STILL from what i got answers on the "recommendations for a freefly container" thread (dont have the link right here, should be liek one page down), is that they recommend a Wings.
The Wings has cut-in laterals as an option too now, and i'll be getting one. Delivery time w/ rush order is 3weeks production plus custom shipping time. Rig will be up $100 by september 1st.
Mirage delivery is 4 weeks, w/ tie-dye 6 weeks.
These times are company info i got via email early this week cause i asked.

I'm not completely there yet, but i guess i'll get a Wings, its 500$ less than the Mirage with all the same options and rush order.

Btw, don't get in the waz of my rush order! ;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

What qualifications do you need? Master rigger?

I believe so. I'd rather wait for a rig than them hiring people like me (I'm not a master rigger but can sew) to build a life saving device that might fail only because I don't have the full skill set!

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

This is what I *did*:

I bought a Teardrop Superfly from TSE, having played endlessly with colours on their rig designer (on their website), and having terminally bored them with questions. The rig arrived 3 weeks later, exactly when they said it would. It fits, it's neatly made, and so far I've 'saved' about 450 quid that I would have spent hiring shitty, ill-fitting rigs, waiting for an Odyssey.

As near as I can tell, with my limited experience, there are no 'death rigs' being made now. Try and find a bad review of a container by someone who owns it. There are small individual design details that proponents of one system can debate with proponents of another, but they all appear to work. Someone else around here pointed out that when a fellow skydiver criticises a container (or main, or whatever), they can usually be silenced by asking 'how many jumps do you have on xxxx?'.

But hey, we must all ride our own ride...

Regards
John