Jessica

Do you set your brakes as soon as you land? (Be honest.)

I stick the tops into the keepers (keeps them from twisting/dragging, etc and then stow them when I start to pack

Actually, that's exactly what I do too, most of the time. I never let the toggles drag.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Always. I'm too lazy to pack, and it's not packers job to straighten my break lines.

I still make sure to straighten my break lines every few weeks, but I do always stow my toggles in the landing area. I open up my slider at the same time - again, not the packers job.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm with Spy and indyz.

Immediately set my toggles on the riser velcro and stow the brakes when packin'.

Two reasons.
--To get me out of the HOT Southern CA sun as quickly as possible!
--To make room for the other canopies coming down.

Don't want to be a target for either too much sun or too many hooking canopies coming down around the bit of grass we call the 'desired' landing area.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hrm, no poll option for me... when I land, before I take my hands out of the toggles, I stick the tops into the keepers (keeps them from twisting/dragging, etc and then stow them when I start to pack

This one is the winner!!! Me too!!!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

I wait till start to pack. I usually follow the steering lines down from the skirt taking all the twists out of them. This has me thinking though. Is this necessary? I wouldn't mind finding some ways to speed up my packing. Can a twisted up steering line can cause problems right??? But then again if you set them each time you landed there would be less chance of them getting twisted up. Thanks for your imput. Steve1

I too just put the handles on the velcro. And I take out any twin in the brake lines each time I'm setting the breakes when I pack. Unless I'm in a hurry to catch the next load that is. :)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

These posts are great for figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I usually don't stick the velcro parts together after landing. I've also noticed that my new micro steering lines are getting all frayed out. Maybe this is a contributing factor. I'm going to start fastening them in the future. Steve1

Always stow the brakes. I leave it unpacked after the last jump on Sunday and then, in order to remain in touch with my skydiver self, I pack it on Wednesday or Thursday night. At that time, I unwind my brake lines and do a "relatively" thorough inspection. At least it's air conditioned in my packing room (the wife calls it a "living room").
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

>Can a twisted up steering line can cause problems right

Yes, it'll get worn and fuzzy faster. Also on HP-parachutes, if you have enough twists(on one line only), it can cause a built-in turn as one of the steering lines is "shorter" because of the twists.

> But then again if you set them each time you landed there would be
>less chance of them getting twisted up.

Not in my experience; Somehow most people do one or one-half twist on at least one of the steering lines when they set the brakes. Doing the same moves over and over again causes the twists to build up on the steering line(s).

Erno

I do not set my brakes while I am standing out in the middle of the landing area because I would rather deal with it all inside the nice, airconditioned packing room at the school. I am very peculiar about my brakes, so setting them out on the DZ with the rig over my shoulders would just have me standing around in the sun getting sweaty longer than I care to be.

As for "always" doing anything, that is just a matter of having a set procedure for everything you do. I don't forget to cock my pilot chute because it's so ingrained. Likewise, I have a certain time I deal with my brakes (actually twice).

Chuck